Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13497301

Subject: "why do Iowa or New Hampshire results matter?" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79755 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"why do Iowa or New Hampshire results matter?"

its early in the game and folks are like “if they don’t win NH, its over!!!”

if I was a candidate I wouldn’t give a shit about Iowa or NH. Especially if I’m a Black candidate.

It always amazed me how Corey and Kamala didn’t make it to South Carolina. I get the political play of dipping in order to get a cabinet position but if I’m serious about becoming President I’m not dipping out until a state I think I can win tells me to sit my ass down.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Momentum. It's like why you don't want to fall 12 points behind in the
Jan 17th 2024
Would it be hard for Haley to make up ground? Prolly
Jan 17th 2024
      I think she wanted to Obama and not Jesse.
Jan 17th 2024
           Jesse won 5 primaries tho
Jan 18th 2024
It allows the White & Rural to put a thumb on the scale
Jan 17th 2024
This is what I believe.
Jan 17th 2024
RE: why do Iowa or New Hampshire results matter?
Jan 17th 2024
that’s what trips me out. Why go all in on Iowa?
Jan 18th 2024
      Iowa and NH are states where traditional retail politics still shine.
Jan 18th 2024
yeah, for Dems you gotta be able to survive until SC
Jan 18th 2024
I think he did. And they moved it up, it's the first week of Feb
Jan 18th 2024
Where voters there helped save our asses
Jan 18th 2024
      saved from what? Bernie? He wasn’t winning any southern states
Jan 18th 2024
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Jan 19th 2024

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49471 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 01:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Momentum. It's like why you don't want to fall 12 points behind in the "
In response to Reply # 0

opening minutes of a basketball game. Hard to make up. Especially in a crowded field.

Remember Obama won Iowa which up until that point I don't know if the establishment took him serious.

Glad Biden and the Dems agreed how dumb it was for our party to start with Iowa and do away with it. I think it should always rotate because the toss up states or the states most representative of the electorate.

And the only reason Kam dipped before SC is because her organization fell apart and ran out of money.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79755 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 02:40 PM

4. "Would it be hard for Haley to make up ground? Prolly"
In response to Reply # 1

but at the same time, I would be like “Fuck Iowa and fuck NH and go hard at a larger state where I could even things out

Just seems like those states have low counts so hearing “its over if you don’t win” seems foolish

and Kamala. How do you burn through cash before getting to a Black ass state like South Carolina? Fuck Iowa, fuck NH, I save all my cash for South Carolina. That was the first state Joe won in 2020

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49471 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 03:06 PM

6. "I think she wanted to Obama and not Jesse. "
In response to Reply # 4

I think she thought, like Obama, if I can win in Iowa, I can win white people over everywhere.

I think a black person winning Black Ass South Carolina doesn't really impress the whites. Remember Jesse Jackson won South Carolina. I think they idea then was, of course he would win.

I think Biden pulled a reverse Obama by being the white President who won on the strength of black people gave him the appearance of being the great uniter.

>but at the same time, I would be like “Fuck Iowa and fuck
>NH and go hard at a larger state where I could even things out
>
>
>Just seems like those states have low counts so hearing “its
>over if you don’t win” seems foolish
>
>and Kamala. How do you burn through cash before getting to a
>Black ass state like South Carolina? Fuck Iowa, fuck NH, I
>save all my cash for South Carolina. That was the first state
>Joe won in 2020
>
>

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79755 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 12:22 PM

12. "Jesse won 5 primaries tho"
In response to Reply # 6

I don’t think Kamala or Corey had a realistic chance to win but you can at least stack a few wins instead of burning it all on Iowa.

But I also think Joe struggles if Kamala and Corey waited until after SC.

also, regarding Haley, I totally forgot SC is her home state and word is Trump has that locked up. So I kinda see why NH matters for her momentum.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 01:59 PM

2. "It allows the White & Rural to put a thumb on the scale"
In response to Reply # 0

that way they have outsized influence over the dark and urban that represent the true majority of the nation.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

legsdiamond
79755 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 02:37 PM

3. "This is what I believe. "
In response to Reply # 2

its weird af. I do know the Dems split delegates and GOP is winner takes all but its also not that steep of a hill is it?

I think its just media talk

JayEmm
Member since Feb 06th 2004
3301 posts
Wed Jan-17-24 02:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: why do Iowa or New Hampshire results matter?"
In response to Reply # 0

>It always amazed me how Corey and Kamala didn’t make it to
>South Carolina. I get the political play of dipping in order
>to get a cabinet position but if I’m serious about becoming
>President I’m not dipping out until a state I think I can
>win tells me to sit my ass down.

Campaigns operate on fundraising and Kamala's financial predicament was in a dire situation limping into Iowa. She increased the number of paid staffers in the state from 65 to 131 and launched an "all in on Iowa" strategy. She essentially needed a top-three finish to continue the campaign forward.

A team that was already struggling to raise funds was completely doomed after the poor result.

legsdiamond
79755 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 08:26 AM

8. "that’s what trips me out. Why go all in on Iowa? "
In response to Reply # 5

fuck them children of the corn ass niggas. I’m sending flyers and a dub to those first 2 states.

75% my resources would be on the South and states with large black populations in urban areas if I was Kamala or Corey.

JayEmm
Member since Feb 06th 2004
3301 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 10:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Iowa and NH are states where traditional retail politics still shine."
In response to Reply # 8

That's the belief.

They allow lesser known candidates to prove themselves with grassroots organizing ability. The caucus method itself is especially arcane and outmoded, but a poor Iowa performance still means fewer campaign donations, fewer endorsements, and fewer media outlets paying attention. That makes it awfully difficult for a candidate to stay in the race.

While true that Iowa's prominence is nothing more than irrelevant tradition at this point, so much of politics still remain based in the formula of "x happened y times, therefore z".

nonaime
Charter member
3117 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 06:06 AM

7. "yeah, for Dems you gotta be able to survive until SC"
In response to Reply # 0

>It always amazed me how Corey and Kamala didn’t make it to
>South Carolina. I get the political play of dipping in order
>to get a cabinet position but if I’m serious about becoming
>President I’m not dipping out until a state I think I can
>win tells me to sit my ass down.

Didn't Joe make a plea to bump up SC in the primary races?

~~~~~~~~
A bad Samaritan averaging above average men (c) DOOM

Teknontheou
Charter member
32710 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 08:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I think he did. And they moved it up, it's the first week of Feb"
In response to Reply # 7

now.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32100 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 10:39 AM

11. "Where voters there helped save our asses "
In response to Reply # 7

We owe a debt of gratitude to clyburn and every black dem voter in that state.

legsdiamond
79755 posts
Thu Jan-18-24 03:06 PM

13. "saved from what? Bernie? He wasn’t winning any southern states"
In response to Reply # 11

Joe got the Black vote because of Obama.

soulfunk
Charter member
11010 posts
Fri Jan-19-24 03:27 PM

14. "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"
In response to Reply # 0

Money. Simple as that. If you don't win the early primaries, donations dry up and it becomes unsustainable to win other primaries, and at a certain point the leading candidates just crush you.

The early primaries SHOULDN'T matter as much. But deserve ain't got nothin to do with it. And because they do matter, those states get to set the table for the election platforms for candidates. Not that that really matters for the GOP, because they don't care if someone completely shifts perspective on issues as the election progresses.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13497301 Previous topic | Next topic