Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13339253

Subject: "Who's been keeping up with the US & China 5G War?" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 12:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Who's been keeping up with the US & China 5G War?"

5G explained: How it works, who it will impact, and when we'll have it

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/5g-explained-how-it-works-who-it-will-impact-and-when-well-have-it/

The future is wireless, and it's really fast. 5G data networks promise to usher in a new era of digital transformation powered by lightning-quick phones, enhanced virtual and augmented reality, the Internet of Things, and countless more technological wonders.

At least, that's what mobile carriers and device manufacturers would like us to believe. 5G represents the fifth generation of wireless data networks, and while some phones released this year might boast of being "5G enabled," devices with true 5G won't ship any time soon. Right now the nomenclature used for the technology is mostly marketing fuzz, and all four major mobile carriers in the U.S. are squabbling about the definition of "real" 5G.

In preparation for broad deployment, every major data carrier in the U.S. is actively marketing 5G. Verizon launched a campaign called 5G Home, an internet service that runs on Verizon's network. AT&T recently rolled out a campaign touting a data network the carrier calls "5G Evolution," a rebranding of LTE technology. Sprint promptly sued AT&T and claimed the carrier was misleading customers about what qualifies as 5G. T-Mobile enlisted physicist Michio Kaku to help the company promote their "5G for everyone" marketing campaign. (Kaku is also a CBS News contributor; he was not involved in this story.)

Trending News
Trump on War: "You'll Find Out"
Ortiz Shooting Motive
Alleged Cult Leader Guilty
Alaska Teen Murder
The economic potential of 5G is so significant President Trump tweeted, "I want 5G, and even 6G, technology in the United States as soon as possible. It is far more powerful, faster, and smarter than the current standard. American companies must step up their efforts, or get left behind."

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
I want 5G, and even 6G, technology in the United States as soon as possible. It is far more powerful, faster, and smarter than the current standard. American companies must step up their efforts, or get left behind. There is no reason that we should be lagging behind on.........

5G could be a truly revolutionary technology, said Future Today Institute founder and quantitative futurist Amy Webb. In the near future the tech will enable "city-scale networks and city-scale spatial computing. Not just the Internet of Things (IoT) as it relates to your office or home environment but a city where devices and sensors and all sorts of things are connected."

What is 5G?
The name "5G" is a broadcast transmission protocol devised by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), a global consortium of telecom groups; it refers to a spectrum of radio frequencies that carriers like Verizon and AT&T will use to transmit data. The radio signal transmits information at an extremely high frequency (EHF), or "millimeter wave," which allows for connections significantly better than current 4G networks.

The technology promises to transmit a high volume of data to mobile and IoT devices, like connected traffic lights. By some estimates, 5G wireless networks could deliver data at nearly 10 gigabits per second, several orders of magnitude faster than current 4G networks which peak at about 100 megabits per second.

"4G was a faster way to connect to the internet on the go," said Sanyogita Shamsunder, vice president of 5G Labs and Innovation at Verizon. "5G is not only higher throughputs and higher speeds but it fundamentally is a different way to construct the network to provide fast response times from the internet to the mobile end point, whatever it may be: a phone, a robot, an IoT device."

But with great speed comes great complexity. Because the millimeter wave used by 5G transfers information at short distances, more transmitters and base stations, signal repeaters, are required. This could result in prolonged deployment times and spotty coverage, or no coverage in rural areas. 5G waves are also more susceptible to atmospheric interference and weather conditions like rain.

Modern cell towers transmit 4G LTE signals over distances up to several miles, but 5G requires a dense concentration of smaller transmitters to cover the same relative area. Transmitters can be hidden in plain sight on utility poles, street lamps, and rooftops in urban areas. In rural areas there are fewer opportunities to distribute transmitters.

"Opportunities we see in rural markets are around using 5G, perhaps less for just raw speed, and more for these different IoT use cases, so being able to connect farms and farming equipment and sensors in these agriculture locations, so that you know farmers can get much more insight into how crops are doing and get much better yields out," said Samsung's Alok Shah, VP of Networks Strategy, Business Development & Marketing.

There are also security challenges associated with 5G. Chinese tech giant Huawei is one of the world's largest makers of 5G base stations and transmitters in the world, but its products are currently unavailable to American consumers because of sanctions placed on the company by the U.S. government. Huawei has long faced suspicions of espionage, which its founder and president, Ren Zhengfei, denied this week in an exclusive interview with "CBS This Morning" co-host Bianna Golodryga.

Suspicions about the company turned to actual charges in January, when the company, its CFO and a subsidiary were indicted on 23 counts ranging from money laundering and obstruction of justice to stealing trade secrets.

Virtual reality, augmented reality, and more
In spite of the challenges associated with the technology, there are plenty of reasons to be excited about 5G, said Verizon's Shamsunder. "When we built the 4G networks, we didn't know what was possible. We had video as one of the major use cases but very quickly we enabled industries, the ride hailing industry probably wouldn't exist if we didn't have cellphones today," she said.

Augmented reality and virtual reality are likely to gain traction quickly, said Shamsunder. Most contemporary headsets must be directly connected to a PC using USB 3.0 cables. If those headsets were connected to a 5G mobile network instead, the hardware could potentially be untethered, letting the consumer use VR and AR technology in their home, car or on a flight.

Several startup companies are experimenting with AR and VR technologies at the Verizon 5G Lab Alley, a coworking space in lower Manhattan. Evercoast is a volumetric capture software to build personalized holographic content. The system uses 16 high-definition cameras that capture images from 180 degrees to record real-time 3D scans. The captured images are then transferred to the cloud and a hologram is rendered almost instantly. After capturing the image, users can look at a glass display or through virtual reality goggles to see themselves in different outfits or settings. It's a truly futuristic use of 5G tech.

In the next five years, said Shamsunder, 5G could transform a broad spectrum of industries, including "shopping and education, first responders, public safety, perhaps even nurses and physical therapists."

What excites her most, though, are the innovations that have not yet been invented. "I don't know precisely what is coming," said Shamsunder, "but I know it's going to be wireless and it's going to be exciting."

First published on February 21, 2019 / 2:16 PM

© 2019 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is a real thing. Y'all need to be in the know
Jun 21st 2019
headlines, hysteria, & even the standards got out 2 far ahead
Jun 24th 2019
What are actual physical buildout limitations?
Jun 24th 2019
      RE: What are actual physical buildout limitations?
Jun 24th 2019
           I thought you had some additional infrastructure knowledge.
Jun 24th 2019
                i do but that sums it up, in so many words
Jun 24th 2019
                     Yeah that AT&T lie is crazy calling it 5G E (evolution)
Jun 25th 2019
                          DOD wants to prevent backdoors that allow spying on americans
Jun 25th 2019
I am not excited about 5G because what it means to rural america
Jun 24th 2019
^^ this is an actual problem that needs solving
Jun 24th 2019
      Man, if they pulled the plug on 3G too soon the consequences
Jun 25th 2019
      And to make it worst, the Telecomm lobby gets state governments to
Jun 25th 2019
           ...all while charging small "rural broadband fees" on your monthly
Jun 25th 2019

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 07:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is a real thing. Y'all need to be in the know"
In response to Reply # 0

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "headlines, hysteria, & even the standards got out 2 far ahead "
In response to Reply # 0

of the actual physical buildout limitations

gonna be interesting how it plays out, but it wont play out like that article describes

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 02:42 PM

3. "What are actual physical buildout limitations?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Jun-24-19 02:43 PM by Case_One

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: What are actual physical buildout limitations?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Because the millimeter wave used by 5G transfers information at short distances, more transmitters and base stations, signal repeaters, are required. This could result in prolonged deployment times and spotty coverage, or no coverage in rural areas. 5G waves are also more susceptible to atmospheric interference and weather conditions like rain.

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 03:06 PM

5. "I thought you had some additional infrastructure knowledge. "
In response to Reply # 4

This 5G war is no small matter. China is kicking our butt and our allies are not standing on the wrong side of history with us, they're proceeding with moving forward with Huawei. I've seen a lot of Erricson vehicles lately too working on Cell towers. They may be doing upgrades and remediations for the 5G network. This is not a joke.

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 05:06 PM

7. "i do but that sums it up, in so many words"
In response to Reply # 5

the only "5g war" is in the headlines and articles that need clicks.

huawei is not doing anything special, just cheaper. and their competitors are nokia, samsung, and ericcson- eqpt makers.. so
theres not even any angle where "china is kicking our butt". either way we are buying from overseas manufacturers.

to go a step further, the only reason theres even a 5g push at all, is cuz an industry needed a way to sell ppl new phones that otherwise had stopped getting replaced and have not significantly changed in the last 4-5 years

1st worldwide 5G launch was south korea and US (not in china, and not using huawei). but national deployment, especially in the US, will not be smooth. thats why at&t decided to just lie about it from the beginning, instead of actually upgrading the network

https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/05/from-u-s-to-south-korea-early-mobile-5g-is-only-inconsistently-fast/

>This 5G war is no small matter. China is kicking our butt and
>our allies are not standing on the wrong side of history with
>us, they're proceeding with moving forward with Huawei. I've
>seen a lot of Erricson vehicles lately too working on Cell
>towers. They may be doing upgrades and remediations for the 5G
>network. This is not a joke.
>
>
>.
>.
>
>“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted
>me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee
>Strobel, The Case for Christ

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 09:52 AM

9. "Yeah that AT&T lie is crazy calling it 5G E (evolution)"
In response to Reply # 7

DO you agree with the DOD's opinion of Huawei as being a China back company that will be able to use its 5g tech to spy on the Us and its allies? I know some folks in level potions in the DOD that that see Chinese made cell devices as a serious Cyber threat.

Now, I can agree with the fact that some info regarding the threat may be hyped, but on the other hand, can the US afford to take a passive approach on the matter?

Also, There is an issue with deploying 5G seeing how many cities still lack 4G. So, there will be a serious development and economic advantage for those cities that can roll 5G out in the next 10 yrs. The lack of 5G could create learning gaps and employment issues.

Riot
14614 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 05:37 PM

13. "DOD wants to prevent backdoors that allow spying on americans"
In response to Reply # 9

..while they intercept eqpt and install backdoors that they use to spy on americans.

china flipped out a few weeks back when some eqpt they ordered to be shipped direct by fedex made a odd pitstop thru cali or somethin

so yea the political games will continue. and china probably can/will spy & collect data thru huawei.

thats not whats slowing the US 5g deployment tho.
https://www.speedtest.net/ookla-5g-map

US is as big as korea, japan, and western EU combined, and we dont have heavyhanded infrastructure laws where at&t has the right to put a pole in your front yard like other countries, or even install 5G boxes on the existing poles without local govt hearings/zoning board approval/etc.
and thats not even getting into the complications of the technology iteself, like mentioned in the link in the earlier reply, where even when 5G mmwave is deployed, it is experiencing lots of gaps, blockage from street signs, trees, etc.
so yea despite whatever trump is tweeting about, 5G has a long way to go b4 being meaningful

>DO you agree with the DOD's opinion of Huawei as being a
>China back company that will be able to use its 5g tech to spy
>on the Us and its allies? I know some folks in level potions
>in the DOD that that see Chinese made cell devices as a
>serious Cyber threat.
>
>Now, I can agree with the fact that some info regarding the
>threat may be hyped, but on the other hand, can the US afford
>to take a passive approach on the matter?
>
>Also, There is an issue with deploying 5G seeing how many
>cities still lack 4G. So, there will be a serious development
>and economic advantage for those cities that can roll 5G out
>in the next 10 yrs. The lack of 5G could create learning gaps
>and employment issues.

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 03:12 PM

6. "I am not excited about 5G because what it means to rural america"
In response to Reply # 0

I go home to VA and we are hurting broadband internet wise. Have to use terrible satellite where I grew up. 5G will only make it worst.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Riot
14614 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 05:12 PM

8. "^^ this is an actual problem that needs solving"
In response to Reply # 6

but it doesnt make anyone any money, so enjoy the spotty 3G.
until they pull the plug on that

or yell at your congressman

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 09:56 AM

10. "Man, if they pulled the plug on 3G too soon the consequences "
In response to Reply # 8

could be devastating to rural local businesses and schools

There are HBCUs that don't even have reliable High-Speed Internet service.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49336 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 09:58 AM

11. "And to make it worst, the Telecomm lobby gets state governments to "
In response to Reply # 8

pass laws that prohibit local municipalities from offering broadband. SMH.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Riot
14614 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 04:04 PM

12. "...all while charging small "rural broadband fees" on your monthly "
In response to Reply # 11

bill

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Lobby General Discussion topic #13339253 Previous topic | Next topic