Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13333826

Subject: "How do you feel about politicians getting ran up on?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Mon May-20-19 01:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: How do you feel about politicians getting ran up on?"

I seen that the Brexit guy got Milkshaked. I am sure it will happen to more politicians.

I've been cool with it happening to Republicans.

https://www.eater.com/2018/10/22/18008498/mitch-mcconnell-protesters-louisville-restaurant

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/24/opinions/heckle-trump-admin-opinion-obeidallah/index.html

But I have to say, I thought Kamala Harris should have mushed this woman

https://kprcradio.iheart.com/featured/the-pursuit-of-happiness/content/2019-04-30-watch-kamala-harris-mocked-in-airport-for-exploiting-hispanics-video/

What say you, are you cool with doing it to people you don't like (knowing that it means your own people will be on the receiving in)

or do you think everyone should be able to go out in peace (or at least there should be a truce so it doesn't happen to people you like)?

Poll result (21 votes)
If the Pol is a terrible person, by all means (13 votes)Vote
Not cool to do to any Politicians (8 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I voted blue.
May 20th 2019
Other than family and kids (i.e. collateral damage) what is out of bound...
May 20th 2019
Folks act all rebellious until they get their jaw rocked, or the...
May 20th 2019
Milkshakings and eggings are fine
May 20th 2019
RE: How do you feel about politicians getting ran up on?
May 20th 2019
I'm grey
May 20th 2019
Depends
May 20th 2019
Throwback to 2000, when the Canadian Prime Minister got a pie
May 20th 2019
LOL ! Never seen that. Amazing.
May 20th 2019
hahaha "a direct hit i might add"
May 21st 2019
Screaming on a politician seems perfectly fair
May 20th 2019
Really tired of political social media events.
May 20th 2019
That's the GOAT.
May 20th 2019
even if the person is a piece of shit, they have a right to react
May 20th 2019
Nah- bc if Politicians start instructing their security team to respond
May 21st 2019
Anybody read Red Harvest?
May 21st 2019
Good Point.
May 21st 2019
      Right, and that accountability is now almost completely absent
May 22nd 2019
just make sure you take time to film it
May 21st 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH54auk02KI
May 21st 2019
once you become public office/figure, there are no rules so be careful
May 21st 2019
It sets a bad precedent but I gotta admit I tend to dislike politicians ...
May 22nd 2019
my mother would disapprove
May 22nd 2019

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Mon May-20-19 01:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I voted blue. "
In response to Reply # 0

But I think buddy that got egg in Australia after the New Zealand shooting deserved it.

Generally I don't think its a good idea.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon May-20-19 01:48 PM

2. "Other than family and kids (i.e. collateral damage) what is out of bound..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-20-19 01:49 PM by bentagain

for public figures?

IMO a national figure should have a better way to deal with public interactions addressing her policy positions

She has a legit question

...time for a selfie...

Like I said in another post

She needs an image consultant

That was a terrible look.

Red...but they don't have to be a terrible person...it's what you signed up for

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13571 posts
Mon May-20-19 01:53 PM

3. "Folks act all rebellious until they get their jaw rocked, or the..."
In response to Reply # 0

...nightsticks come out and they get dragged off somewhere.

If they want to run up on people be prepared to face consequences. Don't be crying later with a black eye talking about "I didn't deserve this"

Oh, and BLUE. I don't support running up on ANYONE unless it's some real shit.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon May-20-19 01:55 PM

4. "Milkshakings and eggings are fine"
In response to Reply # 0

If that's what you mean by run up on

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Mon May-20-19 01:58 PM

5. "RE: How do you feel about politicians getting ran up on?"
In response to Reply # 0

I admit that when that Australian politician got egged, I laughed.

But if you run up on someone like that, unprovoked, and take a shot at them, you kinda deserve it if they catch you & whip your ass.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon May-20-19 02:07 PM

6. "I'm grey"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't see what purpose it serves, ultimately. But I am also not mad at the lady at the Red Hen or whatever restaurant that asked SHS to leave. Did they kick her out because she was terrible, or because she was such a 'controversial figure' that they just didn't want all that $hit in their restaurant PERIOD - also because she was terrible.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Mon May-20-19 02:26 PM

7. "Depends"
In response to Reply # 0

Some of these politicians are playing with people lives

I’m sure that can be said for all of them but if you want to take away peoples healthcare...

that’s different than Warren wanting folks to pay higher taxes to cover healthcare

Ionno. Just seems like the folks on the right who claim they are victims aren’t really suffering physically or mentally from Dems policies.

But I’m sure they have some bullshit reasons.

An egg or milkshake ain’t gonna kill you tho.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon May-20-19 04:19 PM

8. "Throwback to 2000, when the Canadian Prime Minister got a pie"
In response to Reply # 0

right in the face. I believe he got a month, but this was before you were expected to act like being hit with food was literally murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx5IjTGKOyM

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon May-20-19 08:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "LOL ! Never seen that. Amazing. "
In response to Reply # 8

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Tue May-21-19 02:36 PM

19. "hahaha "a direct hit i might add" "
In response to Reply # 8

on the GMO serving politician

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Mon May-20-19 04:28 PM

9. "Screaming on a politician seems perfectly fair"
In response to Reply # 0

they do so much to keep themselves insulated from any of the effects of their actual policies and it's so rare that they hear voices that aren't from people with paid agendas that i think it can be healthy for them to see real people w/real emotion. They shouldn't get safe spaces from the ramifications from their actions.

Physical confrontation seems like a bad idea, though. Not to say that Mitch McConnell doesn't deserve a whole ass whoopin, but the person who does that would pay such a high price for a gesture that wouldn't change anything and likely would make things worse. Doesn't seem a. worth it or b. productive.

If Sarah Huckabee Sanders has to leave a restaurant because people are calling her a revolting liar (which is a statement of fact), then i don't mind.

Still The Shoe Guy from the GW Bush era is still a hero to me.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Mon May-20-19 04:33 PM

10. "Really tired of political social media events."
In response to Reply # 0

So on those grounds, I'm generally not a fan.

The time the Iraqi reporter threw a shoe at GW Bush, that's a classic moment. But it will never be topped.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon May-20-19 08:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "That's the GOAT."
In response to Reply # 10

>The time the Iraqi reporter threw a shoe at GW Bush, that's a
>classic moment. But it will never be topped.

The Iraqi guy had *great* aim (throwing a pretty awkward object) and Bush had even better dodging skills.

What a moment. Wish at least one shoe hit the target cause #FuckBush but then again it's kinda perfect as is I suppose haha.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

EMATI
Charter member
8940 posts
Mon May-20-19 05:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "even if the person is a piece of shit, they have a right to react"
In response to Reply # 0

person that's on offense must be prepared/ready for however the "defense" might play out
that's all i'm saying

silenttype
Member since Jul 27th 2006
2250 posts
Tue May-21-19 07:32 AM

14. "Nah- bc if Politicians start instructing their security team to respond "
In response to Reply # 0

with force- it's gonna be a shitshow.
Better for people to keep their hands and objects to themselves

Bc I know if it was me and somebody ran up....
SHEEEEEIIIIIITTTTTTTT

------

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue May-21-19 08:32 AM

15. "Anybody read Red Harvest?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a deeply crafty move for political leaders to make the world into a place where power and will are the only real rules and then tell people who have to suffer that amoral reality that collective, spontaneous exercise of power by regular people isn't right.

If a politician capitulates to wealthy donors or the whims of the news cycle or the conventional political wisdom of the moment, we look at it and say to ourselves, "Of course - why would you expect this person to behave according to a set of principles?" It's sounds like a fair argument, but it smuggles an "ought" out of an "is" and insists that there is something good and right about accepting things the way they are.

And maybe that's prudent, but I think it makes at least as much sense to view violent political action the same way: as an inevitable force of nature that should be expected when a small, privileged group exercise their corrupt will to dominate. Or, to put it another way, we should do a better job of placing our own action in historical context. Outside of academics and a few weirdo reactionaries, most people understand that it's kind of missing the point to discuss the morality of reacting against corrupt leaders. It was military-trained partisans who killed Mussolini, but it was regular people who took turns spitting and pissing on his corpse.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue May-21-19 08:45 AM

16. "Good Point. "
In response to Reply # 15
Tue May-21-19 08:46 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

It reminds me how I think its self defeating when Protestors are confined to designated protestor only areas. If the protestors agree to limit their protest to the space their opposition ascribes to them, haven't they already lost?

I also think that a democracy goes bad when politicians don't feel the consequences of their actions directly or from their constituents.

In small time local government (where I was raised), you pass a rule someone hates, it gets uncomfortable next time you see people at the grocery store.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed May-22-19 10:03 AM

22. "Right, and that accountability is now almost completely absent"
In response to Reply # 16

Particularly on the national level. You can get voted out of Congress and get right to work as a lobbyist without ever setting foot in your home district where you spend pretty much no time anyway.

------

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue May-21-19 09:09 AM

17. "just make sure you take time to film it "
In response to Reply # 0

for the likes and karma

cuz if you didn't. Did it really happen?

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue May-21-19 10:03 AM

18. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH54auk02KI"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH54auk02KI

damn, I miss Bernie Mac.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

rdhull
Charter member
33133 posts
Tue May-21-19 06:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "once you become public office/figure, there are no rules so be careful"
In response to Reply # 0

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed May-22-19 08:20 AM

21. "It sets a bad precedent but I gotta admit I tend to dislike politicians ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed May-22-19 10:45 AM

23. "my mother would disapprove"
In response to Reply # 0

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Lobby General Discussion topic #13333826 Previous topic | Next topic