Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2658107

Subject: "About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc" Previous topic | Next topic
Get On The Good Foot
Member since Feb 04th 2012
22 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 03:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc"
Sun Feb-05-12 03:01 AM by Get On The Good Foot

Miles Davis had an extraordinary career and an extensive one at that. He did so much for Jazz and music and had one of the longest careers music has ever seen. What are some of your favorite albums, songs, live performances by him? And what is or are you favorite era(s) of him? Miles' discography runs long and he did a lot with his music, what about his work do you find the most brilliant and amazing?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: This is my favorite era:
Feb 05th 2012
58-72 is where you will find me where Miles is concearned
Feb 05th 2012
I hear that. The thing I really admire about Miles Davis is...
Feb 05th 2012
he was in a time period when a Artist could paint a canvas
Feb 05th 2012
      I agree. I remember in his autobiography he spoke on....
Feb 05th 2012
           thats how Herbie hancock evolved and lasted
Feb 05th 2012
                I agree.
Feb 05th 2012
That's just about the exact time period I dig the most as well
Jul 13th 2012
      Water Babies is an out-take comp.
Jul 13th 2012
RE: About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc
Jul 12th 2012
Jul 13th 2012
Jul 13th 2012
i like to pretend he stopped recording after Nefertiti.
Jul 13th 2012
That would leave out Files De Kilamanjaro though
Jul 13th 2012
      i'll live.
Jul 13th 2012
      I'd still recommend that album. Highly
Jul 13th 2012
           i think i've heard it.
Jul 13th 2012
                Maybe half.
Jul 13th 2012
                then i think i may have sold it.
Jul 13th 2012
                Literally
Jul 13th 2012
      That's a great album IMO...
Jul 13th 2012
           I mean, yeah. Even Stanley Crouch doesn't hate on it
Jul 13th 2012
My favourite era is 65-67
Jul 13th 2012
1967 - 1977
Jul 13th 2012
Jul 14th 2012
Jul 14th 2012
Jul 14th 2012
Jul 14th 2012

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 03:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: This is my favorite era: "
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.allmusic.com/album/1965-68-the-complete-columbia-studio-recordings-r334232/review

But just about everything up until 75 is worthwhile.

~Austin

Please donate. For Anthony: http://bit.ly/xIIjaE

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com

http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus

http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 04:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "58-72 is where you will find me where Miles is concearned"
In response to Reply # 0

as talented as he was as a Musician, he was even better as a talent scout and I mean he truly got the right people for each direction and sound he wanted to go in.

He had a big ego and yet he was cool enough to asemble cats who had incredible chops and who could modernize what was happpening and yet keep it as Miles.

Miles embraced the changes in music and yet stayed in his lane. he took that gumbo and stired up his own soup.

i enjoyed the Progression and fusion he went in.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Get On The Good Foot
22 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 04:36 AM

3. "I hear that. The thing I really admire about Miles Davis is..."
In response to Reply # 2

the way he constantly changed with the times but did it without ever losing his step or way. He had this very unique way of staying current without losing his sound and look but at the same time he kept both his sound and look current and up to the minute. His music and image always stayed fresh, never stale.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 04:49 AM

4. "he was in a time period when a Artist could paint a canvas"
In response to Reply # 3

without dealing with all the modern technilogy and outlets to interfere.

he just expanded his horizens and he didn't want to sound old and he embraced the current and swam in that lake as to avoid it.

he didn't act like he was above what was happening.

he wanted what Motown was doing, what Sly and the Family stone, Jimi Hendrix,James brown, etc.. were doing and he wanted to be embraced fully and stay cool with Black America more importantly.

he made it a purpose to identify with a pulse.

you could tell with the "Jack Johnson" Soundtrack he wanted to make a statement.

He was on his Dr King,Malcolm X, Black Panther party, etc.. movement through his horn and he wanted to make a statement

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Get On The Good Foot
22 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 05:03 AM

5. "I agree. I remember in his autobiography he spoke on...."
In response to Reply # 4

how important it was to embrace change and stay current and knowing how important it was that times change but with each period in time comes something new and how the past is the past but there's a present and future. He seemed to be always looking towards the future. I liked his attitude and outlook on music.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 05:11 AM

6. "thats how Herbie hancock evolved and lasted"
In response to Reply # 5

same with Grover washington jr, george benson,donald byrd, the crusaders, etc.. cats got tired of playing the same ole standards and embraced anything different and went there.

no matter what anybody says especially a Black Superstar in music, nobody wants to be seen as a Old cat who can't embrace the new regardless of what they think.

but when you can bring in a John Coltrane, Tony Williams, Joe Zwanal(Misspelled) Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Chic Corea, Michael Henderson, John Mcclaughlin, James Mtume, and keep it moving that speaks volumes.

also Miles wanted to make a statement and say yeah i can do your thing and still be me.

he made the musical lines blurred and it worked.

Get On The Good Foot
22 posts
Sun Feb-05-12 05:23 AM

7. "I agree."
In response to Reply # 6

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "That's just about the exact time period I dig the most as well"
In response to Reply # 2

Though I guess I'd start in 1957, 'cause that's when "Bag's Groove" dropped. But I looked through his discography, and the Miles stuff I'm into the hardest starts with that Bag's Groove album (1957) and goes until "On the Corner" (1972). I'll include "Water Babies" in that period as well; even though it was released in '74, but was recorded in '68.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:55 PM

21. "Water Babies is an out-take comp."
In response to Reply # 19

I think half the songs are outtakes from the Nefertiti or Sorcerer-sessions in 67 and the rest is fusion tracks from 69 or 68...

Basically, it should not really be judged against his other stuff in that era because it's more of a retro-comp even if the VERY 70's-looking cover leads you to think otherwise...

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Jul-12-12 11:26 AM

8. "RE: About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc"
In response to Reply # 0

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 12:44 PM

9. "RE: About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc"
In response to Reply # 0

I dont know too much about Miles although I used to have the tribute to jack johnson lp that he did. I sure wish that they would have released the so called album that he did with Prince.

Strangeways
1988 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 12:46 PM

10. "RE: About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember that Prince said on tavis smiley that Miles had a way with critiquing albums and what an artist did rather than just dismissing you and calling you a punk.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 03:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "i like to pretend he stopped recording after Nefertiti."
In response to Reply # 0

b/c all that electric shit is horrible, imo. at least the stuff i've heard. and i've heard enough of it.

i'm down w/him up until 1967/68.

fuck you.

mrhood75
44720 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "That would leave out Files De Kilamanjaro though"
In response to Reply # 11

Which is very much in my top 5 Miles' album, and one of his most beautiful sounding recordings. Even if you don't like his electric stuff (which I do, to an extent), it's probably not fair to leave that one off. It's a transitional album that incorporates some electric in it, but it's mostly a traditional jazz album.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:39 PM

14. "i'll live."
In response to Reply # 13

fuck you.

mrhood75
44720 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:44 PM

16. "I'd still recommend that album. Highly"
In response to Reply # 14

-----------------

www.albumism.com

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:49 PM

18. "i think i've heard it."
In response to Reply # 16

is it half acoustic and half electric?

fuck you.

mrhood75
44720 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:52 PM

20. "Maybe half."
In response to Reply # 18

Carter, Hancock, and Corea play electric on some of it, but not all of it.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:58 PM

22. "then i think i may have sold it."
In response to Reply # 20

i bought several albums from the electric period and tried to get into them (Bitches Brew, On the Corner, Live-Evil, Jack Johnson). i couldn't. i ended up selling them. i think this album was in that bunch.

fuck you.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:58 PM

23. "Literally"
In response to Reply # 18

The keyboards are electric throughout, the bass I'm not sure of but it sounds pretty acoustic to me on some songs, electric on others.

Anyway, none of the bass-lines are walking so it sounds decidedly less ''jazzy'' than his previous albums and also, the drum-patterns are more "funk/rock"-inspired...

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:43 PM

15. "That's a great album IMO..."
In response to Reply # 13

It's the one album which the Miles-fusion haters can dig IMO. He really got a great form of acoustic-meets-electric/traditional-meets-pop type jazz going on that album and it's only in the past decades or so people have caught on to that sound. Actually, one of my favorite swedish jazz-acts (=Goran Kajfes) is running with that sound to a certain extent on some albums and since Miles didn't ''finish'' it, I think it's fair game...

mrhood75
44720 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:45 PM

17. "I mean, yeah. Even Stanley Crouch doesn't hate on it"
In response to Reply # 15

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 05:35 PM

12. "My favourite era is 65-67"
In response to Reply # 0

May not seem like a long time but he recorded a shitload of music in that era with a band I consider a GOAT in terms of ''best band ever''-the classic Coltrane Quartet is a valid competitor but as dope as they were, they were still a bit too dominated by their leader in terms of general musical conception, ideas, compositions etc. Miles band in that era on the other hand was a *band* to the core; maybe a band that was guided by Miles vision but a band none the less-just look at the credits or listen to the music and you see what I mean. Miles may have been the guiding hand and very important in terms of the general aesthetic of the band but again:they were a BAND (tm). For a rockist like me (who still like jazz more than any other type of music but whatever), that's something I really appreciate, especially in the context of the era; 60's post-bop/free-jazz is my favorite type of jazz by far but often, the records were just done by pick-up musicians led by a leader so you get a bunch of dope instrumentalists playing a bunch of dope solos but where is the overall musical conception? Where is the vision that makes this date stand out from another one apart from just having another set of dudes with individual styles? *That* aspect is something that only a rare cache of jazz-musicians in that era had and yes, in that context (=Sun Ra, Mingus, Bill Evans, Coltrane, Ayler for a while etc.), Miles (65-67) delivered the hardest and that is something I wish more jazz-musicians did; to become band-leaders and *shape* a sound rather than just being a soloist who happens to lead a record with some talented dudes...

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Fri Jul-13-12 10:31 PM

24. "1967 - 1977"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-13-12 10:35 PM by Crash Bandacoot

miles smiles
complete bitches brew sessions
complete jack johnson sessions
live evil
on the corner
cellar door sessions
complete on the corner sessions
get up with it
agharta
pangea
dark magus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Strangeways
1988 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 12:59 PM

25. "RE: About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-14-12 01:00 PM by Strangeways

I just bought a cassette yesterday called bird of paradise and I couldn't get through the first track.

http://www.amazon.com/Bird-of-Paradise-CASSETTE/dp/B002BJORIO

Strangeways
1988 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 01:02 PM

26. "RE: About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know much at all about Miles Davis but my best friend told me that he was CRAZY.

Strangeways
1988 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 03:35 PM

27. "RE: About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc"
In response to Reply # 0

I was listening to Prince and eric leeds collaboration albums: Madhouse 8 and Madhouse 16 and Miles Davis would have eat all of that stuff up on the horns.

Strangeways
1988 posts
Sat Jul-14-12 03:52 PM

28. "RE: About:Miles Davis.. What are your favorite albums/era(s) etc"
In response to Reply # 0

when my uncle and I would go record shopping back in the 90's, I would always hear white people ask about bitches brew.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2658107 Previous topic | Next topic