Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13323869

Subject: "What do you think of income share agreements vs student loans?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 11:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What do you think of income share agreements vs student loans?"

*prepares to go balsa*

Listened to a podcast about this, and apparently there is a real push to make these Income Share Agreements a widespread thing.

How it works:
Folks pretty much buy stock in students. You need $20,000 for school? Okay, I'll give you the $20,000 in exchange for _% of your earnings for the 8 years after you graduate.

How much you pay back is dependent on your income. If you make very little money post graduation (or can't find a job), you pay very little. If you get a good job, you pay more.
So it could be the case that you don't come close to paying back the $20k, or you could pay way above the $20k.

Because it is not a loan, so you can't default or go bankrupt because of it. In a scenario where you never find work over the 8 year period, you would pay nothing and owe nothing.

This system comes with downsides too. For example, how can we get folks to invest in students projected to enter important, not so lucrative fields (social work, teaching, etc.)? It seems like the all the funding would go to engineers or business students. Or else, they would have to take a large chuck of future income from the education/social work students.

Anyways, I thought this was interesting and a better model than student loans. What do you think? Would you be hesitant to sign your kid up for an income share agreement?

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2018-09-26/using-an-income-share-agreement-to-pay-for-college

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
great for paying gaps in scholarship, loans etc...shouldnt be used for f...
Apr 02nd 2019
Done in reverse, seems like it could be an NCAA answer
Apr 02nd 2019
How would this work (re:NCAA)?
Apr 02nd 2019
      Instead of a student being provided cash to cover 4 years of school cost...
Apr 02nd 2019
Make the income from those students tax free
Apr 02nd 2019
or the payment a pre-tax deduction, like health care
Apr 02nd 2019
I don't like it being private, but the government could do it
Apr 02nd 2019
Yep
Apr 02nd 2019
predatory. only makes the rich get richer IMO..... all debt is bad debt.
Apr 02nd 2019
All debt isn't bad debt
Apr 02nd 2019
yeah, I was generalizing for emphasis...but still... i'd rather see
Apr 02nd 2019
      I'm not optimistic enough to realistically envision that change.
Apr 02nd 2019
^^ on that Dave Ramsey. Poorly used debt is bad debt
Apr 02nd 2019
      If you graduate with over $100K in loans that are spread out on a
Apr 02nd 2019
           I agree. And that's where the "poorly used" part comes into play
Apr 02nd 2019
           right, if I was a college bound kid right now
Apr 02nd 2019
Except for STEM, I don't think college is worth it
Apr 02nd 2019
a know a girl who did this. got a $80K job at Dow Jones off the bat
Apr 02nd 2019
She graduated from college at 19?
Apr 02nd 2019
      sorta. she did the C4Q Program for free (its now called Pursuit)
Apr 02nd 2019
           Wow, that's 100% worth it.
Apr 02nd 2019
                Ostensibly, BUT
Apr 02nd 2019
                     Sad
Apr 03rd 2019

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 12:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "great for paying gaps in scholarship, loans etc...shouldnt be used for f..."
In response to Reply # 0

tuition payment
especially if you plan on having a high paying job
i've seen law students do isa's and they end up paying more than they would have with fed loans
great that an option

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 12:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Done in reverse, seems like it could be an NCAA answer"
In response to Reply # 0

to compensate student athletes in revenue sports, that and adding a salary cap for coaches.

No reason state employees all over the country, but especially states like Mississippi, highest paid employees earn millions a year coaching unpaid athletes. Paid millions a year, Ole Miss head coaches haven't lead their teams to national, let alone conference, championships since the 60s. All while Mississippi continually ranks at the bottom, every year, of all national metrics for education and health.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 12:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "How would this work (re:NCAA)?"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Apr-02-19 12:21 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

You mean like: student athletes get nothing today (basically loaning the school their labor). But after they graduate, they get a portion of the athletic department's "profits"?

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Instead of a student being provided cash to cover 4 years of school cost..."
In response to Reply # 3

Then repaying a percentage of their salary for 8 years after graduation, to cover that upfront payment, it could be done in reverse. Maybe compensation is provided in the form of a pension of some sort, or a long-term health insurance policy, or just cash.

An example, a student plays basketball--in sold out games and conference play--also at Purdue, he would receive a percentage of that year's sporting revenue (specifically the revenue which now goes to inflated coaching salaries) over the span of 2X the amount of years they played, similar to the 2X payment length for the borrowing students on the other side, since this system has established it as a fair length for repayment.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 12:36 PM

4. "Make the income from those students tax free"
In response to Reply # 0

That benefit would also make "investors" willing to receive a smaller income share from those students.

>This system comes with downsides too. For example, how can we
>get folks to invest in students projected to enter important,
>not so lucrative fields (social work, teaching, etc.)? It
>seems like the all the funding would go to engineers or
>business students. Or else, they would have to take a large
>chuck of future income from the education/social work
>students.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 12:48 PM

6. "or the payment a pre-tax deduction, like health care"
In response to Reply # 4

instead of this student loan max tax credit of $2,500.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 12:49 PM

7. "I don't like it being private, but the government could do it"
In response to Reply # 0

Or the government can do for the non-high paying jobs.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 01:07 PM

8. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 7

8 years of repayment is certainly better than lifetimes worth of loan debt people have now.
But just like the woman in the story who was about to decide on military service to pay for school. Why doesn't government have other, non-military service options to supplement the greater good as a way to offset tuition costs. Didn't the Peace Corps used to function like this?

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 01:12 PM

9. "predatory. only makes the rich get richer IMO..... all debt is bad debt."
In response to Reply # 0

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 01:36 PM

10. "All debt isn't bad debt"
In response to Reply # 9

I just made my monthly mortgage payment on a house that doubled in value within the first year of purchase.

Compared to something like child support, the length and salary deduction percentage is optimal. I know multiple people with 6 figs of students loans. I'm positive all of them would prefer a repayment option that was finite and and manageable as this plan seems to be.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 01:44 PM

11. "yeah, I was generalizing for emphasis...but still... i'd rather see "
In response to Reply # 10

a strong effort to reduce & cap higher education expenses at Public Universities. The disparity in costs among state schools within the same state is kinda crazy. And the overall cost in general is just embarrassing.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 01:52 PM

14. "I'm not optimistic enough to realistically envision that change."
In response to Reply # 11

The plan instead will likely continue to be guiding current students to supplement their course load with transferable low cost courses from community colleges during breaks and holidays, so they can graduate early.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 01:48 PM

12. "^^ on that Dave Ramsey. Poorly used debt is bad debt"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Apr-02-19 01:48 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

All debt isn't bad debt. If you use debt for productive purposes it is very beneficial.

If you need a reliable car to get to work, there is no need to wait until you store up enough to buy one with cash. You can use debt to get a car that you need now instead of waiting years.

Same thing with student debt. If school is going to provide future economic benefit for you, then it is worthwhile to take debt today instead of delaying until you have the cash.

Anyway, this isn't debt

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 01:52 PM

13. "If you graduate with over $100K in loans that are spread out on a "
In response to Reply # 12

15 year repayment...
that's 15 years adverse impact on your income...

and I believe $100K might be low....

So..I dunnoo... I get that it ain't ALL bad...but it ain't necessarily good either.
And in the current job market.....it DEF ain't good for a lot of recent grads

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 01:57 PM

15. "I agree. And that's where the "poorly used" part comes into play"
In response to Reply # 13

If you take on $100k of student debt to study something that will likely lead to a job that can pay barely enough to keep up with the interest payments, that is a poor use of debt.

For some people however, that may be a wise investment (medical school, engineers, biz school).

>15 year repayment...
>that's 15 years adverse impact on your income...
>
>and I believe $100K might be low....
>
>So..I dunnoo... I get that it ain't ALL bad...but it ain't
>necessarily good either.
>And in the current job market.....it DEF ain't good for a lot
>of recent grads
>
>"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 02:08 PM

16. "right, if I was a college bound kid right now"
In response to Reply # 13

I'd be in Scandinavia or Germany, in school for free and in a program taught in English.

Like this one - https://www.uni-jena.de/en/nonrestricted+undergraduate+international.html

Maybe I should be looking at international property now to invest in, instead of a robust future college fund.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 02:31 PM

17. "Except for STEM, I don't think college is worth it"
In response to Reply # 0

At least not worth the ridiculous costs at many universities.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 02:53 PM

18. "a know a girl who did this. got a $80K job at Dow Jones off the bat"
In response to Reply # 0

she's 19.

she's a software engineer at Dow and she hates the job.

her load is only 3 years of payback though..8 years seems hella long.

d

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 02:56 PM

19. "She graduated from college at 19?"
In response to Reply # 18

How much did she owe, and where did she go?

Damali
35863 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 03:17 PM

20. "sorta. she did the C4Q Program for free (its now called Pursuit)"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue Apr-02-19 03:24 PM by Damali

www.pursuit.org

she spent about 18 months straight, full time, learning coding and software engineering, graduated from that program, and they got her the interview at Dow Jones. She secured the position. Black girl, too...i was so super proud of her. she's a friend of my son

I think she has to pay 12% of her salary for 3 years...which comes out to roughly $28,800.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 03:41 PM

21. "Wow, that's 100% worth it."
In response to Reply # 20

$80K at 19, working for a top institution, she'll have enough saved after two years, with no debt, to afford to do anything in the world she'd prefer doing.

Damali
35863 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 04:46 PM

22. "Ostensibly, BUT"
In response to Reply # 21

she's from the hood and has been using most of her money to help family pay rent etc...which is the trap that low income kids often get into.

when they come up, they get pressured by family to help out. She really has nothing for herself right now.

this is part of why i don't allow my sons to give any of their money to me for bills etc. i'm teaching them to save and invest their money into their own careers.

d

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Wed Apr-03-19 09:43 AM

23. "Sad"
In response to Reply # 22

But, she's in the same position as a lot of rookie athletes who come from the hood, only younger.
The great thing, her earning potential will steadily increase...unlike most athletes, especially after that elusive max contract (and percentages they pay to agents, and managers, and child support, and the street, and champagneing & campaigning)

I'm rooting for her, this story is inspiring.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13323869 Previous topic | Next topic