Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2756240

Subject: "Cities Aviv - Black Pleasure - One of the year's best free releases" Previous topic | Next topic
stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6741 posts
Thu Nov-15-12 11:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cities Aviv - Black Pleasure - One of the year's best free releases"

http://mishkanyc.bandcamp.com/album/black-pleasure-2

Definitely not for everyone, and I could see a lot of fans from his last album being disappointed, since this is noisier and "hipper."

But this record is one of the best examples of a credible blending of the rap and indie rock sound I've ever heard. The beats are somewhere between Animal Collective and, I don't know, some messier Chillwave stuff.

Voice has heavy reverb, sounds like the Death Grips guy at his (relative) calmest. Lyrics mostly bitter. He has a good flow. Simple, but good.

A few of you will love this.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the gentleman and the scholar is here
Nov 15th 2012
RE: the gentleman and the scholar is here
Nov 15th 2012
You had me at "indie rock"
Nov 15th 2012
I know it's a dumb phrase, but people know what it means.
Nov 15th 2012

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Nov-15-12 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the gentleman and the scholar is here"
In response to Reply # 0

thank you

stylez dainty
6741 posts
Thu Nov-15-12 11:37 AM

3. "RE: the gentleman and the scholar is here"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't know if it's stress or financial strains or whatever, but I've spent an INSANE amount of time slopping through bandcamp/soundcloud and blogs for new rap this year. Like it would be embarrassing to say how much time I've spent. Honestly, the results have been very sad. About 7 mix cds worth of stuff. Which might sound like a lot, but compared to how much time I spent, it isn't.

One of these days I think I'll try to pull together the best and post it up, so I can feel this year wasn't a complete waste of time. Less hidden geniuses out there than you'd think.

Anyway, this was a good way to close out a year of panning for good free rap.

----

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Thu Nov-15-12 11:36 AM

2. "You had me at "indie rock""
In response to Reply # 0

lol

stylez dainty
6741 posts
Thu Nov-15-12 11:41 AM

4. "I know it's a dumb phrase, but people know what it means."
In response to Reply # 2

Maybe not so accurate. This is very much a sampled sound. Not saying it's all sampled, but it's really chopped up and rearranged.

And I didn't want to say Pitchfork wet dream, which was one of my first thoughts, but too much baggage with that term. ANd they'll probably rate it low for all I know.

----

Lobby The Lesson topic #2756240 Previous topic | Next topic