Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13338820

Subject: "I could be a millionaire if only I" Previous topic | Next topic
Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I could be a millionaire if only I"

The underlying theme of that op-ed decrying Robert Smith's Morehouse gift.
Longstanding opposition towards, and offense of, the mere idea of Slavery Reparations--not including tomorrow's mostly meaningless Juneteenth House Hearing.
The tinyhouse movement.
Donald Trump's self purported life story.
The glut of articles about 'self-made' millennial millionaires.
All seem to share a common theme where people who achieved financial success all explicitly attribute one broad force, individual financial responsibility. While on the other hand, anyone else who hasn't can only blame themselves for their own moral failings for remaining poor or underemployed.

https://theoutline.com/post/3840/frugalwoods-frugality-millennials?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Welcome to Money Diaries...
Jun 18th 2019
This bish gets $1100 a month from her parents and they pay her rent
Jun 18th 2019
      and medical insurance and tuition
Jun 18th 2019
      Right. FOH.
Jun 18th 2019
           and half of her week was spent in The Hamptons
Jun 18th 2019
                poor people always looking for handouts
Jun 18th 2019
                     Wait, for real?
Jun 18th 2019
                          yep
Jun 18th 2019
                          I’m pretty sure this is a fantasy op-ed
Jun 18th 2019
                          have you read the other entries, they're submitted by readers?
Jun 18th 2019
                          I can't imagine just asking the server for something free
Jun 18th 2019
                               Closed mouths tho
Jun 18th 2019
Yeah. Just about everyone who has a frugal blog
Jun 18th 2019
And they ALL make money off telling folks how broke & frugal they are...
Jun 18th 2019
      Yup. They all make insane amounts from their blog post
Jun 18th 2019
Boomers *love* his shit
Jun 18th 2019
Why can't these kids today just do what I did
Jun 18th 2019
ahh. Another couple of lifestyle peddlers.....
Jun 18th 2019
Their target audience is the upper middle class
Jun 18th 2019
Their target audience is anyone.
Jun 18th 2019
Yes to this
Jun 18th 2019
I'm talking specfically about bloggers like the Frugalwoods
Jun 18th 2019
      Understood
Jun 18th 2019
Money Mustache Dude has a divorce
Jun 18th 2019

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Welcome to Money Diaries..."
In response to Reply # 0

where we're tackling what might be the last taboo facing modern working women: money. We're asking millennials how they spend their hard-earned money during a seven-day period — and we're tracking every last dollar.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/money-diary-new-york-city-marketing-intern-income

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 11:49 AM

3. "This bish gets $1100 a month from her parents and they pay her rent"
In response to Reply # 1

and her phone bill.

Why is this woman being featured again?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 12:02 PM

5. "and medical insurance and tuition "
In response to Reply # 3

refinery29 is "asking millennials how they spend their hard-earned money"

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 12:15 PM

6. "Right. FOH. "
In response to Reply # 3

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 12:43 PM

9. "and half of her week was spent in The Hamptons"
In response to Reply # 6

Avocado toast is so cliche too

But wrapped it all up with a mental health help line because life has to be hard as fuck with all this free money.

Damn stunting ass posts.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 01:03 PM

11. "poor people always looking for handouts"
In response to Reply # 9

8:42 p.m. — We finally sit down at a lovely table outside. Z. and I order two small pizzas and a grilled calamari appetizer to share. I tell her that there's no chance we leave without getting some free stuff. I suggest to the waiter that he brings us some wine on the house, and he does. He also brings us a panna cotta dessert with our check. $36.62

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 01:15 PM

12. "Wait, for real?"
In response to Reply # 11

>I suggest to the waiter that
>he brings us some wine on the house, and he does.

The balls on these guys.

My wife and I got a free desert once in a Cuban restaurant in the suburbs. The guy who ran the place said we were a cute couple and we should have some flan because his flan was excellent. No charge.

This was literally twenty years ago and we still talk about it like it was the most amazing thing to ever happen. Who's out there "suggesting" that they get free wine with their dinner?

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 01:41 PM

15. "yep"
In response to Reply # 12

https://youtu.be/l_LeJfn_qW0?t=117

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 02:16 PM

17. "I’m pretty sure this is a fantasy op-ed"

Sorry but it just reads like someone who had to meet a deadline and made up an annoying person to get clicks.

Avocado toast is what set it off.

Shit reads like a millennial dream life.

Prolly written by a boomer.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 02:40 PM

20. "have you read the other entries, they're submitted by readers?"
In response to Reply # 17

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/author/you

Not only do I believe the article as authentic, if she's lying, her parents give her more money & her boyfriend is paying for plenty of those social activities.

She wrote about spending the day at work bored and online shopping, but missing in her daily expense tally was any of that shopping. There's a credit card someone is paying the bill on--not named her.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 02:37 PM

19. "I can't imagine just asking the server for something free"

We went out to dinner a couple weeks ago and got our desert on the house (they asked if it was a special occasion and we said it was a belated anniversary dinner, which was kinda true.) Felt like we were pulling the heist of the century since it wasn't technically the anniversary.

To just sit down, look the server in the eye and say "these drinks should be free?" You're a stone cold psychopath.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 03:18 PM

22. "Closed mouths tho"
In response to Reply # 19

I’m not one to beg but if I’m feeling good I will chat up a waiter in a heartbeat.

He best one tho is asking a bartender to make their special drink. Usually they end up asking you to try one of their drinks so they can show off their skills.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 11:45 AM

2. "Yeah. Just about everyone who has a frugal blog"
In response to Reply # 0

also had a job making 6 figures that they “retired” from

The only advice that kinda makes sense is moving closer to your job but even that is a break even for folks living in expensive cities.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 12:16 PM

7. "And they ALL make money off telling folks how broke & frugal they are..."
In response to Reply # 2

>also had a job making 6 figures that they “retired” from
>
>The only advice that kinda makes sense is moving closer to
>your job but even that is a break even for folks living in
>expensive cities.
>
>

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 12:22 PM

8. "Yup. They all make insane amounts from their blog post"
In response to Reply # 7

It’s no different gam the real estate flipper who makes most of his money giving talks about flipping.

and then sells a CD box set of their stories.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 11:51 AM

4. "Boomers *love* his shit"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm going to enjoy re-appropriating the Frugalwood's wealth the most, I think.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 12:48 PM

10. "Why can't these kids today just do what I did"
In response to Reply # 0

and go to an affordable public university that you can pay for by mowing lawns for a summer and then go into one of those businesses that are hiring stable jobs with good benefits and ask for one of their jobs? No, my adult children don't talk to me, why do you ask?

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 01:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "ahh. Another couple of lifestyle peddlers....."
In response to Reply # 0

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 01:34 PM

14. "Their target audience is the upper middle class"
In response to Reply # 0

>All seem to share a common theme where people who achieved
>financial success all explicitly attribute one broad force,
>individual financial responsibility. While on the other hand,
>anyone else who hasn't can only blame themselves for their own
>moral failings for remaining poor or underemployed.

So I read a fair number of these blogs and I don't read any that talk much about the poor, positive or negative, or much at all.

The people writing them were upper middle class and their advice is generally geared to others that are, though the financially independent/early retiree lifestyle they live now is appealing to everybody.

They're talking to the people that don't "feel rich" while making 6 figure household incomes. For that demographic, over-consuming generally IS the issue so frugality is an effective way for them to get ahead.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 02:14 PM

16. "Their target audience is anyone."
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Jun-18-19 02:31 PM by Cam

As of today, in 2019, Forbes has written at least one hundred articles related to Millennial's and their money - https://www.forbes.com/search/?startdate=year&q=millenial#7ef159c2279f

CNBC has nearly three thousand - https://www.cnbc.com/search/?query=millennials%20money&qsearchterm=millennials%20money

Media entities want the maximum amount of eyes on their content, and the way everyone's news algorithms feed them, the articles span far beyond one specific demographic, as designed.

Poor-shaming is a thing and is often used as a powerful political tool.

But even if only that upper middle class target reads the articles, they are still intentionally being inundated with Libertarian minded claims of the way wealth is accumulated is by simply not being wasteful--implying poor people are poor on their own accord. Perpetuating myths which strategically disregard/forget why generational poverty/wealth exists.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 02:42 PM

21. "Yes to this"
In response to Reply # 16

>But even if only that upper middle class target reads the
>articles, they are still intentionally being inundated with
>Libertarian minded claims of the way wealth is accumulated is
>by simply not being wasteful--implying poor people are poor on
>their own accord. Perpetuating myths which strategically
>disregard/forget why generational poverty/wealth exists.

------

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 03:34 PM

23. "I'm talking specfically about bloggers like the Frugalwoods"
In response to Reply # 16

The people focusing on FI/RE (Financial Independence/Retire Early) are primarily writing for people like themselves... people with high income potential who expect to "retire" at some point bc of the trajectory of their careers and incomes but want to accelerate the time table by reducing their consumption.

I think the blogs are inherently counter-culture because they generally talk about ignoring the consumerist message from the rest of society and using money intentionally to free up the time to pursue other, more life affirming, goals.

Like I said before, they generally don't consider the perspective of those that aren't making much money, which is a legit criticism they get when the general public is made aware of them through corporate media like CNBC. Those larger entities hook regular people with headlines like "See how this guy retired in his 30's!" and then alot of people feel pissed that the tips given aren't useful to them because they have no discretionary spending to cut.

For that reason, I think the poor-shaming is inferred by the readers more than implied or even explicitly said. The blogs mostly come from the perspective of "Hey, you're lucky/smart/hardworking enough to have some means, don't waste them mindlessly" which could be off-putting if you're not coming from the same place.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 04:17 PM

24. "Understood"
In response to Reply # 23

I worked with a guy who I didn't realize, until reading more about FIRE, whose entire lifestyle (a millionaire who basically used is ex-wife to pay his debts and secretly stored away all of his earnings for years to amass it, all while she thought he was her charity case) is based on these teachings. He even gave me an reading list which he said he came up with, every last one of the books is on all of those FIRE sites.

But, personalities like the Frugalwoods promote their lifestyles as responsible living, based upon a self-made assumption, explicitly selling books and posting VLOGs to teach people how to save money. They omit that they started debt-free & with full savings accounts in the first place.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-18-19 02:21 PM

18. "Money Mustache Dude has a divorce"
In response to Reply # 14

I think that was pretty open book of him to post about it. Of course folks were like “it’s because of your lifestyle” but he said HE asked for the divorce.

But yes, overall it’s bullshit.

We used to listen to Dave Ramsey and folks would call in on some “we make 12K a month, have 400k in cash, 700K in the 401K... and no debt” asking him if they can afford a vacation.

Fuck y’all

Lobby General Discussion topic #13338820 Previous topic | Next topic