Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2690833

Subject: "What is LL Cool J's BEST LP to you? Why?" Previous topic | Next topic
Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 05:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What is LL Cool J's BEST LP to you? Why?"

Simple: What is LL Cool J's BEST LP to you? Why?

Me: I struggle b/c Radio has a special place with me growing up. Mama Said Knock You Out is CRAZY & Mr. Smith to me is the Perfect Balance of LL as an MC/Artist to me...

I'm stuck...will give somewhat of a decision if the thread gain some opinions....Those 3 are running neck and neck with me..

Holla

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: What is LL Cool J's BEST LP to you? Why?
Apr 25th 2012
Best Album - BAD...........Why? - Do Wop
Apr 25th 2012
i'm bad followed with kanday always got shit started for me
Apr 25th 2012
Mama Said Knock You Out because it's one of the best ever
Apr 25th 2012
music/math nerd alert......
Apr 25th 2012
RE: music/math nerd alert......
Apr 25th 2012
      sorry charlie...my opinion
Apr 26th 2012
the Greatest Rapper ever and I pick "mama said knock you up"
Apr 25th 2012
Mama Said is his best
Apr 26th 2012
14 shots IMO was cool and also pointed toward a change
Apr 26th 2012
Mama Said Knock You Up sounds like an R. Kelly song title
Apr 26th 2012
      that would make a good adult mix tape title
Apr 26th 2012
bad or mama says knock you out
Apr 26th 2012
I'm going with Mamma Said
Apr 27th 2012
I love Mama Said, but BAD
Apr 27th 2012

Goose
Member since Feb 05th 2006
4635 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 06:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "RE: What is LL Cool J's BEST LP to you? Why?"
In response to Reply # 0

i bought BAD for $5 over christmas, havent listened to it yet. is it any good?

ll cool j is a rapper that i know nothing about outside of his string of singles from 2001-2006

http://smallkidbigcity.tumblr.com/
www.facebook.com/zgase
www.facebook.com/pages/Goose/207963479294713
www.twitter.com/gooseohio
www.dwightschrutebeetf

Record Playa
Member since Apr 29th 2007
2925 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 06:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Best Album - BAD...........Why? - Do Wop "
In response to Reply # 0

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 10:00 PM

5. "i'm bad followed with kanday always got shit started for me"
In response to Reply # 2

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18622 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 06:33 PM

3. "Mama Said Knock You Out because it's one of the best ever"
In response to Reply # 0

22 years later, that album still holds up. Dope beats, and LL killed it. Lyrically he was at his peak IMO, and he just had dope songs. He had other good albums, but to me this is clearly his best.

1. Mama Said Knock You Out
2. Bigger and Deffer
3. Radio
4. Mr. Smith
5. Walking with a Panther
6. The G.O.A.T.
7. 14 Shots to the Dome

LL had a hell of a run from 85-95. He was spotty after that but would still bring it and show he still had it at times.

After that it really doesn't matter but I'd go: 10, The DEFinition, Exit 13, Phenomenon, and Todd Smith. But those 5 albums get no run from me anymore, outside of a few songs.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 07:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "music/math nerd alert......"
In response to Reply # 0

I was bored once back in '02 and I went through all his albums up to "Todd Smith" (excluding All World because it was a greatest hits) song by song and subdivided, ranking each song into 3 categories:

A+ songs, decent songs, bad songs

they scored like this (numbers represent counts in the category order listed above):

Radio: 2/ 7/ 2
Bigger and Deffer: 2/ 6/ 4
....Panther: 5/ 8/ 5/
Mama Said ... : 4/ 10/ 1
14 Shots...: 2/ 10/ 2
Mr. Smith: 1/ 7/ 7
All World - Skipped because it was a greatest hits
Phenomenon: 2/ 6/ 2
G.O.A.T: 1/ 12/ 5
Ten: 1/ 4/ 10

using a scoring system of +2 for an A+ song, +1 for a decent song, and -1 for a bad song then dividing by the total number of songs I came up with a score for each

after this somewhat bootleg and totally subjective analysis they ranked like this:

Mama Said ... : 1.13
14 Shots...: .86
Radio: .82
Phenomenon: .80
....Panther: .72
Bigger and Deffer: .50
G.O.A.T: .50
Ten: -.93
Mr. Smith: -.33

Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 10:32 PM

6. "RE: music/math nerd alert......"
In response to Reply # 4

There is no way Mr. Smith is his worst LP

No way

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 03:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "sorry charlie...my opinion"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu Apr-26-12 03:12 PM by Selah

A+ - I Shot Ya (remix), Doin' It

Good, but not great - I Shot Ya (orig), Mr. Smith, Loungin' (the remix is an A+ but not on the album), Hollis to Hollywood, God Bless, Get Da Drop On Em

Bad - intro skit, make it hot, hiphop, hey love (some like this I do not), life as, no airplay, prelude skit

note: I actually bumped "Doin 'It" up after the orig rankings. it brought the overall score to .2 placing it now above "ten"

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Apr-25-12 10:36 PM

7. "the Greatest Rapper ever and I pick "mama said knock you up""
In response to Reply # 0

he covered all bases and bought himself a decade run with that album.

he is the first rapper ever in my lifetime to fall off and then come back hard and then compand that respect back and he stayed in his lane and still if he wanted to right now he could still have hits.

put it like this Lionel B.Richie ain't the only Brother from the 80's that could still drop a big hit, James T.Smith could still have a big album if he wanted music as much as he wants tv believe that.

he did his thing though and is one of the best live Rap performers ever but then again that ain't saying a whole lot, but still.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

spoons
Charter member
1743 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 02:11 PM

8. "Mama Said is his best"
In response to Reply # 7

but 14 shots is a personal favorite because it has those mid 90's kdef/marley marl cuts on it like funkadelic relic.

"If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready." -Suga Free

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 02:25 PM

10. "14 shots IMO was cool and also pointed toward a change "
In response to Reply # 8

in his direction he seemed more mellow and not as hyped. he knew he had won when he dropped 14 shots nothing else left to prove thereafter. for good or bad or indifferent depends on where you stand on his music and career before and there after.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18622 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 04:42 PM

12. "Mama Said Knock You Up sounds like an R. Kelly song title"
In response to Reply # 7

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 08:38 PM

13. "that would make a good adult mix tape title"
In response to Reply # 12

Fo Sure.

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Thu Apr-26-12 02:12 PM

9. "bad or mama says knock you out"
In response to Reply # 0

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I'm going with Mamma Said"
In response to Reply # 0

Bigger and Deffer is a close #2, or maybe 1A. BUt Momma Said had so much riding on it after Walking WIth A Panther and he and Marley killed it across the board. With enough songs to cover all bases (street shit, check, girl shit, check, radio play, check, truck shit, check) without pandering to anyone, it was probably the most complete album he's ever put together front to back.

And I've said it before and will say it again, Cheesy Rat Blues is one of the dopest things LL ever wrote, hands down.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Apr-27-12 12:35 PM

15. "I love Mama Said, but BAD"
In response to Reply # 0

was one of the best sophomore albums I've ever heard. That had HARD beats throughout.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2690833 Previous topic | Next topic