Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13336636

Subject: "Talkin' Cars On Tuesday: The Repairman Commeth" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 08:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Talkin' Cars On Tuesday: The Repairman Commeth"

The wife's Focus has been showing it's age as of late. 2 weeks ago I go to the garage to take out the trash and am greeted with a pool of antifreeze on the side of the car. An examination revealed a water inlet block on the back of the engine was leaking. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be many videos of how to replace the thing, and most online stores couldn't even tell me what the part was (most pointed me to the thermostat housing, which is on the other side of the car and I need to replace when I get to doing the thermostat anyway, but that's later this month). After maneuvering through the wiring and hose nest that the part is buried under I find the part number etched on the side of the part and cross reference it on Ford's site and figure out what it is. A call to the dealer early the next morning got the part ordered, and after leaving work early I managed to get the antifreeze drained, the part replaced and the coolant refilled before 11 that night. Sweet, right?

Sweet until the next week, when the transmission went haywire. We were hopeful the TCM was acting up, which Ford extended the warranty on for their Powershift transmission (which, while a good idea, ended up being a woeful experience in practice). After a weekend at the dealer for diagnosis, it turns out one of the internal clutches and slave cylinders in the transmission is shot, and replacement will run about $2k. Not exactly what you want to hear unless you have $2k laying around, which we don't. So, checking out what options we have to get her rolling again. The car runs, but feels like driving with an 85 year old driving a stick with bad synchros and grinds every gear.

Other than that, I need to detail mine after I take it to get some recall work. Probably do the tune up this month too (not at 80k yet, but I need to replace a fuel sensor anyway, so may as well spend another 20 minutes with the plugs).

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I almost destroyed my transmission doing something similar
Jun 04th 2019
Nah. Definitely coolant; no transmission fluid
Jun 04th 2019
oof thats no good
Jun 04th 2019
Ahhhh...the infamous dual clutch transmission strikes again...
Jun 04th 2019
Oh, and I’ve easily replaced 100 of those water outlets on the back...
Jun 04th 2019
      Wife bought it new in '12. Needed replacing
Jun 04th 2019
driving a Jaguar Sportbrake today
Jun 04th 2019
I gotta new set of tires!
Jun 05th 2019
I was scared as hell to drive in the rain due to balding tires
Jun 05th 2019
a good set of tires does so much in terms of traction,
Jun 05th 2019
      Word life. Good tires are a necessity
Jun 05th 2019
the Volvo's in the shop for something dumb right now
Jun 05th 2019
Side airbags: 10/10 would recommend.
Aug 22nd 2019
ha ha, glad you're okay!
Aug 24th 2019
What happened? Got T-Boned? Glad you walked away from it
Aug 24th 2019
      got off the highway looking for a shortcut and....
Aug 25th 2019
           Oh man that's scary. Glad you both survived
Aug 25th 2019

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15893 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I almost destroyed my transmission doing something similar"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-04-19 09:27 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Not sure if it's related to your problem.

I was a broke college student who wasn't about to pay like $800 to replace a cracked radiator. So with no car knowledge, a lack of proper tools I went to work myself.

I used YouTube+written guides and it took my damn near 15 hours of blood sweat and TEARS to replace it. I refilled the coolant. Started it up and saw no coolant leaks, so I gave myself a big pat on the back and called it a night.

Went to drive it the next day, and the automatic shifting was all messed up. Jerking into gears, refusing to shift at high rpms, grinding noises.

Come to find out, I drained a lot of the transmission fluid when draining the coolant, so it was super low. Luckily I didn't drive far.

Put in a little transmission fluid and everything was back to normal.

But I was scared to death. And that's why I'll never do another repair myself. That and I have money lol

spenzalii
10978 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 09:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Nah. Definitely coolant; no transmission fluid"
In response to Reply # 1

The transmission Ford used in the last gen Focus and Fiesta is a known POS. I want to say the two problems were coincidence, but I can definitely say it wasn't from low transmission fluid

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16402 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 09:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "oof thats no good"
In response to Reply # 0

it feels good not having to worry about mechanical car problems but i guess that monthly note is more in a year than your repair bill. how old is the car??

biggest issues ive had is the amp went into protect mode last friday. i had the volume so low too.

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Ahhhh...the infamous dual clutch transmission strikes again..."
In response to Reply # 0

I assume you’re out of the factory powertrain warranty. A lot of manufacturers use the “automatically shifted manual” tranny...most notably, BMW. Your’s was a particular piece of shit...not quite on the level of the Nissan CVT....but, still bad. Sorry, man...wish there was something I could tell you. Ford knew/knows they are shit...I thought there was an extension on them.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 10:29 AM

5. "Oh, and I’ve easily replaced 100 of those water outlets on the back..."
In response to Reply # 4

of the head. If you have a Focus, it’s either been replaced or needs replacing. Good job diagnosing it.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

spenzalii
10978 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 03:05 PM

7. "Wife bought it new in '12. Needed replacing"
In response to Reply # 5

When I went to add coolant I could rear it running out somewhere, then scoped it out. Not the best feeling at 11:00 at night when you find out, but had figured out what it was and where to get it before I went to bed. Wasn't terribly difficult. Just needed to remove a slew of hoses (and I really need to invest in some hose clamp pliers, as those SOBs are a bear to get off) and blindly thread some bolts. Replacing the thermostat looks to be the same thing (except I need to go between the intake manifold to reach two of the bolts. Either need a flexible extension or something)

As for that Powershift, Ford extended the warranty on the Transmission Control Module, which tells the tranny when to shift. Once that starts to go wonky, the car may or may not go into gear, may or may not start, may stay stuck in 5th, and may just quit on you. We had that replaced at least once (and that was just when the TSB came out on that extending the warranty to 150k for that part). This go round, the TCM seems fine, but the clutches inside are shot. Whether that TCM was partly to blame is unsure, as that seems to check out fine.

At this rate we just want to keep it a year and get something else. Probably look into a 3rd party warranty to be safe as the Powershift is, well, Powersh*t. Just about everything else with the car has been fine, and it's a fun drive. Were it a stick, or had a conventional transmission (like the Escape) it would be a winner. But that's not the case

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16800 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 10:41 AM

6. "driving a Jaguar Sportbrake today"
In response to Reply # 0

there is no way i can convince my wife
not going to try
thats what im telling myself
damn
being an adult sucks sometimes

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Pamalama
Charter member
1684 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 06:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I gotta new set of tires!"
In response to Reply # 0

I hated spending the money, but it feels like a new car. I don’t feel the bumps as much and the car is definitely faster when accelerating.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79325 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 08:20 AM

9. "I was scared as hell to drive in the rain due to balding tires"
In response to Reply # 8

totally different experience with new tires.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56187 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 09:43 AM

10. "a good set of tires does so much in terms of traction,"
In response to Reply # 8

absorption of road noise and vibration...and all tires are NOT created equal...they just aren't.

spenzalii
10978 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 01:48 PM

12. "Word life. Good tires are a necessity"
In response to Reply # 10

I went from white knuckle driving in the rain out of fear when the stock tires were nearing their EOL to pushing 70 in torrential rain on the highway with a new set of BFGs.

Pays to do your research too. I always recommend hitting up Tire Rack to see what's recommended for the car then base your purchase on that. Getting the cheapest is rarely the way to go, but you may not necessarily need the ultra high performance summer tires either (but if your car DOES need them, better go get them)

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Wed Jun-05-19 12:20 PM

11. "the Volvo's in the shop for something dumb right now"
In response to Reply # 0

so I'm in an XC60. It feels like a scale model of my own car. I could do this. I'd rather a (new) V60 though.

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Thu Aug-22-19 11:40 PM

13. "Side airbags: 10/10 would recommend."
In response to Reply # 0

bad news: I now only have one Honda Civic instead of two.

good news: I'm here posting this bs instead of relearning how to walk (s/o to marcus gravey) or worse

kajsidog
Charter member
2700 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 09:27 AM

14. "ha ha, glad you're okay!"
In response to Reply # 13

See ya, JAK
http://www.staugustinepics.com/

Winner of OKP Second Photo Kontest
Pic #6 http://www.tha-renaissance.com/effstop/kontest2

spenzalii
10978 posts
Sat Aug-24-19 03:00 PM

15. "What happened? Got T-Boned? Glad you walked away from it"
In response to Reply # 13

Safety features these days are worlds better than a few decades ago.

Rjcc
Charter member
94932 posts
Sun Aug-25-19 04:41 AM

16. "got off the highway looking for a shortcut and...."
In response to Reply # 15

yeah

got nailed by a truck in an intersection, idk what happened. a week later I'm still sore, but no major injuries for me or my wife.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

spenzalii
10978 posts
Sun Aug-25-19 08:59 AM

17. "Oh man that's scary. Glad you both survived"
In response to Reply # 16

Lobby General Discussion topic #13336636 Previous topic | Next topic