Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2659110

Subject: "Anybody Know Why Mushroom Left Massive Attack?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 07:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Anybody Know Why Mushroom Left Massive Attack?"

Did he leave on his on or was he forced out of the group? Also, who did what in the group? Like who handled most of the production? I was always curious as to who was the creative force behind the group. With that said, Mezzanine is my favorite album by the group and I don't think 100th Window is that bad. Small Time Shot Away is probably in my top 5 Massive Attack songs of all-time.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Anybody Know Why Mushroom Left Massive Attack?
Feb 07th 2012
Feb 07th 2012
Feb 08th 2012
Feb 07th 2012
Feb 07th 2012
I don't agree with this:
Feb 07th 2012
?
Feb 08th 2012
      How'd You Feel About Heligoland?
Feb 08th 2012
      i really like it
Feb 08th 2012
      RE: ?
Feb 08th 2012

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 07:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Anybody Know Why Mushroom Left Massive Attack?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've read numerous times he was the biggest hip-hop head in the group, and he didn't like the change in direction that started with Mezzanine.

3D said around the time of 100th Window that Massive is more a collective than a group, which is why people have came and gone as they pleased (Tricky, Mushroom, Daddy G, Davidge).

3D is the only person who has been on all their albums.

16580 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 07:22 PM

2. "RE: Anybody Know Why Mushroom Left Massive Attack?"
In response to Reply # 1

Has 3D always been "the leader" of the group?

Spyder7
Charter member
3616 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 12:43 AM

6. "RE: Anybody Know Why Mushroom Left Massive Attack?"
In response to Reply # 2

>Has 3D always been "the leader" of the group?

Eh, not so much. It was an even three way split. Then with "Mezzanine" it was evenly divided but 3D's dark rock came more to the forefront. 3D became the defacto leader when Daddy G. took a break to take care of family stuff. And by the time "Mezzanine" dropped they were recording in two different camps so it wasn't that hard for 3D to just record more. Then when Daddy G. came back it was to more of the "Protection" division of labor I believe.

"I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all."

"Shit, this board is full of villians enough to start a Legion Of Doom AND A Brotherhood of Evil"--DawgEatah

http://agitreader.com/wp2/
We are NOT a blog. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

TheAtotheK
Member since Oct 06th 2007
1072 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 08:40 PM

3. "RE: Anybody Know Why Mushroom Left Massive Attack?"
In response to Reply # 0

According to the book "Straight Outa Bristol", (which was published in 1996) Mushroom does the main pre-production, assembling tracks in his home studio. I loved "Mezzanine" and wondered why Mushroom wasn't excited about the groups direction. That album can not be mistaken for anything else but a definitive Bristol sound. Massive Attack is said to be back in the studio working on a new album rejoined with Tricky which should be interesting.

------< First pitch hit deep left field just foul. The second pitch driven deep right field just foul. On the third pitch...like Pete Rock and CL Smooth he straightened it out. Deep center for a home run. - Stuart Scott

16580 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 09:33 PM

4. "RE: Anybody Know Why Mushroom Left Massive Attack?"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm interested in seeing with they come up with. No word on if Mushroom is back in the fold?

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 09:47 PM

5. "I don't agree with this:"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Feb-07-12 09:47 PM by Jakob Hellberg

>That album can not be mistaken for anything else
>but a definitive Bristol sound.

I always viewed the stereotypical Bristol sound as rooted in a certain"sound-system" culture; one that may be a bit trippy, moody and weird but still firmly rooted in Hip-Hop, dub, reggae, soul, funk etc. I didn't get that vibe from "mezzanine" at all; it felt more like an art-rock record made in an electronica context or something. Of course, this is a subjective feeling but I think they changed a lot on that record (which I didn't like BTW, I was never into that vibe) and divorced themselves from what at least I viewed as the original Bristol sound...

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 08:39 AM

7. "?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Massive Attack is said to be
>back in the studio working on a new album rejoined with Tricky
>which should be interesting.

is this comment circa now or 1996? i'd like a new album w/ 3D, daddy g, mushroom, and tricky, even though i haven't really liked much of tricky's music in the last 10 years. that said, i'm still enjoying MA as is.

16580 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 08:46 AM

8. "How'd You Feel About Heligoland?"
In response to Reply # 7

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 08:57 AM

9. "i really like it"
In response to Reply # 8

even though i was hyped for it to come out, by the time it was released and i received it, i'd already had in my head all the ho hum and negative reactions from people that i was put right off of listening for over a year. i finally did and really enjoyed it. i still have it in rotation.

TheAtotheK
Member since Oct 06th 2007
1072 posts
Wed Feb-08-12 06:32 PM

10. "RE: ?"
In response to Reply # 7

This is going on right now. There still is a little tension between Tricky and Massive Attack, regarding the creative process but everything is going according to plan. Although I have not been into much of Tricky's music for the past few years I still think he was part of making some of the most alluring and daring music of the mid to late 90s so I always have a little hope that he may return to form. No word on whether Mushroom is back in the mix.

------< First pitch hit deep left field just foul. The second pitch driven deep right field just foul. On the third pitch...like Pete Rock and CL Smooth he straightened it out. Deep center for a home run. - Stuart Scott

Lobby The Lesson topic #2659110 Previous topic | Next topic