Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13320258

Subject: "You're campaign manager for a Dem candidate, how do you win the primary?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 06:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"You're campaign manager for a Dem candidate, how do you win the primary?"

Just a generic candidate.

What's your winning strategy?
Hide out early on and wait for the others to take themselves out before you strike?

Come out hot attacking everyone early?

Go for big time donors or small dollar donations?

Divisive strategy or coalition building?

What's your path to victory?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i can tell you what i *wouldnt* do.
Mar 17th 2019
Her campaign bus should be called 'The Hot Mess Express'
Mar 17th 2019
      she still hasnt received enough donations to be on the debate stage.
Mar 17th 2019
           ok not a bus. an uber pool.
Mar 17th 2019
                lol
Mar 17th 2019
Going full anti trump
Mar 17th 2019
I have no idea, but once they lose they need to continue campaigning for...
Mar 18th 2019
Hit the ground running and play to the crowd you are in front of
Mar 18th 2019
I imagine some candidates are more frustrating than others, lol
Mar 18th 2019
i'm keeping my eye on these 2 but leaning petey pablo
Mar 20th 2019
      Right! And you're so not alone either. Sometimes I wonder who these poll...
Mar 20th 2019
I entertained the Idea for a couple weeks before the midterm
Mar 18th 2019

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 07:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i can tell you what i *wouldnt* do."
In response to Reply # 0

i wouldnt tell my candidate to spew trump/putin talking points to blame the media for its scrutiny of his alignment with russian interests.
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1106952515793403909

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 07:39 PM

2. "Her campaign bus should be called 'The Hot Mess Express'"
In response to Reply # 1

It's no surprise she gets the support she gets from the people she gets it from

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Reeq
16347 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 07:53 PM

3. "she still hasnt received enough donations to be on the debate stage."
In response to Reply # 2

yang and mayor pete have.

that says a lot.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 07:58 PM

4. "ok not a bus. an uber pool. "
In response to Reply # 3

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Reeq
16347 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 07:59 PM

5. "lol"
In response to Reply # 4

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 09:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Going full anti trump"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-17-19 09:01 PM by naame

None of this "we can expand healthcare" shit

"I will protect you from Trump and the Neoconfederates." Whole campaign. Campaign colors are red and black. Every ad has my candidate in a preachers collar holding an ak47 outside a mocked up trump tower warning of another 4 years of trump.

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 09:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "I have no idea, but once they lose they need to continue campaigning for..."
In response to Reply # 0

all 100 candidates, should keep the energy they have towards getting the candidate in their respective states/cities/districts whatever, just do not stop trying to help.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79578 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 11:37 AM

8. "Hit the ground running and play to the crowd you are in front of"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 06:13 PM

9. "I imagine some candidates are more frustrating than others, lol"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm surprised this post isn't busier?

Anyway, I know you said imagine a generic candidate, but it's hard to unsee who's out there. I hope you don't mind if I go off right quick lol:

-WHO is telling Biden this teasing bullshit is cute?? Both he and Beto seem to like this tactic and it comes off mad entitled. Smug. Off-putting. And just gives the media more time to remind everyone why they're ill-suited. If I had their ear I'd tell them to cut the boyish crap and get to work.

-Speaking of Beto, I would have encouraged him to run for senate again, not pres.

-Of the candidates so far, all have a reasonable degree of executive presence except for Warren, Sanders, and Beto. They need some coaching about how to come across more presidential, imho. I think this would be most transformational for Warren. People like her and she's got great policy ideas... but she comes across super cutesy-grandma and if I had her ear I would question whether her hokeyness tempers her ability to be taken seriously by the more hardass voters or even other leaders both domestic and abroad. It shouldn't matter but it does. I would be keen to strengthen her image a bit, to portray her as more of a stateswoman and to match how tough her platform is.

-Julian Castro needs to be out there more, where IS he?? There's really no excuse. Yang and Buttigieg have been doing almost every major weekend news show, podcast, etc so don't tell me it's lack of funding (Pete's still exploratory), or family obligations (Andrew Yang has 2 young children), lack of name recognition (he served in Obama's cabinet AND was a contender in HRC's highly publicized VP selection process), etc. Something's lacking in his team. Even the simple fact he's one of few that got it right when asked about reparations should have garnered him way more publicity than it did. So I guess if I had his ear I'd be pushing to ramp up his PR and bookings.

-Klobuchar - She's a viable candidate for those that shy away from more progressive proposals. I wish Biden would sit the race out and just let her own the lane. Her rep as an abusive boss is worrisome though and could pose a political risk in the long run.. So if I had her ear I would have tried to get ahead on the oppo front (her team was definitely on the defensive as reports about it increased) and have her do more interviews/pre-emptive PR showing her composed and down-to-earth, which she does tend to portray in interviews/town halls.

-Delaney - He's hilarious because he's quite literally just your typical garden variety white male senior level politician, lol.. I don't think there would really be anything to add or take away from what his campaign is doing because whatever they are doing is what politicians like him have been doing since forever so as CM I would probably just be going through the motions.

-Tulsi - I would be pushing her to broaden her platform. I literally can't think of any other major policy prescription she's made aside from US force reductions overseas. Ok... what else would she be doing with her time? She also doubles down a bit too much on the "As a soldier" thing sometimes... lol. During her town hall I think she must have said it at least 10-20 times. She kind of reminds of like if Jason Bourne was running for office.. I kept expecting her to short circuit at some point.

-Kamala. How do we solve a problem like Kamala?? (c).. I think with her it's less of a "she should be doing this!" "She should be doing that!" thing and more of a.. "how did they manage to botch her being top contender??" There was so much hype. She's super popular. Executive presence down pat. She's open to progressive reforms (though she's been hard to pin on actual details). But more and more it just seems that people are more excited/impressed by other candidates. So it may have been too early for a run from her... I'm not sure what the rush was. The dems need strong representation in the senate too. I really don't know what could help her at this point, so I guess as her campaign manager I'd resign myself to the lukewarm cinnamon oatmeal of a campaign that we'd put together with all that money we raised.

-Booker: see Kamala.

-Marianne Williamson - The only one running almost exclusively on a reparations platform. She wants to spiritually cleanse the US, right? I don't really know how to read her tbh. She gives me Jill Stein vibes. But if she's affiliated with Oprah she must be somewhat legit.. right?? I don't know. But if I had her ear I guess I would tell her she needs to broaden her platform. She can't just run on the one issue for the one constitutency and expect to be a serious candidate (though I realize that's what Trump did and won.. but I think in his case it only worked bc his base and the anti-Clinton base were a much larger proportion of the electorate).

-I would also say something similar to Andrew Yang re: UBI. He's doing a phenomenal job securing UBI into the Dem's agenda and is bringing a lot of people around to the idea - and with cold hard facts, history, and economic theory to back it up too. I also think he - more than any other candidate - has run the most aggressive thought leadership so far. Most striking is his ability to appeal to both progressives and republicans. His ability to navigate "the horseshoe" is rivaled only by perhaps Bernie. For example he's done like 3 or 4 fox interviews so far, including one interview with Tucker Carlson who by the end was eating out of his hand which was interesting to watch.. and the COMMENTS under the video were largely supportive too, which is not what one would expect in response to a progressive dem selling the idea of introducing a new VAT to pay for an entitlement program on a conservative news program. So that's an impressive quality he has. He also raises money well, he's data-driven, he's tapped into the whole silicon valley circuit which could prove useful. He comes across a little bit tech bro-y but overall his executive presence isn't bad. Smart views on many issues, but none as fleshed out as his UBI proposal. So ya if I had his ear I'd tell him to keep doing what he's doing but to broaden his platform, because when you have more well-rounded candidates like Pete Buttigieg as it stands now Yang is making a great case to modernize the SSA or DOL but not necessarily to lead the US.

-Pete Buttigieg and Andrew Yang both have really positive buzz surrounding them but it's weird because even though they seem to be the names people keep positively mentioning in comment sections, twitter, etc.... meaning everyone's like "Oh he's great", "he has my vote", "he's in my top 2", "he's my favorite", "I'm donating", they all turn around and add "but I doubt he winds up the nominee"...lol. Which is weird because with so many people singing their accolades, if people like them and they simply voted for them as they say they want to then one of them very likely COULD end up the nominee. Pete truly does have that special political star quality, a very empathetic style of speech and leadership.. super measured, thoughtful, and well-rounded. He's strong on both domestic and foreign policy, plus as a veteran and a member of a marginalized group he can just relate to so many issues. And has there ever been a multilingual president?? (Arabic, Dari, Spanish, Norwegian, Maltese). I mean on paper and in person Pete would probably be the dream candidate to manage because you could really go far with him. The only thing I notice is, as one of the subset of candidates that's centered his platform around climate (or climate security, as he frames it), he needs to get an energy policy team together FAST. I never thought I'd be able to pinpoint a weakness in his responses, but after seeing him stumble in 2 small town halls after being asked about nuclear, energy is it. He's usually able to pull together specifics quite easily, but playing it off with the "well, I'm not fully informed on the science yet" doesn't serve him well if renewables and a low carbon footprint are central to his prescriptions for sustainability and pollution reduction. Plus he often misses the opportunity to dig more into an infrastructure plan that prioritizes resilience against natural disasters/extreme climate fluctuations. But ya, he's damn near beating the odds in every other respect and his team is killing it with his bookings.

-Inslee - like a climate-flavored Delaney. Again, if I had his ear I'd be pushing him to get his energy policy and infrastructure plan together asap, just like I'd tell Pete. If you are talking climate you need to have that shit down pat otherwise it all just sounds like lefty bs.

-And the one thing I would tell any and all the candidates to do if I was their CM is USE THEIR BRAINS WHEN IT COMES TO REPARATIONS. Jesus. I mean it's not even complicated... I really don't understand how so many have fumbled on this. THERE'S ALREADY A BILL. At a minimum, why not just say you would support HR40 and sign it if it passed? Encourage high participation in the Census so that estimates resulting from Congress's studies capture as true a picture of Black Americans as possible? Extra respect if you acknowledge the historical injustices inflicted on Black Americans and their ancestors and acknowledge the persistent racism and inequities that have compounded and remain present even in today's society. Somehow Kamala, Warren, and Sanders have all managed to screw this up lol. It may not be too late for Buttigieg (who surprised me by explaining the evolution of 'whiteness' to one of his audiences recently, so we know he's at least a tiny bit woke). But ya. It's all but guaranteed that a reparations question would come up in the debates so they need to figure out their positions.

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed Mar-20-19 08:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "i'm keeping my eye on these 2 but leaning petey pablo"
In response to Reply # 9

-Pete Buttigieg and Andrew Yang both have really positive buzz surrounding them but it's weird because even though they seem to be the names people keep positively mentioning in comment sections, twitter, etc.... meaning everyone's like "Oh he's great", "he has my vote", "he's in my top 2", "he's my favorite", "I'm donating", they all turn around and add "but I doubt he winds up the nominee"...lol. Which is weird because with so many people singing their accolades, if people like them and they simply voted for them as they say they want to then one of them very likely COULD end up the nominee. Pete truly does have that special political star quality, a very empathetic style of speech and leadership.. super measured, thoughtful, and well-rounded. He's strong on both domestic and foreign policy, plus as a veteran and a member of a marginalized group he can just relate to so many issues. And has there ever been a multilingual president?? (Arabic, Dari, Spanish, Norwegian, Maltese). I mean on paper and in person Pete would probably be the dream candidate to manage because you could really go far with him. The only thing I notice is, as one of the subset of candidates that's centered his platform around climate (or climate security, as he frames it), he needs to get an energy policy team together FAST. I never thought I'd be able to pinpoint a weakness in his responses, but after seeing him stumble in 2 small town halls after being asked about nuclear, energy is it. He's usually able to pull together specifics quite easily, but playing it off with the "well, I'm not fully informed on the science yet" doesn't serve him well if renewables and a low carbon footprint are central to his prescriptions for sustainability and pollution reduction. Plus he often misses the opportunity to dig more into an infrastructure plan that prioritizes resilience against natural disasters/extreme climate fluctuations. But ya, he's damn near beating the odds in every other respect and his team is killing it with his bookings.

i like Yang so far too but his tech-bro aura is worrying and UBI is great but also manages to feel premature at the same time...i almost wish they could do a fusion dance lol...I'm also worried that homophobia can hurt Pete and really dampen his chances carrying Indiana and other states like it

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

kfine
Member since Jan 11th 2009
2218 posts
Wed Mar-20-19 11:00 AM

12. "Right! And you're so not alone either. Sometimes I wonder who these poll..."
In response to Reply # 11

and analyses are capturing because Buttigieg gets mentioned a LOT in comments.

Like, for example, these responses to a tweet Nate Silver posted yesterday saying the nominee is most likely to be either Biden, Bernie, Kamala, or Beto. Nobody's reinforcing those people in the comments lol - almost all keep bringing up Pete:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1108097263602204673

And I realize comment sections are there own echo chamber too, but it definitely seems your feelings and the general positive buzz about Buttigieg and Yang are far stronger than the MSM and bloggers care to pay enough attention to.

I hear you on the potential barriers homophobia could pose for Pete, though. That said I think it's promising there hasn't been to much homophobic commentary so far, even in response to his FOX interview (in which he did very well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=y97QknIG-Eo

Plus, I want to remain optimistic that from growing up in socially conservative Indiana and running for office there, he's developed a skill or two for disarming right-wingers. For example, I noticed he took care to come across extra serious and presidential in his Fox interview, more than he has in other appearances. And it didn't look new or rehearsed... it looked like a persona he's likely cultivated for years to successfully work with conservatives in his state (or the military?).

Either way, really do wish him luck. He's doing great.

>
>i like Yang so far too but his tech-bro aura is worrying and
>UBI is great but also manages to feel premature at the same
>time...i almost wish they could do a fusion dance lol...I'm
>also worried that homophobia can hurt Pete and really dampen
>his chances carrying Indiana and other states like it

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 09:32 PM

10. "I entertained the Idea for a couple weeks before the midterm "
In response to Reply # 0

Had some feelers out that could have possibly moved me in that direction, but quickly realized the people are the problem.

Dems need a unified platform and message before any candidate is attached to it. Stones can and will be thrown at all the candidates and that will in turn weaken the platform. But if you could start by rebranding the party sand candidates you could do something.

So my biggest idea was reclaim the flag as a symbol of inclusion. You wrap every brand of American in a big ol flag and say This Is America. It's amazing and yet not surprising that the Maga crowd has left the flag unclaimed so they don't have to remove the confederate one from their license plates. So to reclaim that as a symbol of democracy and the democratic party forces their hands when they want to claim what is American. You want to hate on immigrants you are disrespecting the flag. Hate gays? Disrespecting the flag. It draws that hard line of being American being about inclusion and if you aren't then you are anti-american.

Phase two is to address the issues facing all of those flag wrapped Americans individually but then as our collective need. Because it can be exemplified why the poor from west Virginia are facing the same challenges as the poor from the Bronx, and collectively they are America's issues. You cannot fix a problem until you accept that there is one and it affects the whole nation.

Last phase is unity. Been building up to it but this is positioning and where candidates get their talking points from. The democratic party is about bringing all Americans together. Understanding and addressing the needs of everyone. Don't go low. Go high. Let them go lower because they will. Always bring it back to what the people want and need rather than bipartisan bickering. "Protecting our borders is very important, but so is protecting the future of children from Mississippi to Colorado. If we are listening to our constituents needs funding headstart and after-school may do more to protect future jobs than a big infrastructure project."

In some regards this is what's wrong with the primary system is that it works really well at dividing the party rather than bringing it together. And what the party needs in 2019 isn't a whole bunch of candidates but rather a year long campaign that gets everyone on message, then find the talking head that can take that message to the polls.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄â–â–ƒ
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Lobby General Discussion topic #13320258 Previous topic | Next topic