Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2685293

Subject: "im tryin2tell u: the roots need2make a straight summertime party LP" Previous topic | Next topic
judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 06:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"im tryin2tell u: the roots need2make a straight summertime party LP"

Fr real. The roots should strongly consider making their next album the ulimate hiphip party record ever made. Next level catchy jammin accessible with an outside the box unexpected list of guest features and performers. Make the mothrucker commercial and jamming and bring in some guest producers. A straight party album the whole way thru. Do some new school synthesized production and some of that old school mark ronson type of real catchy upbeat vintage sounding party shit.

THEN. Like 6 months later go allllll the way left and drop there jimi hendrix black psychedelic roots indie album with like no rap and connect with the baddest indie musicians and dope hipster groups on the scene who are making dope music. Fuckin Jimi meets tv on the radio.

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Both ideas sound alright to me.
Apr 12th 2012
well HOw I get over was "suppoused" to be half happy
Apr 12th 2012
      diplo will.i.am Tminus f/ drake camp mark ronson
Apr 12th 2012
           I loved a full VS. album
Apr 12th 2012
                i feel u. i want to hear drake on there, lil wayne on it
Apr 12th 2012
get Wiz Khalifa. maybe a B.o.B. maybe the Game
Apr 12th 2012
no.
Apr 13th 2012
Block Party
Apr 13th 2012
I would love that. And they have gone as dark as they need to
Apr 13th 2012
and get aloe blacc and Erykah to sing the hooks
Apr 13th 2012
yeah i could go for a more upbeat album from them
Apr 13th 2012
Ask and you shall receive:
Apr 13th 2012
      dude. i'm really glad to hear this: thx4posting
Apr 13th 2012
      THANK YOU BASED GOD!
Apr 13th 2012
I'd like to see both of those. *shrugs*
Apr 13th 2012
Lol. **
Apr 13th 2012
CEE-LO Green makes a LOT of sense
Apr 14th 2012
Man....I wish he would rap.
Apr 14th 2012
RE: im tryin2tell u: the roots need2make a straight summertime party LP
Apr 14th 2012
RE: im tryin2tell u: the roots need2make a straight summertime party LP
Apr 15th 2012
Apr 15th 2012
      RE: *
Apr 15th 2012
           no dude. fuck odd future and rocky. talkn about 2 diff things here
Apr 15th 2012
Maybe not a whole album but an EP would be cool.
Apr 15th 2012
been saying they need to do a series of EPs with diff vibes
Apr 15th 2012
RE: been saying they need to do a series of EPs with diff vibes
Apr 15th 2012

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 06:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Both ideas sound alright to me."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd really like to hear something with a bit more of an uplifting vibe than they've been on recently.

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 06:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "well HOw I get over was "suppoused" to be half happy"
In response to Reply # 1

UNdun is sad as a muthafucka tho.

I mean I don't understand why you can't be artistic and make some happy dancing shit with a groove.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

judono
4417 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 06:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "diplo will.i.am Tminus f/ drake camp mark ronson "
In response to Reply # 2

There's a bunch of dope motherfuckers making not corny smash hits that are party anthems. Try it for one album. Then make the most original crazy assartistic from a black band in the past 20 yrs that's not a rap album. At this point in the game its nothing else the roots black thought or quest need to prove that they haven't already done... we want to hear something completely different from them and maybe some more of that 75 bars shit too

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 06:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I loved a full VS. album"
In response to Reply # 3

black thought vs the hottest mcs

featured musicians/singer on every track.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

judono
4417 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 07:13 PM

5. "i feel u. i want to hear drake on there, lil wayne on it"
In response to Reply # 4

that should would be dope.

i want to hear a will.i.am beat and rap verse.

i want to hear a fuckn track with andre3000 and if you can't get 3000 you can get big boi..

i want to hear one with busta and chris brown on the hook on that club hit fast rap flo.

i want fuckn black thought edan fuckn joint on that 75 bars steelo

do one with kanye on one of them dirty bangladesh club bangers.

there are dope commercial jam possibilities that will work Now and still be fresh.

just go in and mc and black the fuck out. all these street dudes loved that straight mc shit when wayne was in his zone 2006-2008. just bust

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

judono
4417 posts
Thu Apr-12-12 07:28 PM

6. "get Wiz Khalifa. maybe a B.o.B. maybe the Game"
In response to Reply # 0

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

guru0509
Charter member
45356 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 06:24 PM

13. "no."
In response to Reply # 6

Slum Village & Mick Boogie – The Dirty Slums Mixtape
Planet Asia- Black Belt Theatre
Trouble - 431 Days

monk hughes
Member since Jul 25th 2006
1385 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 02:22 PM

7. "Block Party"
In response to Reply # 0

Think of how fun Dave Chappelle's Block Party was? The Roots are the type of band that can put together that kin of a great fun hip-hop album with lots of range.

Love all the Roots albums, but I'd love to have something upbeat I can play in the summer.

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 02:24 PM

8. "I would love that. And they have gone as dark as they need to "
In response to Reply # 0

It is time for some lighthearted fun party shit.

Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 02:56 PM

9. "and get aloe blacc and Erykah to sing the hooks"
In response to Reply # 0

Yow!!

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 03:17 PM

10. "yeah i could go for a more upbeat album from them"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.â€

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 03:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Ask and you shall receive:"
In response to Reply # 10

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.19376/title.uestlove-speaks-on-re-signing-to-def-jam-upcoming-album

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

judono
4417 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 06:11 PM

12. "dude. i'm really glad to hear this: thx4posting"
In response to Reply # 11

this is dope. thx for the link. it's honestly the best thing black thought and questlove can do. we already know they are bonafied and authentic. they're legends. they've done every "version" of true hiphop/jazz/boom bap (and very well) over the years.

now whats new? fuck all the history. LMFAO got some beats. like no joke. some of those beats on the album are jamming as a motherfucker. the dudes on the mic ain't fuckn with thought---- and i know Thought can do his futuristic big daddy kane thing over some of that flavor and still be true to the rhyme spitter within himself.

you can still do a very dope, commercially viable record with integrity that is jammin all the way thru. and an artist like a B.O.B--- i might be too old school to really enjoy him Thoroughly, but I will say this-- to the current high school/young generation-- there is a level of conciousness and artistic integrity that he possesses to the RIGHT NOW generation of music consumers. So where previously, a Roots/B.O.B collab would've been borderline wack.... In 2013 terms, it's not a wack idea. Just get the right fuckin beat, and tell him to go in and rhyme as dope as he can--- Just Bust. B.O.B can spit. Same shit with Drake. why the fuck not? or Wayne? Busta is a no brainer. i know im' being redundant to a certain extent, but .......... i'm just saying.

DON'T OVERTHINK IT. everybody is dope. just tell them to spit the dopest most lyrical shit that they can come up with.

and know on the down low, it's all a masterplot to drop that most artistic , ground breaking, do whatever the fuck you want to do weird artistic record that you can possibly ever release album. Release that bitch under a new, secret Artist name. fuck the whole indie game up. like, what, ya'll want some indie music?!?!?!

i wish i was in a position to contribute something somehow.

i can see this shit so vividly in my mind.

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 10:39 PM

16. "THANK YOU BASED GOD!"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri Apr-13-12 10:43 PM by phemom

Yes, we know life sucks....now let's dance away the pain.

Seriously I'm looking forward to some bangers, though I'm sure we'll get some real life mixed in too. Plus I know the roots can make more upbeat records w/o "selling out" because they already have "The Next Movement" "Stay Cool" "Get Busy"

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

smooth va
Member since May 02nd 2005
6059 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 06:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "I'd like to see both of those. *shrugs*"
In response to Reply # 0

"This is dedicated to whom it may concern."-Donny Hathaway

judono
4417 posts
Fri Apr-13-12 07:27 PM

15. "Lol. **"
In response to Reply # 0

*** lol. the key is to somehow secretely hide questloves drum set, give him an mpc 2500, an akai XR20 drum machine, a dope keyboard, and be like : here man. use this shit for this album, multitrack that bitch in protools, and let the drums get a quick vacation for most of this album for a minute. lol

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

judono
4417 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 10:45 AM

17. "CEE-LO Green makes a LOT of sense"
In response to Reply # 0

let the man sing on the hook and bust a verse. he is the ultimate connect right now. the ultimate in legendary contemporary O.G. certified spitter singer songwriter artistic artist who made the crossover & has Itune and Radio play name recognition. That FUCK You song was the right kind of groove for that type of record. and black thought / cee-lo!! sheeiiitt... inspired to inspire

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 03:16 PM

19. "Man....I wish he would rap."
In response to Reply # 17
Sat Apr-14-12 03:18 PM by phemom

I love when Cee-Lo sings...but when he is a guest on rap albums he ALWAYS sings the hook. I'd like to hear a verse just because it'd be refreshing.

Oh I'd also like to hear Jhene Aiko on a hook...

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

quatto
Member since Jul 02nd 2010
435 posts
Sat Apr-14-12 10:52 AM

18. "RE: im tryin2tell u: the roots need2make a straight summertime party LP"
In response to Reply # 0

>some new school synthesized production and some of that old
>school mark ronson type of real catchy upbeat vintage sounding
>party shit.

nooo! please not of that mark ronson/bruno mars throwback bullshit!

>
>THEN. Like 6 months later go allllll the way left and drop
>there jimi hendrix black psychedelic roots indie album with
>like no rap and connect with the baddest indie musicians and
>dope hipster groups on the scene who are making dope music.
>Fuckin Jimi meets tv on the radio.

im all for an upbeat record but reading this shit just reminds of... birthday girl (shudder)

Li Mu Bai
Member since Sep 11th 2007
1891 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 02:10 AM

20. "RE: im tryin2tell u: the roots need2make a straight summertime party LP"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Apr-15-12 02:13 AM by Li Mu Bai

what in the blue fuck for?

are you sad that they haven't 'blown up' to your satisfaction? does Fallon count for anything? it's like something along the lines of, 'hey man, mos def should definitely go and do some maybach type shit.' that's just not them. is THAT what you really wanna hear as a fan? i sure the fuck don't. part of the main reason they've been able to maintain so long is that they DON'T capitulate to whatever shit is hot at the moment and never have. why ruin a good thing?

Lebron couldn't win a chip without two superstars from his draft class. He didn't just need help. The nigga needed the cheat code to enable god mode.(c)Kira

judono
4417 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 11:17 AM

22. "*"
In response to Reply # 20

why not come in on this aLbum acting brand new and fresh? like it's your 1st record, you just got in the game, you hungry, you raw, and you ready to bust. you never put an album out before. you got drum machines, samplers, and a couple of dope keyboards. you don't know what rap sounded like in 1999, and you don't care. plus you got the dopest mc's on a mainstream level featured on your record?? and you know every song is banging in the whip / club / and radio AND it's all dope ass production and beats musically too? i don't see anything wrong with sounding brand new and fresh;breaking out the box and doing something a little bit different

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Li Mu Bai
1891 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 12:21 PM

23. "RE: *"
In response to Reply # 22

> why not come in on this aLbum acting brand new and fresh?
>like it's your 1st record, you just got in the game, you
>hungry, you raw, and you ready to bust. you never put an
>album out before. you got drum machines, samplers, and a
>couple of dope keyboards. you don't know what rap sounded
>like in 1999, and you don't care. plus you got the dopest
>mc's on a mainstream level featured on your record?? and you
>know every song is banging in the whip / club / and radio AND
>it's all dope ass production and beats musically too? i
>don't see anything wrong with sounding brand new and
>fresh;breaking out the box and doing something a little bit
>different

what the OP is advocating is the antithesis of sounding brand new and fresh. listen to what you're saying, you want the roots to make an LP as if they are aiming to succeed in today's music environment. an environment where there really isn't too much innovation and the McDonaldsization of hip hop has only allowed a few commercially popular items completely dominate the musical landscape. i think it's dope that the roots have made the music they have and have a rabidly loyal and large fan base without compromising their artistic integrity. Didn't they kind of address this with this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qzacv8dtb4&ob=av2e
i know it's been beaten like a dead horse around here but music today is so very disposable. And i'm not the biggest fan of the roots but I respect their courage and fortitude to have been doing it for so long so consistently. They made it this like by trying to make albums to fit in with the rest of the ilk that populates the popular music landscape. Iono, i seen too many artists make horrible missteps in order to keep up with the younguns. Did you listen to Redman's last album? Shit was horrible, man. i pray the Roots don't go that route and make something as forced and contrived as that and it seems to me that them doing exactly that is the desired general consensus in this post and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

just my opinion tho, maybe i don't get it. all i'm saying is 'new and fresh' cannot possibly mean tryna sound like everybody else that's hot at the moment. it seems to me that some of you, for some strange reason, need The Roots to have mainstream popularity/relevancy on a LARGE scale to validate your fandom. why? if you think Black Thought is a sick emcee and ?uest is a genius, cool. Your opinion should be the only one that matters, not your 14 year old cousin who listens to OF, A$AP Rocky, Weezy, and whatever the fuck else.

Lebron couldn't win a chip without two superstars from his draft class. He didn't just need help. The nigga needed the cheat code to enable god mode.(c)Kira

judono
4417 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 12:47 PM

24. "no dude. fuck odd future and rocky. talkn about 2 diff things here"
In response to Reply # 23

example: busta rhymes SMASHED that one chris brown song (Look at Me Now). he went in--- the beat was jammin on a slow club beat--- mad club and radio spins--- he went in on that fast rap and KILLED it. and he did Busta. 100% original and authentic. and wayne was on the track and ripped it too. and everybody loved the song. young and old. didn't matter. it was a jam and hit on all levels to all segments. what problem did you have with Busta performance on this song?

Let me ask you another question: Have you heard the smash hit song by GOTYE called Somebody I used to Know? link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

this song is a #1 hit in like 6 different countries on POP/KISS FM radio stations as well as INDIE/Alternative stations in the United States. #1. platinum itunes single. and the song is the ultimate original indie song with a throwback flavor and it's just a great fucking song.

what do u think about this track?

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Black Irish
Member since Jul 06th 2010
2074 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 03:41 AM

21. "Maybe not a whole album but an EP would be cool."
In response to Reply # 0

Psychedelic album would be dope though.

------------------------
"The nameless was the beginning of heaven and earth;
The named was the mother of the myriad creatures."

Go in peace.
------------------------

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 03:21 PM

25. "been saying they need to do a series of EPs with diff vibes"
In response to Reply # 0

Something like-

an EP with some stripped down Web type hip hop sh*t

a more experimental Electric Circus type EP

a Thought VS type EP with some cool guests (Monch, Tip, etc)

Then maybe one with like a Spanish type vibe...or maybe one where they re-envision some Dilla hits or something

Li Mu Bai
1891 posts
Sun Apr-15-12 06:13 PM

26. "RE: been saying they need to do a series of EPs with diff vibes"
In response to Reply # 25

>Something like-
>
>an EP with some stripped down Web type hip hop sh*t
>
>a more experimental Electric Circus type EP
>
>a Thought VS type EP with some cool guests (Monch, Tip, etc)
>
>Then maybe one with like a Spanish type vibe...or maybe one
>where they re-envision some Dilla hits or something
>
>

^^^agreed^^^

Lobby The Lesson topic #2685293 Previous topic | Next topic