Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2669086

Subject: "most indie music of the late 00's-present is just unpopular pop. music." Previous topic | Next topic
david bammer
Member since Jun 20th 2010
4467 posts
Wed Feb-29-12 11:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"most indie music of the late 00's-present is just unpopular pop. music."
Wed Feb-29-12 11:22 PM by david bammer

i have a theory on how the monetary landscape of the contemporary music industry is becoming more like other facets of our society with a monopoly emerging.
where only a small % of acts have all of the market share and everybody else is basically dead in the water.
i would project that there are probably <10 major mainstream acts nowadays in america and these <10 acts probably account for more than 80% of all records sold in a year.
a la the vanishing middle class, 99%, etc.
but in music industry terms it's like the college radio-ification of everybody not in that <10 elite "plutonomy".

most of the music that gets a lot of praise on "indie" blogs isn't "challenging" or "iconoclastic" at it's core.
it's just unpublicized pop. music.
that is unless you are one of these people who swallowed the pill that the internet was "leveling the playing field" despite the embarrassing yields it's acts produce on soundscan/venue gates.

something like lykke li's "little bit" would have been a moderately successful top 40 record in 1997.
something like camera obscura's "lloyd, im ready to be heartbroken" would have been a moderately successful top 10 international record in 1995-2000.
i'm cherry picking the best examples, but the same goes for all these records.
azaelia bank's "212" is a top 40 record without coverage.
white denim's "street joy" could have easily been a pop. rock record by mid-late 90's standards.
95% of these so-called indie/underground/alternative acts are undeniably pop. imo.
i guess it's not just rap that has had it's influence via mainstream exposure whittled down to only a few controllable acts.
things are just rough all over.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the top has shrunk and the bottom has expanded
Mar 01st 2012
before I'd be willing to buy into this, you'd have to show me
Mar 01st 2012
Mar 01st 2012
absolutely
Mar 01st 2012
uhhhh, indy.livemixtapes.com man
Mar 01st 2012
Most? No
Mar 01st 2012
been like this for about 5 years
Mar 01st 2012
must be why indie rock bores the shit outta me these days
Mar 01st 2012
cross-post
Sep 19th 2012
RE: most indie music of the late 00's-present is just unpopular pop. mus...
Oct 11th 2012

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 05:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the top has shrunk and the bottom has expanded"
In response to Reply # 0

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 06:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "before I'd be willing to buy into this, you'd have to show me"
In response to Reply # 0

how diverse Top 40 lists were in these years you're talking about. I agree that there is a lot of indie music that's undeniably pop, but that's always been true (see: Magnetic Fields, Gorky's Zygotic Mincy, Super Furry Animals, so on so on).

If you're not accounting for the sounds of the times, then you're leaving something pretty essential to the Top 40 conversation out of the conversation.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

ninjitsu
Member since Oct 07th 2011
4151 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 07:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-01-12 07:49 AM by ninjitsu

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 01:05 PM

4. "absolutely"
In response to Reply # 0

BUT indie acts actually have more avenues than contemporary rappers and rely WAY LESS on free mixtalbums for "exposure".

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "uhhhh, indy.livemixtapes.com man"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Mar-01-12 04:03 PM by Nodima

there's at least 50 new releases a week
edit: and a LOT of them these days are albums complete with original beats

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas

http://www.last.fm/user/NodimaChee
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Nodima/run_that_shit__nodimas_hip_hop_handbook

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 05:17 PM

6. "Most? No"
In response to Reply # 0

There's a few problems with your argument.

First and foremost seems to be a bad assumption about what constitutes "most" indie music. Hard to even have this discussion without getting into that extreme generalization. Suffice to say I don't think cherry-picking a few examples makes your case.

Second, I may be extrapolating something you don't really believe, but you seem to be focusing on how challenging indie music is (or isn't). There's a wide gap between pop and the avant garde, and in the middle is all kinds of stuff that isn't especially experimental but also isn't at all commercial. That to me is where a lot of current indie music resides. Some of it even has the general trappings of pop music (song lengths, harmonies, beats, meter, sometimes even production style) while still being off in key ways that makes it simply impossible to sell to more than 50,000 people.

Third, I think pop's bar is constantly moving and in a lot of respects it's not fair to say "indie music is basically pop music" without acknowledging the alternative (and later indie) acts that got successful enough to subtly shift what is and isn't sellable. "Float On" wouldn't have been a potential hit song in 1980 (despite its overt melodicism, fun beat and general cheeriness). By the 2000s it was. Though maybe you feel indie artists should be moving forward and away from whatever is popular, regardless... I dunno. I'm not sure how I feel about this point, might want to revisit after I think about it more.

--

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 05:58 PM

7. "been like this for about 5 years"
In response to Reply # 0

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Thu Mar-01-12 09:44 PM

8. "must be why indie rock bores the shit outta me these days"
In response to Reply # 0

hip-hop was pretty damn lame till about 2009, but in the past few years it's blew right past indie rock as far as being interesting, fun, and unpredictable.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Sep-19-12 07:31 PM

9. "cross-post"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=11338470&mesg_id=11338470&listing_type=search

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Thu Oct-11-12 10:45 PM

10. "RE: most indie music of the late 00's-present is just unpopular pop. mus..."
In response to Reply # 0

>i would project that there are probably <10 major mainstream
>acts nowadays in america and these <10 acts probably account
>for more than 80% of all records sold in a year.

No.

There are a handful of acts who go platinum, yes, but there are so many acts that don't go platinum that comprise a wide bottom of the pyramid, so that the top sellers in no way, shape or form hold anywhere near 80% of the sales. A guy like Rick Ross is a top seller in rap and he barely made it to gold. Just because Roc Marciano is nowhere near him saleswise doesn't mean, for example, that Rick + Jay + Kanye + Wayne + Nicki + Drake = 80% of rap sales. And that's just in rap. In markets like rock, an incredible number of acts come out below the radar.

I think what's happening is, only a fraction of acts will make it past a certain sales amount: 350K appears to be the barrier for a lot of acts.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2669086 Previous topic | Next topic