Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2659313

Subject: "is it Brown Sugar part 2 or Crystal Ball part 2?, January 26, 2000* " Previous topic | Next topic
self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 11:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"is it Brown Sugar part 2 or Crystal Ball part 2?, January 26, 2000* "

*Review submission date

first of all i think D'angelo has talent.but five years for this? the positives the music doesn't sound like the junk that's out here now and real instrumentation.the songs that stood out are the root,Spanish Joint is the best cut,Untitled(how does it feel) is the best cut prince hasn't done in years.the stuff that doesn't work left&right with method man&redmen that makes no sense.most of the album sounds just like the last one.you have to change your groove.it has catchy riffs like on the song feel like making love the classic song by Roberta Flack with the horn part.but it suffers from too much sameness aside from the tracks with Roy Hargrove&charlie Hunter who plays solid axe.the track AFRICA from the start with that drum track is a bite of I wonder u by Prince&the revolution from the parade album under the cherry moon soundtrack.he should just get into Prince's band.musically he is not on Prince's level.he should not take five years for much of the sameness.his baby's moma Angie Stone has a way better album than this check that out.it's one thing to be influenced by someone it's another to be stuck in there mirror.D'angelo,Maxwell,Lenny Kravitz are talented but not on Prince's old level.if you are on Prince's tip and want to be cleaver listen to MESHALLNDEOCELLO. shes the closes thing and yet maintains her own thing.the next one by D should not take 5 years.you have to be a superstar and not a clone.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2BADMYGD7MD7A/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000035X1M&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Say what you want about maxxx and his opinion(s) of D'Angelo, but you can't call him a retroactive hater. He actually gave Voodoo three stars. And trust me, compared to the one and two-star reviews this was tame.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LOL
Feb 08th 2012
He has over seven THOUSAND!! Dude just loves music.
Feb 08th 2012
      smells like Savant Syndrome.
Feb 08th 2012
      Is he an excellent driver ?
Feb 08th 2012
Feb 08th 2012
      It ain't just music he reviews LOL !
Feb 08th 2012
      how does he find the time to listen to all this
Feb 08th 2012
I remember this from back in the day
Feb 08th 2012
I thought this passage was dead-on.
Feb 08th 2012
      And those positives were why I was more than satisfied with Voodoo
Feb 08th 2012
           yeah... after hearing it for myself recently I felt the same way
Feb 08th 2012
           See this is a deal breaker for me
Feb 08th 2012
                LMAO
Feb 08th 2012
                You a damn fool for that lol
Feb 08th 2012
                And I totally understand that. I was able to overlook it though...
Feb 08th 2012
                     To each his own bruh
Feb 08th 2012
                     Riot still had WAY more melody than Voodoo, though.
Feb 08th 2012
                          Maybe half of the songs have melodies. Yeah, still more than Voodoo lol
Feb 08th 2012
                          Definitely
Feb 08th 2012
                               I personally was referring to the loose songwriting, vocal approaches...
Feb 08th 2012
always assumed it was a character.
Feb 08th 2012
Yeah, I've stumbled upon his reviews on Amazon
Feb 08th 2012
I'd forgotten that he used to have trouble with the spacebar
Feb 08th 2012

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

I used to kill hours reading maxxx's reviews back in the day

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "He has over seven THOUSAND!! Dude just loves music."
In response to Reply # 1

And he's passionate about it. I can't be mad at that, even when I don't share his opinion.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 12:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "smells like Savant Syndrome."
In response to Reply # 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome

Savant syndrome, sometimes referred to as savantism, is a rare condition in which people with developmental disorders have one or more areas of expertise, ability, or brilliance that are in contrast with the individual's overall limitations.

Though it is even rarer than the savant condition itself, some savants have no apparent abnormalities other than their unique abilities. This does not mean that these abilities weren't triggered by a brain dysfunction of some sort but does temper the theory that all savants are disabled and that some sort of trade-off is required.

fuck you.

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 01:40 PM

6. "Is he an excellent driver ?"
In response to Reply # 3

What the blood claaat ???

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 02:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "..."
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Feb-08-12 02:24 PM by Dr Claw

Pete Burns
Member since Oct 18th 2005
5445 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 01:39 PM

5. "It ain't just music he reviews LOL !"
In response to Reply # 2

What the blood claaat ???

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10114 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 04:52 PM

17. "how does he find the time to listen to all this"
In response to Reply # 2

wow, i think that i'm impressed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

OldPro
Member since Dec 10th 2002
34401 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 12:21 PM

4. "I remember this from back in the day"
In response to Reply # 0

I knew of maxxx from the org back then so when I stumbled upon his review it stuck with me... I thought he nailed it on voodoo then and it's an even truer read today.

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

Dr Claw
132212 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 02:26 PM

10. "I thought this passage was dead-on."
In response to Reply # 4

>I knew of maxxx from the org back then so when I stumbled
>upon his review it stuck with me... I thought he nailed it on
>voodoo then and it's an even truer read today.

"the positives the music doesn't sound like the junk that's out here now and real instrumentation."

the rest was pretty close to how I felt as well. it's kind of a damning account of the late '90s/early '00s

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 03:13 PM

11. "And those positives were why I was more than satisfied with Voodoo "
In response to Reply # 10

I was on my backpack rap, "why do you choose to listen to r&b" steeze at that point, as I HATED contemporary r&b in the mid to late nineties. Voodoo was perfect for me because of the live instrumentation, jam-like feel, hip-hop leanings and P**** influences. Sure the "songs" may have lacked melody and D may have been mumbling for most of it but I enjoyed the vibe, and was happy to have an alternative to "No more shopping sprees, no more V.I.P.s" and the like. That was enough for me. I'm not so attached to it that I can't understand or hear the fair criticisms of the album though.

Dr Claw
132212 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 03:23 PM

12. "yeah... after hearing it for myself recently I felt the same way"
In response to Reply # 11

and I was more a rap listener in the 1990s for similar reasons.

OldPro
34401 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 04:21 PM

13. "See this is a deal breaker for me"
In response to Reply # 11

>Sure the "songs" may have lacked melody

It's like saying "sure she has a dick but..." Like nothing else that comes after that matters.

Melody is what attracts me to most songs... it's one of the reasons why I dug Remy Shand even when cats were clowin' on this board. Now what I would have really dug was having D lay his vocals over "The Way I Feel" album... that would have been the best of both worlds.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 04:30 PM

14. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 13

>It's like saying "sure she has a dick but..." Like nothing
>else that comes after that matters.

Dude... Touching the titties a little bit ain't gonna hurt, man!

>Now what I would have really dug was having D lay
>his vocals over "The Way I Feel" album... that would have been
>the best of both worlds.

pun intended?

(and cosign, btw)

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

OldPro
34401 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 04:51 PM

16. "You a damn fool for that lol"
In response to Reply # 14

>Dude... Touching the titties a little bit ain't gonna hurt,
>man!

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 04:47 PM

15. "And I totally understand that. I was able to overlook it though..."
In response to Reply # 13

...being a full blown hip-hop head at the time. I liked the "sound" of that album. To me it was a soul album for and by rap (influenced) dudes, but not in that Jaheim, Ghetto Luv type of way.

That said, I've been listening to There's A Riot... a lot lately and that album is full of mumbling, noodling and melody-less songs as well. I guess Sly released enough material before that period to earn the ability to get away with it whereas D had/has not. Either way, I enjoy both albums for their vibe(s), melodies lacked and all. *shrug*

OldPro
34401 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 04:55 PM

18. "To each his own bruh"
In response to Reply # 15

>...being a full blown hip-hop head at the time. I liked the
>"sound" of that album. To me it was a soul album for and by
>rap (influenced) dudes, but not in that Jaheim, Ghetto Luv
>type of way.

If that's what moves you then I can see why you dug it

>That said, I've been listening to There's A Riot... a lot
>lately and that album is full of mumbling, noodling and
>melody-less songs as well. I guess Sly released enough
>material before that period to earn the ability to get away
>with it whereas D had/has not. Either way, I enjoy both albums
>for their vibe(s), melodies lacked and all. *shrug*

Well I'm on record as not being the biggest Sly fan either so...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 05:07 PM

19. "Riot still had WAY more melody than Voodoo, though."
In response to Reply # 15

Despite the muddy production, there's actual songs in there.

Not to mention much, much stronger grooves.

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 06:41 PM

20. "Maybe half of the songs have melodies. Yeah, still more than Voodoo lol"
In response to Reply # 19

I definitely agree about the grooves though. Listening to Voodoo today, I can recognize that it is somewhat monotonous and rigid.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 08:15 PM

22. "Definitely"
In response to Reply # 19

>Not to mention much, much stronger grooves.

That's why I never got the comparison. As harmonically static as long stretches of TARGO is, there's still a SHITLOAD of kinetic energy and "inner" movement in the grooves with instruments pushing and stretching in all directions-it's almost like electric Miles but done right. That's not the vibe I got from ''Voodoo'' at all...

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 08:43 PM

23. "I personally was referring to the loose songwriting, vocal approaches..."
In response to Reply # 22

and the fact that both albums have a somewhat consistent vibe/sound throughout. The only comparison I'd even consider making regarding the instrumentation would be the percussion due to Riot's being (mostly) programmed and ?uest's intentional programmed-esque drumming style on Voodoo. And even that would be a stretch.

Szabo
Member since Dec 16th 2007
2429 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 01:48 PM

7. "always assumed it was a character."
In response to Reply # 0

ala Big Ghost. wow.

Coco la chapelle
Member since Sep 17th 2006
3019 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 02:16 PM

8. "Yeah, I've stumbled upon his reviews on Amazon"
In response to Reply # 0

It was verry random, I've then looked for several of his reviews because it's the only way he actually write about the tracks and the music on a particular album ... I find that weird that he doesn't even bother geting into those "details" when he post here.

ZipZapZopZoup
Member since May 09th 2005
1784 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 08:14 PM

21. "I'd forgotten that he used to have trouble with the spacebar"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2659313 Previous topic | Next topic