Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2672719

Subject: "The Van Hunt Live album is out" Previous topic | Next topic
ZooTown74
Member since May 29th 2002
43582 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 09:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Van Hunt Live album is out"

No, I didn't "find a link"

I copped online

Haven't listened to it yet

And yes, we know, he's an unfunky old fraud, thanks

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thanks. Downloading now. $6.99 on Amazon
Mar 13th 2012
hows does that work? a Live album with a Dead Career and no
Mar 13th 2012
^^^always supports black artists
Mar 13th 2012
      i liked him behind Dionne Farris
Mar 13th 2012
Punk or Funk?
Mar 13th 2012
He's never been punk - please stop.
Mar 13th 2012
      call it whatever you want.
Mar 13th 2012
           I won't be calling it punk that's for damn sure.
Mar 13th 2012
                do you know what this album sounds like?
Mar 13th 2012
                     its a mix...
Mar 16th 2012
                          'Her December' is my jam, right?
Mar 16th 2012
                               Well..that was awesome (show review)
Mar 17th 2012
                                    that sounds good.
Mar 18th 2012
                                         RE: that sounds good.
Mar 18th 2012
listened to the snippets
Mar 17th 2012
RE: The Van Hunt Live album is out
Mar 18th 2012

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 10:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Thanks. Downloading now. $6.99 on Amazon"
In response to Reply # 0

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 10:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "hows does that work? a Live album with a Dead Career and no"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-13-12 10:31 AM by mistermaxxx08

Songs that hardly anybody knows? WOW!!!!!!!!!!! this cat is like 68 with bought Jewlery and no stats. Randy "Dawg" Jackson bought him some token grammys.

Van Pint is so under the radar that even Aquaman couldn't track that turkey down.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 11:37 AM

3. "^^^always supports black artists"
In response to Reply # 2

...except when he doesn't.

What the blood claaat ???

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 01:17 PM

7. "i liked him behind Dionne Farris"
In response to Reply # 3

as session cat he is alright,and i bought that.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 11:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Punk or Funk?"
In response to Reply # 0

which Van Hunt did we get on this live album?

fuck you.

Artful Dodger
Member since Nov 20th 2009
8361 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 12:43 PM

5. "He's never been punk - please stop."
In response to Reply # 4

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 01:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "call it whatever you want."
In response to Reply # 5

fuck you.

Artful Dodger
Member since Nov 20th 2009
8361 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 01:50 PM

8. "I won't be calling it punk that's for damn sure. "
In response to Reply # 6

Dead Kennedys?
Dead Milkmen?
Bad Brains?
That's punk.

I like Van Hunt but let's not do the D'angelo thing man and oversell it with trumped up items.

I actually thought you were being funny.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Mar-13-12 02:28 PM

9. "do you know what this album sounds like?"
In response to Reply # 8

do the arrangements veer closer to those on the 1st 3 albums or to those on the most recent album?

fuck you.

jimaveli
Charter member
6603 posts
Fri Mar-16-12 04:25 PM

10. "its a mix..."
In response to Reply # 9

>do the arrangements veer closer to those on the 1st 3 albums
>or to those on the most recent album?

A lot of the arrangements on this take a 'slow build' approach, so you get to hear the lounging, 'sexy' (his words) Van Hunt. He's more like the 'recent' Van on parts of it, but it still jams overall. He keeps it 'slow'/less squirrelly on the songs that he knows folks know like Dust.

The live album also shows him to be personable in person, which I wasn't sure about at all.

I'm rolling through Warehouse Live in Houston tonight to see him and I'm happy about it. I pretty much celebrate his catalog even if I veer towards the 2nd album over everything else. I must be alone on that. I just hope I get a good playlist tonight. I damn near EXPECT some version of Attention..I'd hope for a mix of all three. I really want something like Priest or Police. And Highlights. SNM jams on the live album, so hopefully he does that too. To get greedy, I'd want Blood from your heart of stone (MY JAM!), UR A Monster, Popular Count's Coda, Hot Stage Lights, Hold My Hand...yep...a bunch of stuff he probably won't play if his goal is to be more rock-ish. At least throw a Precious/Her Smile/DareDevil medley in towards the end or something.

I figure he has to play a chunk of the new one since he's trying to sell that one. I'll say this...if he doesn't do Plum, I'ma send somebody a stern email tomorrow.

The live joint closes with Lowest 1 of my desires, so who knows..he might surprise me and play a bunch of stuff I'm not expecting.

Popular Machine had joints too...Blue Note...that should've worked out. Use in Case of Emergency...same thing..a gang of jams. I'm still a bit baffled that he is almost completely unknown.

Jimaveli

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Mar-16-12 04:31 PM

11. "'Her December' is my jam, right?"
In response to Reply # 10

he played that when i saw him last yr. but the arrangement was so...different...that i didn't recognize it. same w/'Character'.

the band is good and i still liked him as a front man (this was my 3rd time seeing him). but the rocked-out re-arrangements left me wanting.

i hope you enjoy the show. and i'll check out the live record, i think.

fuck you.

jimaveli
Charter member
6603 posts
Sat Mar-17-12 11:12 AM

12. "Well..that was awesome (show review)"
In response to Reply # 11

Houston...03/16/2012...Warehouse Live...day before St. Patty's (aka NCAA tourney, white people and beer, etc).

Short story, I liked the show more than I liked the live album mainly because I liked the tracklisting AND the transitions more. And he didn’t rock out for a lot of this show. MAYBE 1/3..if that. This man played a chunk of my favorite songs..like unbelievably so considering the choices he had with his catalog. However, he didn’t play ANYTHING from the Popular album that wasn’t on the released EP (so…no Dimples). He skipped Use in Case of Emergency too (no Funny or Come Tomorrow). He also didn’t do Character or Hidden Charm. The transitions were slick and awesome. He got rocky in the middle of the show, but he kept it pimpin’ for most of the show. The crowd was a LOT of sisters with naturals/fros/dreads/braids, squirrelly brothers with the same, and a little of everything else. And me in the middle of it with a crew cut in a pimp blue Express shirt that fades into white at the bottom. The sisters knew EVERY song from the first album to the point of karaoke. To the point where Van said ‘let me get my song back now’ during one of them. Haha. There was somewhere around 100 folks. I won’t miss him in Houston again.

Jimaveli-length story (tracklisting):
No preshow from what I know..just a few squirrelly videos playing when I walk in at 9:30-ish..Mayer, Amy, etc. He went on a little bit before/around 10 and was up there about an hour and a half. Him and three folks (for most of the show). He just popped up there seemingly outta the blue and went right into it. I used technology to write down the tracklisting as it was going, so I’d be able to share it…

1. Lowest 1 of my desires! REALLY!? Did he read my post? Jammin. Midrange tempo’d it. Damn near like when you used to sing Isley’s Fight the Power and you’d lean into saying ‘BULLSHIT’, everyone leaned into ‘FUCK’ when the time came..haha.
2. Jammin ass interlude
3. Out of the sky! REALLY!? Did this dude jump into my mind for this tracklisting!? Did he expect naturals, braids, and fros? What’s next? I’ll tell you what’s next…
4. THIS MOTHERFUCKER WENT INTO AN OHIO PLAYERS “ECSTACY” REPRISE! ‘Love will never do without you!!!’ I can’t arrive at an explanation of how good this sounded to me..and to get surprised by it? I hereby demand he does a full, sloppy, 6-minute cover of that song. Or somebody needs to since its one of my top 10 songs ever. Somebody blacking out and making it the 6-minute jamathon it should’ve been…it could be a Niggas in Paris, play it 3 times at every show-level song for SOMEBODY. Do it Van..do it.
5. Attention. Original album style. Maybe even slower and funkier. Wow.
6. Rocked up interlude
7. North Hollywood..new album. Yep. I’m still jamming since I have this just about everything the man has dropped.
8. BACK TO Attention. Back to slow/funky.
9. Funky lude…’lifts weights with her kiss’…
10. Rock cover…jamming…Pixxies?
11. Song I don’t know…brewing, still slow and jamming
12. Into a jamming version of Plum…so I don’t need to send any stern emails.
13. Funky lude…man…this dude is jamming.
14. Song I don’t know…jamming. And then…
15. Who will love me in winter! And he is STILL slow and funky..he sees them fros!
16. Watching you go crazy is driving me insane..rocky..I like it.
17. New album song that I don’t’ know yet..rocky..jamming.
18. Lude…he saw the pain from the fro babies and gave the ‘rock music is our music ya’ll’ commentary before going into…
19. Moving Targets..new album section…jamming..here’s his spot for a slow jam medley…c’mon Van…didn’t do it…
20. Eyes Like Pearls..folks know that song? Aight…
21. Another cover lude..
22. IF I TAKE YOU HOME…oh hell yeah!
23. Highlights = yessir..changed around and less funky…arggg! Its still highlights though so I’m good.
24. Being a Girl!? Okay..dude is in my mind for this tracklisting…
25. Mysterious hustle..jamming..
26. Mysterious hustle ‘stay close to me’ reprise…jamming
27. The band rolls out and its just Van…awww shit…I know something jamming is coming…now I find out what songs the sisters all know, cuz that’s what he’ll be playing.
28. Somebody (not me…really! It wasn’t me!) screams out Priest or Police and this mofo goes right into it…guitar only..tonight is my night for the tracklisting! “E-ro-tic conversation!” and that entire part of the song through ‘I will be waiting for you’ = 87% of the crowd singing the whole song. Hell…the second verse had half of the crowd doing karaoke. That had to feel good to Van for a song that ‘old’ on an album essentially nobody bought when it dropped.
29. Down here in hell with you…ahhh…this one had a video…so yep…the sisters know this entire song too. ‘What would I do if we were perfect? Where would I go for disappointment’ = whole room karaoke.
30. If this isn’t a lead-in for Secon…yep, it’s Seconds of Pleasure to close. For real this time. It was straight up black women united choir karaoke.

I should go to more shows like these. I like the hell out of the artists I like. Van Hunt falls into that range for sure. He sounds pretty good live and the band is clearly dope. The way he delivers the lyrics regardless of the arrangement gives the impression that HE still likes these songs..that’s refreshing. I’m excited that he’s still making music and doing shows even if he’s criminally ‘unpopular’ considering the general cleverness of his writing. And it ain’t like he should be over anyone’s head. These songs are mostly about..well…fuckin…okay…relationships. And yeah..he ain’t above getting pop-rocky from time to time, but there’s a twang to it that meets you halfway most of the time. And you gotta be who you are with your music. You can’t make ‘Attention’ 50 times just because the fro babies will take that from you. Looking through his catalog in my iTunes…he should have hits. Like 11 hits. I still haven’t figured out where he messed up. Maybe he just didn’t play the game when he had his chances. To me, he's Saadiq with REALLY GOOD writing as opposed to the freestyle, jam session, Slave-ish writing.

Jimaveli

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sun Mar-18-12 07:46 AM

15. "that sounds good."
In response to Reply # 12

the Chicago crowd was similar but for some reason he gave us more of the Rock stuff even though we didn't go crazy for it like we did for the more Funked out stuff.

fuck you.

jimaveli
Charter member
6603 posts
Sun Mar-18-12 09:29 AM

16. "RE: that sounds good."
In response to Reply # 15

>the Chicago crowd was similar but for some reason he gave us
>more of the Rock stuff even though we didn't go crazy for it
>like we did for the more Funked out stuff.

It seems like he has made some adjustments on his rock/funk distribution. Someone somewhere probably told him to 'cut it out' with the 'rocking' for the whole show stuff. And he probably argued at first, because he thought he'd at least have full freedom in exchange for not being popular. Or maybe his mood has changed from that time. Who knows...maybe its as simple as him adjusting based on the expected crowd BEFORE the show. I could imagine the show and playlist being totally different if he expected a bunch of squirrelly coffee shop chicks and white dudes. The show I saw made it clear that he knew the fro babies were coming. Thank you, fro babies.

Jimaveli

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Sat Mar-17-12 11:31 PM

13. "listened to the snippets"
In response to Reply # 0

didn't really move me. maybe it needs a few more spins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

G_The_SP
Member since Dec 12th 2005
2413 posts
Sun Mar-18-12 02:52 AM

14. "RE: The Van Hunt Live album is out"
In response to Reply # 0

I was suppose to go to that show too, but wound up missing it at the last minute.

~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~* * *~
http://soundcloud.com/griff-x
http://atribecalledx.com
http://twitter.com/IamGriffX

Lobby The Lesson topic #2672719 Previous topic | Next topic