Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2705526

Subject: "Lauryn Hill Returning to NYC, Talks Persecution, Institutional Racism R..." Previous topic | Next topic
replacingtime
Member since Oct 16th 2007
576 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lauryn Hill Returning to NYC, Talks Persecution, Institutional Racism R..."
Sat Jun-02-12 10:14 AM by replacingtime

Just weeks off her European tour, Ms. Lauryn Hill is returning to New York City for a special one-night show at the Highline Ballroom on Saturday. Back in 2010, Ms. Hill angered fans in Brooklyn when she showed up three hours late to a concert there, but Saturday's show starts "promptly at 8 pm (for real!)," according to a statement from the singer's camp.

Ms. Hill says in a statement that she enjoys performing live, explaining that hitting the stage "allows me a direct (rapport) with the audience, without any external agendas to try and skew or manipulate our exchange." She adds, "It also allows the many living ideas in my brain a place of expression, in real time!!"

The Grammy Award-winner hasn't released an official studio album since her 1998 solo debut The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. As for why that is, she says in a statement that, "unbeknownst to my fans, I have experienced severe persecution and seen institutional racism, denial, and inequity wage its aggression, both covertly and overtly at me, simply for trying to be an authentic expression of Truth and Love to the best of my ability!"

Ms. Hill adds that all the while, she's been trying to "heal, decolonize my mind and emotions, and protect and raise my children in freedom, safety, whole, in tact, and in good health... which this paradigm, in its current state, is little set up to do."

She continues, "Black mediocrity, black dysfunction, hopelessness and despair, black compromise and black disability... yes, these archetypes it seems to wholeheartedly allow... but black giftedness, black divine right, black intelligence, wisdom, and noble beauty it works very hard to disallow!"

Ms. Hill is looking forward to her upcoming NYC show, writing, "NYC remains an important landmark, and place of critical dialogue!"

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Saturday, June 2, 2012 at 6:00AM Music News Group Permalink
in Urban, Urban AC

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-news/2012/6/2/lauryn-hill-returning-to-nyc-talks-persecution-institutional.html#ixzz1weGrSNeC

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
smh
Jun 02nd 2012
OK, who's seen her RECENTLY? is this worth it?
Jun 02nd 2012
She's a weirdo, but I believe her.
Jun 02nd 2012
RE: Lauryn Hill Returning to NYC, Talks Persecution, Institutional Racis...
Jun 02nd 2012
given her subject matter and her goin in at the vatican
Jun 02nd 2012
Official Statement
Jun 02nd 2012
wow
Jun 02nd 2012
Peace to Ms. Hill
Jun 03rd 2012
any reports from the show?
Jun 03rd 2012
yes, all positive actually. she even played on time
Jun 03rd 2012
      I'm glad to see positive reviews but.....
Jun 03rd 2012
           it's absurd, but apparently it was a packed house
Jun 03rd 2012
           honestly, for the show she put on
Jun 04th 2012
oh who gives a fuck
Jun 03rd 2012
Love and Peace to Ms Hill
Jun 04th 2012
      and sometimes you DO understand them and know they're whacked
Jun 04th 2012
           RE: and sometimes you DO understand them and know they're whacked
Jun 05th 2012
she sounds like one of those smart dumb mfers...
Jun 05th 2012
Also does this quote right here mean what I think it means?
Jun 05th 2012
didnt black milk open up for her?
Jun 05th 2012

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "smh"
In response to Reply # 0

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "OK, who's seen her RECENTLY? is this worth it?"
In response to Reply # 0

my feeling is that she's been waaay too inconsistent for me to drop 300 on a pair of tix - is that fair?

last time i saw her in any capacity was doing 2 joints on jimmy fallon in the last year or two...and it wasn't pretty.

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 10:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "She's a weirdo, but I believe her. "
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

spidey
Charter member
13126 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 12:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: Lauryn Hill Returning to NYC, Talks Persecution, Institutional Racis..."
In response to Reply # 0

...damn, she done really lost her mind....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

mwasi kitoko
Member since Jul 15th 2007
60768 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 01:35 PM

5. "given her subject matter and her goin in at the vatican"
In response to Reply # 0

i believe it

www.royallegacy.org
http://therapfest.com/up-next-artists/

replacingtime
Member since Oct 16th 2007
576 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 01:47 PM

6. "Official Statement"
In response to Reply # 0

Press Release posted on twitter @MsLaurynHill contains complete statement from Lauryn.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/782/591336242.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 05:10 PM

7. "wow"
In response to Reply # 6

that's even worse on the official release than it appeared in the swipe...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

revolver_ministries
Member since Apr 25th 2012
61 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 08:38 AM

8. "Peace to Ms. Hill"
In response to Reply # 0

Confronted with mad maternity, the inability to artistically connect with Pras and Wyclef like she used to, a huge gap between the last opus and any semblance of new product...I admire her hutzpa and conservative outlook on the industry. Like, to me, she misses her fans, and chances to reach them, but is not so thirsty as to step over dead and living elephants in her artistic perimeter.

*Formerly known as OKP "Nathaniel"

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 11:19 AM

9. "any reports from the show?"
In response to Reply # 0

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 06:07 PM

10. "yes, all positive actually. she even played on time"
In response to Reply # 9

rollingstone: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lauryn-hill-returns-to-new-york-20120603

Bet: http://www.bet.com/news/music/2012/06/03/lauryn-hill-concert-review-i-was-always-on-my-way-back.html

Both great reads

HighVoltage
Member since Jan 04th 2004
16583 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 07:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "I'm glad to see positive reviews but....."
In response to Reply # 10

where the hell does she get the nerve to charge $125 per ticket when she publically announced a key part of the show was to gain her fans trust back after sloppy live shows? If this was the old Lauryn, I'd still question the price tag unless this was at Carnegie Hall or something.... but I still can't get over someone with such a shaky career at the moment demanding that price. Her name still carries some weight, but that's insanely priced regardless

~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.itsallthewaylive.net

www.twitter.com/allthewaylive

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 07:40 PM

12. "it's absurd, but apparently it was a packed house"
In response to Reply # 11

these are the most expensive i've seen for general admissions. I know tickets were 75 when she played in dc. Still kicking myself for missing that show. She performed a new song with the bassist from Bad Brains.

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Mon Jun-04-12 05:46 PM

15. "honestly, for the show she put on"
In response to Reply # 11

based on what everyone said
i would have dropped 125
but the chances of it being the show that it was....i just wasnt willing to roll those dice. not for 125. not with her history.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Sun Jun-03-12 07:46 PM

13. "oh who gives a fuck"
In response to Reply # 0

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

princeguy
Charter member
977 posts
Mon Jun-04-12 03:59 PM

14. "Love and Peace to Ms Hill"
In response to Reply # 13

She's still that lady.

Respect to Lauryn.

People need to stop calling people crazy. Dave Chapelle said it best. It's dismissive. It's usually when YOU can't understand someone, you dismiss them and call them crazy. It's too easy.

Princeguy reviews:

"No pretentiousness.

No pompous re-interpretations.

Sometimes, a movie is just a movie. You work hard for your money.

The decision is yours.

See and enjoy what YOU like."

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Mon Jun-04-12 07:24 PM

16. "and sometimes you DO understand them and know they're whacked"
In response to Reply # 14

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

spidey
Charter member
13126 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 12:29 AM

17. "RE: and sometimes you DO understand them and know they're whacked"
In response to Reply # 16

LOL...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 08:52 AM

18. "she sounds like one of those smart dumb mfers..."
In response to Reply # 0

decolonize her mind? lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 09:10 AM

19. "Also does this quote right here mean what I think it means?"
In response to Reply # 0

""unbeknownst to my fans, I have experienced severe persecution and seen institutional racism, denial, and inequity wage its aggression, both covertly and overtly at me, simply for trying to be an authentic expression of Truth and Love to the best of my ability!"

Is that a roundabout way to say her album got shelved back in the day? Like maybe she really did turn in studio versions of her more righteous songs and Columbia didn't bite. They pushed "Lose Myself" for a soundtrack, but that was one of the few songs her label bit at.

It's like they want a billboard hit and she wants to make Reggae Rap Rock, and she hasn't turned in a catchy enough compromise song.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

FilthyMcNasty
Member since Feb 12th 2008
329 posts
Tue Jun-05-12 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
20. "didnt black milk open up for her?"
In response to Reply # 0

i saw him post on twitter he was opening for her....

Lobby The Lesson topic #2705526 Previous topic | Next topic