Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13340626

Subject: ""Supreme" Court: Cheating is Cool w/us (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24491 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
""Supreme" Court: Cheating is Cool w/us (link)"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/us/politics/supreme-court-gerrymandering.html?action=click&module=Top+Stories&pgtype=Homepage

This is a big one. Very, very big one.

This country fucking sucks.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yeah, this is not cool
Jun 27th 2019
They're shamelessly partisan and ruining the country.
Jun 27th 2019
      feels like dems have to play the gop game
Jun 27th 2019
           ive been saying this forever.
Jun 27th 2019
           i was hesitant before but yeah time to play by their rules
Jun 27th 2019
           Oh, don't think we're not.
Jun 27th 2019
                im saying in the states the dems get slight control over
Jun 27th 2019
                But, they're not ...
Jun 27th 2019
prez, senate, house. we gotta take them all in 2020.
Jun 27th 2019
Nah
Jun 27th 2019
      only 30% of americans support reparations.
Jun 27th 2019
      54% of whites say black people who can’t get ahead are
Jun 27th 2019
      It's become increasingly clear that 2000 was THE big election
Jun 27th 2019
           True
Jun 27th 2019
           Oh no question.
Jun 27th 2019
           wow
Jul 01st 2019
           I really think every election matters
Jul 01st 2019
That shit confused me
Jun 27th 2019
Not sure ?
Jun 27th 2019
When they go low... FOH
Jun 27th 2019
i wish. we got a soft ass party now tho.
Jun 27th 2019
YUP! I truly believe they were more worried about being thought of as...
Jun 27th 2019
10-1 says there won't be a push to prohibit it in state constitutions. n...
Jun 27th 2019
If you live in a state with a GOP trifecta after 2020 . . .
Jun 27th 2019
people dont realize that fucking up in *one* election
Jun 27th 2019
      This is why the whole acceleration argument in 2016 was so maddening
Jun 27th 2019
           not to mention packed conservative majority courts
Jun 27th 2019
Guess which race gets the benefit
Jun 27th 2019
This feels similar to Citizens United to me (maybe worse)
Jun 27th 2019
yep
Jun 27th 2019
its worse.
Jun 27th 2019
      the nice thing is this decision works hand in hand w/Citizens United
Jun 27th 2019
           and add in general voter suppression.
Jun 27th 2019
           yep. without Citizens United, the $ isn't there
Jun 27th 2019
No Limit soldiers
Jun 27th 2019
RE: "Supreme" Court: Cheating is Cool w/us (link)
Jun 27th 2019
dems gonna keep playing this shit like its fair lol.
Jul 01st 2019

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16418 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "yeah, this is not cool"
In response to Reply # 0

not even sure what theyre suggesting. "the court is not the one to do anything about this, even though we recognize it is not right"

?????

Brew
24491 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "They're shamelessly partisan and ruining the country."
In response to Reply # 1

They don't have to hide it anymore. Not even trying really.

mista k5
16418 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "feels like dems have to play the gop game"
In response to Reply # 2

be proportionally shameful in redistricting where they can. the gop will force action immediately.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "ive been saying this forever."
In response to Reply # 6

if dems did what repubs do to the same (or greater) extent...then that shit would be outlawed tomorrow.

could you imagine if dems gerrmandered ny, cali, illinois, etc? itd be a permanent house majority.

the problem is...repubs (the politicians and voters) are shameless about employing any measure for partisan purposes that make it more likely for them to win elections. and dems moralize and stack new standards on themselves that unilaterally disarm them and actually make it harder for them to win elections.

like dems want fair redistricting commissions/laws, campaign finance restrictions, truthful campaign ads, etc but theyre the only side that holds their politicians/candidates to those standards (before they even gain power). its the morally right thing to do...but it also handcuffs you when youre running against a party that has no problem drawing districts that guarantee their wins, accepting unfettered money from any source possible, saying anything regardless of if its even close to the truth, etc.

mista k5
16418 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:02 PM

12. "i was hesitant before but yeah time to play by their rules"
In response to Reply # 9

be strategic with it i guess. there may be some issues where it would not be good for dems to do the same but in things that would force the gop to act to ban such things then go all out.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:59 AM

11. "Oh, don't think we're not."
In response to Reply # 6

>be proportionally shameful in redistricting where they can.

The reason Dems are more concerned about it these days is that the Republicans hold so much of the state-level power. And the related fact Democrats are more concentrated to a small number of states.

But there are blatant examples of gerrymandering in Dems' favor in California, NY State, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts.

The Republicans will always get more out of it, though, because they'll always control more states.

mista k5
16418 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:12 PM

14. "im saying in the states the dems get slight control over"
In response to Reply # 11

go as crazy as you can redistricting. include 200 miles of rural area into major cities.

Bumaye
Member since Jul 28th 2005
800 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 01:16 PM

27. "But, they're not ..."
In response to Reply # 11

I mean, Dems definitely gerrymander also, but they're neither as shameless nor as sophisticated. And certainly the republicans have more options (states), but the tech they've employed (redrawing software like Maptitude, although I bet dems used it too) is better, the campaign strategies they ran in advance with their eyes on gerrymandering were dirtier (operation REDMAP in 2010), and the financing of their efforts is stronger (thanks, Citizens United).

I could be wrong, but California and Pennsylvania also seem like bad examples, since California has had a redistricting commission since the Governator and PA just had their Supreme Court overrule Republican gerrymanders last year. Those states seem to lean blue now off social geographic sorting.

Dems have done some dirty politics gerrymanders; Repubs are on some espionage-level shit with it.

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "prez, senate, house. we gotta take them all in 2020."
In response to Reply # 0

then pass the hr1 election reform bill that mcconnell is refusing to bring up in the senate. it outlaws gerrymandering along with other necessary measures to ensure fair elections.

i dont wanna hear shit about anyone not voting democrat across the board in 2020. idgaf who the candidate is. you sit out that election...you lose your political power for *decades*.

state legislatures and judgeships are obviously key too. but when we turnout to vote at the top level...those lower dominoes tend to fall in place.

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5210 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:53 AM

8. "Nah"
In response to Reply # 3

Political power was lost in 2000 when Dems did nothing after Bush purged voter rolls and now Pelosi will not impeach Trump as they get mad at the base over talk about reparations.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/450549-senate-democrats-wish-talk-on-reparations-would-go-away

---------------------------
Signature

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:42 PM

23. "only 30% of americans support reparations."
In response to Reply # 8

its def some progressive/black bubble shit.

and the overwhelming majority of black voters live in either the south (where their votes are near meaningless) or packed into a handful of states that only get 2 senate seats a piece.

running on that is a good way to cough up every moderate district and white majority state outside the northeast and west coast. say goodbye to the rust belt and any chance of dems turning georgia and the sun belt blue.

theres a reason why people like ann coulter are pushing dems to get behind reparations.

shit the only thing keeping democrats afloat and competitive nationally now is running on broadly popular policies and *that* hasnt even worked out that well.

if i was a senate candidate who had to win an entire state...id tell niggas to chill on that shit too.

Lurkmode
5210 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 02:26 PM

30. "54% of whites say black people who can’t get ahead are "
In response to Reply # 23

mostly responsible for their own condition
than racial discrimination.

No surprise a majority of "Americans" would come out against reparations.

>its def some progressive/black bubble shit.
>

Only to a white racist or Ruckus.

>and the overwhelming majority of black voters live in either
>the south (where their votes are near meaningless) or packed
>into a handful of states that only get 2 senate seats a
>piece.
>

Can't wait on a overwhelming majority of black voters in this country to get things accomplished.

>running on that is a good way to cough up every moderate
>district and white majority state outside the northeast and
>west coast. say goodbye to the rust belt and any chance of
>dems turning georgia and the sun belt blue.
>

You mean the rust belt that voted for Trump and Georgia that went for the white governor. Dems might lose them if they talk about reparations.

>theres a reason why people like ann coulter are pushing Dems
>to get behind reparations.
>

Good let Coulter push some more and use her words against Republicans the way they use Cruz and Candance against Democrats.

>shit the only thing keeping democrats afloat and competitive
>nationally now is running on broadly popular policies and
>*that* hasn't even worked out that well.
>

That, Black women and others putting in work. It probably would work out better if the Dem leaders stopped working against the base.

>if i was a senate candidate who had to win an entire
>state...id tell niggas to chill on that shit too.

The temporary fix is a road to nowhere, sacrificing the base isn't worth it.

Signature

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 03:49 PM

32. "It's become increasingly clear that 2000 was THE big election"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu Jun-27-19 03:56 PM by Marauder21

for most of our lifetimes.

And who knows, maybe if 9/11 happens with Gore in the White House, he gets all of the blame that escaped W, because we know we weren't going to have a big bipartisan Congressional God Bless America singalong with a Democrat in the White House. Could've led to President Cheney in 2004 or whatever.

But I don't think Gore ever invades Iraq. I don't think the "war on terror" reaches anywhere near the same level. No Roberts on the Supreme Court (who knows if O'Connor ever steps down, though.) Another 4 years (at least) of picking judges. Someone who actually acknowledged the threat of climate change.

That was it.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Lurkmode
5210 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 04:12 PM

33. "True"
In response to Reply # 32

>for most of our lifetimes.
>
>And who knows, maybe if 9/11 happens with Gore in the White
>House, he gets all of the blame that escaped W, because we
>know we weren't going to have a big bipartisan Congressional
>God Bless America singalong with a Democrat in the White
>House. Could've led to President Cheney in 2004 or whatever.
>
>But I don't think Gore ever invades Iraq. I don't think the
>"war on terror" reaches anywhere near the same level. No
>Roberts on the Supreme Court (who knows if O'Connor ever steps
>down, though.) Another 4 years (at least) of picking judges.
>Someone who actually acknowledged the threat of climate
>change.
>
>That was it.

^^^^^^^ I agree.

Signature

Brew
24491 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 09:54 PM

34. "Oh no question."

EAS
Charter member
1704 posts
Mon Jul-01-19 08:51 AM

35. "wow"

interesting point

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jul-01-19 12:16 PM

37. "I really think every election matters"

If we learned anything from the Obama years and the aftermath, it's that conservatives will ruin things any chance they get. And I can't imagine a universe in which Gore would have won reelection.

2004 was damn close (closer in electoral terms than 2016), and Kerry would have had the same opportunity to replace O'Connor and Rehnquist.

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:34 AM

4. "That shit confused me"
In response to Reply # 0

Its obvious, by saying they're trying to avoid being political, the decision was strictly political.

I not sure how this will affect the future of redistricting, but I feel its going to be bad.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

Lurkmode
5210 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:44 AM

5. "Not sure ?"
In response to Reply # 4

"In a stinging rebuttal, Justice Elena Kagan wrote: "For the first time ever, this court refuses to remedy a constitutional violation because it thinks the task beyond judicial capabilities."

"In giving such gerrymanders a pass from judicial review, the majority goes tragically wrong," she added."

Signature

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79825 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:52 AM

7. "When they go low... FOH"
In response to Reply # 0

Time to get dirty

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:13 PM

15. "i wish. we got a soft ass party now tho."
In response to Reply # 7

part of the reason dems controlled the house for 50 years straight is because some nasty ass foot soldiers willing to do the dirty work to gain/retain power.

people like bill clinton were surrounded by killers and calculators who waged pr wars against repubs, investigators, right wing press, etc.

now we got people who will abandon you if you arent a pristine social progressive or you took some money guy whose father is a lawyer for a wall street or fossil fuel corp.

on top of all of the structural disadvantages being piled on us...its hard to win when you constantly tilt the balance of power/viability against yourself too.

Creole
Charter member
15427 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 02:05 PM

29. "YUP! I truly believe they were more worried about being thought of as..."
In response to Reply # 7

>RE: When they go low... FOH

the ANGRY Black folks who inhabited the White House than they were with being ANGRY Black folks who turned the White House out.

Oh well... No mulligans!

Sadly, they were good for helping others realize their potential and inspiring people to be their very best. Otherwise, I am not certain that 8 years will be remembered for more than that.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22293 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 11:59 AM

10. "10-1 says there won't be a push to prohibit it in state constitutions. n..."
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:05 PM

13. "If you live in a state with a GOP trifecta after 2020 . . . "
In response to Reply # 0

I have no idea what to tell you. Because there's a decent chance you'll never even have the chance to erase that in your lifetime

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:18 PM

17. "people dont realize that fucking up in *one* election"
In response to Reply # 13

can render you politically irrelevant for a decade (at least).

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:22 PM

18. "This is why the whole acceleration argument in 2016 was so maddening"
In response to Reply # 17

The idea that after Trump, we'll elect a bunch of progressives to push through great legislation that benefits everyone never took the courts into account. It's going to be an uphill battle just getting people elected thanks to this shit.

------

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:28 PM

20. "not to mention packed conservative majority courts "
In response to Reply # 18

can just invalidate major parts (or whole laws) that dems/progressives enact (the same way they are doing to the voting rights act, civil rights act, etc).

'elections have consequences'.

handle
Charter member
18968 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:14 PM

16. "Guess which race gets the benefit"
In response to Reply # 0

Republicans are simply racist first.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5616 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:28 PM

19. "This feels similar to Citizens United to me (maybe worse)"
In response to Reply # 0

it's one of those things we all realize is terrible and will have a horrible impact on our country moving forward, but it's really hard to imagine how terrible the impact will end up being. You get an idea from the dissenting opinion on this one though.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

mista k5
16418 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:30 PM

21. "yep"
In response to Reply # 19

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:52 PM

24. "its worse."
In response to Reply # 19

citizens united was about influencing elections.

this is about the elections themselves. the supreme court basically greenlighted pre-determined election outcomes. politicians can pick their voters, not the other way around.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5616 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:55 PM

25. "the nice thing is this decision works hand in hand w/Citizens United"
In response to Reply # 24

so we're double fucked!

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Reeq
16347 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 01:07 PM

26. "and add in general voter suppression."
In response to Reply # 25

repubs are basically erasing the last 20 years of demographic change and (fair) electoral power transfer to cities/suburbs.

Bumaye
Member since Jul 28th 2005
800 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 01:20 PM

28. "yep. without Citizens United, the $ isn't there "
In response to Reply # 25

to bankroll this mess in the first place. lotta folks really don't appreciate HOW sophisticated the GOP gerrymander effort was, and how it starts with the campaigns to guarantee that GOP would be able to dominate a far more sophisticated gerrymandering game after 2010.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79825 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 12:30 PM

22. "No Limit soldiers"
In response to Reply # 0

White folk will do anything to keep power

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

EAS
Charter member
1704 posts
Thu Jun-27-19 02:52 PM

31. "RE: "Supreme" Court: Cheating is Cool w/us (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

This really sucks. From national to local levels. I am still consistently voting 'D' because 'R' is too bat shit crazy...but hope for fairness and justice is really slipping away.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85115 posts
Mon Jul-01-19 11:38 AM

36. "dems gonna keep playing this shit like its fair lol."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Lobby General Discussion topic #13340626 Previous topic | Next topic