Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2696598

Subject: "WTF?! Tom Gabel of 'Against Me' is Transgender (pic & swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Tue May-08-12 09:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"WTF?! Tom Gabel of 'Against Me' is Transgender (pic & swipe)"

http://www.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/tom-gabel-of-against-me-comes-out-as-transgender-20120508/large_main.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-gabel-of-against-me-comes-out-as-transgender-20120508

Tom Gabel of Against Me! Comes Out as Transgender
Singer reveals plans to begin living as a woman in the new issue of Rolling Stone

Comment17
By ROLLING STONE
May 8, 2012 9:45 PM ET

Tom Gabel at his recording studio in St. Augustine, Florida.
Cass Bird
Against Me! singer Tom Gabel reveals plans to begin living as a woman in the new issue of Rolling Stone. Gabel, who has dealt privately with gender dysphoria for years, will soon begin the process of transition, by taking hormones and undergoing electrolysis treatments.

Gabel will eventually take the name Laura Jane Grace, and will remain married to her wife Heather. "For me, the most terrifying thing about this was how she would accept the news," says Gabel. "But she's been super-amazing and understanding."

Gabel only told a handful of family and friends about her plan to transition before talking to Rolling Stone. Because this is the first time a major rock star has come out as transgender, the singer made a point of speaking openly about it. "I'm going to have embarrassing moments," says Gabel, "and that won't be fun. But that's part of what talking to you is about – is hoping people will understand, and hoping they'll be fairly kind."

The full story of Gabel's transformation is in the latest issue, on newsstands this Friday (May 11th). In it, the singer tells Josh Eells about her history of gender dysphoria, the specifics of the transition process and what becoming Laura Jane Grace will mean for the future of Against Me!

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-gabel-of-against-me-comes-out-as-transgender-20120508#ixzz1uKuSW6zA

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Against Me suck horsecock. Good for him though.
May 08th 2012
thats where im at. n/m
May 08th 2012
Something similar happened a few years ago with another band
May 08th 2012
That's gotta be some cray shit to deal with for his wife.
May 08th 2012
As long as she's got a solid headgame and will be a bottom. no homo
May 08th 2012
Genesis P-Orridging
May 08th 2012

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Tue May-08-12 09:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Against Me suck horsecock. Good for him though."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-08-12 09:45 PM by CondoM

Uhhh... her.

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Tue May-08-12 10:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "thats where im at. n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue May-08-12 09:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Something similar happened a few years ago with another band"
In response to Reply # 0

Life of Agony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Caputo

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Tue May-08-12 10:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "That's gotta be some cray shit to deal with for his wife."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-08-12 10:02 PM by Madvillain 626

Imagine one day your husband comes to you and says "yo, i think i'm gunna become a chick. hope you don't mind kinda sorta being a lesbian!"

Would any of the dudes in here be supportive if the reverse situation happened? Your wife/gf comes up to you like "Honestly, I'd rather be a bro. I'm going through with it."

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Tue May-08-12 10:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "As long as she's got a solid headgame and will be a bottom. no homo"
In response to Reply # 3

>Would any of the dudes in here be supportive if the reverse
>situation happened? Your wife/gf comes up to you like
>"Honestly, I'd rather be a bro. I'm going through with it."

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

Ghetto Black
Member since Dec 24th 2004
10172 posts
Tue May-08-12 10:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Genesis P-Orridging"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2696598 Previous topic | Next topic