Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13329565

Subject: "John Bolton beating those war drums. All options on table re: Venezuela " Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Apr-30-19 02:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"John Bolton beating those war drums. All options on table re: Venezuela "

Tryin get that oil.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/john-bolton-addresses-us-military-involvement-venezuelan-uprising-all-options-are-on-the-table/

“It is a very delicate moment. I want to stress again, the president wants to see a peaceful transfer of power from Maduro to Guaido,” he offered. He then added “That possibility still exists if enough figures depart from the regime and support the opposition. And that is what we would like to see. We want to see the defense minister, the chief judge of the Supreme Court and the presidential guard.”

When asked if the United States might provide any military support, he claimed: “all options are on the table.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
White House building case for Iran war
May 18th 2019
RE: John Bolton beating those war drums. All options on table re: Venezu...
May 18th 2019
Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran
Jun 14th 2019
Trump ordered strike on Iran. Backed out at the last minute
Jun 21st 2019
      trump is to be commended for this.
Jun 21st 2019
      He manufactured the crisis
Jun 21st 2019
      Iran shot down the drone that was striking tankers.. lol
Jun 21st 2019
      are you a NYT columnist?
Jun 21st 2019
      Huh?
Jun 21st 2019
      Agree, I should also be commended for the time I
Jun 21st 2019
      ^
Jun 21st 2019
      In response to all of you:
Jun 21st 2019
      I doubt we'll see anyone critique not launching an attack over this
Jun 21st 2019
      I doubt that’s how it went down
Jun 21st 2019
      But... he hired them
Jun 21st 2019
      We're only in this position to begin with because of him, though
Jun 21st 2019
      if he gets rid of pompeo and bolton then we can talk
Jun 21st 2019
      Imagine if progressives gave as much benefit-of-the-doubt to democrats.....
Jun 21st 2019
      Over a drone?
Jun 21st 2019
      That drone had a family who loved him
Jun 21st 2019
      Drone + tanker bombings. Trying to look for a reason to look hawkish
Jun 21st 2019
      The fact that he has the attention span of a goldfish
Jun 21st 2019
      but reversed his decision after a plan was already underway
Jun 21st 2019
      Apparently he didn't think to ask for how many people might die
Jun 21st 2019
      Ugh, manufactured leak, playing the media like a fiddle.
Jun 21st 2019

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Sat May-18-19 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "White House building case for Iran war"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-administration-has-already-built-its-case-iran-war-n1007281

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Sat May-18-19 07:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: John Bolton beating those war drums. All options on table re: Venezu..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13244683&mesg_id=13244683&listing_type=search#13244692

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Fri Jun-14-19 10:01 AM

3. "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not saying, Iran wasn't involved in this. I'm just saying I know Bolton was smiling ear to ear

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/06/14/iran-removed-mine-off-tanker-targeted-attack-us-says-video-release/1453595001/

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said Friday that Iran was responsible for an attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.

"Iran did do it," he said during a wide-ranging 50-minute interview on Fox News. “It was them that did it.” He also called Iran, "a nation of terror."

The president pointed to a video the U.S. military released, Fox News reported, that officials say shows Iran’s Revolutionary Guard removing an unexploded limpet mine from one of the oil tankers targeted near the Strait of Hormuz. The video suggests that the Islamic Republic sought to remove evidence of its involvement from the scene.

Iran has denied being involved, accusing the U.S. instead of waging an “Iranophobic campaign” against it.

The U.S. Navy rushed to assist the stricken vessels in the Gulf of Oman, off the coast of Iran, including one that was set ablaze Thursday by an explosion.

The ships’ operators offered no immediate explanation on who or what caused the damage against the Norwegian-owned MT Front Altair and the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous. Each was loaded with petroleum products, and the Front Altair burned for hours, sending up a column of thick, black smoke.

Thursday’s attack resembled that of an attack in May targeting four oil tankers off the nearby Emirati port of Fujairah. U.S. officials similarly accused Iran of targeting the ships with limpet mines, which are magnetic and attach to the hulls of a ship. The mines disable, but don’t sink, a vessel.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told journalists on Thursday that the U.S. assessment of Iran’s involvement was based in part on intelligence, as well as the expertise needed for the operation. It was also based on recent incidents in the region, which the U.S. also blamed on Iran, including the use of limpet mines in the Fujairah attack, he said. He also tied Iran to a drone attack by Yemen’s Iranian-backed Houthi rebels on a crucial Saudi oil pipeline around the same time.

“Taken as a whole, these unprovoked attacks present a clear threat to international peace and security, a blatant assault on the freedom of navigation and an unacceptable campaign of escalating tension by Iran,” Pompeo said. He didn’t elaborate and took no questions.

Iran denied being involved in the attacks last month and its foreign minister questioned the timing of Thursday’s incidents, given that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was meeting Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran.

Pompeo noted that Abe had asked Iran to enter into talks with Washington but Tehran “rejected” the overture.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 06:31 AM

4. "Trump ordered strike on Iran. Backed out at the last minute"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Jun-21-19 06:34 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Backed out against the advice of who:John Bolton

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-ordered-military-strike-iran-reversed-sources/story?id=63853570

President Donald Trump ordered a military strike on Iran late Thursday, but reversed his decision after a plan was already underway, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The sources tell ABC News the president’s reason for changing course was unclear, but the reversal was against the advice of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton.

The plan and reversal was first reported by The New York Times.

A senior level administration source briefed on the plan says it would have escalated the situation quickly had it been carried out. Officials feared the attack could have caused hundreds of civilian casualties.

Top politicians from the Senate and House, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, met with administration officials over the downed drone Thursday afternoon.

"The president may not intend to go to war here, but we're worried that he and the administration may bumble into a war," Schumer said.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 08:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "trump is to be commended for this."
In response to Reply # 4

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 08:27 AM

7. "He manufactured the crisis "
In response to Reply # 5

You don’t get credit for resolving an issue you created

“Last week, the United States blamed Iran for attacking two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, despite a lack of any confirmed evidence. Iran has denied the attacks and has repeatedly said it is not seeking war with the U.S.

The U.S. Navy said Wednesday that fragments from a mine that allegedly struck a Japanese-owned tanker last week bear a “strong resemblance” to an Iranian mine; however, the president of the Japanese company has said the vessel was not attacked by mines but two flying objects. The U.N. and other international actors have called for restraint and a de-escalation of tensions.

Meanwhile, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and other top Trump officials have reportedly been linking Iran to al-Qaeda and the Taliban during closed-door briefings with lawmakers, in what Democrats fear could be part of a plan to invoke the 2001 Authorization for the Use of Military Force to attack Iran.”

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79589 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 09:31 AM

14. "Iran shot down the drone that was striking tankers.. lol"
In response to Reply # 7

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 08:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "are you a NYT columnist?"
In response to Reply # 5

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 08:57 AM

9. "Huh?"
In response to Reply # 5

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 09:04 AM

10. "Agree, I should also be commended for the time I"
In response to Reply # 5

went out of my way to trip someone walking down the hall, told him he wasn't going to do shit and threatened to kill him, then when he pushed me back I did my best "YO HOLD ME BACK, HOLD ME BACK" with all my asshole friends pretending to hold me back while I shit myself in fear.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 10:25 AM

20. "^"
In response to Reply # 10

That's the analogy I was looking for.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 09:40 AM

17. "In response to all of you:"
In response to Reply # 5

Pompeo and Bolton/and the military complex are the ones behind beating the war drums.
Look at their careers...they're war hawks, even by American standards.
The military industrial complex has been itching to invade Iran for yers now.
As Commander in chief of the military, Trump stopped an attack on a sovereign nation, at least that day.
I don't think he's a peace advocate at all...but he said no.
He should be commended for it.

Watch the critiques in the media devolve into how weak this makes us look, and how unpresidential Trump is for stpping the attack.

We shouldn't even be considering attacking Iran, at all.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 10:21 AM

19. "I doubt we'll see anyone critique not launching an attack over this"
In response to Reply # 17

If anything, he'll get (rightfully) criticized for ALMOST launching an attack over taking down an unmanned aircraft in disputed territory.

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 10:30 AM

21. "I doubt that’s how it went down"

Trump was prolly like “hell, yeah.. let’s bomb their asses”

errrr.. oh, real war? My war?

“Hoooold up, waaait” - Nate Dogg

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 11:01 AM

22. "But... he hired them"

They'd be sitting at home cashing those spread-freedom-by-blowing-shit-up thinktank checks if he hadn't re-elevated them to positions of influence in spite of literally everybody knowing exactly what they stood for.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 11:05 AM

23. "We're only in this position to begin with because of him, though"

He could've not hired all of those hawks
He could've not pulled out of the Iran deal
He could've not spent this whole week playing up how excited he was to do war

We can't keep setting the bar so low.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 11:26 AM

25. "if he gets rid of pompeo and bolton then we can talk"

stravinskian
12698 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 11:20 AM

24. "Imagine if progressives gave as much benefit-of-the-doubt to democrats....."
In response to Reply # 5

as they give to Trump.

legsdiamond
79589 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 08:25 AM

6. "Over a drone? "
In response to Reply # 4

I know there is more to it but I really hope we aren’t pushed over the edge by a drone being shot down.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 09:05 AM

11. "That drone had a family who loved him"
In response to Reply # 6

Today, we are all murder-drones.

------

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 09:08 AM

12. "Drone + tanker bombings. Trying to look for a reason to look hawkish"
In response to Reply # 6

When you are slipping on the polls like a drunk fireman, the easiest cure is to drum up a proxy war in the news cycle. For the most part, Americans thought of this exactly like you did and he backed out. Nothing to do with convictions or it being a "provocation" by the Iranians, purely a hedge on perception of his base. Ultimately, he's a chickenshit who would rather be a waffler than a proven villain, so he called it off.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 09:09 AM

13. "The fact that he has the attention span of a goldfish"
In response to Reply # 4

Is going to be the difference between us starting another pointless war in the Middle East. We just have to spend the next year and a half hoping he gets too focused on his big beautiful wall or what they're saying on The View to authorize an invasion of Iran.

The next GOP president won't be this dumb.

------

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 09:35 AM

15. "but reversed his decision after a plan was already underway"
In response to Reply # 4

what??? if there is a plan underway why is that being reported?

nothing about this is good.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 09:38 AM

16. "Apparently he didn't think to ask for how many people might die"
In response to Reply # 15

until the last minute.

That's coming from 45's Twitter, but even if it's true, why is that the LAST thing you ask about?

------

stravinskian
12698 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 10:19 AM

18. "Ugh, manufactured leak, playing the media like a fiddle. "
In response to Reply # 4

They reported this bullshit for a whole day and only now are some news reports noting that it doesn't make any sense. So he pulled out because of casualty estimates, but he didn't have casualty estimates until AFTER the strike had been ordered? Ten minutes before the missiles were supposed to fly? Really Donald? Is that how it works?

It was a complete, obvious, bullshit bluff on Trump's part. Just like sending the perfectly round number of troops to the region in the first place. He ordered this strike with absolutely no intention of going through with it. Someone in the WH leaked the story to the Times (at least that's where I saw it first) knowing that they'd eat up any shit like this and report it as breaking news. And then when the rest of the manufactured story is released it sounds like "Trump was very serious! This guy is crazy! He'll go to war at the drop of a hat! We're all lucky he chose to be the bigger man THIS TIME!"

They think they're signalling to the Iranian government that he'll go to war, and they also think they're signalling to the American people that he takes casualties seriously. Neither is true. It's the kind of transparent bluff you'd see from a middle schooler.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13329565 Previous topic | Next topic