Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13320046

Subject: "Disney bringing James Gunn byke for GOTG3" Previous topic | Next topic
BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Disney bringing James Gunn byke for GOTG3"

and he's still doing the new Suicide Squad movie too. what a win for him

https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-gunn-reinstated-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-disney-suicide-squad-2-indefensible-social-media-messages-1202576444/

EXCLUSIVE: Redemption and second chances have long been superhero movie staples, and today it looks like life has imitated art. I’ve learned that Disney has reinstated James Gunn as the writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and I’ve confirmed it with Marvel and Gunn’s camp.

The decision to rehire Gunn –he was fired last July by Disney after alt-right journalists made public a fusillade of decade old social media missives that made light of pedophilia and rape — was one that was mulled and actually made months ago, following conversations with Disney studio leadership and the team at Marvel Studios. Why the change of heart? After the firing, Walt Disney Studios president Alan Horn met with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by Gunn’s public apology and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.

The social media messages were indefensible, but the filmmaker never did anything but blame himself for poor judgment displayed at a time when he was emerging from the Troma film factory and attempting to be a provocateur. There were no reports that Gunn ever engaged in the behavior he lampooned. Unlike the defensive posture exhibited by Kevin Hart that led him to skip hosting the Oscars, Gunn fell on his sword early and often and never lashed out at Disney.

Ultimately, Gunn’s missives were poorly chosen words and not actions, though Disney’s quick trigger was completely understandable when the social media messages were first reported by outlets like Fox News. Those outlets reported that Gunn’s missives were exposed as payback for Gunn being a vocal critic of President Donald Trump.

Gunn’s return to Guardians of the Galaxy 3 got complicated when he signed on to write and direct the Suicide Squad sequel for Warner Bros and DC. Marvel Studios has agreed to commence production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after Gunn completes Suicide Squad 2. Making the whole thing easier though was the fact that Marvel Studios never met with or considered any other director for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, despite speculation that Thor: Ragnarok helmer Taika Waititi and Vice helmer Adam McKay were in the mix.

Marvel Studios has remained mum on all details concerning Guardians of the Galaxy 3, as the Kevin Feige-led division turned its focus toward Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame. Marvel this week set Destin Daniel Cretton to direct Shang-Chi.

Prior to his dismissal, Gunn had written a script which Marvel confirmed would be used for the third Guardians of the Galaxy installment. I expect Gunn to confirm all this as he supports the release of Brightburn, the David Yarovevsky-directed Elizabeth Banks-starrer that he produced and Sony releases May 24.

There will be an inevitable chorus of those who will gripe about Gunn’s return, but creatively, Guardians will benefit from his return. The entire cast of the film was outspoken in its desire to have Gunn back, saying that those satiric tweets did not match his personal actions. The cast clearly loves him; Chris Pratt, Zoey Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Sean Gunn, Michael Rooker and Pom Klementieff all pleaded for Gunn’s return, in an open letter. The controversy shattered the camaraderie that the cast had with the filmmaker and put a strongly performing franchise in limbo. Marvel has done a great job allowing its filmmakers to inject their personalities into each franchise, and perhaps none has been as stamped by one filmmaker as Gunn on the Guardians franchise. The first two installments grossed over $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel out grossing the first picture.

Soon after the announcement of Gunn’s firing, fans circulated a petition urging Disney to reconsider. On October 31st, a fan crowdfunded billboard went up in Anaheim, CA to rehire Gunn.

Disney is days from closing its acquisition of the assets of Fox and while the company will always be family first, it is somehow reassuring that there is room for second chances, and for a good director to have a chance to overcome a colossally stupid mistake.

UTA and The Safran Company rep Gunn.

This was the apology Gunn delivered last July: “My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time. Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

<--- Big Baller World Order

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MIKE CERNO-BITCH
Mar 15th 2019
^^^
Mar 15th 2019
I almost forgot about him
Mar 15th 2019
Disney needed enough time pass before they admitted they got played
Mar 15th 2019
This cancel culture is out of control!
Mar 15th 2019
good????
Mar 15th 2019
what a fucking farce
Mar 15th 2019
tfw you really want to be mad but DC hired him too
Mar 15th 2019
      i haven't watched a single superhero movie since 2017
Mar 15th 2019
           I don't know anything about you and I don't care
Mar 15th 2019
           yet you replied to my post.
Mar 15th 2019
                replying to your post != caring about the details of your life
Mar 15th 2019
           Lol @ since 2017 when they been making them since 2009
Mar 15th 2019
           ^thinks superhero movies were invented in 2009
Mar 16th 2019
           Except that you're in every post about every superhero movie
Mar 15th 2019
                this post ain't about superheroes but about a supercreep
Mar 16th 2019
                     you used 'japs' in the ptp ghost in the shell thread
Mar 16th 2019
                          did i? damn that was some stupid shit, thanks random okp user
Mar 16th 2019
                          Damn
Mar 16th 2019
I knew this white man would be fine
Mar 17th 2019

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 01:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MIKE CERNO-BITCH"
In response to Reply # 0

LMAOOOOOOOO

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

it was an entirely faked campaign.

there were real people who were shocked by the content of the tweets, but actually wanting him fired?

bots and trolls

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 02:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I almost forgot about him"
In response to Reply # 1

I feel like Jacob Wohl kinda took all of his thunder, as far as unbelievably dumb right wing trolls go.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 01:36 PM

2. "Disney needed enough time pass before they admitted they got played"
In response to Reply # 0

Good, they never should have fired him in the first place.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 01:39 PM

3. "This cancel culture is out of control!"
In response to Reply # 0

Good for him. Dave Bautista's somewhere partying on this news, he was going HARD for James Gunn. Nobody else could do a third one anyway.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 04:13 PM

6. "good????"
In response to Reply # 0

i dont even know really.

dudes tweets were really bad. disney sucked at this and not sure going back is the best solution but doubt there is a good solution anyways.

it would be good for them to donate some of the profits to charity?? maybe also do some outreach to help with these issues?

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 04:43 PM

7. "what a fucking farce"
In response to Reply # 0

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 04:51 PM

8. "tfw you really want to be mad but DC hired him too"
In response to Reply # 7

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 05:46 PM

9. "i haven't watched a single superhero movie since 2017"
In response to Reply # 8

kinda cute this capeshit stuff still keeps you going old man

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 05:55 PM

10. "I don't know anything about you and I don't care"
In response to Reply # 9

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 05:59 PM

11. "yet you replied to my post."
In response to Reply # 10

badmouthing marvel still turns you into the hulk uh

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 06:09 PM

12. "replying to your post != caring about the details of your life"
In response to Reply # 11

thank you.

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 11:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Lol @ since 2017 when they been making them since 2009 "
In response to Reply # 9

----------

IG @h_n_z

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 08:53 AM

15. "^thinks superhero movies were invented in 2009"
In response to Reply # 13

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 11:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Except that you're in every post about every superhero movie"
In response to Reply # 9

Doing the same schtick.

Yes, you're a liar.

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 08:54 AM

16. "this post ain't about superheroes but about a supercreep"
In response to Reply # 14

and his sensitive ass fans are all showing up like clockwork

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 09:40 AM

17. "you used 'japs' in the ptp ghost in the shell thread"
In response to Reply # 16

and then deleted it hoping no one saw. but i saw.

so you should sit this one out, shitbird

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Hellyeah
6507 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 02:35 PM

18. "did i? damn that was some stupid shit, thanks random okp user"
In response to Reply # 17

i'm still 100 pedo jokes away from being hired by disney and get your simpaty though

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 04:06 PM

19. "Damn"
In response to Reply # 17

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 09:56 AM

20. "I knew this white man would be fine "
In response to Reply # 0

Obviously the campaign against him was bullshit but those tweets and the only other non-marvel movie I’ve seen from him (Super) really rubbed me the wrong way.

I couldn’t spend more less than five minutes defending this man when half of geeks were defending him. I wish I would spend any amount of time defending this white man who I KNEW KNEW was going to be fine.

Now he finishing his Marvel trilogy and got a DC franchise. Being a white man must be like finding $20 everyday in life.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13320046 Previous topic | Next topic