Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2660176

Subject: "Can we talk about Soundgarden?" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56228 posts
Fri Feb-10-12 09:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can we talk about Soundgarden?"

Favorite album? Favorite songs? How did they stack up to their contemporaries? Ever see them live? Etc, etc. I'll let you know up front they are my favorite group of all time, so I will be brazenly bias. Favorite album is "Superunkown", but favorite song is "Outshined"...Ben killed that baseline (as he did most). Seen them live only once. Saw Chris live solo three times (killed it EVERY time). Add on.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
was down from Loud Love til the end.
Feb 10th 2012
you're right
Feb 10th 2012
I think I have most of their
Feb 10th 2012
One of the best bands of their era
Feb 10th 2012

woe.is.me.
Member since Aug 06th 2007
13957 posts
Fri Feb-10-12 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "was down from Loud Love til the end."
In response to Reply # 0

well, actually i got down with Superunknown then went backwards.
really great band.
i wanted to like Chris's solo work, but his voice just sounded too shot. especially in live videos.

i would've liked to have seen them in their prime.
favourite album is probably still superunknown. i haven't listened to it in years, but it had back to back, so many great songs.

badmotorfinger is a beast though.
jesus christ pose...outshined...etc

---
www.ikirejones.com
FW16: After Migration.

Dstl1
Charter member
56228 posts
Fri Feb-10-12 09:51 AM

2. "you're right"
In response to Reply # 1

Badmotorfinger is dope, but there's just something about the sound of Superunknown. The songs just resonate with me more.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

cjr2221
Member since Sep 04th 2011
1790 posts
Fri Feb-10-12 10:04 AM

3. "I think I have most of their"
In response to Reply # 0

LP's, but UltramegaOK's the only one I ever listen to, and Badmotorfinger on occasion.

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Fri Feb-10-12 10:16 AM

4. "One of the best bands of their era"
In response to Reply # 0

I like "Badmotorfinger" best - they really hit their stride, it sounds fantastic and very heavy, most of the tracks are good to great, and it has their best song, "Jesus Christ Pose." "Superunknown" is pretty close in quality and a little more diverse. "Louder Than Love" has some amazing highlights ("Gun" comes to mind) but is a bit rough around the edges.

I think they set themselves apart from their peers in a number of ways: they were more truly metal than anybody else (the Sabbath influence is obvious on a lot of their songs). Their songwriting was better and more interesting. Chris Cornell and Kim Thayil were just amazing on vocals and guitar, blowing away basically any of their respective competitors.

Great band.

--

Lobby The Lesson topic #2660176 Previous topic | Next topic