Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2695510

Subject: "late pass me, but was Jay-Z throwing subliminals at 50 on The Prelude" Previous topic | Next topic
forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Sun May-06-12 06:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"late pass me, but was Jay-Z throwing subliminals at 50 on The Prelude"

i'm talking about the first song on Kingdom Come. Jay says something like

the game's fucked up
niggas beats are bangin, nigga you hooks did it
ya lyrics didn't, your gangsta look did it

in the first stanza. was he going at 50? i was on a self-imposed vacay from hip-hop when this album dropped and i wasn't really a Jay fan at the time so this album kinda was off of my radar, but those lines kinda jumped out at me when listening to the album after some time away from it.

also, is the reason this album isn't regarded as 'good' by Jay-Z is because he's not rapping about his street life past? granted there are some filler tracks on Kingdom Come, mainly towards the end, but I thought it was good, maybe not as good as The Black Album or some of Jay's better albums.

so could someone pass on what was the critical approval of the album when it dropped?

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think that was aimed torwards Game
May 06th 2012
A lot of folks claim that people disliked it because it wasn't about
May 06th 2012
RE: A lot of folks claim that people disliked it because it wasn't about...
May 06th 2012
I took it more as a "if the shoe fits" line.
May 06th 2012
best.....avi.......ever, Cid....
May 06th 2012
haha thanks, glad someone recognized it
May 07th 2012
i could see that
May 07th 2012
I listened to it a lot when it & HHID came out
May 07th 2012
no. it isnt regarded as good, because its not good.
May 07th 2012
ANYTHING YOU WANT, GIIIRL
May 07th 2012
      agree with you on the intro
May 07th 2012
I think lyrically it was a good album, but the beats were really weak
May 07th 2012
Aside from the Beyonce and Usher tracks, I really like that album
May 07th 2012
only Jay Stans were checking for this album
May 07th 2012
you stole my thunder
May 07th 2012

Frobert
Member since Nov 03rd 2003
1547 posts
Sun May-06-12 07:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think that was aimed torwards Game"
In response to Reply # 0

And that album was pretty awful lyrically. He was coasting on that one in the worst way. Try picking out a quotable in, say, "Oh My God" or "Show Me What You Got". I think people prefer him to rap about street life because that's what he's good at rapping about.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun May-06-12 07:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "A lot of folks claim that people disliked it because it wasn't about "
In response to Reply # 0

the "Street life" and that's complete bullshit to me. The content itself was better because it wasn't about drug shit, but the flows, lyrics, and overall songs just weren't hittin.

I will never forgive him for letting me/us down on the title track. When I first heard Just put that beat up on Myspace, showing how he flipped the Rick James track in a way I would have NEVER imagined, I said "man....if Jay comes outta retirement and uses this??? It's an INSTANT classic!" I thought it was gonna be PSA on steroids. But he came off HORRIBLE on it...the hook and verses were complete ass. Only quotable was the "Superman is alive" part, and we had heard that before!

It had some good-solid tracks for sure, but no real standouts at all. Some folks enjoyed "Hollywood" and the track with Usher, but they were super blah to me. Beach chair was interesting but I can see why some folks hate it and why some think it's dope...it was also blah to me.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Sun May-06-12 07:41 PM

3. "RE: A lot of folks claim that people disliked it because it wasn't about..."
In response to Reply # 2

I agree

know Jay-Z...it was aimed at someone..

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

cidolfas
Member since Nov 29th 2006
2247 posts
Sun May-06-12 07:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I took it more as a "if the shoe fits" line."
In response to Reply # 0

Birminghams Savage
Member since Mar 19th 2005
1856 posts
Sun May-06-12 09:31 PM

5. "best.....avi.......ever, Cid...."
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, yeah, I know, BUT I'M NICE, THOUGH!!! http://www.myspace.com/shazmusic

so nice, should read about it, EVERY-DAY!!!
http://shazmusic.blogspot.com/

cidolfas
Member since Nov 29th 2006
2247 posts
Mon May-07-12 07:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "haha thanks, glad someone recognized it"
In response to Reply # 5

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Mon May-07-12 02:57 PM

12. "i could see that"
In response to Reply # 4

cause Jay is too calculated to just take shots at people without the effect of this diss elevating his own career. so i guess the 'mad libs' diss is his pre-Death of AutoTune attack where he's just attacking the style that he thinks is killing the creativity in hip-hop.

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Mon May-07-12 12:56 AM

6. "I listened to it a lot when it & HHID came out"
In response to Reply # 0

But quickly stopped listening to certain songs. Sometimes it was the beats/chorus that were wack (Anything, Dig A Hole), sometimes it was his rhymes (30 Something but the Andre 3000/Ice Cube remix was good, Kingdom Come) and sometimes the you just have to be in the right mood for the song and it's good (Trouble, Beach Chair).

I'll say that "Lost Ones", "Oh My God" & "Do You Wanna Ride" are good/great songs that I still listen to occasionally.

The reason why I think it failed commercially is b/c Jay-z tried to be personal and poppy which just came off as corny. Why I think it failed artistically was b/c he had the perfect chance to reinvent himself, to finally lyrically "be Talib Kweli" but went half-assed and decided that poppiness would make up for any shortcomings. Not realizing that although he wasn't gone that long (Or really at all) there was a giant shift in hip hop between The Black Album & Kingdom Come's release, so he wasn't as bulletproof as he once was.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Mon May-07-12 02:35 AM

7. "no. it isnt regarded as good, because its not good."
In response to Reply # 0

>
>also, is the reason this album isn't regarded as 'good' by
>Jay-Z is because he's not rapping about his street life past?

<--- Big Baller World Order

bigr2k
Member since Sep 07th 2005
813 posts
Mon May-07-12 06:35 AM

9. "ANYTHING YOU WANT, GIIIRL"
In response to Reply # 7

That song comes out of nowhere and slaps the listener with a meh club track.

agreed with your thoughts.

but the intro track remains fierce.

get at the best hip-hop page on the net @ http://www.sumish.com

also get at the radio show
straight outta illvine @ http://www.kucihiphop.com

RIP Dave Ellis

forgivenphoenix
2514 posts
Mon May-07-12 03:00 PM

13. "agree with you on the intro"
In response to Reply # 9

if he had rhymed on beats like that and with that skill throughout the album it would have been another classic by Jay.

i think that song tho is the format for alot of his tracks on American Gangster, aside from the snipe at the rappers at the beginning.

Peter Drucker

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11776 posts
Mon May-07-12 03:21 AM

8. "I think lyrically it was a good album, but the beats were really weak"
In response to Reply # 0

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13191 posts
Mon May-07-12 08:39 AM

11. "Aside from the Beyonce and Usher tracks, I really like that album"
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon May-07-12 09:13 PM

14. "only Jay Stans were checking for this album"
In response to Reply # 0

when Lay Z dropped that album he seemed to be inhailing those Budweisers he was endorsing.

50 made Jigga look old and done.

however Jay Z knew that 50 was riding a wave because 50 had to push Product and fast.

like i said ain't been but a handful of cats who do that boutique ride on a label last and 50 was on following Ja Rule's blueprint to the T.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

wise
Member since Aug 09th 2002
4818 posts
Mon May-07-12 10:40 PM

15. "you stole my thunder"
In response to Reply # 14

lol....cosign.

------------------------------------------------------------
"This nigga would wet his pants and melt the 6 Snickers in his back pocket if Pimp C asked him to say what he typed to his face."--DeePhunk on
Bol the Blogger

Lobby The Lesson topic #2695510 Previous topic | Next topic