Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13334734

Subject: "Educators..about parents that do their kids homework?" Previous topic | Next topic
seasoned vet
Member since Jul 29th 2008
6025 posts
Fri May-24-19 11:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Educators..about parents that do their kids homework?"

how common is this?
have you come across it?
what did you do?
whats your take on these types of parents?

ill never forget, during the last week of school in 2nd grade, the school picked a day for us all to spend with our next years teacher.

they put big sneeches like yellow starts on our chests with our next grade, teachers name, and lined us up to visit our new classroms.

all except 'Pete', Pete still had 2nd grade on his chest with the same teacher. i can still see the look of confusion on his face and how bugged out his eyes were as a whole class of 8 year olds surrounded him pointing at his star and asking him why his still said 2nd grade.

i remember that night my grandmother saying he didnt pass to the next grade because his mom was doing his homework for him.

at the time i didnt understand what that meant. my 8 year old mind just couldnt process a parent doing homework for their child.

years later in 6th grade i had 2 cousins that my grandmother would say the same thing about, their mother does their homework for them.

my grandmother and my aunt were both educators, my aunt at the time, a history teacher. one night i was over my aunts house late on a Sunday and my aunt tells my cousins its time to get ready for school and go in her room to finish their homework

so, my 2 cousins go in her room, pull out her teachers edition book, and sure enough, start copying answers for their homework.

it was then that i understood what my grandmother had been saying about them for years.

ffwd to now, i have an in law outright doing her kids homework. 3 kids, 2 in kindergarten, 1 in 7th grade.

its such a bizarre thing to witness.

cutting and pasting homework assignments for the kindergartners

completely re-doing the 7th graders homework

watching her scramble late night over the 7th graders homework while the 7th grader is in the same room playing playstation or on the computer.

the level of denial

jesus.

never in my adult years did i ever think i would see something like this up close, especially from someone i thought had it all together.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Kindergarteners have homework?
May 24th 2019
lol..that's what I logged in to type. ... not mine...
May 24th 2019
Whew. I was about to be mad as shit.
May 24th 2019
^^ right on time.
May 24th 2019
yeah my son would get a packet for the week
May 24th 2019
yep
May 28th 2019
my son brings homework from Daycare
May 24th 2019
      Dammit
May 24th 2019
           i don't hate it
May 28th 2019
                I get a daily report on what they work on everyday at daycare
May 28th 2019
                     phenomenal save from your (usual) troll attempt
May 28th 2019
I know people who have done it for their kid. I couldn't imagine that...
May 24th 2019
College Educator.
May 24th 2019
My wife gives a lot of in class assignments.
May 24th 2019
      Usually my students dislike it.
May 24th 2019

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Fri May-24-19 11:46 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Kindergarteners have homework? "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri May-24-19 12:03 PM

2. "lol..that's what I logged in to type. ... not mine..."
In response to Reply # 1

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
"Bury me by my Grand-Grand and when you can come follow me"

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri May-24-19 01:55 PM

4. "Whew. I was about to be mad as shit. "
In response to Reply # 2

This post reminds me of the Cosby episode where Rudy’s homework was all wrong because Cliff was making up stories and using bug ass words.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

seasoned vet
6025 posts
Fri May-24-19 12:56 PM

3. "^^ right on time."
In response to Reply # 1

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Fri May-24-19 04:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "yeah my son would get a packet for the week"
In response to Reply # 1

it was usually basic shit. a work sheet with 1 or 2 letters on it. Practing writing that letter capitol and lower case over and over and a word that letter started with. A A A A A A A A a a a a a a a Ant Ant Ant Ant Ant Ant. Then some shit to cut out with scissors and paste onto another sheet. To practice their motor skills. That shit drove me crazy. Watching him slowly cut out the most basic shapes. Then maybe a coloring sheet. Then practicing site words. We could do the whole packet in an hour. But I would spread it out through the week so he had a little something to work on every day after work so he practiced a little bit each day.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue May-28-19 09:41 AM

12. "yep"
In response to Reply # 8

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri May-24-19 05:32 PM

9. "my son brings homework from Daycare"
In response to Reply # 1

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri May-24-19 05:58 PM

10. "Dammit"
In response to Reply # 9

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Tue May-28-19 09:49 AM

13. "i don't hate it"
In response to Reply # 10

its like 5min worth of work and it helps us know what they're learning so we can put stuff in better context and move the needle forward at home

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Tue May-28-19 10:12 AM

14. "I get a daily report on what they work on everyday at daycare"
In response to Reply # 13

I remember a story about teachers AND parents complaining about the amount of homework kids have these days.

Seems a little early to have homework at that age.

seasoned vet
6025 posts
Tue May-28-19 01:01 PM

15. "phenomenal save from your (usual) troll attempt"
In response to Reply # 14

*slow claps*

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri May-24-19 02:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I know people who have done it for their kid. I couldn't imagine that..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-24-19 02:35 PM by Creole

being me.

Sheeeeit! I only helped when my kids proved that they couldn't do iton their own. "Dad, it's hard" was not enough proof. I needed to see them struggle and attempt to find answers, on their own, before I woiuld get involved.

This has to be one of the reasons why we have some many kids and adults, in the world today, who can't think for themselves or who crumble at the thought of having to do anything for themselves.

Edit:
I see those kids, whose parent did their homework (and, by extension, everything else), struggle in real everyday life.

--- praying for peace, love, and power

jane eyre
Member since Jan 16th 2007
715 posts
Fri May-24-19 03:27 PM

6. "College Educator."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri May-24-19 03:33 PM by jane eyre

>how common is this?
Common enough.

Parents and spouses/s.o.'s love to ghost participate in courses.

>have you come across it?
Yes.

When it happens, I use it as an opportunity to talk with students about *their* choices, and how *their* choices might have consequences for what's happening *in class*. I try to advise what the *best* courses of action might be. I emphasize to the student that *they* are taking the course--NOT mom or dad. I tell them that if they wind up failing the course because they choose to continue turning in work that's not their own, it will be *their* grade...NOT mom or dad's.

>what did you do?
I try to make sure a fair amount of major work can only be completed in class (tests, essays, presentations, whatever). When students deny assistance, it's helpful to be able to use the work they've done in class as a frame of reference.

My syllabus is clear about what types of assistance aren't okay, too.

When I give student feedback on an assignment that's been completed by a parent, I plainly tell the student that the syllabus guidelines are clear, emphasize the consequences, and encourage the student to trust that they can get through my course on their own. I usually offer resources for more support, as well. Depending on the circumstance, I go the extra mile to make myself available because sometimes it's hard for kids to say "no" to their parents.

I never directly address parents in student feedback because I already know parents will read it. The clear implication of the feedback is always that mom and dad aren't helping when they do your work, and you have what it takes without them.

9.5 times out of 10, parents stop doing work when I give students feedback about their parents helping them. Of those 9.5 instances, it ALWAYS only takes one mention about the issue for it to stop.

>whats your take on these types of parents?
Obviously it's not helpful. It's cheating, and it's unfair to students who do their own work and let the chips fall where they may.

I get that parents want their kids to have every opportunity to be successful. This gets more complicated, too, when a student has a learning disability or some other issue they have to navigate.

I think some parents are pushing their kids to do what they don't want to do and be what they can't.

It's sad, and encourages a mediocrity that forces kids to be trapped in an awful lie about themselves. Plus, it steamrolls and overlooks the strengths a kid might possess and can develop.

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Fri May-24-19 03:55 PM

7. "My wife gives a lot of in class assignments. "
In response to Reply # 6

jane eyre
Member since Jan 16th 2007
715 posts
Fri May-24-19 08:41 PM

11. "Usually my students dislike it."
In response to Reply # 7

They're so used to using a computer to do their work.
The time it takes to sit and use a pen/pencil and paper frustrates a lot of them!

Lobby General Discussion topic #13334734 Previous topic | Next topic