Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2658618

Subject: "I had really hoped Penitentiary Philosophy would spark a movement? The s..." Previous topic | Next topic
Arkitech
Charter member
7082 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 02:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I had really hoped Penitentiary Philosophy would spark a movement? The s..."

PP is probably one of my favorite Badu songs, it's also completely different than anything else in her catalog. When I first heard the song I just knew that other artists would jump on board start a black/soul rock movement. Unfortunately it has'nt happened yet and probably won't.

Now just for clarification I'm not referring to a black band who plays rock, but a black band who plays rock fused with soul. Cree Summer comes to mind when I think of rock with soulful influences. Wish there was more of it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dude...
Feb 06th 2012
and no ones hearing you.... Fishbone all days, every days
Feb 07th 2012
Those are good bands you listed
Feb 07th 2012
ever heard of Funkadelic?
Feb 06th 2012
RE: ever heard of Funkadelic?
Feb 07th 2012
also:
Feb 06th 2012
just a musical movement
Feb 07th 2012
I agree with the idea. Penitentiary Philosophy is really special
Feb 06th 2012
what does ANY of this shit mean?
Feb 07th 2012
      Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........Yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 07th 2012
well, it lead to some nice work from ?uest, pino, and poyser
Feb 06th 2012
Joi had already been in that lane
Feb 07th 2012
yeah.
Feb 07th 2012
I respect your idealism.
Feb 07th 2012

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 05:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Dude..."
In response to Reply # 0

>PP is probably one of my favorite Badu songs, it's also
>completely different than anything else in her catalog. When I
>first heard the song I just knew that other artists would jump
>on board start a black/soul rock movement. Unfortunately it
>has'nt happened yet and probably won't.

Fishbone, 24-7 Spyz and a few other bands did it in the 90's. And did it QUITE well.

Ain't no new thang (c) Gil Scott-Heron

>
>Now just for clarification I'm not referring to a black band
>who plays rock, but a black band who plays rock fused with
>soul.

Again. Are you familiar with those bands I just mentioned? And not in the "yeah, I've heard of 'em but don't know their material" kinda way.

Fishbone made some REAL Soulful Rock shit and some Rockin' shit with Soul. I think you might find what you're looking for if you gave them a fair listen.

Cree Summer comes to mind when I think of rock with
>soulful influences. Wish there was more of it.

I don't know why you're expecting Cree Summer and E to fulfill the chasm between Rock and Soul, but we can all discuss it...

http://www.windimoto.com

http://ten2one.wordpress.com/ <-FEB

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 03:14 PM

10. "and no ones hearing you.... Fishbone all days, every days"
In response to Reply # 1

>>PP is probably one of my favorite Badu songs, it's also
>>completely different than anything else in her catalog. When
>I
>>first heard the song I just knew that other artists would
>jump
>>on board start a black/soul rock movement. Unfortunately it
>>has'nt happened yet and probably won't.
>
>
>Fishbone, 24-7 Spyz and a few other bands did it in the 90's.
>And did it QUITE well.
>
>Ain't no new thang (c) Gil Scott-Heron
>
>
>>
>>Now just for clarification I'm not referring to a black band
>>who plays rock, but a black band who plays rock fused with
>>soul.
>
>Again. Are you familiar with those bands I just mentioned? And
>not in the "yeah, I've heard of 'em but don't know their
>material" kinda way.
>
>Fishbone made some REAL Soulful Rock shit and some Rockin'
>shit with Soul. I think you might find what you're looking for
>if you gave them a fair listen.
>
>Cree Summer comes to mind when I think of rock with
>>soulful influences. Wish there was more of it.
>
>I don't know why you're expecting Cree Summer and E to fulfill
>the chasm between Rock and Soul, but we can all discuss
>it...
>
>
>

Arkitech
Charter member
7082 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 06:41 PM

11. "Those are good bands you listed"
In response to Reply # 1

But I noticed you could only think of 2 as you wrote that reply and their impact was primarily in the 90's. Fast forward a decade later and where are those groups now? Where are the groups in that same vein of music? There's a serious lack of soulful rockers

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 05:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ever heard of Funkadelic?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lenny Kravitz?

Prince?

fuck you.

Arkitech
Charter member
7082 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 06:46 PM

12. "RE: ever heard of Funkadelic?"
In response to Reply # 2

>Lenny Kravitz?
>
>Prince?
>
>

Funkadelic was decades ago

Lenny Kravitz has his moments

Prince has the talent, but he's never been focused on just rock

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 05:32 PM

3. "also:"
In response to Reply # 0

what kind of "Movement" were you expecting? Cultural? Social? Artistic?

What do you think this movement would consist of?

http://wallpapershi.net/wallpapers/2012/01/boba-fett-star-wars-star-wars-boba-fett-movie-anime-1080x1920.jpg

Arkitech
Charter member
7082 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 06:49 PM

13. "just a musical movement"
In response to Reply # 3

I would have thought black musicians at some point would have revisited their roots in the form of rock.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13924 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 06:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I agree with the idea. Penitentiary Philosophy is really special"
In response to Reply # 0

but, it fits into Badu's eclectic thing that made "Mama's Gun" a great Cd and the follow-up "WorldWide Underground" a great follow-up to "Mama's Gun", so I can't really be too disappointed that most rock oriented black musicians and the non-rock oriented black musicians didn't jump on that particuliar style.

The ending segment of "I want you" is another great Badu rock moment: the "just because I tell you I love you don't mean that I do..." part, that was more Badu rock that is yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm saying it just makes Badu stand out more on her own that others didn't step up.

disco dj
Charter member
84260 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 12:43 AM

6. "what does ANY of this shit mean?"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Feb-07-12 12:49 AM by disco dj

>but, it fits into Badu's eclectic thing that made "Mama's
>Gun" a great Cd and the follow-up "WorldWide Underground" a
>great follow-up to "Mama's Gun", so I can't really be too
>disappointed that most rock oriented black musicians and the
>non-rock oriented black musicians didn't jump on that
>particuliar style.
>

I'm not trying to be difficult. But what does any of this shit have to do with the topic at hand?

You're saying "eclectic thing", meaning what? and if you're not disappointed that rock oriented black musicians *AND* non-rock oriented musicians ( which is pretty much the OPPOSITE of who you were talking about at first) didn' jump on her style, then what are you asking of her?

What the hell does that even mean. Reread your post.

You basically said: 'It doesn't bother me that musicians did or didn't jump on her style.'

That's the most non-committal shit ever said. How can you even have an opinion, when you, by your own admission, DON'T HAVE AN OPINION?

"I'm not disappointed that people did or didn't want to do what she was trying to do.."

>The ending segment of "I want you" is another great Badu rock
>moment: the "just because I tell you I love you don't mean
>that I do..." part, that was more Badu rock that is
>yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
>

What does that even mean?

>So I'm saying it just makes Badu stand out more on her own
>that others didn't step up.

But she hasn't made anything in that vein ( this so-called blend of Funk/Soul/Rock) since then? If she "stood out" or was trying to, she'd be making more of this shit, right? Fishbone fought the good fight from the 80's until the 00's. If you're trying to change the world, you don't throw in the towel after ONE attempt at it...

C'mon man. Let's talk about music...

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13924 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 08:57 AM

8. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........Yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue Feb-07-12 09:32 AM by c71

>>but, it fits into Badu's eclectic thing that made "Mama's
>>Gun" a great Cd and the follow-up "WorldWide Underground" a
>>great follow-up to "Mama's Gun", so I can't really be too
>>disappointed that most rock oriented black musicians and the
>>non-rock oriented black musicians didn't jump on that
>>particuliar style.
>>
>
>I'm not trying to be difficult. But what does any of this shit
>have to do with the topic at hand?

The topic was the OP wanted a soulful Black Rock movement in the vein of black musicians making songs that grooved like "Penitentiary Philosophy" instead say of Funkadelic's "super stupid", Fishbone's "Sunless Saturaday" or Living Color's "Cult of Personality" or Lenny Kravitz's "Are you gonna go my way" or "Fly away". I agree because I like the groove and bump of Badu's "Penitentiary Philosophy" more than the "usual" rock style of those type of "trad" Black Rock" songs.

>
>You're saying "eclectic thing", meaning what?

Eclectic meaning Badu did a range of styles on "Mama's Gun" so the style on "Penitentiary Philosophy" is just one of the great styles on the "Mama's Gun" CD

>and if you're not disappointed that rock oriented black musicians *AND* >non-rock oriented musicians ( which is pretty much the
>OPPOSITE of who you were talking about at first)

Opposite of what? I talked of Badu. Who or what was I talking of "at first"? Let's examine my opening sentences before I wrote of rock oriented black musicians and non-rock black musicians:

I agree with the idea. Penitentiary Philosophy is really special but, it fits into Badu's eclectic thing that made "Mama's Gun" a great Cd and the follow-up "WorldWide Underground" a great follow-up to "Mama's Gun", so I can't really be too disappointed that-------

Ok, WHERE IS THE "AT FIRST" MUSICIANS I WAS WRITING ABOUT IN THESE SENTENCES???????????????

>didn' jump on her style, then what are you asking of her?

I'm not asking anything of Badu in that reply (if I want to ask Badu for anything, I'll do that when I feel like it. I didn't in that reply. I was praising Badu for making a good song "Penitentiary Philosophy" and for being eclectic enough to make a cd "Mama's Gun" with many different styles on it).

>What the hell does that even mean. Reread your post.
>

this is fun and I'll go all day "clarifying" whatever I say. Yep.

>You basically said: 'It doesn't bother me that musicians did
>or didn't jump on her style.'
>
>That's the most non-committal shit ever said. How can you even
>have an opinion, when you, by your own admission, DON'T HAVE
>AN OPINION?
>

I'm saying what Badu did on "Mama's Gun" and "WWU" is good enough for me WITHOUT A BLACK ROCK SOUL MOVEMENT DEVELOPING FROM A "PENITENTIARY PHILOSOPHY" INFLUENCE LIKE THE OP WANTED. Ok???? The OP wanted a black rock soul movement influenced or set off by the great song "Penitentiary Philosophy". I'm saying Badu making two good CD's: "Mama's Gun" and "WWU" is good enough for me. Ok??????????

>>The ending segment of "I want you" is another great Badu
>rock
>>moment: the "just because I tell you I love you don't mean
>>that I do..." part, that was more Badu rock that is
>>yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>
>What does that even mean?
>

I'm giving the OP another example of Badu doing rock that is why I like Badu doing rock. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO YOU???

>
>>So I'm saying it just makes Badu stand out more on her own
>>that others didn't step up.
>
>But she hasn't made anything in that vein ( this so-called
>blend of Funk/Soul/Rock) since then? If she "stood out" or was
>trying to, she'd be making more of this shit, right? Fishbone
>fought the good fight from the 80's until the 00's. If you're
>trying to change the world, you don't throw in the towel after
>ONE attempt at it...
>
>

What Badu did on "Mama' Gun" and "WWU" is good enough for me. Badu's eclectic abilities and her personality make her stand out. Badu standing out is good enough for me. If she does more soul rock, then that's great, but if not, then what Badu already did is good enough.

I been through the black rock scene in NYC. Was a BRC member. Did the radio show for a few weeks after the dude in charge of the BRC now (Earl Douglas) was kicked off of it in the mid 90's. If there's some value to the current black rock scene, hey that would be great, but I believe it won't be as "Penitentiary Philosophy" influenced as the OP or I would want, that is why I agree with the OP that it would be ideal if there was a black rock scene that was more influenced by songs of the style of "Penitentiary Philosophy", but I'm just happy about what Badu did on "Mama's Gun" and "WWU" anyway without that development.

I hope Badu would make music I would like more nowadays (I'm not into the last two CD's) but I'm glad others like her new stuff and I think Badu can eventually do some new stuff that will be good.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Mon Feb-06-12 06:17 PM

5. "well, it lead to some nice work from ?uest, pino, and poyser"
In response to Reply # 0

on nikka costa's EGTS.

she ain't black, but it was some soulful-ish rock-ish funky shit that was in the same vein. and every bit as convincing as PP.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16833 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 01:13 AM

7. "Joi had already been in that lane"
In response to Reply # 0

she just never got any exposure on a bigger scale. I used to go check her on Tuesdays at this spot in the Underground and she used to rock out.

<================================
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20787335@N08

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 11:59 AM

9. "yeah."
In response to Reply # 7

fuck you.

BarTek
Member since Nov 10th 2002
51250 posts
Tue Feb-07-12 07:47 PM

14. "I respect your idealism."
In response to Reply # 0

let's play ping pong ■

Lobby The Lesson topic #2658618 Previous topic | Next topic