Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2778412

Subject: "how is "conscious rap" any more disingenuous than trap/gangsta?" Previous topic | Next topic
Fructose Soda
Member since Feb 19th 2012
2150 posts
Thu Feb-14-13 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"how is "conscious rap" any more disingenuous than trap/gangsta?"

Or rather, when did this become the general consensus amongst popular culture fans/artists?
I like "gangsta music" (in moderation) as well as other shit, so I'm not partial to any singular aesthetic.
But, why is "conscious" a dirty word, today?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
because ideas of "street" and "ghetto" don't usually evoke
Feb 14th 2013
Because conscious was just a word used
Feb 14th 2013
There is also a sort of "reality complex" that has always made rap intri...
Feb 14th 2013
It's simple: When people can't relate or have no desire to be somethin
Feb 14th 2013
every genre does this, to a degree.
Feb 14th 2013

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
14068 posts
Thu Feb-14-13 04:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "because ideas of "street" and "ghetto" don't usually evoke"
In response to Reply # 0

ideas of politically advanced/informed behaviors/activities.

So, "conscious" rap doesn't seem real. Sort of like a hope-pie in the sky-thing, compared to what seems "real" in the ghetto.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Feb-14-13 04:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Because conscious was just a word used"
In response to Reply # 0

to get headwrap hoes.

Rappin for da bitches won!!
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15328 posts
Thu Feb-14-13 05:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "There is also a sort of "reality complex" that has always made rap intri..."
In response to Reply # 0

OKP gets into real vs. Real, black vs. Black often enough so I don't think it's worth breaking down in THIS thread one more 'gain, but in the digital, everything's fucked and worthless age we live in, it can feel supremely corny to hear Superstar Quamallah take a break from his professorial pursuits to cut a rap album about eating right and being nice to your friends (while clarifying he's a better rapper than you and your friends, because he's a rapper).

There is also not an idealism around which like-minded artists can rally anymore. 1017, MMG, CTE and Duct Tape can all eat from the same plates because they're all perpetuating each other. But there isn't that constant, "unavoidable" barrage of eating your greens and respecting neighborhood leaders like there was in the late-90s, so there's no center mass for it. The most "conscious" rappers of any consequence that even come to mind for me these days would be, like...

Skyzoo
Saigon
Big KRIT
Kendrick Lamar
CunninLynguists
Roots
Stalley

I mean I'd throw G-Side in there, but they broke up. And NONE of these artists sound like stereotypical conscious, few of them seem to interact regularly.

Or more succinctly, 'conscious' is sort of dead as a term because it's dead as an identifiable genre. These guys are rapping over the same thudding 808s, for the most part, as everyone else.

And Waka Flocka is taking them to school anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5Ka7jQMyE

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Thu Feb-14-13 05:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It's simple: When people can't relate or have no desire to be somethin"
In response to Reply # 0

they call it fake or pretentious. Basically, folks don't believe there are negros out here who
care about their environment and think beyond sex with every woman with big ass and titties...
black people whose self esteem isn't connected to what material things they own.

We exist though. There's nothing pretentious about maturity.

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Thu Feb-14-13 06:06 PM

5. "every genre does this, to a degree. "
In response to Reply # 0

soul artists "grew up in the church."
country artists grew up "south of bakersfield."
rap artists have "street cred."

a lot of it is marketing, to a degree.

it's a way to make the fans have some kinda solidarity,
and it is a way for the gate keepers on the genre to ensure "authenticity."

some of it is bullshit,
some of it is real.

that's show business.