Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2670887

Subject: "Bruno's Just The Way You Are = Alicia's Doesn't Mean Anything, right?" Previous topic | Next topic
aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Wed Mar-07-12 03:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bruno's Just The Way You Are = Alicia's Doesn't Mean Anything, right?"

I realize this is (relatively) old news and may have even been discused here before (although, I don't remember seeing it), but hearing Bruno Mars' "Just The Way You Are" the other day made me remember that after the first few times I heard it, I thought the chord structure was eerily similar, if not the same, as Alicia Keys' "Doesn't Mean Anything."

I can't remember which came first (or which was released first, I should say). And I know similar musical thoughts can occur independently from one another. But you could swap melody (verses and chorus) for either song and they'd fit seamlessly atop the other for the most part.

No agenda here. Just posting my observation (late, but still).

For comparison, see links below.

Mars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk

Keys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLclkP9x_68

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Alicia came first
Mar 07th 2012
I knew (thought) I'd heard Alicia's first...
Mar 07th 2012
      Interestingly, the Bruno joint was intended to be a rap single
Mar 08th 2012
BTW, I realize there's a key and tempo difference between the two songs....
Mar 08th 2012
Both are known Jack Artists, however i like Bruno more
Mar 08th 2012

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Wed Mar-07-12 03:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Alicia came first"
In response to Reply # 0

aScribe
815 posts
Wed Mar-07-12 04:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I knew (thought) I'd heard Alicia's first..."
In response to Reply # 1

I just wanted to be fair in my assessment. Thanks.

CMcMurtry
Member since Nov 28th 2002
17053 posts
Thu Mar-08-12 12:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Interestingly, the Bruno joint was intended to be a rap single"
In response to Reply # 2

Albeit a soft-as-shit one.

Producer Needlz made it for Lupe and they (Atlantic I imagine) got Bruno Mars on the hook. Bruno kept it and the rest is history.

aScribe
815 posts
Thu Mar-08-12 08:39 AM

3. "BTW, I realize there's a key and tempo difference between the two songs...."
In response to Reply # 0

But I think my argument still stands.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Mar-08-12 02:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Both are known Jack Artists, however i like Bruno more"
In response to Reply # 0

as a Writer,though he still is working out the kinks as a Solo Artist and maybe he is on the right path. we shall hear.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby The Lesson topic #2670887 Previous topic | Next topic