Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2679566

Subject: "What does the 45-55yr old crowd listen to these days?" Previous topic | Next topic
Abstract_TheEclectic_Nubian
Member since Sep 07th 2002
5966 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 09:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"What does the 45-55yr old crowd listen to these days?"

This was inspired by K-Orr's Comfortable post. Just a question I think about often, especially in todays climate where you'd have to almost be a superfan of an artist from 15-20yrs ago to keep up with what they are doing currently.

Now when I say 45-55yr olds I'm mainly reffering to blacks in that age bracket, since that is the precieved audience of hip hop and r&b. I'm aware that this age bracket is largely pre-hip hop, but I refused to believe that all of them have turned strickly to gospel or relagated to Kem records(No knock on Kem), but where do they go for new music that isn't geared toward the kiddies?

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

www.last.fm/user/Tha_Abstract

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Bullshit.
Mar 29th 2012
That's quite sad
Mar 29th 2012
      well, I kinda think it's not really their fault...
Mar 29th 2012
It's actually a MAJOR diff btwn 45 and 55. Similar to 18 and 28
Mar 29th 2012
not as much as you think though.
Mar 29th 2012
There's a third school in there
Mar 29th 2012
      abso-friggin-lutely...
Mar 31st 2012
           There it is!
Mar 31st 2012
I see what you're saying
Mar 29th 2012
RE: It's actually a MAJOR diff btwn 45 and 55. Similar to 18 and 28
Mar 30th 2012
Chris Rock has a theory...
Mar 31st 2012
I'm 41
Mar 29th 2012
RE: What does the 45-55yr old crowd listen to these days?
Mar 29th 2012
Thanks
Mar 30th 2012
      RE: Thanks?
Mar 30th 2012
R. Kelly, Michael Jackson, babyface, Stevie Wonder, El debarge
Mar 30th 2012
That list is more diverse than I thought it would be
Mar 30th 2012
I'm 44....
Mar 30th 2012
RE: What does the 45-55yr old crowd listen to these days?
Mar 30th 2012
kem, oldies, some smooth jazz interpretation of a song
Mar 30th 2012
RE: kem, oldies, some smooth jazz interpretation of a song
Mar 30th 2012
you're falling into a common mistake that "crowds" exist at that age
Mar 30th 2012
I hear ya
Mar 31st 2012
      RE: I hear ya
Mar 31st 2012
Michael Baisden, Tom Joyner.....n/m
Mar 31st 2012
RE: Michael Baisden, Tom Joyner.....n/m
Mar 31st 2012

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 09:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Bullshit."
In response to Reply # 0

I JUST had this conversation with a couple of people in that age range. And all I heard come up was shit like Smoove Jazz, Neo-Soul, and the radio-friendly Rap shit.

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

5966 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 10:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "That's quite sad"
In response to Reply # 1

So they're pretty much happy in that little radio friendly bubble of theirs?....yuck!

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 10:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "well, I kinda think it's not really their fault..."
In response to Reply # 3

>So they're pretty much happy in that little radio friendly
>bubble of theirs?....yuck!

Older people who like Smooth Jazz kinda got tricked into it. Think about it. They grew up on live instruments. So at ONE point in say, the mid-to-late 80's, Smooth Jazz ( i.e. Shit like Kenny G, Gerald Albright, Najee, etc ) was the only brand of 'new' music that still had horns and live instruments in it. And in comparison to "our" music, older folks could gravitate to it.

I've asked my mom ( who loves Smoove Jazz ) why she likes that shit. I've pointed out that she knows REAL Jazz, and that Smoove Jazz is wack as hell. And her answer makes perfect sense.

"it's either that, or that shit that they play on the other (meaning Top 40) radio stations..."

So yeah. I can understand why my mom prefers Dave Koz to the new Nick Minaj.

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 09:54 PM

2. "It's actually a MAJOR diff btwn 45 and 55. Similar to 18 and 28"
In response to Reply # 0

or any other range...so I'd see it more like 45-48 and then 52-55.

It feels like they're all different...with the 45-48, SOME of them still like the same hood, rowdy, cuss-laced music they enjoyed 20 years ago when they were 25-28. When I go to older spots that cater to this range, you hear everything....regional L.A. Rap classics, new radio songs, 70's, 80's Funk and R&B hits, and modern R&B. The ones who enjoy Jazz don't seem to be as deep on the Coltrane and Miles side of things, and may like the more modern and almost radio-friendly type of Jazz.

With the 52-55...they seem to be similar, but they don't like as harsh of music. So a clean Snoop, Volume 10, Quik song is cool, but not the "Mo pussy" "Ain't no fun" types. I'd say that they enjoy the 80's music a lot more than the 45-48...I can see that just from DJ'n. The 50+ will go harder for a "Housequake" type song, or even Loose Ends...so it really seems like people still enjoy what they enjoyed in their 20's the most.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 10:21 PM

5. "not as much as you think though."
In response to Reply # 2

>or any other range...so I'd see it more like 45-48 and then
>52-55.
>

I think that older folks from 45 on up to say 60 or so ( when you REALLY stop giving a shit about music ) all listen to the same kinda shit.

I think that at that point, there's only TWO schools of Musical Tastes. 'Good' or 'Fucking Awful'. Either they're a geezer with really good and diverse tastes in music ( which I hope to become ), or one of those ridiculous old folks who likes awful shit* out of some sick sense of trying to "keep up with the young folks"....

*-aka "Old guy at the club in the Fubu jacket."

5966 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 10:42 PM

7. "There's a third school in there"
In response to Reply # 5

the people who listen backyard bbq/cookout music all the time which is who I was thinking about while making this post. Maybe I'm just stereotyping though, I don't have too many people in my immediate circle of this age. 2 of my sisters are in their early 40's though, so maybe that's close enough.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 03:56 PM

21. "abso-friggin-lutely..."
In response to Reply # 7

>the people who listen backyard bbq/cookout music all the time
>which is who I was thinking about while making this post.

Those are the people who keep Charlie Wilson on the receiving end of royalty checks from "Outstanding", lol.

And those are ALSO the same folks who buy mostly Soul compilations and Greatest Hits of the (insert Decade) albums.

5966 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 10:17 PM

24. "There it is!"
In response to Reply # 21

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

5966 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 10:33 PM

6. "I see what you're saying"
In response to Reply # 2

I supose it will always be that way. You like the stuff in your formative years the most.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 08:32 PM

18. "RE: It's actually a MAJOR diff btwn 45 and 55. Similar to 18 and 28"
In response to Reply # 2

..so it really
>seems like people still enjoy what they enjoyed in their 20's
>the most.

exactly

dude

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 10:28 PM

26. "Chris Rock has a theory..."
In response to Reply # 2

>...so it really
>seems like people still enjoy what they enjoyed in their 20's
>the most.

And granted, it came during a stand up routine so it was said with humor, but like most comedy, it has a lot of truth in it: he said people continue to like the music they were listening to when they started getting laid.

I think it's a little beyond that, and people like the type of music when they were most happy, and for a lot of people, it was their 20's (though it's often romanticized, but that's more of a GD than Lesson post)

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 11:04 PM

8. "I'm 41"
In response to Reply # 0

I've listened to this today:

Gift of Gab
Beck
The Roots
Chromeo

In the last few days add the new Bumpy Knuckles, Graham Central Station, Devo, and lots of podcasts.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Thu Mar-29-12 11:18 PM

9. "RE: What does the 45-55yr old crowd listen to these days?"
In response to Reply # 0

Not really qualified to answer your question(s) conclusively, but I just wanted to compliment you on your avatar..

Encore is the shit.. Love that album..the airport skits kinda made it drag IMO, but it was still a dope LP. He kinda disappeared after that one..

5966 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 01:39 AM

11. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri Mar-30-12 02:01 AM by Abstract_TheEclectic

I've been trying to find out what happened to him. Wherever he is, I wish he would come back and hit us atleast once more.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 01:49 AM

13. "RE: Thanks?"
In response to Reply # 11

Pretty sure he's married with kids and holding down a real world job by job.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 12:23 AM

10. "R. Kelly, Michael Jackson, babyface, Stevie Wonder, El debarge"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-30-12 12:24 AM by mistermaxxx08

Barry White, Al Green, Marvin gaye, Frankie beverly and Maze, Aretha,Whitney, Gladys, Old School R&B, Bee Gees, Miles Davis, John COltrane, Donald Byrd, Roy Ayers, Lionel Richie, Commodores, Smokey Robinson, Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, james Brown, Curtis Mayfield, donny hathaway, chilites, the stirsteps,maxwe, minnie riperton, new edition, deniece williams.sly stone,bobby womack, tower of power

so many acts and styles

alot of stepping music and jams. earth,wind and fire, parliament, rick james, bootsy, alot of funk

grand funk railroad, beach boys, tood rundgren, hall and oats, george michael, carole king, burt bacarach, philly international, luther vandross,

folks i know in that age range whom are just slightly older than me this is what i hear.

on the rap tip everything from 79-97.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

5966 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 01:45 AM

12. "That list is more diverse than I thought it would be"
In response to Reply # 10

I guess I don't have too many day to day conversations with peeps in this age group.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

NotYaAvgBrotha
Charter member
7268 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 12:00 PM

14. "I'm 44...."
In response to Reply # 0

and the music I listen too hasn't changed much in the last 5 years or so;

4hero
Meshell Ndegeocello
Miguel Migs
Rahsaan Patterson
Ledisi
Lalah Hathaway
Esperanza Spalding
Gretchen Parlato
Robert Glasper
Adele
Quadron

I do find that I'm listening to a lot more lounge, chill out stuff these days.

isulady
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2043 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 06:46 PM

15. "RE: What does the 45-55yr old crowd listen to these days?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not around many people in that age range, but my mom is 46 and listens to 70s & 80s R&B/Soul/Funk, 80s & early 90s Hip Hop and Blues (Denise LaSalle, Johnny Taylor, Z.Z. Hill, those types)

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 08:20 PM

16. "kem, oldies, some smooth jazz interpretation of a song"
In response to Reply # 0

that was hot last year.

dude

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 08:30 PM

17. "RE: kem, oldies, some smooth jazz interpretation of a song"
In response to Reply # 16

>
>
>that was hot last year.

they get new music from tom joyner, steve harvey or michael baisden

dude

spew120
Member since Oct 02nd 2005
4026 posts
Fri Mar-30-12 08:55 PM

19. "you're falling into a common mistake that "crowds" exist at that age"
In response to Reply # 0

people have families, responsibilities, etc etc. The folks that still dig music like *that* are just doing their own thing. Their listening habits are crazy diverse.

5966 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 01:56 AM

20. "I hear ya"
In response to Reply # 19

If they're even still really into music, they probably are doing their own thing.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

deepthought74
Member since Sep 06th 2002
1036 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 04:32 PM

22. "RE: I hear ya"
In response to Reply # 20

I listening to

Stevie Wonder
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Jill Scott
Erkyah Badu
Sade
Anita Baker
Earth Wind Fire
Issac Hayes
Bobby Womack
Curtis Mayfield
Robert Glasper
D'Angelo
Maxwell
John Legend
New Edition
R Kelly
Al Green
Thelonous Monk
Billie Holiday
Nina Simone
LL
Big Daddy Kane
Kool G Rap
Common
The Roots
Outkast
Goodie Mob
Cee Lo
NWA
Public Enemy
Ice Cube
Gangstarr
Pete Rock and Cl Smooth
Nas
Pharoahe Monch
Organised Konfusion
Too Short
Black Star
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
E-40
.....will stop there but there is more I listen too.....

Deepthought

"When I hear wack rhymes, I get fed up"- Krs-One

"Even when I'm bragging, I'm being sincere"-LL

Verse One:

Could you tell me who released our animal instinct?
Got the white man sittin' there tickled pink.
Laughin' at us on the av

taygravy
Charter member
6656 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 04:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "Michael Baisden, Tom Joyner.....n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

www.theforeignexchangemusic.com

5966 posts
Sat Mar-31-12 10:19 PM

25. "RE: Michael Baisden, Tom Joyner.....n/m"
In response to Reply # 23

Yeah, Its like whatever they play, that age group and pretty much game for. They've even started sneaking in whodini on the sly.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

Lobby The Lesson topic #2679566 Previous topic | Next topic