Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2681640

Subject: "" Search result list | First match | Last match
Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 12:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""

Gordon Voidwell

http://youtu.be/Uia2BLBL6Jw

(swipe)

It seems like a lot of people’s natural first thought about Gordon Voidwell is that he’s making a whimsical pastiche of music from another era — one of those winking, costumed approaches to music-making we tend to adore but not take super-seriously.

Which makes sense — I mean, watch this video. A lot of the guy’s art is redolent of bygone moments, sure. (Although note that the visual and sonic “bygone moments” happening in this video are kinda mismatched, or matched up in a weird hindsight false-memory way.)

But I was doing a little DJing last night, and trying to build a set around some Voidwell songs I wanted to play, and the process would up underlining a lot things I dig about the act — things beyond the way he sneaks sharp thoughts and biting jokes into the music, beyond the way my life is probably overly influenced by The Cosby Show and the odd way he taps into that. Truth is, much as I trawled through different ends and pockets of the 80s (and late 70s, and early 90s) in search of things that worked like my Voidwell starting points, I did not reliably find a ton in any place. The idea that he’s making simple pastiche is a little bit of a false memory. The music he winds up with is very specifically … Voidwellian. That’s partly because of his vocal presence, which I love — a little wry, nerdy, and new-wave; also a bit goofy and anything-goes, a spirit that somehow feels more like late-80s hip-hop than anything else. (I dunno: Imagine Prince joined Das Racist? But in 1984? No, don’t do that.)

All I know is that I now have a long, surprisingly varied playlist of r&b, new-wave, and hip-hop attempting to somehow surround the feeling I get from Voidwell’s mixtapes (you can find Malcolm XXX McLaren right here), and in my imagination it’s pretty much the record collection you’d find in the bedroom of Howard, seen on the right below:

http://i43.tinypic.com/aeunh2.png

http://agrammar.tumblr.com/post/19968722399/gordon-voidwell-id-superego-it-seems-like-a

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
shit is hot
Apr 04th 2012
Apr 05th 2012
I don't think I said that but THANKS!!!
Apr 05th 2012
it was buried in a post about something else
Apr 05th 2012
some of us did get into ESG, but for different reasons.
Apr 05th 2012
Nah that's Nitsuh Abebe's piece
Apr 07th 2012
Cameo"I just want to be" back in 79
Apr 05th 2012
RE: Cameo"I just want to be" back in 79
Apr 06th 2012
RE: Cameo
Apr 10th 2012
Apr 10th 2012
Apr 11th 2012
                the thing I liked most about Style
Apr 11th 2012
                     RE: the thing I liked most about Style
Apr 11th 2012
isn't that fonk?
Apr 10th 2012
New Wave makes me think Erasure, New Order, Bauhaus
Apr 05th 2012
who were the "black bauhaus"?
Apr 05th 2012
80's british synthy vocal duos?
Apr 05th 2012
i think i'm using the wrong terminology
Apr 05th 2012
      not without reason
Apr 05th 2012
better memory than me ^^^^
Apr 05th 2012
That's not really my definition of New Wave...
Apr 06th 2012
      on an off topic side note about Depeche Mode
Apr 10th 2012
you know, Howard was my favorite minor character on that show
Apr 05th 2012
Thanks for this!
Apr 05th 2012
Apr 06th 2012
what about "Delirious"?
Apr 06th 2012
      RE: what about "Delirious"?
Apr 06th 2012
           well shit, "Let's Pretend We're Married" is another one.
Apr 06th 2012
                And ''Automatic''
Apr 06th 2012
                and that was the MAIN reason I hated the Busboys, lol
Apr 06th 2012
                     That's one part of the 80's I never hope make a comeback...
Apr 06th 2012
                RE: well shit, "Let's Pretend We're Married" is another one.
Apr 07th 2012
this post is why I fcuks with the lesson
Apr 06th 2012
early 80's Detroit and Mojo comes to mind...
Apr 06th 2012
that's exactly the other thing I was thinking of
Apr 06th 2012
Gordon ben killing it for awhile now, glad to see him mentioned
Apr 06th 2012
RE: ^
Apr 08th 2012
Catch 22
Apr 10th 2012
oh shit how did you discover that?
Apr 10th 2012
      RE: oh shit how did you discover that?
Apr 11th 2012
Tiggi Clay (circa 1984)
Apr 10th 2012
^
Mar 27th 2013

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Wed Apr-04-12 03:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "shit is hot"
In response to Reply # 0

Reuben
1857 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 11:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. ""
In response to Reply # 0

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 11:49 AM

3. "I don't think I said that but THANKS!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Gonna get hip to this. Interesting piece (is that yours?). I think I need to listen to a whole mixtape before commenting though.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Reuben
1857 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 12:08 PM

4. "it was buried in a post about something else"
In response to Reply # 3

we were discussing around the time hiphop started(mid to late 70s)

what else could black ppl got into jakob hellberg said the whole new wave thing

as in what if more black ppl heard ESG and went down that road

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 04:40 PM

12. "some of us did get into ESG, but for different reasons."
In response to Reply # 4

>as in what if more black ppl heard ESG and went down that
>road
>

We played a bit of ESG in Chicago during the early/mid 80's ( specifically "Moody"), and other New Wave/Synth Pop acts from that era like KONK, and Liquid Liquid.

BUT. We listened to them in the context of them being somewhat funky bands with a weird sound, and not as "New Wave". As a matter of fact, those groups kind of bridged the gap between Art Pop and Club/Dance music. We played that shit alongside Philly Soul, Kraftwerk, Funk, and early Chicago House.

It just fit in. We never really placed a Genre on it.

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Apr-07-12 12:03 AM

28. "Nah that's Nitsuh Abebe's piece"
In response to Reply # 3

one of the few GREAT music writers

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 12:10 PM

5. "Cameo"I just want to be" back in 79"
In response to Reply # 0

listen to that and then asnwer your own question. its was always there.

Bernie Worrell went there a whole lot and made it do what it did.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 03:12 PM

15. "RE: Cameo"I just want to be" back in 79"
In response to Reply # 5

No....listen to Prince's "Sexuality" from the Controversy lp and tell me that isnt new wave.....

slyde
Member since May 30th 2008
748 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 01:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
31. "RE: Cameo"
In response to Reply # 15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Sh9WSbO6s

http://mp3.zing.vn/bai-hat/Let-s-Not-Talk-Slot-Cameo/ZWZBEWIZ.html

Strangeways
1988 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 05:32 PM

36. "RE: Cameo"
In response to Reply # 31

I was just about to say alligator woman but I have to say that I hated the style lp cuz it was straight up TRASH. with lets not talk slot, they were just repeating the same song and I dont know what they were thinking when they made that lp. for a long time I wanted the lp and when I finally got it back in 1999, I recorded it to cassette and traded it back in for another lp.

slyde
748 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 04:07 AM

39. "RE: Cameo"
In response to Reply # 36

>I was just about to say alligator woman but I have to say that I hated the style lp cuz it was straight up TRASH.
>with lets not talk slot, they were just repeating the same song and I dont know what they were thinking when they made that lp.
>for a long time I wanted the lp and when I finally got it back in 1999, I recorded it to cassette and traded it back in for another lp.

Okay i see. Its the opposite with me lol. I dig the tweaked synthesizer sounds and other instrumentation on "Style".
Great synth solo towards the end of "Aphrodisiac", solid harmonized vocals and falsettos on "You're A Winner", etc.
Saw them once perform "Slow Movin" as well which was an event to witness. Also dig the transition they made to their next "She's Strange" project.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 07:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
40. "the thing I liked most about Style"
In response to Reply # 39

>Okay i see. Its the opposite with me lol. I dig the tweaked
>synthesizer sounds and other instrumentation on "Style".
>Great synth solo towards the end of "Aphrodisiac", solid
>harmonized vocals and falsettos on "You're A Winner", etc.
>Saw them once perform "Slow Movin" as well which was an event
>to witness. Also dig the transition they made to their next
>"She's Strange" project.

besides the above, is the use of the electronic/Simmons drums all over that record. Larry played 'em like he would drums normally but they sounded extra fresh in his hands

slyde
748 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 01:32 PM

41. "RE: the thing I liked most about Style"
In response to Reply # 40

>besides the above, is the use of the electronic/Simmons drums all over that record.
>Larry played 'em like he would drums normally but they sounded extra fresh in his hands

Right on man, a trip indeed to hear him locking the pocket on those pads, and as it's described on the back cover of the Style album:
"...There are no conventional drums used on this album, all drums are electronic. The new age sound..."

I think to have read somewhere sometime ago that drummer Jonathan Moffett performed live on Larry's Simmons-kit during Cameo shows and tours at that time.

mathmagic
Charter member
6078 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 02:14 PM

34. "isn't that fonk?"
In response to Reply # 5

Jordan!

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 12:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "New Wave makes me think Erasure, New Order, Bauhaus"
In response to Reply # 0

And I would make the argument that we kinda went there.

but now listening to the link...good question.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 12:32 PM

7. "who were the "black bauhaus"?"
In response to Reply # 6

(please don't say she wants revenge...)

also, i think this spinoff is a misunderstanding of imcvspl's comments on NO wave, not new wave, unless there was another topic about new wave

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 12:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "80's british synthy vocal duos?"
In response to Reply # 7

If there was an Af Am take on those sensibilities, i'd say it showed up in acts like Black Box, Lisa Lisa, et cetera.

Reuben
1857 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 12:56 PM

9. "i think i'm using the wrong terminology"
In response to Reply # 8

since i lump post-punk/new wave/no wave/punk-funk all together

im talking ESG, lizzy mercier, devo, talking heads, josef k, scritti politti, orange juice, human sexual response, james chance and the contortionists etc

basically that downtown new york art scene shit that came up mid to late 70's and its uk counterpart

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 01:21 PM

11. "not without reason"
In response to Reply # 9

>since i lump post-punk/new wave/no wave/punk-funk all
>together

as they are all pretty closely intertwined. The music in the og post is closest to New Wave. It's important to realize that No Wave was in reaction to No Wave and punk. In many ways it fused the two while at the same time sonically condemning them both, mainly on their musical chops. In essence No Wave was what if you took the absentness of punk and new wave and threw in some jazz chops. It was definitely a white spearheaded movement but with its trenches deep in the black experience. But it was in many ways aimless as a reactionary movement, and as the reactionees faded in popularity there was little left for the movement to hold on to.

For me it would have been interesting if it was a more black led experience. In many regards it parallels how hip-hop was a reaction to disco. As a black led movement though hip-hop had more base in its own existence. The ideals of No Wave could have been appropriated towards some of those same values blah blah blah... shoulda woulda coulda

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 01:05 PM

10. "better memory than me ^^^^"
In response to Reply # 7

>also, i think this spinoff is a misunderstanding of imcvspl's
>comments on NO wave, not new wave, unless there was another
>topic about new wave

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 04:21 PM

21. "That's not really my definition of New Wave..."
In response to Reply # 6

I tend to think new Wave as Blondie, "Whip it"-era Devo, B-52's as well as skiny-tie power-pop like the Knack ("My sharona") and a very time-specific type of semi-edgy guitar/keyboard-pop (example:Martha&the Muffins "Echo beach":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQkIEkxm7k as well as many Go-Go's songs like this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RHTiXvELNg).

Basically, an umbrella-term for the more audience/pop-friendly post-punk (as a musical era, NOT genre).The *genres* Post-punk and No Wave are IMO better used for music that was more challenging, dark, bleak, edgy etc. So basically, I would never call P.I.L. or Joy Division (or Bauhaus) "New Wave".

I do not really think of synth-pop like (early) Depeche Mode, Yazoo (4and by extension Erasure), Soft Cell etc. as New Wave either; it's the same era but I think it comes from a somewhat different lineage, more removed from punk...

Anyway, that's just how I understand the term

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 09:19 PM

37. "on an off topic side note about Depeche Mode"
In response to Reply # 21

Martin Gore is biracial ( his dad was an African American G.I. stationed in the UK )

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 06:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "you know, Howard was my favorite minor character on that show"
In response to Reply # 0

besides "Bud" so that alone piqued my interest.

the lyrics are kinda... bullshit, but I fucks with what I'm hearing.

I think that "New York" scene description is pretty dead on. New York was coming with some very interesting shit in that era.

Spacenaut
Member since Jan 04th 2008
3099 posts
Thu Apr-05-12 06:52 PM

14. "Thanks for this!"
In response to Reply # 0

Isn't J*Davey considered new wave?

Strangeways
1988 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 03:15 PM

16. ""
In response to Reply # 0

I think that Prince was definitely into new wave during the 80's because the rude boy button that He wore from the dirty mind and controversy lp was a love for Ska music.....and sexuality is a prime example of new wave.....

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 03:29 PM

17. "what about "Delirious"?"
In response to Reply # 16

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

Strangeways
1988 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 03:32 PM

18. "RE: what about "Delirious"?"
In response to Reply # 17

yep.....that too and annie christian was like experimental new wave......

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 03:40 PM

19. "well shit, "Let's Pretend We're Married" is another one."
In response to Reply # 18

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 04:09 PM

20. "And ''Automatic''"
In response to Reply # 19

That song gives me a Gary Numan or even Devo-vibe. I think it's really cool. I HATE "Delirious" though; the synth-updates of 50's-early 60's rock'n'roll that was common in the early 80's just sound corny to me...

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 05:10 PM

23. "and that was the MAIN reason I hated the Busboys, lol"
In response to Reply # 20

the synth-updates
>of 50's-early 60's rock'n'roll that was common in the early
>80's just sound corny to me...

that "The Boys are Back in town" song was AWFUL. And Eddie Murphy just KEPT trying to push them on us...

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 05:21 PM

24. "That's one part of the 80's I never hope make a comeback..."
In response to Reply # 23

I doubt it will though. That and the whole Huey Lewis "roots rock gone new wave"-vibe, I don't even like ZZ Top's "Eliminator" (hard blues/boogie-rock with drum-machines and synthesized basslines-WTF? BAD IDEA) and that's a band whose old4 stuff I consider myself a fan of...

Strangeways
1988 posts
Sat Apr-07-12 03:33 PM

29. "RE: well shit, "Let's Pretend We're Married" is another one."
In response to Reply # 19

Man....back in 1983....I used to love lets pretend were married when my dad used to blast the 1999 cassette in the car along with lady cab driver and others....that beat along with the melody and loud synthesizers is SICK.........to this day, 1999 is still my favorite Prince lp especially with his eyes on the label, that was CREATIVE.
who would have thought of putting their eyes on the lps itself? very creative and smart.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 04:34 PM

22. "this post is why I fcuks with the lesson"
In response to Reply # 0

There may be long stretches where it doesn't happen, but the Lesson be puttin me on to hot ish I may not have heard otherwise. Thanks.

Peace to the Gods.

revolution75
Member since May 07th 2003
3372 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 05:58 PM

25. "early 80's Detroit and Mojo comes to mind..."
In response to Reply # 0

Eclectic Soul/Sunday, 2-4 PM est/89.3 WCSB.ORG

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 06:17 PM

27. "that's exactly the other thing I was thinking of"
In response to Reply # 25

shit kind of sounded New York, but the kind of shit that would immediately get that Detroit/Mojo love

ChampAreno
Member since Apr 29th 2010
2508 posts
Fri Apr-06-12 06:13 PM

26. "Gordon ben killing it for awhile now, glad to see him mentioned"
In response to Reply # 0

in the lesson. I saw him a couple years back and made a post about his song "Ivy League Circus" with little response. I'll definitely be checking for new material though.

"Take one for the team when the opponents disperse damage"

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Sun Apr-08-12 09:47 PM

30. "RE: ^"
In response to Reply # 0

slyde
748 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 01:29 PM

32. "Catch 22"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVH19oNRhgI

Reuben
1857 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 02:36 PM

35. "oh shit how did you discover that?"
In response to Reply # 32

slyde
748 posts
Wed Apr-11-12 03:58 AM

38. "RE: oh shit how did you discover that?"
In response to Reply # 35

> yeah, just bumped into that while browsing for vintage soul tv-shows on youtube lol,
although i remember vaguely seeing their name pop up at playlists or selling lists.

Here's another interesting site:

http://www.roctober.com/roctober/blackpunk1.html

http://www.roctober.com/roctober/blackpunk2.html

http://www.roctober.com/roctober/blackpunk3.html

http://www.roctober.com/roctober/blackpunk4.html

slyde
748 posts
Tue Apr-10-12 01:32 PM

33. "Tiggi Clay (circa 1984)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlFMSJ6zk1w

Reuben
1857 posts
Wed Mar-27-13 03:16 AM

42. "^"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8paRfr2_E

Lobby The Lesson topic #2681640Search result list | First match | Last match