Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13337940

Subject: "The Douglass Plan For Black America" Previous topic | Next topic
_explain555
Member since Oct 15th 2009
1412 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 12:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: The Douglass Plan For Black America"

mayor pete tryna be on his captial B shit

think i might tune in for dis debate they havin on BET

why more candidates aint showin up tho?

https://www.charlestonchronicle.net/2019/06/11/buttigiegs-message-ahead-of-bet-black-economic-alliance-forum/

Buttigieg’s Message Ahead of BET Black Economic Alliance Forum

A week from now, our nation will celebrate Juneteenth. It marks the day when enslaved Black people in Texas learned–almost two years after the fact–that the Emancipation Proclamation had rendered them free people. It is a fundamentally American occasion–a celebration of freedom, but also an acknowledgement of freedom delayed. As we observe this day, we must be honest that the hopes stirred almost 160 years ago have still not been fully realized.

Black Americans are not yet fully free when Black unemployment is still almost twice the national average, when the average Black eighth grader reads at a level far below their white peers, and when Black mothers are 3-4 times more likely to die from pregnancy-related complications than white women. We lack true freedom when so many schools are almost as segregated as they were before Brown v. Board of Education. And, we cannot have freedom when identical resumes with stereotypically white or Black names lead to wildly different chances of being hired. These persistent inequalities have compounded over hundreds of years. They hold back our economy and corrode the American soul.

Replacing racist policies with neutral ones will not be enough to deliver equality. We must actively work to reverse these harms, which is why I propose that we invest in equity with a plan as bold as the Marshall Plan that rebuilt Europe after World War II. Let’s call it the Douglass Plan for Black America, in honor of Frederick Douglass, who called America to better live up to its promise. Such a plan could help heal the deep wounds of America’s original sin and supercharge economic growth for every American.

Like my campaign, the plan is structured around three values: freedom, security, and democracy.

When it comes to freedom, America–with only about 5% of the world’s population–is home to nearly 25% of the world’s incarcerated population, and this population is disproportionately Black. We would be a safer and more just country if we did not harshly penalize the poor, or young people who’ve made missteps. By reducing sentencing disparities and ensuring that every returning citizen can reintegrate into society, I commit to using every tool possible to end unnecessary and discriminatory incarceration, with the result of reducing the number of Americans incarcerated by 50 percent. This is not a random target, but the hard math on how many Americans should not be locked up in the first place.

True security means being able to provide food, shelter, and a livelihood. Yet today–as a direct result of slavery, Jim Crow, and ongoing discrimination large and small–for every $100 in wealth a white family has, the average Black family only has $5.04. To combat this wealth gap and encourage greater economic security within the Black community, America should triple the number of entrepreneurs from underserved areas–particularly ones of color–within ten years. This would create over 3 million new jobs and more than $660 billion in new wealth for Black communities and our country, through a number of policies to support this goal. For example, I’m proposing a federal fund–modeled on a Maryland program–that would co-invest in entrepreneurs of color, particularly in low-income communities.

We want to increase the number of successful small businesses in Black communities by 50%, by reforming credit scoring, increasing access to credit, and supporting long-term growth. Under my administration, the federal government will also almost triple its contracting business with minority-owned firms, from just over 9% to 25%. This single proposal could inject more than $100 billion in communities of color. The Douglass Plan would further support the next generation of Black entrepreneurs by expanding access to capital, training entrepreneurs, and rigorously and tracking our progress.

Lastly, we must safeguard our democracy. Americans have lost faith in a political system where dollars outvote people, and where politicians fail to deliver even on ideas supported by an American majority.

This cynicism is nowhere more warranted than in the Black community, where systematic efforts are taking away the right to vote. To counteract this troubling trend, we commit to advancing a 21st Century Voting Rights Act, to ensure that every vote is counted everywhere, particularly in communities with a history of discrimination. This means banning practices like voter ID laws and ensuring that potentially discriminatory changes to voting laws first be reviewed by the Department of Justice. We are not a true democracy if certain Americans are restricted from voting because one party has decided they would be better off if fewer people vote.

I’ll have a lot more to say about these policies in the coming weeks. But the time to act is now. Frederick Douglass once noted that “Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.” So let’s demand greater freedom, security, and democracy for communities that need it most. Doing so will enrich not just Black America, but all Americans.

Poll result (6 votes)
feelin it (1 votes)Vote
meh (3 votes)Vote
so n so's black agenda better (1 votes)Vote
da fuk is this?! (0 votes)Vote
im against reparations (1 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
anybody been comparin black agendas? who bringin da heat?
Jun 12th 2019
who da fuk voted against reparations?!
Jun 12th 2019
Candidate says Reparations and Black Folks Swoon
Jun 12th 2019
well shit we did ask for da shit lol
Jun 12th 2019
Yeah, but they ain't about make us whole.
Jun 12th 2019
It’s a set up
Jun 13th 2019
      damn dawg
Jun 13th 2019
           Ain’t got time for pipe dreams bruh
Jun 14th 2019
Sounds fine. Slim on details. I think Bookers baby bonds plan
Jun 13th 2019
you aint even lyin. i was like when was da last time i watched BET
Jun 13th 2019
Ta-Nehisi Coates and Danny Glover set to testify on Juneteenth
Jun 13th 2019
da CBC gotta know its wrong for not includin yvette or tone or darity th...
Jun 13th 2019
Honestly, the hearing (or whateva) being held on Juneteenth is insulting...
Jun 13th 2019
wasted opportunity. its dope ados hold da CBC accountable tho
Jun 13th 2019
why is it insulting to discuss on juneteenth
Jun 13th 2019
CBC BEEN trash
Jun 13th 2019
Tones website slim on certain details as well
Jun 14th 2019
they aren't going to do anything
Jun 14th 2019
empty generic Black capitalist bullshit
Jun 13th 2019

_explain555
1412 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 12:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "anybody been comparin black agendas? who bringin da heat?"
In response to Reply # 0

lol

_explain555
1412 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 02:07 PM

2. "who da fuk voted against reparations?!"
In response to Reply # 0

reveal yaself

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 02:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Candidate says Reparations and Black Folks Swoon "
In response to Reply # 0

Where was all of this reparations new hope bubble talk 12, 8, 5, 3 years ago

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

_explain555
1412 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 02:46 PM

4. "well shit we did ask for da shit lol"
In response to Reply # 3

how you finna switch up now cuz mfs talkin bout it

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 03:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Yeah, but they ain't about make us whole. "
In response to Reply # 4

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 08:40 AM

7. "It’s a set up"
In response to Reply # 3

We need real change... not pie in the sky shit that we won’t get.

Let’s talk about prison reform, scholarships, education, grants, small business loans, loan forgiveness programs

Folks ain’t getting a check in the mail so let’s not even waste time on it.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

_explain555
1412 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 09:42 AM

9. "damn dawg "
In response to Reply # 7

keep hope alive!

shit lol

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Fri Jun-14-19 10:24 AM

19. "Ain’t got time for pipe dreams bruh"
In response to Reply # 9

We need real tangible goals and policies.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 07:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Sounds fine. Slim on details. I think Bookers baby bonds plan"
In response to Reply # 0

Is probably more interesting at this point

Saying "X is at 4%, my administration will have it at 9%. That's over twice as much X!!"

Just campaign promises.

Nobody's coming to the forum cuz
- on their side, it's probably taking time away from being in Iowa or getting national press
- on our side, we shtt on BET all the time so the campaigns probably not even sure if it's worth it

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

_explain555
1412 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 09:41 AM

8. "you aint even lyin. i was like when was da last time i watched BET"
In response to Reply # 6

shit AND its on a sunday mornin?

between church folk n da heathens dats sleepin in after clubbin night before

who da fuk finna get up n watch da shit

schedulin fail like a mf

and yea baby bonds is cool

whoever wins should voltron all da ideas

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 09:57 AM

10. "Ta-Nehisi Coates and Danny Glover set to testify on Juneteenth"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/reparations-slavery-house-hearing-tanehisi-coates_n_5d0235eae4b0304a120ab01a

"The House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties is scheduled to hold the hearing next Wednesday, its stated purpose “to examine, through open and constructive discourse, the legacy of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, its continuing impact on the community and the path to restorative justice.” The date of the hearing, June 19, coincides with Juneteenth, a cultural holiday commemorating the emancipation of enslaved blacks in America."

Should be interesting. I wonder if any of Coates' thoughts have changed at all since he wrote that piece some time ago.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

_explain555
1412 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 10:13 AM

11. "da CBC gotta know its wrong for not includin yvette or tone or darity th..."
In response to Reply # 10

and they PISSED too

https://twitter.com/BreakingBrown/status/1138699618403979264

https://twitter.com/tonetalks/status/1138663651496189952

https://twitter.com/tonetalks/status/1138859764857749504

https://twitter.com/tonetalks/status/1139034876621889536

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 10:41 AM

12. "Honestly, the hearing (or whateva) being held on Juneteenth is insulting..."
In response to Reply # 11

to me. Sometimes, symbolic gestures like this one are just actual (and not symbolic or hyperbolic) BS!

--- praying for peace, love, and power

_explain555
1412 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 10:51 AM

13. "wasted opportunity. its dope ados hold da CBC accountable tho"
In response to Reply # 12

mfs be fallin asleep at da wheel sometimes lol

Riot
14614 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 06:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "why is it insulting to discuss on juneteenth "
In response to Reply # 12

its not a federal holiday, congress gonna be dressed up and BS-ing in DC anyway

i think there was a recent updated piece by ta-nehisi floating around somewhere... i didnt read it yet

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 08:00 PM

16. "CBC BEEN trash"

Riot
14614 posts
Fri Jun-14-19 09:56 AM

17. "Tones website slim on certain details as well"

But he blocked me when discussing it lol

That crew definitely gets their egos involved in this "movement", including beefing wit Ncobra and all that

They do as much chatting as they do strategizing

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

naame
Charter member
21015 posts
Fri Jun-14-19 10:23 AM

18. "they aren't going to do anything"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri Jun-14-19 10:24 AM by naame

it's almost hilarious to me how seriously people are taking this twitter movement that is being used to stoke anti-immigrant grievances amongst twitter activists

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Thu Jun-13-19 07:59 PM

15. "empty generic Black capitalist bullshit"
In response to Reply # 0

vague as hell
Nah, this ain't it

Lobby General Discussion topic #13337940 Previous topic | Next topic