Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13338998

Subject: "Kamala has a "Working Class Black Man" Problem (The Root)" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 09:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Kamala has a "Working Class Black Man" Problem (The Root)"

https://www.theroot.com/does-kamala-harris-have-a-working-class-black-man-probl-1835424646

It didn’t seem to be that controversial of a statement given the data. Since the Donald Trump presidency; the Georgia governor’s race; the St. Louis mayoral race and others, a certain number of black men have been sneaking back into the Sunken Place voting booth. Whether it’s partisanship, misogyny, or vague notions of “electability,” research shows (pdf) some black men will find any excuse not to vote for a woman, even a black one.

So when the Beat DC Editor Tiffany Cross said “Kamala Harris has a working-class black man problem” on AM Joy back in February, it made perfect sense to me. Harris has been dogged by #ADOS (African Descendants of Slaves) claiming she’s an existential threat to blue-collar black men. Her critics have pushed the narrative that Harris spent her whole career as a prosecutor locking up black men in California. Even some of our own writers have called attention to these issues.

Luther Campbell formerly of 2 Live Crew wrote a whole op-ed in the Miami Times basically warning the brothers against a Harris candidacy. While #ADOS and Uncle Luke aren’t on the Sunday political talk shows, they do speak to and for a segment of black men who have voices, and more importantly, votes.

On that same show, I argued that Kamala Harris needed black male surrogates, similar to what rapper Killer Mike did for Bernie Sanders in 2016. Voices with credibility pushing for her with working-class black men in the crucial primary state of South Carolina. I noted that her husband, an affluent white man, probably wouldn’t be the best ambassador to talk to blue-collar brothers working the stock room at the Piggly Wiggly in Beaufort County. What was common sense campaign analysis to me was apparently a racist, sexist, flaming hot take to others; the push-back online, via text and phone was loud, intense and lasted for days. Harris’ supporters and staffers bristled at the idea that these kinds of identity conversations were legitimate.

Of course, both things could be true. Yes, some analysis of Sen. Harris is racist and sexist, but it could also be true that she may need the votes of some sexist or racist black men.

“There are some black men who, no matter what Kamala Harris does, will not support her. So in that instance, that’s their problem,” Cross noted when discussing the Harris campaign.

“However, there are black men who view the senator as the face of those who shunned them, who didn’t stand with them, who was part of the sect of society eager to lock them up. That’s the candidate’s issue to connect with them and convince them otherwise. If environmentalists didn’t think the senator supported addressing climate change, I’d say she needed a green validator to help connect. It’s the same here.”

Is there some silent majority of black men out there hating on Harris? I didn’t know for sure, but in group texts in suburban Charleston, over a sweaty post-pickup-game beer in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, and among black men I know, this question was being asked: Can a biracial, light-skinned black woman from California, married to a white Jewish man, win the votes of working-class black men in a state that’s never elected a black woman statewide? Perhaps more importantly, would she even need, too?

In the journey to answer this uncomfortable question, I discovered black men finding their place in 2020, what Kamala Harris’ actual challenges are, and most importantly, who holds the real black power in the most important primary of 2020.

“When 13 percent of us voted for Trump, we can’t be ignored,” said Antjuan Seawright a well-dressed Gen-Xer who’s consulted in South Carolina politics for years.

“Black women get all sensitive about it, in particular ,” he added. “Most of the traditional leadership roles here are still black men. She needs somebody who can confirm her credibility and her candidacy to the boys in the neighborhood barbershop and the gym and the spades table.”

Like many of the men I spoke to, Seawright was cautious; he didn’t want to offend black female political operatives in the state. Nevertheless, he insisted black men in South Carolina were an overlooked demographic by Harris; they can’t be ignored and when you look at the numbers you can see why.

In 2016, African Americans made up 61 percent of the South Carolina Democratic primary vote, according to a CNN exit poll. But break those numbers down by gender, and you see something truly historic.

Black Women: 37%

Black Men: 24%

White women: 21%

White men: 14%

Black men are more important than even white women in the South Carolina Democratic primary. They are the swing vote in a state where race drives primary voting. In 2016, nearly 370,000 South Carolinians voted in the Democratic primary. When you crunch the numbers from the exit poll to calculate the raw vote totals, the results are even more stark:

147,000 Black Women Voters

88,000 Black men

77,000 White Women

52,000 White men

Why does that matter so much to Sen. Harris’ chances in 2020? Publicly, every Democratic candidate will tell you that they want every vote, but the reality is you have to bring home your own people. Harris’ chances to be at the top or bottom of a ticket will hinge on her ability to turn out black voters. She can’t rely on running up the score with white men or liberal women, given that Biden, Warren and Sanders will probably survive until South Carolina, or even black men if Booker is in the race. Hillary Clinton won black women 89-11 and black men 82-18 in 2016, a 14-point swing in a primary race that was a foregone conclusion long before Jim Webb was bragging about his kills in Vietnam during debates. In other words, Harris cannot assume that winning over black women automatically translates into winning over black men. Many of the black men I spoke to in South Carolina were giving Harris the polite church clap, but weren’t necessarily ready to put bills in the collection plate.

“They like Kamala Harris and Cory Booker,” Seawright said. “Everybody loves Kamala, But there’s a difference between liking somebody and loving somebody. Forget about dating, do you want to marry them politically?”

All of the men I spoke to, and the men they spoke for, loved them some Kamala Harris, in theory. But whether they would vote for her or thought she could beat Trump was another issue.

“They like Kamala because she’s a black female,” state Rep. Terry Alexander said. He endorsed Sanders in 2016, and represents the I-95 “corridor of shame,” home to some of the poorest African-American schools in the country. According to him, Harris’ background, including her time as prosecutor, wasn’t hurting her with black men, it was something else.

“I don’t think we get that natural feeling from Kamala , even though she went to Howard. You don’t get that natural blackness; it doesn’t flow. You almost have to find it.”

Skeptical, I asked if he thought this lack of “natural” was just an excuse by some men to discount Harris because she’s a woman or because of her criminal justice record. Alexander was pretty clear that wasn’t the case

“She used to lock brothers up, she got a white husband and I don’t think those are as important to them as being natural,” he said. “They’d rather see somebody just be natural; they understand Kamala knows her job. Some of us had to go to jail, but that still doesn’t take away from them being natural and natural to the cause. Are you real or is this a political thing?” He asked rhetorically.

Jerusalem Demsas, South Carolina communications director for the Harris campaign, didn’t believe that Harris faced unique challenges with black men in South Carolina.

“I’ve not encountered black men who have this kind of skepticism about Harris,” she said. “We’re forcing voters to be pundits, we’re asking them questions about things that they don’t think about or believe.”

Demsas, who worked on Ben Jealous’ campaign to become Maryland’s governor, insisted there is no difference between Harris’ push to win black male voters in South Carolina and Jealous’ attempts to win black men in Maryland. Despite vast differences in education and employment of black men in those states.

“People aren’t watching MSNBC, they’re talking to their pastors and faith leaders and people in their community; they aren’t looking at electability or ideas that are outside the scope of their lived experience,” she said.

Since people aren’t watching MSNBC, I asked Bakari Sellers, a CNN analyst and Harris surrogate, how he thought the senator was doing with black men in South Carolina. Sellers, who ran for lieutenant governor in South Carolina in 2014, pulled no punches. He believes Biden’s support in the Palmetto State is soft, Cory Booker hasn’t caught fire and that Kamala Harris will win the primary. But he acknowledges challenges she’ll face in his home state.

“I tell everyone in the black male community we have a great deal of misogyny. That’s just a fact. If anybody thought that the misogyny that Hillary Clinton went through was over? Imagine what this black woman will go through. But a large part of this is that there are some voters who are gonna be like she married a white man, I can’t vote for a woman. These are the same people who wouldn’t vote for Hillary Clinton.”

Sellers, as an analyst and a former candidate hears the behind-the-scenes talk about Harris from Kiki’s Chicken & Waffles in downtown Columbia to the Green Rooms of 24-hour cable networks. It also gives him a freedom to speak others may not have.

“With black male voters there has been a caricature of Sen. Harris that she locks up black men; what she has to do is be honest and forthcoming and reconcile that record. And be full-throated, about the topic of criminal justice reform.”

From the Lowcountry to the Midlands to the Pee Dee, I talked to black men picking up their kids from the doctor’s office, running church errands and sitting in midtown offices. The more I spoke to them the less I thought Harris would have a problem exclusively with young working-class black men. According to these men, her biggest challenge would be older voters and, specifically, older black women.

“The word that came out of black woman’s mouths: that woman doesn’t have any business running for president. There are folks who don’t think that job is made for a woman. There’s a small segment with the older population older, Southern mindset of the roles of men and women,” said one local consultant.

Some older black women’s position on Harris in South Carolina can be epitomized by the feisty and engaging Phyllis Lloyd-Harris. Lloyd-Harris is the Democratic Party chair for Kershaw County, just east of Columbia and Richland counties, the most reliably blue part of the state. She knows South Carolina voters better than most and she’s always been candid about Harris.

“Her interracial marriage mostly comes up with women; that’s a woman thing,” said Lloyd-Harris, who has endorsed Joe Biden. “Most of our black men are arrested and incarcerated. When a black woman comes along and she marries a white man? What, a black man wasn’t good enough for her? Or she couldn’t find one that she likes?”

I pushed back a bit, questioning whether spouses mattered that much in the primary and whether older black women, who are a bulk of the voters, cared that much about Harris’ husband.

“The few events I’ve attended, spouse, we haven’t seen him and that makes people question,” she said before becoming somewhat wistful. “Michelle was all over South Carolina, and one of things that we saw was a man who loves his wife and a wife that loves her husband. We haven’t seen that. I don’t even know what Kamala’s husband looks like. Because we haven’t seen him.”

Ultimately, does Kamala Harris have a working-class black man problem? Perhaps my first assessment was a little too harsh, but if Sen. Harris’ relationship with black men was a Facebook status it would be “it’s complicated.” As many of the men I spoke to admitted, there are some black men that just won’t vote for Kamala Harris, they’ll find any excuse, her time as a prosecutor, her husband, even her name. They won’t admit it publicly, they’ll use words like ‘electability’ and ‘natural’ to cover their tracks. These are the hidden challenges that all black women candidates face, but especially Harris, running for the presidency. The attitudes that everybody knows and whispers about, and don’t show up on internal polls, but nonetheless frame your campaign strategy.

The clearest indicator of the reality of Harris’ challenges with working class black men is the recent behavior of her campaign. Regardless of what they say in public, they are addressing these issues head on. The senator recently gave a speech at the South Carolina NAACP explaining her criminal justice record; she’s deployed Charlamagne Tha God as a surrogate; and her husband Doug Emhoff will begin a more active role in the campaign later on this year.

For perhaps the first time in campaign history, black men in South Carolina need to be targeted, catered to and pandered to the way that white women, white men, farmers and stay-at-home moms in Iowa have been for decades. That means campaigning to men who may be sexist and prejudiced, but the reality is, Harris’ ability to win over these men will be the key to her political future. Winning campaigns isn’t about changing bigots or reforming sexists, it’s about winning votes on Election Day. We will find out in eight months if Kamala Harris is up to the challenge.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Shit. I skimmed but the “what’s her husband look like” is terrible...
Jun 19th 2019
Has any black male politician with a white wife recently been successful...
Jun 21st 2019
Locks brothas up, married Bob...no thanks!
Jun 19th 2019
lol
Jun 19th 2019
Kamala = Hillary 2.0
Jun 19th 2019
Is this deja vu or did Jason Johnson write this exact same article
Jun 19th 2019
Black women acting like they didn’t ask what color Obama’s wife was
Jun 19th 2019
#THIS #DOT #COM
Jun 19th 2019
Not just color, but complexion, too.
Jun 20th 2019
      I can’t front. I did it too
Jun 20th 2019
      yep it mattered a lot.
Jun 20th 2019
I'm an AKA,and I'm not voting for Copala
Jun 20th 2019
lmmfao @ 'Copala'
Jun 20th 2019
For a smooth 2.3 seconds I thought she was talking about
Jun 20th 2019
HUGE PROPS TO YOU!
Jun 20th 2019
She doesn't seem like someone I'd enjoy being around.
Jun 20th 2019
Can you convince me she didnt sleep her way
Jun 20th 2019
come on man...be better than this
Jun 21st 2019
it's not a good look
Jun 21st 2019
that is FAR LESS RELEVANT compared to what she did while in that seat
Jun 24th 2019
I think the cop thing is silly
Jun 25th 2019
Seems like the burden would be on people proving she slept her way
Jun 25th 2019
She's the (pre-injury) Kevin Durant of politics
Jun 21st 2019
this article and the framiing of this article are both shit
Jun 25th 2019

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79596 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Shit. I skimmed but the “what’s her husband look like” is terrible..."
In response to Reply # 0

Iont know what Warrens husband looks like either.

I always thought this would be an issue for Harris tho. She won’t get our vote in large numbers because of her husband. This is America.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 01:55 PM

20. "Has any black male politician with a white wife recently been successful..."
In response to Reply # 1

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 03:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Locks brothas up, married Bob...no thanks!"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://www.Tupreme.com

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 04:33 PM

6. "lol"
In response to Reply # 2

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 04:03 PM

3. "Kamala = Hillary 2.0"
In response to Reply # 0

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 04:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Is this deja vu or did Jason Johnson write this exact same article "
In response to Reply # 0

6 months ago? I swear I remember this headline.

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 04:18 PM

5. "Black women acting like they didn’t ask what color Obama’s wife was "
In response to Reply # 0

when they first heard about him.

Michelle was the reason Obama was elected.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 05:17 PM

7. "#THIS #DOT #COM"
In response to Reply # 5

>Michelle was the reason Obama was elected.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://www.Tupreme.com

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 09:10 AM

9. "Not just color, but complexion, too."
In response to Reply # 5

Her being not-lightskinned won him alot of points with Black women.

legsdiamond
79596 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 09:17 AM

10. "I can’t front. I did it too"
In response to Reply # 9

Nothing to do with her complexion but when she was talking I was like “ok, she’s a real one”

She wasn’t cookie cutter or groomed. You knew she was the type to check Obama behind closed doors.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 09:17 AM

11. "yep it mattered a lot."
In response to Reply # 9

<--- Big Baller World Order

afrogirl_lost
Member since May 22nd 2012
3062 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 09:10 AM

8. "I'm an AKA,and I'm not voting for Copala"
In response to Reply # 0

either. My sorors wanted me to help plan an event for her, and they were salty when I said HELL NO.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 09:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "lmmfao @ 'Copala'"
In response to Reply # 8

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 10:43 AM

13. "For a smooth 2.3 seconds I thought she was talking about "
In response to Reply # 12

Francis Ford.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 10:06 PM

16. "HUGE PROPS TO YOU!"
In response to Reply # 8

That's whats up!!!!

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 12:03 PM

14. "She doesn't seem like someone I'd enjoy being around."
In response to Reply # 0

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 12:33 PM

15. "Can you convince me she didnt sleep her way "
In response to Reply # 0

to the top? 'Cause rumor has it...

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3757 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 08:55 AM

17. "come on man...be better than this"
In response to Reply # 15

affair or not she's a brilliant and talented woman. People can disagree with her politics but no one is saying she's not smart.

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 01:11 PM

19. "it's not a good look "
In response to Reply # 17

I am trying to be better.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 12:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "that is FAR LESS RELEVANT compared to what she did while in that seat"

there's a reason she gets called a "cop", and she's never been made to really answer for that

Bluebear
3757 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 09:42 AM

22. "I think the cop thing is silly"
In response to Reply # 21

I agree though, she needs to explain some of the choices she made while AG, though I think some of the expectations for her in that position were unrealistic.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49416 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 01:34 PM

23. "Seems like the burden would be on people proving she slept her way"

to the top, not the other way around.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Bluebear
3757 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 08:57 AM

18. "She's the (pre-injury) Kevin Durant of politics"
In response to Reply # 0

She's really good and should have stans but doesn't really seem to connect with anyone on that level. I'm pulling for her though. She's probably my second choice.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Tue Jun-25-19 05:26 PM

24. "this article and the framiing of this article are both shit"
In response to Reply # 0

like horrible

Her record is absurdly carcereal. The Black community is already over-policed. She has a RECORD problem.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13338998 Previous topic | Next topic