Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13336026

Subject: "OKP, we're getting older, so do you have an Advance directive, etc.?" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Thu May-30-19 01:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"OKP, we're getting older, so do you have an Advance directive, etc.?"

After having to manage my dad's end-of-life care I'm telling you, that we all need to get our medical papers and financial docs in order.

https://medlineplus.gov/advancedirectives.html

Advance directives are legal documents that allow you to spell out your decisions about end-of-life care ahead of time. They give you a way to tell your wishes to family, friends, and health care professionals and to avoid confusion later on

What kind of medical care would you want if you were too ill or hurt to express your wishes? Advance directives are legal documents that allow you to spell out your decisions about end-of-life care ahead of time. They give you a way to tell your wishes to family, friends, and health care professionals and to avoid confusion later on.

A living will tells which treatments you want if you are dying or permanently unconscious. You can accept or refuse medical care. You might want to include instructions on

The use of dialysis and breathing machines
If you want to be resuscitated if your breathing or heartbeat stops
Tube feeding
Organ or tissue donation

A durable power of attorney for health care is a document that names your health care proxy. Your proxy is someone you trust to make health decisions for you if you are unable to do so.

https://magazine.medlineplus.gov/article/advance-care-plan-a-checklist-for-the-future

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is serious business folks
Jun 03rd 2019
I had to make some decisions with my pops that were tough.
Jun 03rd 2019
whats the plan with cremation?
Jun 03rd 2019
I've made plans with my cousin to scatter my pops ashes in the ocean
Jun 03rd 2019
My wife wants hers scattered over the ocean
Jun 03rd 2019
      Put me in the ground or an ossuary.
Jun 03rd 2019
i tell everyone the Point in Pittsburgh
Jun 03rd 2019
posted 3/28/18
Jun 03rd 2019

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 08:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This is serious business folks"
In response to Reply # 0

“It was the evidence from science and history that prompted me to abandon my atheism and become a Christian.” — Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:02 AM

2. "I had to make some decisions with my pops that were tough. "
In response to Reply # 0

Especially with all the elders present at the hospital

My wife and I have agreed on cremation.

Keep it nice and simple. Still need to write a will tho.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:16 AM

3. "whats the plan with cremation?"
In response to Reply # 2

meaning, what do you want folks to do with the ashes?

dealing with this right now with my pops ashes.

theyve been with my mom but when i talked to her friday she pretty much was telling me theyre doing more damage then help having them with her.

i brought this up with my brothers over the weekend but they didnt really voice any potential actions to take.

were going to all be together in july so im thinking maybe that would be a good time to do a ceremony at a spot we could scatter them.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:31 AM

4. "I've made plans with my cousin to scatter my pops ashes in the ocean"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jun-03-19 10:32 AM by Case_One

My Cousin is about to be commissioned as the captain of an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer in the United States Navy this year.

My Dad was a 30-year veteran of the Navy who retired as a highly decorated Senior Chief

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:47 AM

5. "My wife wants hers scattered over the ocean"
In response to Reply # 3

I haven’t decided on mine.

I actually like visiting my parents graves tho.

My wife’s aunt was cremated but she still had them buried in a plot at the cemetery.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:52 AM

7. "Put me in the ground or an ossuary. "
In response to Reply # 5

Cremation is not a traditional Christian practice. I need to get up from the grave when Jesus comes back all calls up... LOL

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "i tell everyone the Point in Pittsburgh"
In response to Reply # 2

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Mon Jun-03-19 01:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "posted 3/28/18"
In response to Reply # 0

advanced healthcare directives:
https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/financial-legal/free-printable-advance-directives/

departing decisions checklist:
http://departingdecisions.com/beforedeath-checklist/

Lobby General Discussion topic #13336026 Previous topic | Next topic