Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2669828

Subject: "Is Duke Ellington America's Greatest Music Mind?" Previous topic | Next topic
Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 03:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is Duke Ellington America's Greatest Music Mind?"

Of course I love his music but after looking at wiki article. It's amazing how much he did and that he did it for over 50 years. So, Is Duke Ellington America's Greatest Music Mind? If not, who is? Where do you rank him as an overall talent? Just look below at the opening of the wiki article. That is amazing:

Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington (April 29, 1899 – May 24, 1974) was an American composer, pianist, and big-band leader. Ellington wrote over 1,000 compositions. In the opinion of Bob Blumenthal of The Boston Globe "In the century since his birth, there has been no greater composer, American or otherwise, than Edward Kennedy Ellington." A major figure in the history of jazz, Ellington's music stretched into various other genres, including blues, gospel, film scores, popular, and classical. His career spanned more than 50 years and included leading his orchestra, composing an inexhaustible songbook, scoring for movies, composing stage musicals, and world tours. Several of his instrumental works were adapted into songs that became standards. Due to his inventive use of the orchestra, or big band, and thanks to his eloquence and extraordinary charisma, he is generally considered to have elevated the perception of jazz to an art form on a par with other traditional genres of music. His reputation increased after his death and the Pulitzer Prize Board bestowed on him a special posthumous honor in 1999.

wow*************

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Monk
Mar 02nd 2012
RE: Monk
Mar 02nd 2012
Definitely one of if not thee. Yeah he was something.
Mar 02nd 2012
Lord Kellz got him beat.
Mar 02nd 2012
I'd have to say yes
Mar 02nd 2012
Probably...
Mar 02nd 2012
there's not a lot of argument against it, that's for sure...
Mar 02nd 2012
yo i have no fucking clue!
Mar 02nd 2012
Actually we do, there's something called history
Mar 02nd 2012
      yeah duh i know all that, my BA says history on it
Mar 02nd 2012
RE: He's one of the greats, that's for sure.
Mar 02nd 2012
james brown. nm
Mar 02nd 2012
That's another contender for sure...
Mar 02nd 2012
while i'll always have a place for him because he was my first
Mar 02nd 2012
"Reminisce In Tempo" Is Always A Testimony That Will Endure Time,,,,
Mar 02nd 2012
in my time Stevie Wonder
Mar 02nd 2012

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 04:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Monk"
In response to Reply # 0

Though I'm sure some would say Gershwin

Thanes1975
Member since Aug 03rd 2011
1618 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 04:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Monk"
In response to Reply # 1

Monk was amazing and born right here in North Carolina..lol..true legend

"Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds."-Albert Einstein

http://twitter.com/#!/TonyHanesPoetry

Artful Dodger
Member since Nov 20th 2009
8361 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 04:03 PM

3. "Definitely one of if not thee. Yeah he was something."
In response to Reply # 0

To be able to even sell his vision and get it across during that time period as well just... all around genius.

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 04:32 PM

4. "Lord Kellz got him beat."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-02-12 04:32 PM by ninjitsu

Kellz covered so much more territory as a Songwriter, producer and Artist.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 04:37 PM

5. "I'd have to say yes"
In response to Reply # 0

he's one of the greatest pianists in the history of jazz and that doesn't even begin to cover what he did
most artists would've stopped there

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 04:44 PM

6. "Probably..."
In response to Reply # 0

He's not my favourite jazz artist because I prefer jazz that is more loose and improvised but objectively speaking, I find him hard to beat. He was an amazing composer, bandleader, arranger, musician, gamechanger etc.

However, don't forget that Billy Strayhorn helped him a lot!!!

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 05:16 PM

7. "there's not a lot of argument against it, that's for sure..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 06:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "yo i have no fucking clue!"
In response to Reply # 0

i have no clue how anyone actually thinks they have the knowledge and ability to literally judge something so grand

this is like God level knowledge as far as my mind can conceive

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 06:20 PM

9. "Actually we do, there's something called history"
In response to Reply # 8

it really doesn't matter that say, Arthur from 14th century Italy would have been the greatest Military leader of all time if a great conflict occured in the world while he was 19 years old and the Italian military drafted him and Arthur distinguished himself in the conflict as a military leader..............

All we can say is looking at history is that people like Alexander the Great and General Patton became known as the greats.

and in American music, Ellington, Gershwin and Monk are known as the greats (yeah I know there are others up there).

So their work can be judged as GOAT status or not irregardless if we never knew how great some person who didn't get known was.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 06:24 PM

10. "yeah duh i know all that, my BA says history on it"
In response to Reply # 9

im just saying

in reality

you know what im saying

no one really *knows* this shit precisely bc history is not always accurate

im not even mad about this, don't get that impression, i'm just expressing that these big grand "who's the best" things are so truly unknown...

like, i KNOW MJ is the goat BBaller but REALLY i'd have to watch his entire career up against every other candidate to really KNOW KNOW you know what i mean???? and it's humanly impossible to take the time to really ***know*** that all these history and talking head based ideas are really really TRUE

it's just...what do we, any of us, really KNOW??????

/clowning

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 08:42 PM

11. "RE: He's one of the greats, that's for sure."
In response to Reply # 0

~Austin

Please donate.
For Anthony: http://bit.ly/xIIjaE
For Cris: http://bit.ly/whuzky

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com

http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus

http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 08:55 PM

12. "james brown. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

do or die

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 09:09 PM

13. "That's another contender for sure..."
In response to Reply # 12

The composition aspect is somewhat lacking obviously but on the other hand, in the context of *now*-or the past 30-40 years, he has had far bigger impact on modern music in terms of general aesthetics... At the same time, he is very much a product of Duke's approach to leading a band:writing (or "writing" in the case of JB) specifically for the musicians involved and/or involving them directly into the arrangement process

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 09:42 PM

14. "while i'll always have a place for him because he was my first "
In response to Reply # 0

introduction to Jazz and going to Harlem and Brooklyn and I loved his band and his music etc..

however to answer your Question the first person that comes to mind that i saw and felt that way about is Stevie Wonder.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Harlepolis
Member since Jan 09th 2011
1867 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 10:39 PM

15. ""Reminisce In Tempo" Is Always A Testimony That Will Endure Time,,,,"
In response to Reply # 0

Nina Simone said it best, he channels the revived classical composers, and he stood his ground.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Mar-02-12 11:44 PM

16. "in my time Stevie Wonder"
In response to Reply # 0

that is the first and only choice for me. i admire and respect a whole lot of Great artists, however he is the one for me when asked that question.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby The Lesson topic #2669828 Previous topic | Next topic