Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2654019

Subject: "So who's interested in the Sixto Rodriguez doc?" Previous topic | Next topic
mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 06:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"So who's interested in the Sixto Rodriguez doc?"

"Searching for the Sugar Man," which just premiered at Sundance, is about the music of Sixto Rodriquez and it's effect on people in the most unlikely places. Both of Sixto's albums flopped in the U.S., but somehow made it over to apartheid-era South Africa, where they were widely bootlegged and pirated, and became unofficial "theme music" for the oppressed people of the country. The South African government apparently banned the albums at one time. Years later, two South Africans attempt to seek out and learn more about Rodriquez and his life, journeying all the way to his hometown in Detroit, to learn more about the rumored-dead artist.

The doc is getting decent (but not great) reviews from Sundance, and sounds pretty fascinating to me. It got picked up by Sony Picture Classics, but I don't expect it to get much, if any, distribution in the U.S., so this may be something to seek out on DVD/Netflix.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Oh, and here's a (lukewarm) review of the film:
Jan 26th 2012
sounds to me like they think the flaws are technical, not creative
Jan 27th 2012
I watched it today in a very roundabout way...
Sep 07th 2013
doc is dope
Sep 08th 2013

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Jan-26-12 06:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Oh, and here's a (lukewarm) review of the film:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/searching-sugar-man-sundance-film-283530

Failed in the U.S. but a success in apartheid-era South Africa, Rodriquez's story is a musical journey.

PARK CITY — If you’ve never heard of the American singer-songwriter known as Rodriquez, perhaps it’s because he reached his height of unlikely popularity in South Africa during the 1970s. After two albums that flopped in the U.S., Rodriquez’s songs improbably made their way to South Africa and spread like wildfire via bootlegs, motivating a generation of youth to join protests against the Apartheid regime of the time.

While Swedish filmmaker Malik Bendjelloul’s documentary Searching for Sugar Man possesses undeniable charm, Rodriquez’s Stateside obscurity poses certain challenges that could unpredictably complicate anything other than a narrow theatrical release, likely making DVD and broadcast safer bets.

Inspired by Rodriquez’s huge popularity in their country and intrigued by the artist’s mysterious background, two white South Africans who began independent investigations of his career in the mid-90s eventually combined resources in their quest to learn more about their musical hero. Like many of their generation, record retailer Stephen “Sugar” Segerman and music journalist Craig Bartholemew were huge fans of Rodriquez’s music, even though little was known of his life or career -- in fact, he was rumored to have died in a tragic on-stage suicide.

A Mexican-American folk lyricist and guitarist from Detroit, Sixto Rodriquez played solo in seedy bars on the wrong side of town before coming to the attention of producers Dennis Coffey and Mike Theodore in 1968. The two, who had previously recorded with Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder, were moved by Rodriquez’s soulful folk and blues numbers protesting racial and economic inequality, as well as more impressionistic tunes focusing on love and drugs, including the titular “Sugar Man.” They produced Rodriquez’s first album “Cold Fact” in 1970, fully expecting it to break into the mainstream, but the release was a flop. “Coming From Reality” in 1971 fared no better and his recording label unceremoniously dropped him.

In South Africa, meanwhile, “Cold Fact” was a huge hit that eventually went platinum while also spreading among fans via pirated copies. Despite his popularity, Bartholemew and Segerman had very few clues to pursue in their investigation – information about Rodriquez on the album cover of “Cold Fact” was sparse, so they turned to his lyrics for clues. Eventually they tracked him to Detroit and producer Theodore, who dropped a bombshell that completely changed the course of their inquiry and the trajectory of Rodriquez’s career.

Swedish documentarian Malik Bendjelloul begins his profile of the musician with Segerman and Bartholemew, tracing their investigation from South Africa to the U.S. and points beyond. The dearth of information on their subject is amply demonstrated through interviews with enthusiastic musicians and industry professionals in the film’s first hour. Although these experts are familiar with Rodriquez’s music, they have few details to offer on his life, while rumors of his unfortunate demise continue to persist.

Despite an affecting soundtrack featuring Rodriquez’s wistful music and penetrating lyrics, the unexpected twist late in the film struggles to overcome flagging narrative momentum following 60 minutes of interviews and largely unrelated cutaways showcasing attractive South African landscapes and gritty Detroit street scenes. An early, moody and well-executed animated sequence is never picked up later in the film and while all the interview subjects are enthusiastic, the overall lack of familiarity with Rodriquez’s personal background and career collapse begin to drag.

While it’s unquestionable that Rodriquez is long past receiving his due as an inspiring and accomplished musician, it’s unlikely that even re-editing some footage could improve the pacing, since there probably isn’t much worthwhile material to add, and so the film’s remarkable revelations come too late to relieve the creeping inertia.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Jan-27-12 08:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "sounds to me like they think the flaws are technical, not creative"
In response to Reply # 1

still worth checking out tho since it's LONG overdue in the first place

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Sat Sep-07-13 11:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I watched it today in a very roundabout way..."
In response to Reply # 0

"Anthony Fantano vs. Nardwuar" came up on my youtube recommended videos, so i watched that

then, clicked on Nas vs. Nardwuar even though I had seen it before
in that vid, they bring up the Rodriguez sample on "You're The Man"

i looked it up, and came to watch the entire documentary
slow in the beginning and some pointless timelapsing shots but it was such an amazing story
and have been listening to Rodriguez all day since then

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sun Sep-08-13 01:35 AM

4. "doc is dope"
In response to Reply # 0

both albums are dope as hell also

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Lobby The Lesson topic #2654019 Previous topic | Next topic