Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2693504

Subject: "How can Mixtapes over Albums Golden Era No Groundbreaking Albums" Previous topic | Next topic
Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How can Mixtapes over Albums Golden Era No Groundbreaking Albums"
Wed May-02-12 08:40 AM by Thanes1975

(My attempt was to come from a different angle but if it does not meet that criteria Mods, feel free to delete)

How can Mixtapes>>>Albums = "Golden Era": No Groundbreaking Albums

How can Mixtapes>>>Albums but this suppose to be "Golden Era"? There is also a HUGE gap in the mainstream artist dropping dope albums. First, I would like to say that there are some bright young artist in the rap game & overall, some good music coming out. With that being said, for the past 3-5 years artist best music has come in the form of mixtapes. How can this be a reminder of the Golden Era (even though there is some good music out) when it appears those artists are putting their best work (not just beats b/c I know money & sampling can be an issue) but lyrically. When most of the artist get a little recognition and see the money coming, they change the style up. Look at J. Cole's Friday Night Lights compared to Cold World. Drake's So Far Gone and a 100 other examples. The passion is on the mixtapes. There aren’t enough albums. As for mainstream artist, in the Golden Era these artists dropped some of their best work. They also dropped a lot of work. In the last 3-5 years how many classic LP' came from Jay-z, Nas, Lil Wayne, Outkast, Wu Tang, 50 Cent etc... As for the not so popular artist (we use to call underground), how many groundbreaking LP's or even mixtapes have come out? I mean "Change the Game" LP's or mixtapes b/c that is what the Golden Era was about. I know there weren’t mixtapes like that during the Golden Era (unless you’re saying it lasted until about 96) but the Albums aren't groundbreaking. You could argue Kanye MDTW but that's about it. The era need more LP's before you can compare it to 88-92 (or 94)There is good music out right now but I think some fans are getting excited b/c compared to some previous years, it’s much better.

Just my opinion though...

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
how can this be a separate post?
May 02nd 2012
RE: how can this be a separate post?
May 02nd 2012
mixtapes are the real albums now
May 02nd 2012
RE: mixtapes are the real albums now
May 02nd 2012
i dont mind mixtapes in terms of them having more freedom
May 02nd 2012
RE: i dont mind mixtapes in terms of them having more freedom
May 02nd 2012
that time is over
May 02nd 2012
      RE: that time is over
May 02nd 2012
agree 100%
May 02nd 2012
in your opinion how many legends/greats have come about post 2000?
May 02nd 2012
RE: in your opinion how many legends/greats have come about post 2000?
May 02nd 2012
      i actually agree on Kanye
May 02nd 2012
           RE: i actually agree on Kanye
May 02nd 2012
uhhhh...well.... uhhh how can i put this.... see uhhhhh
May 02nd 2012
RE: uhhhh...well.... uhhh how can i put this.... see uhhhhh
May 02nd 2012
      If artist had the freedom to drop mixtapes like albums
May 02nd 2012
such an archaic mindset.
May 02nd 2012

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "how can this be a separate post?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:31 AM

2. "RE: how can this be a separate post?"
In response to Reply # 1

I see the angle a little different but maybe not so much to others. You can disregard sir.

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "mixtapes are the real albums now"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-02-12 08:40 AM by Menphyel7

the mixtapes is when you the artist can be the artist...shit they get the features they really want on the mixtape without label burden..they get the producers they want who get to make they beat they want without worrying samples...The mixtape is the new album.

the album is weak now.

I'll rather listen to the mixtape over the album.

just look at krit he basically has released 3 classics in 3 years.

now if this was 1988 those would have been albums but now they mixtapes.

now live from the underground probably will be his predator (I really really hope not)

or look at an artist like future he drop classic mixtapes aim at the trap and hood niggaz showing what he want to do.

the album is more wordly

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:39 AM

5. "RE: mixtapes are the real albums now"
In response to Reply # 3

Thats a great point man...Yeah dude would have some great music and he is a throwback..

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:39 AM

4. "i dont mind mixtapes in terms of them having more freedom"
In response to Reply # 0

or making the stuff real hip hop fans want to hear

but half the time they sound less motivated than they would on the album, cos they know theyre more likely to get paid for an album

mixtapes also often sound like not much care has been taken with them

but yeah, mixtapes are basically albums now

people should call them what they are

calling them tapes seems like an excuse to not be judged so harshly

'oh its just a tape'

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:42 AM

6. "RE: i dont mind mixtapes in terms of them having more freedom"
In response to Reply # 4

Yep, Mixtapes are Albums but what about the large Artist who dropped Classics in Golden Era....our large artist arent dropping Groundbreaking LP's now...

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:44 AM

7. "that time is over"
In response to Reply # 6

the goalposts have changed

now its about groundbreaking merch deals lol

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Wed May-02-12 08:48 AM

8. "RE: that time is over"
In response to Reply # 7

Yep, I feel you. Big artist use to drop their best work at the same time.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed May-02-12 09:18 AM

9. "agree 100%"
In response to Reply # 4

I was gonna say the same thing

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

16580 posts
Wed May-02-12 09:23 AM

10. "in your opinion how many legends/greats have come about post 2000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-02-12 09:23 AM by Nick Has a Problem..

I can't think of anybody who debuted post 2000 that will be considered a great.

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Wed May-02-12 09:32 AM

"RE: in your opinion how many legends/greats have come about post 2000?"

I don't know. Maybe Kanye West. All things considered, he is more of a great artist rather than a great MC. Most people I considered great were 80's and 90's. 2000 and beyond...The jury is still out. There are some good artist that might become great. Big Krit has some impressive music and he can produce. He has a classic ATL sound...he might go far.

16580 posts
Wed May-02-12 09:34 AM

12. "i actually agree on Kanye"
In response to Reply # 0

don't know how he slipped my mind.

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Wed May-02-12 09:35 AM

14. "RE: i actually agree on Kanye"
In response to Reply # 12

Yeah, he leads the new era even if people don't like it. Hip Hop post 2000 = Kanye West

Sorry....

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed May-02-12 09:32 AM

11. "uhhhh...well.... uhhh how can i put this.... see uhhhhh"
In response to Reply # 0

How about mixtapes over albums equals a new era. Meaning the mixtapes have more relevance or whatever than the album. Whole different paradigm, uncomparable to the previous era.

So then within that mixtape era there could be a golden age. But it's still uncomparable to the album era's golden age.

All of that said. I think these mixtape people are full of shit. Like seriously that's not what makes the now so good.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Thanes1975
1618 posts
Wed May-02-12 09:34 AM

13. "RE: uhhhh...well.... uhhh how can i put this.... see uhhhhh"
In response to Reply # 11

Interesting perspective.... This is the "My Mixtape is My Album" Era to me....nothing wrong with it if its dope....but...there is not ENOUGH GREAT music to compare to another era yet to me. There are some good artist and the jury is still out...in my humble opinion anyway..

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Wed May-02-12 09:45 AM

15. "If artist had the freedom to drop mixtapes like albums "
In response to Reply # 13

it would probably be a golden era IMO.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Wed May-02-12 10:38 AM

16. "such an archaic mindset."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Lobby The Lesson topic #2693504 Previous topic | Next topic