Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13326969

Subject: "Having bootup problems with my HP laptop." Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Apr-17-19 06:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Having bootup problems with my HP laptop."

Hey,

I have an 2016 HP laptop which has run well without any major problems besides a hard drive which failed a couple of years ago.

The bootup issue happens very rarely, but has happened twice in the past three months. I don't remember what happened last time, but today my computer was placed in Sleep mode and when the power button was pressed to restart the computer, nothing happened. It's worth noting that the batter was fully charged at this time.

Then the power button was pressed repeatedly, sometimes for up to 10 seconds at a time.

After the computer sat still for a minute or so, the computer powered on after the power button was pressed.

So, for now everything's good. But I'm getting a bit concerned about the health of my laptop.

Would any of you think the issue could be with the motherboard or power supply? If so, how would I troubleshoot those issues?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
What's the model?
Apr 17th 2019
The model number is 15-ac143wm if that means anything
Apr 18th 2019
      Dang, that's tough.... If you end up buying new, consider Mac...
Apr 18th 2019
      next time...
Apr 18th 2019
      RE: next time...
Apr 18th 2019
      Update
Apr 18th 2019
           Refurbished MacBook is a good deal too..... Honestly, I couldn't afford
Apr 19th 2019
           Thanks for the recommendation.
Apr 19th 2019
           XPS is real good but get the extended warranty
Apr 19th 2019
                Thanks
Apr 20th 2019
I've never been a fan of "hibernate" mode
Apr 18th 2019

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Wed Apr-17-19 07:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "What's the model?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-17-19 07:51 PM by Mafamaticks

Certain HP laptops have issues waking up from sleep. It also doesn't help now that in Windows 10 fast boot replaced a standard shut down.

Normally holding down the power button for about 60 seconds (the power button will flash and then turn off) and then turning back on will get it working, bit depending on the model it might keep happening.

I'd check to make sure your BIOS is updated along with any other drivers first and foremost. Then disable hibernate and see how that goes.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 07:01 PM

3. "The model number is 15-ac143wm if that means anything"
In response to Reply # 1

I bought it in '16 but the model I think was released back in '14.

Actually today, there's a new problem. The computer isn't drawing power from the cord. I ordered a new power cord just to confirm the current cord isn't the problem, but I'm guessing the power supply in the laptop is on its last legs.

And I just bought some more RAM for this thing. It's held up well doing web development and some low-end multimedia production. But I may be in the market for a new laptop.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 08:09 PM

4. "Dang, that's tough.... If you end up buying new, consider Mac..."
In response to Reply # 3

I made the switch in 2012...
15" Mac Book Pro...
It's still my only and daily computer...
I run it hard too...
Adobe Lightroom
Parallels running windows 10 pro so that I can run Autodesk Revit which it does just fine despite what the computer store clowns would lead you to believe.
I spent around $2100 on it brand new I believe...
So nearly 7 years...I think it was a good investment

jimaveli
Charter member
6613 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 09:19 PM

5. "next time..."
In response to Reply # 3

>I bought it in '16 but the model I think was released back in
>'14.
>
>Actually today, there's a new problem. The computer isn't
>drawing power from the cord. I ordered a new power cord just
>to confirm the current cord isn't the problem, but I'm
>guessing the power supply in the laptop is on its last legs.
>
>And I just bought some more RAM for this thing. It's held up
>well doing web development and some low-end multimedia
>production. But I may be in the market for a new laptop.

Next time, you gotta just download that RAM.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 10:53 PM

6. "RE: next time..."
In response to Reply # 5

>Next time, you gotta just download that RAM.

LOL!

#backinthedaywheniwasjustakid

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 10:57 PM

7. "Update"
In response to Reply # 3

It turns out that today's issue wasn't my laptop.

The issue with my laptop not recognizing external power happened at the library. This library has a work table which has power outlets.

Now, I did try at least four of the outlets which made me think my laptop has a problem. But when I brought the laptop home to pull off any data, the laptop now recognizes power coming in through the cord.

But the point about getting an Apple is an interesting one. I've never owned a Mac but have always wanted one. But I just can't justify the cost at my current income level. I may buy a used SurfaceBook or get a Dell XPS 15".

But for now, I'm okay.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 12:23 PM

8. "Refurbished MacBook is a good deal too..... Honestly, I couldn't afford"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Apr-19-19 12:23 PM by FLUIDJ

It either so I did the 18 month financing thing. Of all the things I've financed in my entire life, this MacBook I've owned and used the longest so far. That includes cars.....
I've never paid off a mortgage, so I don't include that.
BTW, I'm 42 years old...

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 06:29 PM

9. "Thanks for the recommendation."
In response to Reply # 8

Thankfully, my laptop still has some legs so I can put off buying a new machine until my finances allow for the budget for a more powerful machine, even if it is a refurbished Mac.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 07:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "XPS is real good but get the extended warranty"
In response to Reply # 7

the port for the power cable is not strong and will break.

macs...depends on what you want. They're really expensive and the experience just isn't there in recent years imo

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 06:07 PM

11. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 10

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 06:38 AM

2. "I've never been a fan of "hibernate" mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Basically saves the state of your computer (all open applications, processes and what's in RAM) to the hard drive before powering down. That could mean gigs of data being written and read, which can take some time. Not sure if that's what you're using but if so this might be your problem.

Make sure there aren't any background processes slowing things up or preventing sleep either.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13326969 Previous topic | Next topic