Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13338454

Subject: "The Boondocks show back (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Fri Jun-14-19 11:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Boondocks show back (swipe)"

god is good

https://io9.gizmodo.com/sony-announces-a-reimagined-boondocks-with-original-cre-1835447417

The Freemans are coming back. Sony has confirmed that The Boondocks is returning with a new television show, and original creator Aaron McGruder is on board. They also revealed a show based on the late Anthony Bourdain’s graphic novel series, and revealed more on Phill Lord and Chris Miller’s much-anticipated animated follow-up to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

As reported by Variety, Sony Pictures Animation unveiled a slew of new shows and films coming in 2020 and beyond. During a presentation it was revealed that McGruder was collaborating with Sony Pictures Television on a reimagined version of The Boondocks. It will dive into the Freemans battle against Uncle Ruckus, who’s now an “evil local government tyrant who rules fictional Woodcrest County, Maryland with an iron fist.” Comedian John Witherspoon, who played Granddad, hinted in a previous interview that he was working on a new The Boondocks show. No word yet about Regina King, though.

Sony executives revealed that Anthony Bourdain and Joel Rose’s horror graphic novel, Hungry Ghosts, was being turned into an anthology series about chefs telling each other scary ghost stories. Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack) also shared more on the latest series he’s directing, Black Night, about a loyal knight who turns himself into a vigilante after failing to protect his king.

There was much hub-bub about Lord and Miller’s new project, The Mitchells vs. The Machines. The movie is about a vacationing family who get caught up in a tech uprising, as all the robots and tech devices simultaneously turn against humanity and stage a revolt. According to Variety, the clips viewed at the presentation show how the movie will use animation techniques from Spider-Verse in a new and different way. The article described the human portions are chaotic and done “in a painterly handmade way, not so far from French 2D animated movies.” On the other hand, the high-tech stuff will be big and highly stylized. Meaning that not only will these worlds collide thematically, but also visually. The Mitchells vs. The Machines comes out September 2020.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Interesting, the old episodes haven't aged well
Jun 17th 2019
Really? I need to revisit.
Jun 17th 2019
weird i think a lot of them play even better now.
Jun 17th 2019
I think this is the problem with people in 2019.
Jun 17th 2019
      do you think the gangstalicious episodes would be fine today?
Jun 17th 2019
           Hell yeah it still works.
Jun 17th 2019
           you say that like there are openly gay rappers now
Jun 17th 2019
                Pretty sure there are a few. Not real popular but a few years back
Jun 17th 2019
I think it did for the most part
Jun 17th 2019
That gangstaliscious stuff was hilarious and on point.
Jun 17th 2019
Some of the eps really don't hold up.
Jun 17th 2019

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3757 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 10:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Interesting, the old episodes haven't aged well"
In response to Reply # 0

It'll be interesting to see how they adapt.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79334 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 10:22 AM

2. "Really? I need to revisit. "
In response to Reply # 1

I loved that show.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 10:45 AM

3. "weird i think a lot of them play even better now."
In response to Reply # 1

one of the things im worried about for the reboot is softening the characters for this outrage era.

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
79334 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 10:52 AM

4. "I think this is the problem with people in 2019. "
In response to Reply # 3

Not Bluebear but in general.

entertainment rarely ages well, especially if you are looking for shit to be outraged by.

This show this, it’s so over the top and filled with hyperbole that I can’t really see it not aging well unless it’s the N word overkill.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Bluebear
Member since Apr 06th 2003
3757 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 11:02 AM

7. "do you think the gangstalicious episodes would be fine today?"
In response to Reply # 4

homophobia aside, do you think the notion of a rapper being gay moves the needle in the same way? There were a few other instances where I found myself cringing while attempting to rewatched. Btw I agree that comedy as a genre is not prone to aging well, maybe that's a good reason to leave well enough alone.

legsdiamond
79334 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 11:39 AM

8. "Hell yeah it still works. "
In response to Reply # 7

because it’s not just about a gangster rapper being gay. It’s about gangster rappers not really being about that gangster lifestyle.

Homophobia? Pfft.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32081 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 11:44 AM

9. "you say that like there are openly gay rappers now"
In response to Reply # 7

legsdiamond
79334 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 11:48 AM

10. "Pretty sure there are a few. Not real popular but a few years back"
In response to Reply # 9

I remember it was a “thing” on YT.

Also remember this dudes video.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HYlKCSGd-Uk/hqdefault.jpg

I thought the rapper parody on Boondocks was about how over the top rappers were vs their actual real persona IRL.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 10:53 AM

5. "I think it did for the most part"
In response to Reply # 1

Some of the Gangstalicious stuff, maybe, but the show also took the viewpoint that Riley's gay panic was ridiculous and over the top.

I'm just glad McGruder's back.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

legsdiamond
79334 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 10:59 AM

6. "That gangstaliscious stuff was hilarious and on point. "
In response to Reply # 5

It’s a wild ass parody with some truth to it. Look at some of these rappers today.

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Jun-17-19 11:56 AM

11. "Some of the eps really don't hold up."
In response to Reply # 1

Season 1 especially
theres a lot of episodes you kinda had to be around for.

Season 2 & 3 hold up pretty well since they decided to put more emphasis on the characters. The characters deal with topical issues and they grow from it by the end. Season one did more spoofing of topical stuff so the whole thing hinges on you knowing the context, which has less replay value storytelling-wise.

you don't really need outside context for Gangstalicious or Huey Freeman Christmas, but episodes like the MLK ep are inside baseball.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13338454 Previous topic | Next topic