Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2703952

Subject: "Denny challenges Maxxx to critique the song herein:" Previous topic | Next topic
denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue May-29-12 01:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Denny challenges Maxxx to critique the song herein:"

It's called 'Wrong Opinion' by NY hipster act 'Chairlift':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk0WHOM-acU&feature=relmfu

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the chick sounds like Til Tuesday meets the cranberrys
May 29th 2012
Cheers.
May 29th 2012
      sounds like early 80's synth pop i use to listen to
May 29th 2012
           the thing is....
May 29th 2012
                lets not get it twisted they are not the Eurhythmics or the Carpenters
May 29th 2012
                     You can listen to that whole album
May 29th 2012
                     Also....
Jun 01st 2012
                     Bingo - Maxx be on point
Feb 12th 2013
maxxx baiting, hyperbole in the other topic, and ironic song title aside
May 30th 2012
nothing particular stand out about the act
May 30th 2012
i understand where you're coming from with this
May 30th 2012
      oh yeah if you want til tuesday and everything but the girl
May 30th 2012
Nothing like that.....
May 31st 2012
      i don't really hear anything distinictive about them like that
Jun 01st 2012
           Very much like the Carptenters here:
Jun 01st 2012
                ain't no Karen Carpenter talent in there Man
Jun 01st 2012
                No.....
Jun 01st 2012
                i mean, if it's Karen Carpenter you're after,
Jun 01st 2012
lol
May 31st 2012
piece f trash i got more clue than you can imagine
May 31st 2012
      lol, but you ever so clearly don't, maxxx.
May 31st 2012
      turkey you can't hang with me on no music talk
May 31st 2012
           you're full of shit.
May 31st 2012
                typical player hater and a typical Stan behavior
May 31st 2012
                     oh, maxxx
Jun 01st 2012
                          Question.....
Jun 01st 2012
                          i think that they're pretty much at the top of the heap
Jun 01st 2012
                               Hmmmm
Jun 01st 2012
                               i think your enthusiasm is well-founded.
Jun 01st 2012
                               great track but wrong nite jewel appreciation moment
Jun 01st 2012
                          so is your momma
Jun 01st 2012
                               you talk like you're homeless.
Jun 01st 2012
                                    i talk like a Pimp and got phat pockets turkey.
Jun 01st 2012
                                         sure you do.
Jun 01st 2012
                                         Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!
Jun 01st 2012
      Pay him no mind Brother Maxxx. He ain't worth your time.
Jun 01st 2012
           You are very ugly.
Jun 02nd 2012
let's hear it for the carpenters huh they were good
Feb 12th 2013

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue May-29-12 01:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the chick sounds like Til Tuesday meets the cranberrys "
In response to Reply # 0

its cool and very mid 80's sounding. it ain't great or anything like that. catchy for synth pop and works in that medium.

could be effective in a movie scene and i can see a visual their.

if this is considered the best thing over the past 20 years then Enya is on Carol King's level and that ain't even close to the truth IMO.

this is better than a certain amount of things in modern pop and yet its right in the middle as well.

i'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

denny
11281 posts
Tue May-29-12 01:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Cheers."
In response to Reply # 1

But methinks you underestimate it.

I beg for your opinion of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XRKr19jIE

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue May-29-12 02:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "sounds like early 80's synth pop i use to listen to"
In response to Reply # 2

its cool for what it is and it could have worked in the early 90's as well,however its more about Production than Songwriting. catchy and good for radio, however no depth and you can't sink your teeth into it.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

denny
11281 posts
Tue May-29-12 02:23 AM

4. "the thing is...."
In response to Reply # 3
Tue May-29-12 02:25 AM by denny

songwriting is incredible in this new hot pop music duo. Real love when you watch this video. They can rocknroll too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKuhrPnLq8

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Tue May-29-12 03:28 AM

5. "lets not get it twisted they are not the Eurhythmics or the Carpenters"
In response to Reply # 4

its cool for what they do, however i ain't heard a thing from those clips and elsewhere when I'm saying and thinking the Carpenters would have had anything to worry about.

dude you seem to forget I've been around a while and heard the cream of the crop.
and this act is maybe almost good at best, however nothing special IMO

denny
11281 posts
Tue May-29-12 03:38 AM

6. "You can listen to that whole album"
In response to Reply # 5

Real songs, real production.

It's called 'Something'

denny
11281 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:56 AM

21. "Also...."
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Jun-01-12 12:58 AM by denny

It's interesting you mentioned the Carpenters. In the melody structure I can see that in a couple other tunes they did too. And also the vocal delivery. But can't help thinking that influence was gotten via third party. Ie sade. or Kate Bush.

Artful Dodger
Member since Nov 20th 2009
8361 posts
Tue Feb-12-13 01:03 PM

38. "Bingo - Maxx be on point"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Feb-12-13 01:04 PM by Artful Dodger

I even hate Rkelly but because of this man I have to at least consider him - everything else coming from Maxx is dead on.

He's schooling cats without the dissertation.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed May-30-12 08:15 AM

7. "maxxx baiting, hyperbole in the other topic, and ironic song title aside"
In response to Reply # 0

nice song, denny

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed May-30-12 11:15 AM

8. "nothing particular stand out about the act"
In response to Reply # 7

if you are into early 80's artic freeze synth based cuts well alright,however its nothing i haven't heard done a 100 times better by other acts. feels kind of novelty if you ask me.

howisya
39983 posts
Wed May-30-12 11:19 AM

9. "i understand where you're coming from with this"
In response to Reply # 8

it's a sound that calls back to music from the '80s not everyone likes or wants to hear again, but i think they are good songwriters and musicians who pull it off. there are a lot of people doing this style, but this is some of the better music in this vein out now, at least from the songs i've heard.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed May-30-12 09:21 PM

10. "oh yeah if you want til tuesday and everything but the girl"
In response to Reply # 9

type of acts then yeah, however this mess is cute and predictable and nothing that merits even being talked about in a 5 year window let alone a 10.

dime a dozen cute act.

denny
11281 posts
Thu May-31-12 11:54 PM

17. "Nothing like that....."
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Jun-01-12 12:00 AM by denny

Me and Maxxx post late at night. I assume he works a nightshift too. He was posting at the time I made the thread. Nothing more.

In any case....I am interested in Max' opinion when an act shows a gift for songwriting imo cause that's something he might appreciate even when the style/genre isn't his thing.

I happen to think this specific group is MUCH better than any other band they get lumped in with (from what I've heard of course). I don't even normally listen to music like this. They stick out to me. Only a couple friends share my enthusiasm. Most people just shrug their shoulders. I find it confusing.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:30 AM

26. "i don't really hear anything distinictive about them like that"
In response to Reply # 17

its alright, however its accessible and kinda catchy but nothing i can say I'd buy or hear that stuff being covered 5 or 10 years down the line.

if they had something like the Carpenters then we are talking,but i don't hear nothing like that here.

denny
11281 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 03:01 AM

28. "Very much like the Carptenters here:"
In response to Reply # 26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-JWIuEmaV4

Very clear to see. Still think it's a third-person influence though.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 03:20 AM

31. "ain't no Karen Carpenter talent in there Man"
In response to Reply # 28

i know you trying and you are cool peoples however naw the carpenters have so many things

denny
11281 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 03:27 AM

33. "No....."
In response to Reply # 31

It's great modern pop music. You really do love it Maxxx. It's alright. Rest your head in the swollen bosom of popular songwriting.

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 03:23 AM

32. "i mean, if it's Karen Carpenter you're after,"
In response to Reply # 28

rumer - am i forgiven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z7Uxo625w

ninjitsu
4151 posts
Thu May-31-12 12:01 AM

11. "lol"
In response to Reply # 0

like maxxx has a clue.

come on.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu May-31-12 03:54 AM

12. "piece f trash i got more clue than you can imagine"
In response to Reply # 11

however i gotta get asked about some corny enya sounding early 80's synth pop cute act that is a dime a dozen and smile

ninjitsu
4151 posts
Thu May-31-12 04:59 AM

13. "lol, but you ever so clearly don't, maxxx."
In response to Reply # 12

you have a most unjustly inflated opinion of yourself.

and

that is all.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu May-31-12 09:15 PM

14. "turkey you can't hang with me on no music talk"
In response to Reply # 13

and in truth only about 20-25 folks in here can truly hang, the rest are in cliques and are spineless and you can Quote me on that.

ninjitsu
4151 posts
Thu May-31-12 11:34 PM

15. "you're full of shit."
In response to Reply # 14
Thu May-31-12 11:35 PM by ninjitsu

you always have been.

which is funny because

you aren't worth shit.

so i don't know how that works.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu May-31-12 11:50 PM

16. "typical player hater and a typical Stan behavior"
In response to Reply # 15

I'm your Hero and Idol on here and you have to stalk behind me and Show your Stan ways 1)

if I say jump then you gear up like you is a Broke version of Kriss Kross and go how high? you can't hang with me on no music talk and you have to resort to cursing and swearing to make a lame attempt so its nothing but a double negative coming out of your mouth.2)

if I'm lying watch you will post behind him because you gotta follow the Leader and your jive turkey self can't help yourself trying to talk behind me and be vulgar like some of the pieces of Debris in here do 3)

ninjitsu
4151 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:03 AM

18. "oh, maxxx"
In response to Reply # 16

you're such a silly bitch.

denny
11281 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:13 AM

19. "Question....."
In response to Reply # 18

How do you think Chairlift stands with the other hipster bands? Or at least the other ones they sound similar to?

ninjitsu
4151 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 12:34 AM

20. "i think that they're pretty much at the top of the heap"
In response to Reply # 19

there are others like

nite jewel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YMmX1f5sQI&feature=related

and

niki & the dove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2f6UbMnlq4

and

frankie rose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE56wTNj7J0

who you should check out.

actually, frankie rose probably gives chairlift a run for their money.

denny
11281 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:05 AM

22. "Hmmmm"
In response to Reply # 20
Fri Jun-01-12 01:06 AM by denny

I try to hear it....can appreciate the subtle songwriting in some of that stuff too. But it always seems to be either the song isn't there or it's the production. It's all underwhelming to me in comparison to Chairlift. I feel like a 16 year old girl. Gonna get a poster over my bed and write 'Mike loves ?' on my notebook. I heart chairlift.

ninjitsu
4151 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:07 AM

23. "i think your enthusiasm is well-founded."
In response to Reply # 22
Fri Jun-01-12 01:10 AM by ninjitsu

chairlift really are that good.

what do you think of bear in heaven?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITaMHcTWXOU

also

new look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqIxnLWegk&feature=related

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 03:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
29. "great track but wrong nite jewel appreciation moment"
In response to Reply # 20

though I'm hooked on that album.

it's this one (as far as recent shtuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejh3dkmldck

or she's watching you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WUKK5f1iu4

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:28 AM

24. "so is your momma"
In response to Reply # 18

and that is why a test tube reject like you was born lame brain turkey.

keep talking trash.

ninjitsu
4151 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 01:30 AM

25. "you talk like you're homeless."
In response to Reply # 24

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 02:17 AM

27. "i talk like a Pimp and got phat pockets turkey."
In response to Reply # 25

fresh threads and cool as a 7 up with or without the ice

ninjitsu
4151 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 03:07 AM

30. "sure you do."
In response to Reply # 27

truekolor
Member since Oct 02nd 2003
1330 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 06:53 PM

34. "Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!"
In response to Reply # 27

GET EM!!!!!

Otis Oliver Ocean
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
1471 posts
Fri Jun-01-12 07:39 PM

35. "Pay him no mind Brother Maxxx. He ain't worth your time."
In response to Reply # 12

denny
11281 posts
Sat Jun-02-12 05:13 AM

36. "You are very ugly."
In response to Reply # 35

There's no reason why we have to see your face.

Also....Justin and Maxx may be bickering uselessly here....but they both represent perspectives that value songwriting on this board. Not many others like that here. I would hope that some common ground could be found.

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Feb-12-13 12:47 PM

37. "let's hear it for the carpenters huh they were good"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2703952 Previous topic | Next topic