Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13327641

Subject: "Are you a member of any Associations or Unions?" Previous topic | Next topic
Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 11:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Are you a member of any Associations or Unions?"

Specifically beyond the industry you work in?

With all of the juice police unions seemingly have, especially when it comes to the way they are protected in scenarios of unjust violence perpetrated against innocent people, couldn't new unions/associations be created in response.

For example:
An answer could be, a union for anyone who's been stopped unjustly by police. It would be a vehicle to unite for advocacy of better oversight legislation, or organizing a simple boycott of, or the lobbying of, specific insurance companies who underwrite the policies cities use to pay victim's families in civil cases, after a killer cop walks free on a criminal case. Then when those cities are stuck with the liability without insurance, I bet they'll then find ways for their police forces to end the unjust murder and harm.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The ACLU is for that right? There may be more
Apr 22nd 2019
Yeah there's the ACLU, the NAACP, the SPLC and the Urban League.
Apr 22nd 2019
      militant street level organizing gives orgs like this more
Apr 23rd 2019
      yes, the ILWU are exactly the example I'm attempting to describe
Apr 23rd 2019
      I think a concentrated effort on specific issues could be effective
Apr 24th 2019
i do solidarity work with black lives matter
Apr 23rd 2019
That's excellent
Apr 23rd 2019

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The ACLU is for that right? There may be more "
In response to Reply # 0

It's just that we live in a world that prefers evil to good so groups like police unions will always have more power

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 03:05 PM

2. "Yeah there's the ACLU, the NAACP, the SPLC and the Urban League."
In response to Reply # 1

But they clearly aren't enough.
You don't think an even more concentrated association, which could more broadly attract membership based on very specific solitary issues and only being about that would increase effectiveness?

I'm a member of multiple associations for work, all broadly representing the same interests, but some represent particular interests differently. They also all work in cooperation for advocacy efforts.
Using the Police Union example again, in the NYPD each rank has their own Union & Benevolent Society...beyond the FOP.

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Tue Apr-23-19 10:34 AM

4. "militant street level organizing gives orgs like this more"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Apr-23-19 10:39 AM by rawsouthpaw

ability to really move. true for politicians too.

here and there you find solidarity actions, and the power of the west coast longshore port workers often goes beyond their sector.

https://www.salon.com/2018/05/01/do-not-like-war-then-do-not-work-remembering-when-dockworkers-shut-down-the-ports-on-may-day_partner/

teachers unions are probably the most pervasive and effective means of organizing in some ways. the national parent unions are weak, and we need to change that.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-23-19 10:42 AM

5. "yes, the ILWU are exactly the example I'm attempting to describe"
In response to Reply # 4

they're largely independent and to advance their issues have severed ties to their umbrella orgs.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Apr-24-19 05:04 AM

7. "I think a concentrated effort on specific issues could be effective "
In response to Reply # 2

Today's climate is what makes me believe it wouldn't be super effective. Americans in general are still too comfortable IMO. Seems like people really have to be under extreme pressure in order to get any real traction from coordinated group efforts

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Tue Apr-23-19 10:32 AM

3. "i do solidarity work with black lives matter"
In response to Reply # 0

at least one of the founders is from LA and her localized resistance has won gains beyond the incredible victories of black lives matter.
for example our actions and their long time organizing prevented the opening of a massive new jail which instead will be a massive mental health facility.

1 year ago:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-black-lives-matter-protests-jail-expansion-20170926-story.html

now:
http://justicelanow.org/we-made-history-but-the-fight-isnt-over/

WE MADE HISTORY. BUT THE FIGHT ISN’T OVER.
HOMENEWS WE MADE HISTORY. BUT THE FIGHT ISN’T OVER.

We made history. But the fight isn’t over.

Last week, Justice LA and many other organizations and community members turned out in force to actualize the vision of generations of organizing. A sea of orange shirts filled the room as a reminder to the Supervisors and to each other that people power makes the impossible possible. The women’s jail (Mira Loma) was rejected outright and the mental health jail plan (CCTF) was shifted to instead build a mental health treatment facility! Our victories are a culmination of nearly a decade of activism by advocates, community members, individuals and families impacted by incarceration. Through our collective work, we have not only stopped the jail expansion plan for LA County, we have shifted the entire paradigm away from a reliance on jails to health and human services.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-23-19 10:54 AM

6. "That's excellent"
In response to Reply # 3

Blindly, I never think of BLM in that way. But I guess they're also a version of what I'm poorly describing.

As another example, the topic of abortion - prochoice.org is the National Abortion Federation's website. There are at least 10 other related associations fighting the same cause.

There are no associations specifically designed to overcome police violence. While there are plenty to protect violent police.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13327641 Previous topic | Next topic