Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13499792

Subject: "Tyler Perry concerned about AI, while using AI.. halts $800M expansion " Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79784 posts
Fri Feb-23-24 08:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tyler Perry concerned about AI, while using AI.. halts $800M expansion "
Fri Feb-23-24 08:19 PM by legsdiamond

He’s using AI and realizing he doesn’t need more studio space and manpower. All while trying to sound sympathetic.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/tyler-perry-studio-expansion-openai-sora-concerns-1235920007/#article-comments

Tyler Perry‘s planned $800 million studio expansion in Atlanta has been put on the back burner due to his growing concerns over developments in artificial intelligence.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter published on Thursday, Perry expressed a need for the industry to get ahead of AI’s potential impact, saying, “There’s got to be some sort of regulations in order to protect us. If not, I just don’t see how we survive.”

He went on to specifically cite OpenAI‘s text-to-video tool Sora as the impetus for the expansion stoppage. “I have been watching AI very closely and watching the advancements very closely. I was in the middle of, and have been planning for the last four years, about an $800 million expansion at the studio, which would’ve increased the backlot a tremendous size, we were adding 12 more soundstages. All of that is currently and indefinitely on hold because of Sora and what I’m seeing.”

Perry clarified that he’s not against AI, sharing that he’s used the tech in two of his upcoming films, opting to age himself in post-production instead of in a makeup chair.

While he acknowledged the potential of AI to assist in filmmaking, allowing him to create sets with text instead of by traveling, he fears for the jobs that could be lost to automation. “It makes me worry so much about all of the people in the business. Because as I was looking at it, I immediately started thinking of everyone in the industry who would be affected by this, including actors and grip and electric and transportation and sound and editors, and looking at this, I’m thinking this will touch every corner of our industry,” he said.

Perry added that he hopes the value of human workers isn’t lost in the shuffle. “I just hope that as people are embracing this technology and as companies are moving to reduce costs and save the bottom line, that there’ll be some sort of thought and some sort of compassion for humanity and the people that have worked in this industry and built careers and lives, that there’s some sort of thought for them.”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If only he had taken time to write or get help writing
Feb 25th 2024
the man realizes he doesn't need more space or people
Feb 25th 2024
right
Feb 26th 2024
But that would take away his ‘but he supplies so many jobs for us’
Feb 26th 2024
      he’s trying to play both sides
Feb 26th 2024
You said what I came here to say.
Feb 26th 2024
      Kelly naked in that joint?
Feb 26th 2024
           lol
Feb 26th 2024
           There's a scene but no not really
Feb 28th 2024
                it was beyond bad
Feb 29th 2024
                     but I have to admit, Kelly is fine as hell
Mar 01st 2024
Blame the man for being hesistant to invest almost a billion dollars...
Feb 26th 2024
Then he doesn't need to pretend to care about the work lost.
Feb 26th 2024
yeah, I’m not blaming him, just pointing out the obvious
Feb 26th 2024
That's not just how it is going to work.
Feb 26th 2024
Get excited about being replaced!!!
Feb 27th 2024
... none of that's really my point, though.
Feb 27th 2024
      This is the either or you set up.
Feb 28th 2024
           "Machinery, gifted with the wonderful power of shortening...
Mar 01st 2024
was he going to be the only filmmaker using this expanded studio?
Feb 29th 2024
It's AI. It's not an earthquake or a hurricane.
Feb 26th 2024
It's technology. They are all going to use it. It's as inevitable as...
Feb 26th 2024
      It's not SkyNet. No one is forcing Perry to use it
Feb 28th 2024
           Bro you can't be the only record label to skip streaming when everyone
Feb 28th 2024
                it sounds like he used AI and realized he can save a shit ton of money
Mar 01st 2024
                     That's litrerally what everyone in the entire industry is doing
Mar 01st 2024
I was definitely about to buy a new bugatti
Mar 02nd 2024
tyler perry doesn't need AI to not pay people
Feb 27th 2024
Tis true.
Mar 01st 2024

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13872 posts
Sun Feb-25-24 03:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If only he had taken time to write or get help writing "
In response to Reply # 0

A solid movie, he would not be so spooked.

legsdiamond
79784 posts
Sun Feb-25-24 04:43 PM

2. "the man realizes he doesn't need more space or people"
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4553 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 08:58 AM

4. "right"
In response to Reply # 2

he doesn't seem to care about making a quality product
just one that people will buy

3CardMolly
13872 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 12:44 PM

7. "But that would take away his ‘but he supplies so many jobs for us’ "
In response to Reply # 2

Bargaining chip as a viable filmmaker to the Black community.

legsdiamond
79784 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 01:36 PM

9. "he’s trying to play both sides"
In response to Reply # 7

man has taken advantage of AI in post production (which is funny when you think about the Atlanta episode) yet he is concerned about people losing their gigs.

This man knows how to to make films on the cheap for the biggest ROI. He will definitely keep using AI if it brings down production charges.

I don’t blame him.

Diegonite
Member since Dec 31st 2004
2259 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 12:19 AM

3. "You said what I came here to say."
In response to Reply # 1

Mea Culpa had SO MUCH potential (from a writing standpoint, bc the plot was pretty used), and he spent all his money on getting his stars to get naked.

Le sigh

Buy my pictures! www.NiftyPrints.com

Twitter: The_Niftian

legsdiamond
79784 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 09:12 AM

5. "Kelly naked in that joint? "
In response to Reply # 3

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 01:24 PM

8. "lol"
In response to Reply # 5

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

makaveli
Charter member
16321 posts
Wed Feb-28-24 06:40 PM

21. "There's a scene but no not really"
In response to Reply # 5

This movie is soooo bad.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

legsdiamond
79784 posts
Thu Feb-29-24 11:18 PM

23. "it was beyond bad"
In response to Reply # 21

legsdiamond
79784 posts
Fri Mar-01-24 10:17 AM

26. "but I have to admit, Kelly is fine as hell"
In response to Reply # 23

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49488 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 12:16 PM

6. "Blame the man for being hesistant to invest almost a billion dollars..."
In response to Reply # 0

in a studio expansion that might be rendered obsolete in a couple of years?

AI's potential is both exciting and scary. It can be both.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86676 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 02:42 PM

10. "Then he doesn't need to pretend to care about the work lost."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Feb-26-24 02:43 PM by Frank Longo

You can't come out and say "oh, if only there was something we could do to keep workers employed!" when you told the city you were investing 800 million in a studio that would bring countless new jobs and you're halting it because you'd rather use AI than pay builders, painters, artists, construction workers, crews, managers, etc. Or rather, you *can* say that-- you just can't be surprised when people point out that it's bullshit.

He's allowed to do whatever he wants with his money. He just doesn't need to include all the stuff where he pretends to care. Because there will *always* be a desire for art made by human beings for human beings, and Tyler could choose to invest in that in order to encourage human-made art and provide gainful employment for countless workers in Atlanta... but he'd just rather use AI so he doesn't have to pay people. So he should just say that.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

legsdiamond
79784 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 05:00 PM

12. "yeah, I’m not blaming him, just pointing out the obvious"
In response to Reply # 10

anytime a boss acts like they care about the workers they will no longer have to pay it shouldn’t be celebrated like its a win for the regular joe.

He crunched the numbers.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49488 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 07:20 PM

14. "That's not just how it is going to work. "

Listen all the Unions are right in that there needs to be protections put into place because of AI. Like TP says, there needs to be regulation put into place by our government to protect creatives.

And the reason we need the protections in place because the technology is inevitable. It is here (or almost here). It is going to impact how every creative and studio is going to work.

So it's naive to think that AI is something he can ignore and just continuing business as usual.

To put another way, if he tried to ignore AI and continue business as usual, he probably wouldn't remain in business. It's like being mad at someone for not wanting to invest in a CD manufacturing plant in 2002 after napster has taken off.

Like when all the other studios are using AI/CGI for locations and SFX, you want TP, the independent who has poured so much of his own money to build a $250M studio in ATL, to be the hold out and not use the AI tools available to everyone else's use.

Man said his payroll in 2022 was 154M. I mean name an individual who employs more people in entertainment in Atlanta? Heck, or even in Hollywood?

Look I know you are a writer and MAYBE you should be concerned about AI taking gigs from you (and in my mind that's a huge maybe because I do believe AI writing will never replace human writing) but I also think you as a writer should be excited about the ability to use AI Tools to make your works come to life without all the financial barriers currently in filmmaking. I am dying to get my hands on some of these tools.

>You can't come out and say "oh, if only there was something
>we could do to keep workers employed!" when you told the city
>you were investing 800 million in a studio that would bring
>countless new jobs and you're halting it because you'd rather
>use AI than pay builders, painters, artists, construction
>workers, crews, managers, etc. Or rather, you *can* say that--
>you just can't be surprised when people point out that it's
>bullshit.
>
>He's allowed to do whatever he wants with his money. He just
>doesn't need to include all the stuff where he pretends to
>care. Because there will *always* be a desire for art made by
>human beings for human beings, and Tyler could choose to
>invest in that in order to encourage human-made art and
>provide gainful employment for countless workers in Atlanta...
>but he'd just rather use AI so he doesn't have to pay people.
>So he should just say that.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

legsdiamond
79784 posts
Tue Feb-27-24 11:25 AM

16. "Get excited about being replaced!!! "
In response to Reply # 14

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86676 posts
Tue Feb-27-24 08:23 PM

17. "... none of that's really my point, though."
In response to Reply # 14

My point isn't "Tyler should ignore AI." He can do whatever he wants, as I said. It's the hypocrisy. You can't say "oh, these poor workers!" while racing to replace their jobs with AI as quickly as possible without getting called out. It's just another example of billionaires trying to pretend to be "for the people" publicly while doing classic billionaire "fuck the people" shit, lol.

I've yet to see an AI-generated script that comes close to feeling like authentic human emotion or humor, so I'm not worried about being truly replaced-- and in the same way that live music continues to grow year over year as people stuck in front of screens crave authentic human experience, I firmly believe movies with real actors and real sets and real human-written scripts will continue to have a place in the industry, even once AI-generated scripts are able to handle things like cheap DTV fare or those Asylum creature features. (I've also no doubt studios will keep playing with it and trying to replace people where they can, but I think the bulk of those efforts are going to be... really bad, lol.)

I'm sure there are AI tools that can prove useful to writers-- one writer I know is interested in using AI to do read-throughs of his drafts, which I think is an interesting idea-- but for now, I'd be far too concerned about inadvertent plagiarism to use AI for anything in my actual scripts.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49488 posts
Wed Feb-28-24 05:26 PM

20. "This is the either or you set up. "
In response to Reply # 17

"Tyler could choose to invest in that in order to encourage human-made art and provide gainful employment for countless workers in Atlanta... but he'd just rather use AI so he doesn't have to pay people. So he should just say that."

That's a false choice. It's not either use AI or hire actual humans when there is also the option of using AI to increase your abilities to make more possibilities in shows and movies.

It's crazy to me to say that all he wants to do is find a way to not have to pay people when, to date, he's paid more people in ATL in TV & Film then anyone else in the world and the history of entertainment.

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Fri Mar-01-24 08:14 AM

24. ""Machinery, gifted with the wonderful power of shortening..."
In response to Reply # 20

... and fructifying human labor, we behold starving and overworking it. All our invention and progress seems to result in endowing material forces with intellectual life, and in stultifying human life into a material force."

--Marx, "Speech at the Anniversary of the People's Paper" 1856

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35289 posts
Thu Feb-29-24 11:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "was he going to be the only filmmaker using this expanded studio?"

because if he needs other people to rent access to the facilities to be viable, he has a legit point. when clouds rain milk, selling cows is a rough gig.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44729 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 03:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "It's AI. It's not an earthquake or a hurricane."
In response to Reply # 6

It's something that studios can use, they're not being forced to use it. Perry could spend the $800 million on the studio space, he's just choosing not to use it because he doesn't want to spend the money.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49488 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 06:54 PM

13. "It's technology. They are all going to use it. It's as inevitable as..."
In response to Reply # 11

dealing with earthquakes or hurricanes.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44729 posts
Wed Feb-28-24 04:05 PM

18. "It's not SkyNet. No one is forcing Perry to use it"
In response to Reply # 13

It's one thing for writers and actors to be prepared about it's use. But Perry is also the studio: **he** decides if his studio spends the money on the expansion or uses it. He wants potentially to save money and not deal with unions? That's on him. But he doesn't get to "Woe is me!" about the job opportunities that he's NOT providing anymore.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49488 posts
Wed Feb-28-24 05:22 PM

19. "Bro you can't be the only record label to skip streaming when everyone"
In response to Reply # 18

else is doing it.

That's how technology and business work.

It's crazy to me that cats who grew up on napster have all of a sudden turned into technophobes.

legsdiamond
79784 posts
Fri Mar-01-24 09:09 AM

25. "it sounds like he used AI and realized he can save a shit ton of money"
In response to Reply # 19

but he wants to appear sympathetic while doing it.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49488 posts
Fri Mar-01-24 11:26 AM

27. "That's litrerally what everyone in the entire industry is doing"
In response to Reply # 25

From studios to individual filmmakers. You have to do it or you may be beate

It's crabs in a barrel to me to single out the one black man who is doing that assessment who has a proven track record of investing his own money and given negroes a ton of jobs.

I don't even like TP like that but give the brother a break.

>but he wants to appear sympathetic while doing it.
>
>

Rjcc
Charter member
94997 posts
Sat Mar-02-24 02:22 PM

29. "I was definitely about to buy a new bugatti"
In response to Reply # 6

but then I saw AI

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Rjcc
Charter member
94997 posts
Tue Feb-27-24 11:23 AM

15. "tyler perry doesn't need AI to not pay people"
In response to Reply # 0

this is a meaningful statement about AI and also about tyler perry

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

3CardMolly
13872 posts
Fri Mar-01-24 07:41 PM

28. "Tis true."
In response to Reply # 15

Lobby General Discussion topic #13499792 Previous topic | Next topic