Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13327209

Subject: "People donating money for Notre Dame is the most" Previous topic | Next topic
FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"People donating money for Notre Dame is the most"

absurd thing......
It's like donating money to Microsoft to help rebuild Windows

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
especially after 3 churches were
Apr 18th 2019
Yep silver lining. Saw it at like $1.3 mil ?! Good.
Apr 18th 2019
can't tell folk how to spend their money
Apr 18th 2019
it feels like people too used to money not being allocated properly
Apr 18th 2019
      either that or its an emotional response
Apr 18th 2019
True. It inspired me to donate to the Black churches tho.
Apr 18th 2019
IDC but it does show how fast we could solve problems with uber-wealth
Apr 18th 2019
Billionaires, trying to purchase their way into heaven
Apr 18th 2019
They still gonna budget engineer it with OSB, drywall...
Apr 18th 2019
Seems a real god could have just, you know, not allowed the fire at all
Apr 18th 2019
They don't even believe in god lol, funniest part
Apr 18th 2019
It's about what you do with your OWN money that matters.
Apr 19th 2019
Actually, it's not. Way to grossly oversimplify.
Apr 19th 2019
Actually, it is that simple.
Apr 19th 2019
      No, it's just that *you* are that simple.
Apr 19th 2019
           Nah, you just hate facts
Apr 19th 2019
                You have two wildly out of context quotes in your sig.
Apr 19th 2019
                     ROTFL. You're attacking my sig.
Apr 19th 2019
                          ....as a direct response to your trite assertion that I "hate facts"
Apr 19th 2019
                               And you're on the Atheist Struggle Bus
Apr 19th 2019
                                    That struggle is over. If I hated facts, I'd still be a christian.
Apr 19th 2019
                                         You’re too weak to be a christian.
Apr 19th 2019
                                              A great example of weakness
Apr 20th 2019
                                                   👌🏾🔥
Apr 20th 2019
Agreed. Let those dumb fucks do what they want
Apr 21st 2019
      Basically. Smart or dumb, IDK.
Apr 22nd 2019
Between the Church and the French government, there's more than enough
Apr 19th 2019
The church not footing the bill says it all
Apr 19th 2019
notre dame was a beautiful piece of history open to everyone
Apr 19th 2019
Lmao
Apr 20th 2019
I've been twice. It's a great place......
Apr 20th 2019
Round about way to say you've seen the place.
Apr 21st 2019
Round about way to say you've seen the place.
Apr 21st 2019

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "especially after 3 churches were"
In response to Reply # 0

torched in LA. at least the donations for them went up after Notre Dame.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 03:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Yep silver lining. Saw it at like $1.3 mil ?! Good."
In response to Reply # 1

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 03:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "can't tell folk how to spend their money"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean you CAN, but it's a fools errand methinks

There's a whole lot of things I wouldn't give towards (especially that) but on the flip, there's a whole lot i *DO* spend/give towards that others could easily think foolish

I *am* kinda fascinated at that folks are moved to action by though

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 04:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"it feels like people too used to money not being allocated properly"

to understand that this is already set up to be taken care of.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 04:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "either that or its an emotional response"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-18-19 04:09 PM by Selah

..or maybe even a "look at me" one (folks... rich and poor... like to stunt)

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 03:56 PM

4. "True. It inspired me to donate to the Black churches tho. "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 04:01 PM

5. "IDC but it does show how fast we could solve problems with uber-wealth"
In response to Reply # 0

Think if we put the trillions spent on death machines or the wealth of the .001% toward ameliorating hunger, eradicating homelessness and creating access to medical care. This is just another striking example of how quickly we could improve the world with resources that we are either wasting or hoarding.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 04:04 PM

6. "Billionaires, trying to purchase their way into heaven "
In response to Reply # 0

Since Jesus was all about material idolatry, not actual people and their welfare.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 06:14 PM

8. "They still gonna budget engineer it with OSB, drywall..."
In response to Reply # 0

...aluminum siding and stone veneer.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44846 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 10:32 PM

9. "Seems a real god could have just, you know, not allowed the fire at all "
In response to Reply # 0

And, instead, wrote the desire to do other, more productive and tangibly beneficial shit with those funds.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 10:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "They don't even believe in god lol, funniest part"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 06:35 AM

11. "It's about what you do with your OWN money that matters."
In response to Reply # 0

Many of the same folks that are made about people donating their money to the cause of their own choosing (Notre Dame church) haven't donated one dime or nickel to the cause that they believe others should be donating.

It's their money, they can do what they want with it. Too Easy.

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” ~ Albert Einstein

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Cold Truth
44846 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 07:57 AM

12. "Actually, it's not. Way to grossly oversimplify. "
In response to Reply # 11

This isn't about something as simple as "being mad about what other people do with their money".

We aren't discussing mundane money spent by mundane people on mundane things.

You would have a valid argument if this was about the raw materialism of individuals. But it's not.

This isn't about the collective choice made by extremely wealthy people who rushed to save the day for what amounts to a building.

This isn't about how they spend their money. It's about what cause this sect of society collectively chooses to support at the drop of a hat.......in direct contrast to what they are not, but could, be doing to alleviate significant socially economic problems.

This talking point about how people of comparatively meager means don't spend a nickel on these causes is asinine, because it's contextually irrelevant.

Sure, there's a lesson to be learned about how mindful we should be about how we do and don't support certain causes. But again...that's not the issue at hand. Be

They can spend their money on whatever they want. It's theirs. Great. Cool. But when "they" collectively rush to pledge funding to save a building, even a cultural and historical landmark, it is valid to critique this action in light of the considerable good that could be done if they cared as much about people as they do about a building.

The comparative nickels you, me, him and her can throw at housing, hunger and education does nothing but kick a can slightly down the road. It's something, to be sure. But it says something about what "they" value when they could actually alleviate some of these problems to a comparatively significant degree.

This isn't at all a generic issue about other people's money. Save that shit for the stewardship series at church.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 09:01 AM

15. "Actually, it is that simple. "
In response to Reply # 12

People can choose to distribute their funds legally as they choose. You don't have to like it nor are you required to have a say in the process of any private funds that are donated or to where they are donated.

What you should be foucsed on is how and where to distribute your own funds.

Live with that fact and you'll be alright.

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” ~ Albert Einstein

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Cold Truth
44846 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 09:08 AM

16. "No, it's just that *you* are that simple."
In response to Reply # 15

You're complety ignoring the context of the actual issue people have, and applying an overly simplistic, low common denominator argument that doesn't apply to the actual issue people have with it.

Try a little nuance for once.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 09:20 AM

17. "Nah, you just hate facts"
In response to Reply # 16

The issue isn't with the people that have the money. The issue is with the people that don't have the money who believe that they would be better stewards of someone else's wealth. When the sad fact is that most people are scared of large amounts of money, can't properly manage the money they currently have and don't really want the responsibility of carrying any real philanthropic weight.

The same folks that are upset about Billionaires and other's donating to ND will refuse to donate $5 a month to a charity that needs it.

Why? Because people are FREE to do whatever they are legally allowed to do with their money and you like others just can't accept that fact.

Manage your own money and become the change you are waiting on others to be.

Cold Truth
44846 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 09:42 AM

18. "You have two wildly out of context quotes in your sig."
In response to Reply # 17

The full context of both quotes, much less the broader viewpoints of the men quoted, do not coincide with the message you think is conveyed when presented apart from the whole of those quotes.

The person who hates facts is the one who does shit like that.

This isn't a matter of opinion or debate, it's an observable and verifiable fact that's on display every time you post, regardless of what you post.

You could post about how much you love the new iPhone, and those signs would still say "by the way, I like to quote people out of context as a way of confirming my own biases".

There's no greater example of someone who hates facts than a religious person who does shit like that.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 10:59 AM

19. "ROTFL. You're attacking my sig."
In response to Reply # 18

Man, you're so washed.

Cold Truth
44846 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 11:06 AM

20. "....as a direct response to your trite assertion that I "hate facts""
In response to Reply # 19
Fri Apr-19-19 11:09 AM by Cold Truth

There's nothing "washed" about pointing out blatant and egregious hypocrisy.

There's nothing washed about doing so in direct response so a specific assertion.

It's not as though I went on some irrelevant side tangent, in order to deflect from the subject at hand. That's your gimmick

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 11:09 AM

21. "And you're on the Atheist Struggle Bus"
In response to Reply # 20

WASHED!

Cold Truth
44846 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 11:21 AM

22. "That struggle is over. If I hated facts, I'd still be a christian."
In response to Reply # 21

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 10:58 PM

24. "You’re too weak to be a christian."
In response to Reply # 22

Cold Truth
44846 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 12:19 AM

25. "A great example of weakness"
In response to Reply # 24

Is someone quotes people put of context in order to help solidify a delusion.

Weakness drives people to misrepresent facts to support their position, when actual facts that support their position are non existent.

Weakness causes people to insert magic into gaps in their knowledge to account for those gaps.

Weakness is an inability to simply admit that they do know the answer to a question.

Weakness does all of these things, and when these things are pointed put in real time, simply ignores them.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 08:18 AM

27. "👌🏾🔥"
In response to Reply # 25

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Sun Apr-21-19 08:53 AM

29. "Agreed. Let those dumb fucks do what they want "
In response to Reply # 11

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 10:18 AM

31. "Basically. Smart or dumb, IDK. "
In response to Reply # 29

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 08:03 AM

13. "Between the Church and the French government, there's more than enough"
In response to Reply # 0

to rebuild.

Reminds me of all the post 9/11 blood drives people had that were all for nothing.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 08:49 AM

14. "The church not footing the bill says it all"
In response to Reply # 13

Vatican has the money in their spare change jars to rebuild it on their own, but where are they?

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 04:06 PM

23. "notre dame was a beautiful piece of history open to everyone"
In response to Reply # 0

i've been there and as an agnostic i'd donate as well..if possible you should travel and open your mind a bit more, this reads like a terrible facebook post

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 08:13 AM

26. "Lmao "
In response to Reply # 23

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 08:31 AM

28. "I've been twice. It's a great place......"

But it has more than enough fiscal means to rebuild.
My beef isn't with Notre Dame.....

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Sun Apr-21-19 09:03 AM

"Round about way to say you've seen the place. "

I've been a couple of times. It's beautiful and it's still a terrible allocation of limited resources for people to send so much money to rebuild it. Not only do they have insurance, the Catholic church is worth trillions.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Sun Apr-21-19 09:03 AM

30. "Round about way to say you've seen the place. "

I've been a couple of times. It's beautiful and it's still a terrible allocation of limited resources for people to send so much money to rebuild it. Not only do they have insurance, the Catholic church is worth trillions.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13327209 Previous topic | Next topic