Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2675976

Subject: "from rap with tinges of pop to pop with tinges of rap part 3." Previous topic | Next topic
david bammer
Member since Jun 20th 2010
4467 posts
Wed Mar-21-12 04:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"from rap with tinges of pop to pop with tinges of rap part 3."
Wed Mar-21-12 04:26 AM by david bammer

i'm sorry but i had to touch on this again due to relevancy.

i just saw this for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqkKdCs5Nz4

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e95/schide66/CornetteFace_4208.jpg

when i made the original post back in 2010, rap/rappers/rapping had been sliding in a very, for lack of a better term, non-black direction for the last half of the 00's.
but what's followed since, in terms of new rap acts that have captured the attention of the masses, the direction in production and most importantly the type of actual RAPPING that gets a pass is just astounding to me.

i posted about this, perhaps too quizzically, in my thread giving "props" to the non hiphop-related rappers that existed in the 80s & 90s for the influence they have had on today's rappers/rapping/rap music.

i honestly believe if some of this music that contains people rapping prominently on it that's coming out now could have been brought back into time - it would have been totally ignored/blackballed by anyone who actually listened to "rap music" at the time the same way n-trance, technotronic, 2unlimited, marky mark were.
but instead... today, the exact opposite is occurring today.
the top rappers in the world are actually SIGNING these acts, and moving rap music further and further towards a style/aesthetic that would make max martin blush.

but what i'm especially loving is that rap-oriented media/fans are becoming more and more marginalized like "backpackers" were in the 00's as contemporary rap/rapping/rap music makes a full run for every becky in america's $ and leaves self-proclaimed rap fans, even the one's that don't relish the "hip-hop"-era in it's dust.

i'll say it before and i'll say it again: hip-hop is obviously over.
but here's an addendum: any form or style of black music that isn't immediately financially rewarding is over too.

ex. the dream's comments on black people not doing soul music anymore.

in essence, if rocking over beats by the venga boys or rapping with all the authenticy of a non hiphop rapper from the 90's like gillette is what's charting this month that's where black acts are taking "black music".

and that's partly what makes the dream's comments so interesting to me.
because adele is selling records and making money like a mothefucka - meanwhile black acts that have pop success are trying to get pitbull & lmfao $. oh well...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Lobby The Lesson topic #2675976 Previous topic | Next topic