Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2693304

Subject: "Before the internet, how did people get bootlegs?" Previous topic | Next topic
Eyebrow Bump
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
43 posts
Tue May-01-12 05:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Before the internet, how did people get bootlegs?"

I'm curious to know, like back when Prince's The Black album came out how did people get a hold of bootlegs?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Moms & Pops Record Stores, I Assume,,,,
May 01st 2012
leaks from the pressing plants
May 01st 2012
Q: If you wanted to buy a Sam Cooke album, where would you go?
May 01st 2012
By mail.
May 01st 2012
LOL I going through those at the back of Hit Parader
May 02nd 2012
trading cassettes
May 01st 2012
mom n pops, Goldmind magazine,
May 01st 2012
Mom and pops shops...
May 01st 2012
shit-- back when the tupac bootlegs came out & the screw shit
May 01st 2012
Barbershops. n/m
May 01st 2012
mom and pop stores and other cliques
May 01st 2012
calling those adds from goldmine
May 01st 2012
the street
May 01st 2012
my answer the bootleg man would have him in his trunk
May 02nd 2012
they had stores where they sold black market
May 01st 2012
For me, it was record-conventions and second-hand stores...
May 01st 2012
record stores
May 01st 2012
The flea market
May 02nd 2012
Behind the counter/under the table at record stores
May 02nd 2012
^^^^^^^^^
May 02nd 2012
Record store
May 02nd 2012
i miss vinyl bootlegs
May 02nd 2012
Jamaica Ave
May 02nd 2012
125th st. Harlem
May 02nd 2012
Any NY heads remember the market next to Tower Records
May 02nd 2012
Bleeker Street Records.
May 02nd 2012
      Bleeker Bob's is still there
May 02nd 2012
fordham road between music factory & dr jays...
May 02nd 2012
BEAT STREET BETTER!!!
May 02nd 2012

Harlepolis
Member since Jan 09th 2011
1867 posts
Tue May-01-12 05:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Moms & Pops Record Stores, I Assume,,,,"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm relatively new to the boot world, as far as Prince is concerned, too. So, I'm curious myself as well.

DolphinTeef
Member since Oct 25th 2009
7027 posts
Tue May-01-12 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "leaks from the pressing plants"
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue May-01-12 05:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Q: If you wanted to buy a Sam Cooke album, where would you go?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-01-12 05:44 PM by SoWhat

A: The wrecka stow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO7SYplYBVo

fuck you.

Buck
Member since Feb 15th 2005
16160 posts
Tue May-01-12 06:13 PM

4. "By mail."
In response to Reply # 0

Music rags would often have classifieds with tape-trader ads.

I feel very old.

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Wed May-02-12 01:21 PM

27. "LOL I going through those at the back of Hit Parader "
In response to Reply # 4

They had everything from the Beatles' Rooftop concert to early Guns N Roses stuff.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue May-01-12 06:48 PM

5. "trading cassettes"
In response to Reply # 0

you never saw "what's happenin"?

rdhull
Charter member
33134 posts
Tue May-01-12 07:00 PM

6. "mom n pops, Goldmind magazine, "
In response to Reply # 0

On the dock of that bay serving a life sentence,even if I’m going to hell I’m gonna make an entrance

jaybennie
Member since Feb 20th 2011
598 posts
Tue May-01-12 07:01 PM

7. "Mom and pops shops..."
In response to Reply # 0

...usually would be on a white label pressing. Sometimes, the pressers would print some copies of albums that were shelved which made it to the stores.

I liked it back then, because one would feel like a PI searching for leaked/rare/shelved materials

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Tue May-01-12 07:22 PM

8. "shit-- back when the tupac bootlegs came out & the screw shit"
In response to Reply # 0

i used to have to go to the hood / bizzarre to scoop the underground screw cd's or the bootleg tupac makaveli albums........ aside from those tho, i'm not sure--- unless you had the white label of the vinyL , bootlegs or advances were a rare commodity, and if u were bumping shit before it came out you were that dude-- especially if nobody else had it or could find it

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue May-01-12 07:22 PM

9. "Barbershops. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------

Young Broadway Star Urgently Needs a Bone Marrow Donor. Is it you? http://MatchShannon.com/

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue May-01-12 08:08 PM

10. "mom and pop stores and other cliques"
In response to Reply # 0

it was hard at all. sidewalks as well in the hood black market swap meet on the for real fo real. broad day light.

yeah you had barbershops and goldmine and other music trade magazines, however Swap meet was open season on the hook and discount tip just like the cat who use to sell you candy at school on the low and yet viewable.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue May-01-12 08:10 PM

11. "calling those adds from goldmine"
In response to Reply # 0

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

mwasi kitoko
Member since Jul 15th 2007
60768 posts
Tue May-01-12 08:15 PM

12. "the street"
In response to Reply # 0

www.royallegacy.org
http://therapfest.com/up-next-artists/

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed May-02-12 07:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "my answer the bootleg man would have him in his trunk"
In response to Reply # 12

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Ezzsential
Charter member
11085 posts
Tue May-01-12 08:18 PM

13. "they had stores where they sold black market"
In response to Reply # 0

everything...

semantics softer than couples at wedding alters
this cops and robbers
and u cant hold a candle
rip ur antlers off and hang them on my mantle
str8 rambo--rocket science wouldnt even try it
these dudes cant compare their focus is on a diet~me

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue May-01-12 08:29 PM

14. "For me, it was record-conventions and second-hand stores..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-01-12 08:34 PM by Jakob Hellberg

Some of the second-hand store in my city used to carry-some still do-bootlegs. An interesting thing is that one of them stopped-maybe they got threatened with legal action-and actually *gave* away all the bootlegs they had when they celebrated some anniversary. Unfortunately, the customers were only allowed to pick one bootleg each but I took a really nice Hendrix-bootleg double that consisted of many of the 69 recordings that would provide the basis for the stuff Hendrix (and, after his death, Alan Douglas and Eddie Kramer) would take to the Electric Ladyland studio and would provide the basis for most of his posthumous records; I actually like these rawer, more stripped down/non-overdubbed versions above the stuff that came out legally even if Hendrix vocals were vERY raw (it was just guide-vocals that he would re-do more professionally later).

Since most of the used record-stores were classic-rock oriented, they didn't sell too many Prince bootlegs but at the record-fairs and conventions, those were SO common; I'm not even kidding, literally all over the place and popular. After Prince's career started to fade in the 90's, they became less common...

EDIT:Now that I think of it, even some regular record stores sold bootlegs. A store close to my parents house had a lot of reissues of the classic Swinging Pig and Trademark of Quality bootlegs from the early 70's that started to come out in the late 80's on coloured vinyl. I always assumed they were legal then on some Frank Zappa "Beat the boots"-shit but I later found out they weren't. Anyway, I bought a lot of those-mostly Hendrix boots again.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue May-01-12 09:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "record stores"
In response to Reply # 0

Manuels Burrito
Member since Nov 25th 2009
113 posts
Wed May-02-12 12:12 AM

16. "The flea market"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-02-12 12:13 AM by Manuels Burrito

At the Santa Cruz flea market, you could get bootlegs of all the latest tapes. This was in the late '80s... early '90s.

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Wed May-02-12 01:31 AM

17. "Behind the counter/under the table at record stores"
In response to Reply # 0

If it was a healthy record store with a decent used selection (i.e. not Tower), one could usually find them within the rest of the records. Or if one was out on the floor and a customer asked for it, that would lead to more titles "behind the counter".

As a kid who had parents who loved swap meets and flea markets, both were hot spots for bootlegs. In fact, when I was 10 or 11, I clearly remember one dealer at the Kam Super Swap Meet with about three or four boxes of nothing but Rolling Stones bootlegs, sold wide open to the public. I would ask my parents sometimes for records people were selling, but they were 50 cents to a dollar. These boots are $8+, I asked and my parents immediately said NO.

There was also mail order. "Rolling Stone" had always been known for their great classified section, and if one person was selling a rarity, that would be the person to send money to. In the late 70's and early 80's, one could buy boots from German or Italian dealers.

==========
As someone mentioned, cassette trading was another way too, which continued up until the late 90's, as CD burners became cheaper and more affordable. But there were collectors who would trade tapes and you had to deal with B+P (blanks plus postage) or whatever rules one would need to obey to get what you wanted. If you wanted something that looked professional or at least was pressed on vinyl, then once you found a place that sold one, you'd want more and somehow you would be "in the know". The old term was "vinyl is final", so while cassette trading was more convenient for years, many wanted to see the records look like those made by the big boys. It also helped that the bootleggers were pressing their records at the same plants the majors were, and those who had an eye and knowledge of record pressings would figure out where they were being made. In fact, in a book I read on bootlegging, one of the biggest bootleg labels of the 1970's was run by a woman, and no one questioned her simply because she was "the female music fan".

The bootleg industry was run as an "after hours" industry. The threat was that the boots were ripping off from the actual industry. Truth is, most bootlegs barely caused a dent. Most boots were pressed up between 500 to 2500 copies, and 2500 was "high end". With top names like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and Bruce Springsteen, some titles would and did go as high as 10,000, if not more. Now, compare 10,000 copies of a bootleg to an album on Atlantic that sold 4,000,000. But the threat of the police caused a bit of paranoia, and maybe made things worse than what it truly was. Bootlegs were for the avid/diehard fans, not for the casual music fan who listens to the radio religiously. As technology changed, so did the threat, from the first bootleg CD's to the introduction of the MP3 in 1995 or so.

What was also a threat was the content. For years, bootleggers would obtain live recordings, and that tradition had been going on since the early days of jazz and classical music. Then some would record performances off the radio and press them up. What made major labels paranoid was when bootleggers obtained unreleased recordings that were believed to be "locked up in the vaults". Outtakes, alternate takes were now in demand, and if those could surface, what else could? That's what made labels panic: the fact that someone would control and obtain what they felt they could make money from, even though that had no intention of ever releasing what the artist would feel was "crap".

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Wed May-02-12 01:26 PM

28. "^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 17

Thanks for that

cyrus
Charter member
1006 posts
Wed May-02-12 03:44 AM

18. "Record store"
In response to Reply # 0

I got way too into Uncle Tupelo about 2 years before I figured out how to steal music on the internet, and that cost me a lot of money.

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Wed May-02-12 04:16 AM

19. "i miss vinyl bootlegs"
In response to Reply # 0

a lot of them were done nicely. i like the version of princes charade i have. but most of the ones i had were cds. i had a great box off all hendrix's BOG shows with versions of the JHE material that i thought was better than half of the proper BOG album. they didnt even put that stuff on the fillmore east album his estate put out in the 00s. other bootlegs i got from trading tapes. but you could find bootlegs easily at record fairs and in record collector and places like that. i still have some prince bootlegs i want to sell but theyre harder to get rid of these days.

Justin_Maldonado_7
Charter member
5042 posts
Wed May-02-12 11:58 AM

21. "Jamaica Ave"
In response to Reply # 0

>I'm curious to know, like back when Prince's The Black album
>came out how did people get a hold of bootlegs?

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed May-02-12 12:28 PM

25. "125th st. Harlem"
In response to Reply # 21
Wed May-02-12 12:31 PM by c71

Bootlegs of concerts or out of print records or studio outtakes are still sold in record shops in the Village NYC, since I was last there in 2010.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed May-02-12 12:01 PM

22. "Any NY heads remember the market next to Tower Records"
In response to Reply # 0

Back in the day there were like two cassette and vhs bootleg spots there. All the live boots you could dream of. That wasn't my only spot but that was such a good time just browsing through cases and cases of shit like, which Miles show do I want.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed May-02-12 12:13 PM

23. "Bleeker Street Records."
In response to Reply # 22

i dunno if it's still there. but damn that store blew my mind and my budget the 1st time i was in there. i bought Prince boots, P-Funk, Sly, James Brown, Beatles, Stones....

it was like music geek Xmas! Hanukah for bootleggers!

fuck you.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed May-02-12 12:15 PM

24. "Bleeker Bob's is still there"
In response to Reply # 23

We lost a lot of em though. Revolution Records on 8th used to be the goto bootleg spot for the catalog boots. If it was out there they'd order it for you.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed May-02-12 01:21 PM

26. "fordham road between music factory & dr jays..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed May-02-12 01:21 PM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

....had all the bootleg tapes and movies you could ask for

imcvspl
42239 posts
Wed May-02-12 01:31 PM

29. "BEAT STREET BETTER!!!"
In response to Reply # 26

LOL!!! Real talk I grew up on Fordham. As a kid I learned the three card monty hustle in reverse. Meaning I'd hustle the hustlers, then roll to Beat Street and cop dat vinyl.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Lobby The Lesson topic #2693304 Previous topic | Next topic