Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2670234

Subject: "" Previous topic | Next topic
k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 05:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
""

Prize-winning architects get work through competitions, and if their designs are radical, like Zaha Hadid’s, years may elapse between projects. But even the most revered fashion maverick can’t survive without the system. Azzedine Alaďa may be the only designer in the world whose infrequent shows are an event, but he still must regularly supply stores with merchandise. Young musical artists, rebuffed by recording companies, have gone straight to the Internet. But, as Klaus Stockhausen, the fashion director of German Interview, put it the other day, “That may work for funny T-shirts but not for talent.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/sunday-review/why-was-the-designer-raf-simons-dismissed.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

Hmmm.

one
k. orr

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was daydreaming about Malick's The Tree of Life
Mar 05th 2012
with fashion, seems like the customer is too sophisticated
Mar 05th 2012
      also less tangible.
Mar 05th 2012
      Yeah couture fashion always was seen as high art
Mar 05th 2012

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 06:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I was daydreaming about Malick's The Tree of Life"
In response to Reply # 0

and thinking about all the spools of film he must've gone through to get the childhood montage, and the failed experiments after failed experiments it must've taken to get the creation sequence, and I thought what it takes for a big studio to set that up. No way Malick or tons of directors would do what they do as independants with digital cameras, even though cheap cams and a cool website are the future of film I think.

I've been thinking that smae thing about the seventies albums folks love so much and how major labels were integral, like Whats Goin on and such.

Still, talent needs Industry? The Jester needs the King's court? Sounds like an alluring theory but I can't say that's absolute tho. There must be tons of musical examples analogous to the Independent seventies filmmakers like Hopper and Coppola after their big bad studio system fell.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 06:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "with fashion, seems like the customer is too sophisticated"
In response to Reply # 1

to cop it online..the customer in this case is the buyers for big dept stores.

But with music, be it Krunchy Black or Aesop Rock, you either like it or you don't. Much like a t-shirt.

Guinness
Charter member
26270 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 07:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "also less tangible."
In response to Reply # 2

a dries van noten shirt doesn't feel like hanes.

Errol Walton Barrow
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
6186 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 07:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Yeah couture fashion always was seen as high art "
In response to Reply # 2

something representing the apex of western culture, while victrolas and 45s and sheet music were for the lower classes too poor to get into concert halls.

But I feel like music criticism and geeked fans viewed Albums as a way to legitimise popular music as High Art as well, with the best of it representing a legitimate cultural document of that time, on par with a great Novel perhaps, while the single was a transient product made for the good time of the moment.

However the market NEVER saw it like that, they and the record companies both saw them as t-shirts for the most part, and that attitude bled over to the internet age (well, that and the death of the record store of course). You never know tho, younger cats could, for outsider 'coolness' end up getting behind some albums they would deign going into a store and, you know, actually buy.

-------
http://adevotedappraisal.tumblr.com - Essays, reviews, short stories and free writes on music, film and life around us.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2670234 Previous topic | Next topic