Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2669963

Subject: "History is more Kinder to PM Dawn or Arrested Development?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 10:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"History is more Kinder to PM Dawn or Arrested Development?"

yeah you know i tend to do more modern acts posting in here and lately of course i've been talking about the 90's and I did love me some 90's that was my Younger days and I listen and heard alot of acts.

these two Particular Acts were big in the 90's however they fell off for different reasons.

question is now you have had to time to listen and just chill with there music who is History going to be more kinder to and who is going to get forgotten out of PM Dawn and Arrested Development?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is a tough question.
Mar 05th 2012
I know EYE like Aressted Development way more
Mar 05th 2012
Arrested Development
Mar 05th 2012
PM Dawn Wins In This Situation
Mar 05th 2012
no one still listens to either
Mar 05th 2012
PM dawn had a couple of good songs
Mar 05th 2012
I liked both when they came out...
Mar 05th 2012
Arrested Development
Mar 05th 2012
neither act holds up or will be really remembered by future generations
Mar 05th 2012
Last time I saw arrested development
Mar 05th 2012
it's funny, both PM Dawn & Arrested Development won their episode
Mar 05th 2012
PM Dawn was more ahead of their time, but AD was unduly hated on
Mar 05th 2012

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 08:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "This is a tough question."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-05-12 08:56 AM by Dr Claw

PM Dawn is probably still a bete noire of sorts in hip-hop circle though I'm pretty sure Prince Be is looking at the current crop of rap artists, with a wistful grin. There will be a bit of revisionist history regarding them, and how they were received (I remember they sold but I don't think dudes were really messing with them too much). However, with artists like this I believe someone's gotta take the fall so someone else can live. See: Hammer had to fall so that you could have the Interscope Superstars and even Master Pee (my rationale for this is simple: Hammer was a super rap star who got his name off independently sold-records, went to a major, blew the hell up in a way that you only saw with a Mike Jack, and had a fall grander than nearly any other artist... that was unheard of in rap).

Even if the artists today (and in the recent past) will most likely not cite PM Dawn as a direct influence, there's no denying the similar vibe they brought about.

Personally, I thought they were aping De La Soul a little too tough when I first heard "Memory Adrift", but I did find it both bold and hilarious that they yapped Spandau Ballet. It would be something I did on a rap album.

If I'm not mistaken, one of my favorite not-well-known projects of the 2000s that sort of brought those dudes to mind was Kirb and Chris's NIGGAZ AND WHITE GIRLZ -- if they say that they ain't had those dudes in mind when they were making some of those tracks, I'm dropping the "BS" card. That album was good and hilarious.

Arrested Development held most of the critical acclaim and they sort of vanished from the mainstream landscape once the mid-'90s hit, so I think that they'll still be remembered fondly should they be recalled.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40918 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 09:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I know EYE like Aressted Development way more"
In response to Reply # 0

PM Dawn made coma music, at least the 2 or 3 songs of theirs that I have heard

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Arrested Development"
In response to Reply # 0

although i must admit i never really listened to pm dawn albums, i just knew the singles. still like them though.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 01:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "PM Dawn Wins In This Situation"
In response to Reply # 0

Arrested Development is now seen as a joke rap group but PM Dawn even though was pushed as a rap duo they really are a r&b-ish type group who got hated on cause of KRS-One by the rap community but long after their songs still get tons of play on top40 stations and even adult contemporary stations everyday, sometimes two & three times a day; Arrested Development I only hear probably once a week on those same stations though.

When it comes to music, listeners' taste seem to change and the environment/landscape of today's music fits along with PM Dawn's sound now, so history is on their side.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 01:26 PM

5. "no one still listens to either"
In response to Reply # 0

or gives a shit about either.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 01:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "PM dawn had a couple of good songs"
In response to Reply # 0

Arrested Development's 1st album is fantastic overall

AD will fare better historically

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 01:50 PM

7. "I liked both when they came out..."
In response to Reply # 6

I think Arrested Development gets more respect because they had a pro vibe to them...

PM Dawn had a UK acid Jazz type of vibe. That being said... I think I had the PM Dawn Album and only bought the Tennessee Single.

maro
Charter member

8. "Arrested Development"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw them not more than 2 years ago. They were on point. In fact, that old dude that we all thought was mr. wendel from the videos was on stage with them. I would see them again. I would not see PM dawn though.

lurkin since 1999. werd.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 03:00 PM

9. "neither act holds up or will be really remembered by future generations"
In response to Reply # 0

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 03:02 PM

10. "Last time I saw arrested development"
In response to Reply # 0

They were playing at a horsetrack on the reality show about Amish people living in the city with city folk. It was some strange UPN show or something. I can't believe I watched that.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 03:50 PM

11. "it's funny, both PM Dawn & Arrested Development won their episode"
In response to Reply # 10

of that NBC show (Hit Me Baby.....One More Time) where older one-hit-wonder/washed-up acts re-form to compete against each other.

It was eventually going to be a tournament style after each episode/round of winners got together for a final episode but I think the show got cancelled before they got there.

Vanilla Ice won his episode too, it seemed like the early 90s rap acts had a built-in advantage in that they were younger & perhaps more remembered due to less time gone by then acts like The Knack, Tommy Tutone, The Motels and others that had come out almost a full decade before.

mr_graff
Member since Jan 25th 2006
4147 posts
Mon Mar-05-12 04:17 PM

12. "PM Dawn was more ahead of their time, but AD was unduly hated on"
In response to Reply # 0

From what I remember, PM Dawn was dissed for being too poppy and emotional, but seeing how the hip-hop landscape is now, they were way ahead of the curve.

I have a couple of Speech solo joints and recently (re)bought Zingalamaduni. I did not like that album when it was out (seems nobody did) but it sounds much better these days.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2669963 Previous topic | Next topic