Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13324699

Subject: "Tips to help cultivate a Rest in an "I'm So Busy" Culture" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 10:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tips to help cultivate a Rest in an "I'm So Busy" Culture"

This is very helpful read because the fact is that we help create our own busy lifestyle and it's unhealthy. I hope that the content blesses someone.

How to Cultivate a Spirit of Rest in an "I'm So Busy" Culture
Betsy St. Amant Haddox

Lately when someone asks me how I’ve been, my automatic answer is “busy.” This isn’t a cop-out to avoid sharing, it’s simply the truth.

We’re a busy people—and we made ourselves that way. In fact, even when we aren’t actually busy, we feel busy because we over-stimulate in our downtime with social media or some form of screen in our face. There’s nothing relaxing and refreshing about scrolling aimlessly past everyone else’s highlight reel in life. Doing so typically conjures up feelings of inadequacy and irritation, and ironically, leads to hours of wasted time.

We’ve put ourselves on the hamster wheel and then whine at the constant squeak.

I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to jump off the spinning wheel. I’m ready to be present and engaged in the moment with the face in front of me, with their hand tucked in mine. I want to see and hear and live real life, and even more than that, I want to protect it. Doing so starts with creating white space in our life—and that means facing some pretty legit fears.

I believe that the main reason we stay so busy is twofold:

1. We’re afraid of the silence.

Silence makes us face our thoughts, rather than drown them out. When we aren’t rushing around like crazy, overscheduling our days, and crashing into bed just to do it all again the next day, we don’t have time for self-reflection. We’re not still before the Lord to hear Him guide us or correct us or heal our wounds. Who has time for conviction and repentance when there are classes to attend, corporate ladders to climb, soccer games to rush to, and even church services to volunteer at? We have to make white space in our lives if we’re going to claim them.

Psalm 46:10 ESV “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

2. We’re getting our identity from what we accomplish.

This one is true for women of all stages in life—we all struggle with labels, finding our identity, and maintaining a healthy self-esteem. It’s hard. But I think this challenge is especially difficult for moms. As mother, we tend to get shoved to the backburner. We’re busy taking care of everyone else, so it’s easy to attempt to find our value through our kids. If our kids are successful, it somehow automatically makes us successful, too. So we rush to the next sports game and aim for the next Straight A’s report card and sign up for the next competition or pageant in order to prove ourselves. Instead of carving in time for family dinners, family devotionals, and down-time for overstimulated minds, we stuff our faces with fast food in two different cars on the way to two different events, and hurry to the illusive “next.”

Our ‘Fear of Missing Out’ Culture and What Jesus Offers Us Instead

Our culture today has two extremes. One extreme is the entitled right to say no, the arrogant “you’re not worth my time or consideration” posture, which promotes pride and the motto “treat yourself.” The other is the extreme of saying yes to everything possible in order to get ahead and stay ahead, make a mark, and leave an impression. Neither extreme is healthy. Unfortunately, we tend to migrate toward one or the other.

Instead, we should stop being afraid of being unplugged. The fear of missing out (FOMO) is a legit diagnosis now. People grow panicked and anxious when they feel disconnected from social media or other networks for a time. What they don’t realize is that the connection they experience there is in many ways, false. They’re starving themselves of true connection—with the Lord and with fellow believers—by investing their time in the wrong places. It’s a vicious cycle.

Meanwhile, Jesus offers something real.

Matthew 11:28 ESV “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

I want this rest that Jesus promises. I want to be still and know that He is Lord. I want to stop holding on to busy like it’s a shield that guards me from the vulnerability, connection, and godly fellowship that we crave.

If you’re feeling that same way – at a breaking point and in need of a serious life change to kick the busy and find rest, here are three easy ways to “un-busy” your life:

1. Fight Back against Our Culture of Busy by Intentionally Unplugging

Disconnect from technology for a period of time. Whether this is for an hour a day or for a week straight, get off social media. Turn the TV off and put your phone down—no texting, no calling, no screen time at all, unless it’s an e-book—and look into the eyes of the people around you. Be present.

2. Practice Saying No.

Turn down invitations. Then, the hard part—don’t immediately fill it back up again. Keep white space in your life. Don’t sign your kid up for that three-times-a-week-practice this season. Say no when you’re asked volunteer to teach a class. Allow some room so the Lord will reveal His purposes and plans for how you should fill your days. You never know what blessing might be around the corner that you now have time for!

3. Prioritize Rest Even When Everyone Around You is Chasing Busy.

When we clear our schedules and stop clinging to busy, we’re able to hear the heartbeat of our real passions. You might have a burden for a certain cause or organization or people group that you don’t yet realize, because you’ve never had time to get involved. You might discover that you love cooking and could have a ministry there, but you never knew before because you’re always eating on the run. Instead of trying to do everything and spreading ourselves so thin that we’re ineffective and exhausted, we can do a few smaller things, and do them well.

Your turn!

What has helped you fight (and win) the battle for true rest in a culture that prioritizes busyness? Let us know your best strategies in the comments section!

Betsy St. Amant Haddox is the author of fourteen inspirational romance novels and novellas. She resides in north Louisiana with her newlywed hubby, two story-telling young daughters, a collection of Austen novels, and an impressive stash of Pickle Pringles. Betsy has a B.A. in Communications and a deep-rooted passion for seeing women restored in Christ. When she's not composing her next book or trying to prove unicorns are real, Betsy can usually be found somewhere in the vicinity of a white-chocolate mocha. Look for her latest novel with HarperCollins, LOVE ARRIVES IN PIECES, and POCKET PRAYERS FOR FRIENDS with Max Lucado. Visit her at http://www.betsystamant.com./

https://www.crosswalk.com/family/career/how-to-cultivate-a-spirit-of-rest-in-an-i-m-so-busy-culture.html

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” ~ Albert Einstein

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
people use I'm so busy because they want to more than being busy
Apr 05th 2019
That's a good question.
Apr 05th 2019
A lot of this is good stuff. I don't rock with it 100%...but there are
Apr 05th 2019
Yeah man. I know I need some of this.
Apr 05th 2019
i was addicted to all-nighters
Apr 05th 2019
Have you freed up the time to do non work related stuff?
Apr 05th 2019
Cutting out things like jesus, the bible, church, etc is a great start
Apr 05th 2019
This is the most absolute dumbest statement...
Apr 06th 2019
      I was serious when I said CT is one of those annoying atheist
Apr 06th 2019
      You're serious about all the basic shit you say though.
Apr 06th 2019
      This is why I ignored his sad and desperate response
Apr 08th 2019
           Except my response was 100% on topic.
Apr 08th 2019
                Man. You must still pee in the bed to be this salty about life.
Apr 08th 2019
                     You arrive at conclusions in really strange ways.
Apr 08th 2019
                     Ok. Man. I'm gonna love you anyway.
Apr 08th 2019
                          what does that mean?
Apr 08th 2019
                          I meant "You'll bend the knee one day. They all will."
Apr 08th 2019
                               So we've established that these words were written in a book
Apr 08th 2019
                                    Love you Bruh!
Apr 08th 2019
                                         If you loved me, bruh, you'd take the time to have an actual discussion
Apr 08th 2019
                                              Love you Bruh!
Apr 09th 2019
                                                   Psst... writing something doesn't make it true
Apr 09th 2019
                          Except your demeanor is anything but "loving"
Apr 08th 2019
                               Love you Bruh!
Apr 08th 2019
Apr 08th 2019
      The most absolute dumbest statements on okp
Apr 06th 2019
           Absolutely not
Apr 06th 2019
                You believe in the devil. An actual devil.
Apr 06th 2019
                     What on earth are you talking about?
Apr 06th 2019
I cut out TV, social media and consumerism-as-entertainment...
Apr 05th 2019
Seem to go back an forth with TV and social media
Apr 05th 2019
Love to be still and know that He is Lord
Apr 05th 2019
Yeah, the gram can be a trap.
Apr 05th 2019
I enjoy putting the phone away in the bedroom....
Apr 06th 2019
Sometimes I for leave my phone home during walks -
Apr 08th 2019
This is what I do a lot of times. Leave the phone on the charger...
Apr 08th 2019
America is in a restless state
Apr 08th 2019
I’ve been slowing way down. Stressing less and relaxing more
Apr 08th 2019

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 11:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "people use I'm so busy because they want to more than being busy"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-05-19 11:02 AM by Atillah Moor

Meaning I wonder if people are really busy or is that most of us just get to a point where we want to keep our heads down and not extend ourselves?

Everything looks like Oprah kissing Harvey Weinstein these days

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 11:12 AM

2. "That's a good question. "
In response to Reply # 1

Some folks may create their business so that they don't have to participate in meeting the needs of their community at any level. Others may want to hide from having to be a responsible steward of their gifts - meaning they just want to hide in a simple routine of life and not have to be counted on for anything.

But I think the article's core message is that being too busy is not healthy and prevents us from experiencing an abundant life of wonder, newness, great community, etc..

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” ~ Albert Einstein

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44604 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 11:28 AM

3. "A lot of this is good stuff. I don't rock with it 100%...but there are"
In response to Reply # 0

definitely some nuggets of solid advice.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 11:32 AM

4. "Yeah man. I know I need some of this."
In response to Reply # 3

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 12:38 PM

5. "i was addicted to all-nighters"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-05-19 12:38 PM by hardware

i was talking to a peer yesterday. Doing commercial art, its very easy to fall into the trap of trying to do everything and we're getting to the age where we appreciate specializing.

i used to try and work an a lot of things at once but i started making changes like charging more so i can have less pots going, and exercise. Even after this i was still finding myself up til like 3 or 4 'working'. i claimed it was insomnia or that i had just ruined my clock, but i was really just up looking for shit to do or having Illustrator or Blender or Scrivner open either doing or trying to do something. On youtube looking at tutorials for shit i had no bandwith for, etc.

next morning i'm late to work and useless until like 2p and the cycle starts over.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 02:25 PM

9. "Have you freed up the time to do non work related stuff?"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Apr-05-19 02:25 PM by Case_One

Like, things that are more focused on enjoying or exploring things out and about?

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44805 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 12:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Cutting out things like jesus, the bible, church, etc is a great start"
In response to Reply # 0

The amount of time gained after shedding those albatrosses is significant.

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 08:19 AM

12. "This is the most absolute dumbest statement..."
In response to Reply # 6

but to each their own.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79331 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 08:28 AM

14. "I was serious when I said CT is one of those annoying atheist "
In response to Reply # 12

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 08:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "You're serious about all the basic shit you say though."
In response to Reply # 14

The issue is that you want me to "keep it to myself", while at the same time wanting religious people to simply be allowed to believe whatever it is they believe.

Religion can be promoted everywhere, all day, every day, and you seem to be ok with the echo chamber of amens in the crowd. No issue there.

But you don't want to hear or see a response that doesn't buy in. That's what annoys you; you want people to be able to spit their unsupported bullshit unchallenged.

You're very likely the guy who swears he "has no problem with the gays", just as long as they keep it to themselves. After all, you're not all in their face about your heterosexuality.

Same mentality here.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 09:27 AM

21. "This is why I ignored his sad and desperate response"
In response to Reply # 14

Dude is always looking for attention and affirmation via argument. I can only imagine dealing with this cat in person. SMH

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 10:58 AM

23. "Except my response was 100% on topic."
In response to Reply # 21

You're the one who presented a mundane topic that managed to shoehorn Jesus into the mix.

I presented the single most contextually relevant response possible.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 01:40 PM

24. "Man. You must still pee in the bed to be this salty about life."
In response to Reply # 23

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 02:00 PM

25. "You arrive at conclusions in really strange ways."
In response to Reply # 24

How you managed to deduce that a completely relevant, on-topic response to a question you posed, that just so happens to disagree with your worldview somehow equates to being "salty about life", is baffling.

If all you want is glad-handing and ass-grabbing delusion in response to your religion posts, post them somewhere that you can control who responds, and how.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 03:11 PM

27. "Ok. Man. I'm gonna love you anyway."
In response to Reply # 25

You'll bed the knee one day. They all will.

tariqhu
Charter member
17859 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "what does that mean?"
In response to Reply # 27

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 06:08 PM

31. "I meant "You'll bend the knee one day. They all will." "
In response to Reply # 28

The Bible says, 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.' ~ Romans 14:11

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 08:28 PM

33. "So we've established that these words were written in a book"
In response to Reply # 31

How did you establish that said words are in fact the words of god?

Besides just having faith, that is.

How did you go about verifying this?

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 09:46 PM

35. "Love you Bruh!"
In response to Reply # 33

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 10:38 PM

36. "If you loved me, bruh, you'd take the time to have an actual discussion"
In response to Reply # 35

You'd address these things and not avoid them at all costs.

You'd actually say and do things consistent with that love.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 11:20 AM

37. "Love you Bruh!"
In response to Reply # 36

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 12:39 PM

38. "Psst... writing something doesn't make it true"
In response to Reply # 37

You know, like how the bible being written doesn't make it's god real.

Also, lying is a sin, according to that book. So.... yeah.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 05:23 PM

30. "Except your demeanor is anything but "loving""
In response to Reply # 27

Particularly in response to the interaction I spoke of in my post.

You were aggressive, antagonistic, confrontational, filled with condemnation, unwilling to even consider that your perception of my intent was incorrect, etc.

This "I will love you anyways" bullshit is just another missive.

My response was perfectly in line with topic of your post. Your response to this was absolutely incorrect.

Rather than address that inarguable fact and accept that you were just plain wrong, suddenly you're all about loving me.

If that's not enough, that expression of "Love" is that I will one day bend the knee.

LMAO

Bend. The. Knee.

I'm in the middle of a Game Of Thrones rewatch too. I get it, it's thoroughly engrossing. But please, try not let that melodrama bleed too much into the real world😉

Nobody is "bending the knee" to your fictional deity anymore than they will to Cersei Lannister.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 06:09 PM

32. "Love you Bruh!"
In response to Reply # 30

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 02:00 PM

26. "."
In response to Reply # 24
Mon Apr-08-19 02:04 PM by Cold Truth

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 08:56 AM

16. "The most absolute dumbest statements on okp"
In response to Reply # 12

Are generally written by you.

That includes this one, as you consider it to be stupid to dissuade oneself from baseless, poisonous rhetoric as a means of saving time and allowing for rest.

hip bopper
7385 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 10:43 AM

17. "Absolutely not"
In response to Reply # 16

Your intelligence level is not all that high and your brain is very slow to comprehend things.

Cold Truth
44805 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 11:11 AM

18. "You believe in the devil. An actual devil."
In response to Reply # 17

You also, if I'm not mistaken, believe that death is god.

The slow-to-comprehend brain is the one that believes in unfounded superstition, not the one that actively questions said superstition and does not believe in them until/unless sound evidence is presented.

hip bopper
7385 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 05:25 PM

19. "What on earth are you talking about?"
In response to Reply # 18

You must’ve had a major fall and hit your head, or suffered some sort of brain trauma. I will leave you alone and give you time to recoup from your injuries.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13546 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 01:01 PM

7. "I cut out TV, social media and consumerism-as-entertainment..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-05-19 01:08 PM by flipnile

...All of that time I used to waste now goes into improvement, hobbies or rest. The only time I feel rushed is the 9-5 rat race.

Also, I rarely drive a car and prefer walking, a bike or a train. People look miserable-as-fuck in their cars most of the time. Grabbing at their phones every chance they get.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 02:28 PM

10. "Seem to go back an forth with TV and social media"
In response to Reply # 7

I must confess, those things have cut into my creative mode more than I thought. I got sucked in by doing motivational vids and commentary. But the price is wack if there is no balance.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 01:38 PM

8. "Love to be still and know that He is Lord"
In response to Reply # 0

I started putting my phone charger across the room so that I would have to get out of bed to turn my alarm off instead of endlessly snoozing.

I still endlessly hit snooze, but it has been nice for bed to be a no phone zone. I used to scroll on Instagram for hours until I fell asleep.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-05-19 02:29 PM

11. "Yeah, the gram can be a trap."
In response to Reply # 8

Looking at people live their lives when we should be living ours..

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18569 posts
Sat Apr-06-19 08:24 AM

13. "I enjoy putting the phone away in the bedroom...."
In response to Reply # 0

and just doing whatever I feel like some days. Go wherever, and just do whatever. No phone on me. No checking emails. Plus, with no phone I might not even know or care what time it is. It’s kind of freeing.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 09:24 AM

20. "Sometimes I for leave my phone home during walks -"
In response to Reply # 13

and i feel so liberated and relxaed.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13546 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 09:34 AM

22. "This is what I do a lot of times. Leave the phone on the charger..."
In response to Reply # 13

...in the bedroom while I'm doing stuff around the house. Next thing, it's been hours and I realize I don't remember exactly where I left my phone.

Mori
Charter member
3527 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 05:00 PM

29. "America is in a restless state"
In response to Reply # 0

We feel obligated to fill every second of time with meaning or activity. Can't folk just sit on their porch and rock away without doing or thinking of anything?

I am so happy to be done with school, have a mindless job and not feel pressured to accomplish anything.

I love sitting with my loved ones and just "waisting" time. I don't feel any external or internal pressure to move up any success ladder. It doesn't exist.

Enjoy the present. Grateful that you are giving yourself time to rest.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

godleeluv
Member since Jun 11th 2013
5861 posts
Mon Apr-08-19 08:40 PM

34. "I’ve been slowing way down. Stressing less and relaxing more"
In response to Reply # 0

It’s been awesome. Yoga. Stretching. Hz frequency music. Deep breathing. Fishing. All that helps
... "A Beautiful Struggle"
https://m.facebook.com/jamelabullock
Www.reverbnation.com/jamela

MELa
Musically.Entertaining.Lyrically.Alluring.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13324699 Previous topic | Next topic