Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13336527

Subject: "For the OKProfessionals who hire" Previous topic | Next topic
SynsCei
Member since Mar 05th 2008
545 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 04:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"For the OKProfessionals who hire"

How are the perceptions of someone coming into an interview well spoken, qualifications surpass expectations, delivers on all fronts, but is tatted on both arms/wrists/forearms?

First impressions are key, but would a hiring person/persons choose someone else who is perceived as more "clean cut" given everything else is equal?

I have a few upcoming interviews and can easily hide with a long sleeve dress shirt, but I'm unsure on how to handle if/when hired and I wear a short sleeve.

The jobs in question aren't exactly high end. They're intermediate positions where I will be doing clerical/data entry and at times, provide customer support.

The notion of not being hired b/c of misconceptions is absurd, but doesn't make it not real.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It depends on the region/industry.
Jun 03rd 2019
you should be good
Jun 03rd 2019
Are they shitty looking tattoos?
Jun 03rd 2019
RE: Are they shitty looking tattoos?
Jun 03rd 2019
You should be fine. Look professional during the interview...
Jun 03rd 2019
Appreciate the feedback
Jun 03rd 2019
like this?
Jun 04th 2019
      BOOM!
Jun 07th 2019
I'm in tech, and I don't pay attention to that stuff at all
Jun 04th 2019
I'm old school in that all of my tats are hidden...
Jun 04th 2019
I work in public health (state government)
Jun 04th 2019
I think you should know the culture and proceed accordingly
Jun 04th 2019
One of the main reasons I left my last position
Jun 04th 2019
That's awful
Jun 04th 2019
Beyond awful..
Jun 04th 2019
      Fucked up really
Jun 07th 2019
that sucks
Jun 07th 2019
      Well said
Jun 07th 2019
I run a nonprofit afterschool program and i wouldn't care at all
Jun 04th 2019
I met a dude that got a corp job with a face tat almost 10 yrs ago
Jun 07th 2019
Not about to roll up like Tyson
Jun 07th 2019
Who realy wants to be the one to write up the guy with a face tat?
Jun 07th 2019
      I laughed the FUCK out loud at this notion
Jun 07th 2019
Welp
Jun 11th 2019
Lighting a candle for you my damie!
Jun 11th 2019
Much, much appreciated
Jun 11th 2019
awesome, good luck man!
Jun 12th 2019

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 04:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "It depends on the region/industry."
In response to Reply # 0

Nobody is going to give a shit in the West Coast tech scene for example.

If you're nervous you could probably cover up for the interview. That way you can check the place out and figure out if they are going to be petty enough to judge you over something like that.

---
Love,
Nopayne

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 04:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "you should be good"
In response to Reply # 0

like nopayne said, maybe cover up what you can for the interview. first impressions always matter. tattoos are more common now thought so it shouldnt really keep you from getting most jobs. you might run into one or two companies that arent with it but their loss.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 08:35 PM

3. "Are they shitty looking tattoos? "
In response to Reply # 0

I think we are at a point where it doesn’t matter as long as you are qualified.

Now if it’s some stuffy shit where you are meeting stuffy people it could be a problem.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SynsCei
545 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 09:24 PM

5. "RE: Are they shitty looking tattoos? "
In response to Reply # 3

It's some calligraphy on the wrists (x2).

Mos' "Blasting holes in the night until she bled sunshine" on the inner left forearm.

Labyrinth on the inner right forearm

http://nextluxury.com/wp-content/uploads/labyrinth-tattoo-designs-for-men.jpg

Solar system in geometric shapes on lower left tricep/elbow.

Not shitty nor offensive. The lines are clean and the tats are nice (obviously I'm biased).

There are others, but even in a short sleeve, they're hidden.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 08:59 PM

4. "You should be fine. Look professional during the interview..."
In response to Reply # 0

and cover up what you can. The only time it would matter is if you work in a very conservative industry AND regularly do client facing work. I personally work in the accounting industry leading a team of consultants who go to firms all over the country (which can be very conservative depending on location) and in our case we still haven’t had any qualms with hiring people with tats.

The only time I’ve heard something like that even brought up is when we are interviewing an internal candidate who has more than just tats and has visible body modifications (for example we might have tech staff from development who haven’t been customer facing and have facial body mods but are now applying for a consultant role.)

SynsCei
545 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 09:32 PM

6. "Appreciate the feedback"
In response to Reply # 0

Think I'm just letting my mom's old school mentality of "no one's gonna hire you with that on your arms."

(she literally cried when I strolled into her house with 5 of the 9 tats in the open)

But as been stated...new day, new dawn, new era.

I'll feel it out how conservative or reserved these people will be and call audibles from there if need be.

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 11:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "like this?"
In response to Reply # 6

https://youtu.be/xczb7GeQwdA?t=11

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

SynsCei
545 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 12:37 PM

16. "BOOM!"
In response to Reply # 10

Yes!!! As I mentioned in a previous thread, Progressive (among others) are killing the commercial scene with ones like these.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 05:37 AM

7. "I'm in tech, and I don't pay attention to that stuff at all"
In response to Reply # 0

Only about what can they do, and how well would we would work together and get along (easy for me, since I'm an introvert). This field is a bit more liberal tho. Last person we hired has blue & green hair right now. A few dudes in other departments have sleeves, ride bicycles to work, have hipster beards, etc. A lot depends on the company culture too.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 08:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I'm old school in that all of my tats are hidden..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jun-04-19 08:54 AM by Creole

with the exception of the Roman numerals I have on my left wrist.

I've got seven of them. I still believe the industry sort of dictates what's "acceptable." However, once hired and depending n the nature of interactions, I suggest to keep them hidden when you can.

My team meets with a bunch of execs, leaders, and senior management types. These folks are sort of traditional (mainly government right now). So, I keep the tats to myself is how I feel. In a more modern office though, I've been more easily swayed to allow my arm tats to show when wearing short sleeves.

All that to say... Just be cautious of the overall environment and make the best decision from there.

Edit:

"The jobs in question aren't exactly high end. They're intermediate positions where I will be doing clerical/data entry and at times, provide customer support."

Remember that you could encounter many different people in a role like this one. And those people could help take you to another level if and WHEN you make the right impression (RESULTS; not ass-kissing) per se. I'd still say to hide them until you get a lay of the land.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 10:56 AM

9. "I work in public health (state government)"
In response to Reply # 0

Specifically in HIV/STI. In California.

As an interviewer, I’ve never penalized anyone for tattoos, style of dress, etc. And even if it came down to two highly qualified candidates—one clean-cut and another looking like Lil Xan—tattoos/style wouldn’t even come into consideration. Same thing with perceptions of someone already in the job.

We’re a unique bunch, tho. Strong LGBTQ presence. Communities of color represented. Educated.

But it’s still an office/biz atmosphere here. And nowadays tattoos/style don’t matter like they used to.

Good luck on your interviews!

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 11:31 AM

11. "I think you should know the culture and proceed accordingly "
In response to Reply # 0

After obtaining the partnership/job do you (be you) in the most professional manner at all time and let your tats rock out whenever you feel.

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 12:38 PM

12. "One of the main reasons I left my last position"
In response to Reply # 0

We were short staffed by two people, and had just let someone else go. Went through all the resumes and found a few candidates that looked perfect on paper (this was for a small call center). Brought 4 people in for interviews, and the first guy absolutely smashed it. I go to shake his hand and almost offer him the job on the spot, but his sleeve rose up a little bit and the center manager caught hint of some ink right above dudes wrist.

After I walked him out I go to the CL to say "okay, lets go ahead and get the letter together" he goes "did you see his arm? It must be a full sleeve or something...geez...too bad". I was like "you DO realize this is a call center, where no one is ever going to see him, right?" but the CL couldnt get past that. Thats bs...especially in that type of work environment.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 12:50 PM

13. "That's awful"
In response to Reply # 12

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 05:48 PM

15. "Beyond awful.."
In response to Reply # 13

Dude already understood that tats may or may not be acceptable..not like he came in showing them all off. I was livid.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

SynsCei
545 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 12:44 PM

17. "Fucked up really"
In response to Reply # 15

But reading the responses here, and the various industries displayed, I'm confident they can look past the tattoos. Letting my resume/wordplay in the interview process, and eventual work, shine.

Thank you all.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 12:48 PM

18. "that sucks"
In response to Reply # 12

livelihood in the hands of an authority on what looks good....lol

SynsCei
545 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 01:26 PM

19. "Well said"
In response to Reply # 18

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Tue Jun-04-19 05:47 PM

14. "I run a nonprofit afterschool program and i wouldn't care at all"
In response to Reply # 0

in fact, i only noticed recently that my Program Director, who I hired, has tattoos and i was indifferent

d

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 02:42 PM

20. "I met a dude that got a corp job with a face tat almost 10 yrs ago"
In response to Reply # 0

He said he wore concealer for a little while after he got the job but then eventually revealed it and didn't hear a word. He was still new to the job so who knows how that all went long term.

Short of a face tat though, I think most companies are generally tolerant of discrete and/or concealable tattoos.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

SynsCei
545 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 03:30 PM

21. "Not about to roll up like Tyson"
In response to Reply # 20

or Ed Helms, but I getcha.

Thanks for the input. This is why OKP can never die...i've lurked for years, but finally put a footprint in this bitch the past few months.

Whoever the moderators are or people that pull the strings, keep this ish going. There's more of us than you know.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 03:31 PM

22. "Who realy wants to be the one to write up the guy with a face tat?"
In response to Reply # 20

>but then eventually revealed it and didn't hear a word.

SynsCei
545 posts
Fri Jun-07-19 03:42 PM

23. "I laughed the FUCK out loud at this notion"
In response to Reply # 22

seriously...

"uh, Mr. Herna-"
"It's FERNANDEZ FOOL!"
"right... we're gonna have to, well based on your performance, although being OUTSTANDING, hasn't been up to par with-
"par??? BITCH you think i'm gonna putt putt my way through this bitch?? play your way through and end up HANDICAPPED!" *throws up signs...though NEVER ordering hot coffee or a danish*
"Yes sir, I'll go on break now. Would you like another?"
"Yeah, gimme your sandwich"

SynsCei
545 posts
Tue Jun-11-19 06:24 PM

24. "Welp"
In response to Reply # 0

Finished the interviews...

Was glad to see the 2-person panel BOTH had tats on their arms. One of them had this Deron Williams' esque "wtf" is that tat on her wrist/forearm.

The other had a dope solar system in a line running down the side of his forearm.

Felt I nailed the questions, so now I just gotta hope and pray.

*checks phone for missed calls*

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Jun-11-19 07:57 PM

25. "Lighting a candle for you my damie!"
In response to Reply # 24

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

SynsCei
545 posts
Tue Jun-11-19 09:47 PM

26. "Much, much appreciated"
In response to Reply # 25

Thank you!

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Wed Jun-12-19 09:37 AM

27. "awesome, good luck man!"
In response to Reply # 24

Lobby General Discussion topic #13336527 Previous topic | Next topic