Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2703015

Subject: "M.I.A. signs with Roc Nation (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
dunk
Member since Aug 05th 2006
8024 posts
Thu May-24-12 05:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"M.I.A. signs with Roc Nation (swipe)"

http://www.thefader.com/2012/05/24/m-i-a-signs-with-roc-nation/

Roc Nation, the entertainment company created by Jay-Z and Live Nation, has announced that they’ve signed M.I.A. to a management deal (she’ll maintain her record deal with Interscope). She joins the ranks with other Roc-signees Santigold, her longtime collaborator Switch and Rihanna, who congratulated M.I.A. this afternoon. M.I.A. is currently finishing her fourth full-length, Matangi, as well as a self-titled autobiography which should be out in October. M.I.A. is currently working on a remix for her song “Bad Girls” with her protege, Rye Rye, Missy Elliott and Azealia Banks. Following this development, perhaps Rihanna will jump on too?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Won't be that surprised if her new album has lots of guests
May 24th 2012
people seem to love that Vikki Mixx she did
May 24th 2012
It won back critics and some fans but the whole single track thing
May 24th 2012
i think a lot of people never gave MAYA a fair shot
May 24th 2012
Agree nobody gave it a fair chance but disagree with consistency
May 24th 2012
It was the NYT article. She should sue that bitch
May 26th 2012
i think a lot of people never gave MAYA a fair shot
May 24th 2012
Power move. And a couple weeks after signing Meek Mill
May 24th 2012
SHe really was the bright spots on that RYE RYE Album
May 24th 2012
RE: M.I.A. signs with Roc Nation (swipe)
May 25th 2012
yeah, she's not even hot, like a fat Vashtie
May 25th 2012
okp is a strange place
May 26th 2012
Wow. Niggas is still mad.
May 26th 2012
      still
May 26th 2012
nas lost
May 25th 2012
more tracks with Munchi and whoever did "Listen Up" please!!!
May 25th 2012
don't they have Casey Veggies now too
May 26th 2012
don't they have Casey Veggies now too
May 26th 2012
I'm looking forward to this:
May 26th 2012

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Thu May-24-12 05:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Won't be that surprised if her new album has lots of guests"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked her last album but I know a lot of ppl hated it, to some the final proof that she has no talent and without diplo she's a mess. So I can see her trying to get back that "Paper Planes" type radioplay and the easiest way for her is guest spots. Her middle finger at the Super Bowl (As lame as it was) was probably the most memorable part of that whole Madonna album & promotion but it showed that she's ok with going mainstream.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu May-24-12 05:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "people seem to love that Vikki Mixx she did"
In response to Reply # 1

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

zuma1986
9085 posts
Thu May-24-12 06:06 PM

6. "It won back critics and some fans but the whole single track thing"
In response to Reply # 3

hurt it from having a large impact (We live in the ADD generation afterall) until she released a better version of "Bad Girls" as a single/video. Although even as much love and internet buzz as that video got there was no airplay, which isn't everything but you can tell she's after. The remix should attract a lot of buzz though and most likely will get some play if it lives up to it's hype

dunk
8024 posts
Thu May-24-12 06:01 PM

"i think a lot of people never gave MAYA a fair shot"

with that slanderous new article and diplo talking shit, it seemed like a lot of people jumped on the hater bandwagon. Plus she switched her sound up a bit for MAYA, which alienated tons of people who only knew her for "Paper Planes" and expected a standard hip hop album (i knew people who didn't like Kala cause they wanted 10 more "Paper Planes" clones on the album). I'm sure if people gave that album another listen now, they'd notice how damn good it is. Is it as consistent as Kala? Naw, but it's still a solid record.

As for the new record, i think it'll be the same sound as Vicki Leekx. Really, she seems to have honed in on that diplo/switch, timbaland production fusion. Working with Danja seemed like a natural next step and I think some more dubstep, punk and ska might find its way into the album as well. Essentially, the same sounds but with a new flip.

zuma1986
9085 posts
Thu May-24-12 06:32 PM

7. "Agree nobody gave it a fair chance but disagree with consistency"
In response to Reply # 0

I assume you were talking about consistency of sound throughout her career and not quality. Eitherway I've always felt like she's tried to expand the dynamic of her music and adding more layers with each release. Arular was very flat sounding but trying to have as much going on and bouncy as possible. Kala was a fuller and fresher version of that sound by tons of different styles and flavours. Maya was almost bomb squad-like by trying to stack as many sounds and effects on top of each other as possible on some songs (Particularly Tequila and Steppin Up). But most fans especially the ones who only like Arular just want fun bouncy beats

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat May-26-12 07:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "It was the NYT article. She should sue that bitch"
In response to Reply # 0

MIA would be unfukwitable if not for that article

Its like she was attacked by all the hipster angst
in the galaxy all at once

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

dunk
8024 posts
Thu May-24-12 06:01 PM

5. "i think a lot of people never gave MAYA a fair shot"
In response to Reply # 1

with that slanderous new article and diplo talking shit, it seemed like a lot of people jumped on the hater bandwagon. Plus she switched her sound up a bit for MAYA, which alienated tons of people who only knew her for "Paper Planes" and expected a standard hip hop album (i knew people who didn't like Kala cause they wanted 10 more "Paper Planes" clones on the album). I'm sure if people gave that album another listen now, they'd notice how damn good it is. Is it as consistent as Kala? Naw, but it's still a solid record.

As for the new record, i think it'll be the same sound as Vicki Leekx. Really, she seems to have honed in on that diplo/switch, timbaland production fusion. Working with Danja seemed like a natural next step and I think some more dubstep, punk and ska might find its way into the album as well. Essentially, the same sounds but with a new flip.

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Thu May-24-12 05:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Power move. And a couple weeks after signing Meek Mill"
In response to Reply # 0

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu May-24-12 05:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "SHe really was the bright spots on that RYE RYE Album"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm looking for more MIA.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Mr. Merge
Member since Dec 29th 2005
1947 posts
Fri May-25-12 07:00 PM

8. "RE: M.I.A. signs with Roc Nation (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't get what her appeal is. Can't sing or rap for shit,WUT DO.

---------------------------------------
http://redesignyourmindmuzik.podomatic.com/

www.soundcloud.com/redesignyourmindmuzik

www.redesignyourmindmuzik.bandcamp.com/

www.youtube.com/user/thesirmittens

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Fri May-25-12 07:24 PM

10. "yeah, she's not even hot, like a fat Vashtie"
In response to Reply # 8

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat May-26-12 01:07 AM

14. "okp is a strange place"
In response to Reply # 10

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat May-26-12 12:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Wow. Niggas is still mad. "
In response to Reply # 8

Why?

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat May-26-12 12:55 AM

13. "still"
In response to Reply # 12

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41504 posts
Fri May-25-12 07:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "nas lost"
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Fri May-25-12 07:43 PM

11. "more tracks with Munchi and whoever did "Listen Up" please!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Sat May-26-12 02:11 AM

15. "don't they have Casey Veggies now too"
In response to Reply # 0

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Sat May-26-12 02:11 AM

16. "don't they have Casey Veggies now too"
In response to Reply # 0

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14079 posts
Sat May-26-12 03:46 AM

17. "I'm looking forward to this:"
In response to Reply # 0

>M.I.A. is currently working on a remix for her song “Bad
>Girls” with her protege, Rye Rye, Missy Elliott and Azealia
>Banks.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2703015 Previous topic | Next topic