Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13318455

Subject: "Whats the long term plan with cancel culture and art?" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 01:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Whats the long term plan with cancel culture and art?"

As a person who has experienced some abuse in my lifetime, I get it when it comes to wanting to see some justice or not being reminded of the abuser.

So, with prominent artists going down for past transgressions AND our shifting perspective on societal level, I also get the time we're in where the music of R Kelly is being removed from platforms, the old Cosby shows are being pulled from syndication and Michael Jackson's art and impact is being shelved.

These people are bad and they have done bad things.

But, in response to all of this, I've been thinking to myself, what is the long term plan?

What I mean is....a year from now will we all collectively still not be listening to MJ and Kelly and not watching Cosby reruns?

3 years from will we all collectively still not be listening to MJ and Kelly and not watching Cosby reruns?

5 years from now will we all collectively still not be listening to MJ and Kelly and not watching Cosby reruns?

10 years from now will we all collectively still not be listening to MJ and Kelly and not watching Cosby reruns?

Is the art canceled forever as well? Is that the plan? Or, since this is new territory, we're kind of making it up as we go along?

Is this all really about a massive shift where as a society are learning to separate art from artist?

What about the impact and life changing aspect their art has had for some people? I'm not comparing the two things (positive actions vs. negative actions) but I am legitimately wondering if their bad actions completely erase the good they have done for some people.

The genesis for this post was seeing the headline where the Simpsons will be pulling the episode featuring MJ's voice. Which, I totally get, its not great optics and if they were to take a position of inaction they would be viewed as guilty by association.

And, I guess, with MJ I've been having a hard time with other people having a hard time in the many thinking pieces about coming to terms with how they feel about Michael Jackson after the most recent revelations. Which to me is...strange because its not as if this is all out of the blue. We've had TWENTY SIX YEARS to figure this out (first allegation was in 1993).

Anyway....wtf we gonna do?

alright, I was fighting myself about this last point because its dripping in whataboutism - but why does it seem like we're so SO slow to pick who will be canceled? Like, Woody Allen, Ted Nugent, Steven Tyler, Russel Simmons, Charlie Walk, LA Reid, etc. all have done dirt and their stories have broken but they still keep standing and we still keep supporting - I don't know if its cognitive dissonance or if we are selectively separating art from artist.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
MJ's not going to be "cancelled" for long
Mar 08th 2019
were those episodes also removed from retail collections though?
Mar 08th 2019
      Why shouldn't we look at this?
Mar 08th 2019
           I'm saying I think we should, and it seems silly to ferret things away
Mar 08th 2019
                what the fuck kinda dumb shit is this?
Mar 08th 2019
                     RE: what the fuck kinda dumb shit is this?
Mar 11th 2019
                          how is an episode of the simpsons an uncomfortable truth
Mar 11th 2019
                               would they have cut the episode from syndication if it were comfortable?
Mar 11th 2019
                                    the creator wanted to pull it.
Mar 11th 2019
your last point isn't whataboutism at all
Mar 08th 2019
The people that advocate such things don't have answers for you
Mar 08th 2019
imagine being this loser
Mar 08th 2019
See what I'm saying, Double Negative?
Mar 08th 2019
      The direct answer is that you're a loser.
Mar 08th 2019
You wanted 21 Savage deported by ICE because he doesn't rap happy enough
Mar 08th 2019
      I'm assuming the idea that I could be joking never occurred to you
Mar 08th 2019
           It didn't occur to you at the time, though
Mar 08th 2019
when someone gets cancelled the first time we can talk
Mar 08th 2019
mmmmm - Noriega
Mar 08th 2019
If someone is committing crimes/victimising people
Mar 08th 2019
I'll be happy when cancel culture catches up to religion
Mar 08th 2019
Thomas Jefferson - 44 / Sally Hemmings - 14
Mar 08th 2019
People bring this shit up about Jefferson all the time
Mar 08th 2019
      it's a joke
Mar 08th 2019
           For such a slow board fools still be quick to jump out the bushes... lo...
Mar 08th 2019
           ha! 'google it'
Mar 08th 2019
           Has anyone ever ACTUALLY been 'cancelled?'
Mar 08th 2019
                stop
Mar 08th 2019
                     I googled it, they said it's a strawman
Mar 11th 2019
There's two categories: Criminals and non-criminals.
Mar 08th 2019
be perfect or suffer.
Mar 08th 2019
Not a fan of erasing chapters from books
Mar 08th 2019
i'm so tired of these buzzwords
Mar 08th 2019
yeah, it's an interesting discussion
Mar 08th 2019
      virtue signaling is an unfortunate one
Mar 13th 2019
Good post, I was actually thinking about this IRT Picasso
Mar 08th 2019
lying ass muthafucka
Mar 08th 2019
wat?
Mar 08th 2019
people will become more insular.
Mar 08th 2019
this approach reminds me of a woman i dated years ago
Mar 08th 2019
oh my god.
Mar 08th 2019
y'all really think you invented ostracization
Mar 08th 2019
      i think you've been ostracized your whole life, in real life
Mar 08th 2019
           you should try not thinking
Mar 08th 2019
                homes, worry about getting to the pharmacy before they close.
Mar 08th 2019
                     went yesterday, needed some hydrocortisone
Mar 08th 2019
                          well played
Mar 09th 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em18QlnkCp0
Mar 08th 2019
Cosby reruns are still playing.
Mar 08th 2019
maybe once a week...on one channel, with no ratings
Mar 08th 2019
On TVOne or Bounce at 4AM.
Mar 08th 2019
      cancel inconvenient scheduling culture
Mar 08th 2019
I'm canceling neither R. Kelly or Mike Jack's music ,
Mar 08th 2019
Americans have no problem singing the Starred Spangled Banner
Mar 11th 2019
optimally, awful men will be viewed less favorably
Mar 09th 2019
What does someone being "cancelled" look like?
Mar 11th 2019
they don't want to discuss this
Mar 11th 2019
I'm completely sincere
Mar 11th 2019
I'm glad you bring up Aziz because he was a lesson for the country
Mar 11th 2019
      who the fuck is we?
Mar 11th 2019
      The country.
Mar 11th 2019
           your hallucinations are not a country.
Mar 11th 2019
           but you can't possibly know tho
Mar 16th 2019
      He's headlining a world tour right now, though
Mar 11th 2019
           Yeah I think cooler heads prevailed with Aziz.
Mar 12th 2019
                who was the hotter head that didn't prevail exactly?
Mar 12th 2019
                     I haven’t read that since it came out so maybe you’re right.
Mar 13th 2019
                          it's just weird
Mar 14th 2019
I might return to the art if I can mentally separate it from the person
Mar 11th 2019
Cancel Culture is the lamest mess ever.
Mar 11th 2019
LMAO, thank you for this
Mar 11th 2019
Man the pendulum swings back and forth on everything.
Mar 12th 2019
my man.
Mar 12th 2019
imagine being friends with a fuckin snitch
Mar 12th 2019
^^Just admitted to fantasizing about being my friend
Mar 12th 2019
      yes, I do occasionally have nightmares.
Mar 12th 2019
What are you going to blackmail them for?
Mar 13th 2019
      It's a joke bruh bruh.
Mar 13th 2019
           A few OKPs apparently don't 'get' humor
Mar 13th 2019
           D'Angelo Russell type dude over here
Mar 13th 2019
           Oh, you mean you weren't seriously going to extort them for money
Mar 13th 2019
there is no plan.
Mar 12th 2019
What is getting eliminated?
Mar 12th 2019
      the #muterkelly movement
Mar 12th 2019
           do you have trouble playing r kelly when you want to hear him?
Mar 12th 2019
           I've never been a fan of his music,
Mar 12th 2019
                so there is no cancel problem. cool. thank you.
Mar 13th 2019
           His music isn't gone, though
Mar 13th 2019
                I hadn't read the whole thread before posting.
Mar 13th 2019
It's really interesting.
Mar 12th 2019
on this note: Johnny Depp
Mar 12th 2019
what receipts?
Mar 13th 2019
      Right, he gave a batshit interview to Rolling Stone
Mar 13th 2019
      I haven't seen a johnny depp movie since edward scissorhands
Mar 15th 2019
      I dunno, surveillance camera videos?
Mar 13th 2019
           did you notice everyone cited in that article
Mar 14th 2019
fucking cancel culture even hits videogames wtf
Mar 13th 2019
for using COKE?! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Mar 13th 2019
This is very much a Japan thing; curious how Sega of America acts
Mar 13th 2019
Hopefully not for too much longer.
Mar 13th 2019
lol at people acting like
Mar 13th 2019
Master of None didn't get killed at all
Mar 13th 2019
who killed louis ck's show and how did they do it?
Mar 13th 2019
Cancel Culture is performative wokeness and its trash...
Mar 13th 2019
Wait, is "cancel culture" just criticizing another person?
Mar 13th 2019
That "whataboutism" idea as a negative is really odd.
Mar 13th 2019
It's not that people are against equality....
Mar 13th 2019
      Oh that's exactly what it is.
Mar 14th 2019
           Thank you! Cats get me with the double standard.
Mar 14th 2019
           what up boogie
Mar 14th 2019
           You see it
Mar 17th 2019
It should be apparent that social media mobs don't make plans
Mar 13th 2019
art and culture manufactured and pre-approved by the state
Mar 16th 2019
what the fuck
Mar 16th 2019
the short term plan of cancel culture is to get trump re-elected in 2020
Mar 17th 2019
Louis Vuitton Removing Michael Jackson-Themed Clothing
Mar 17th 2019
I just turned on my TV and the cosby show was on
Apr 01st 2019

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 01:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "MJ's not going to be "cancelled" for long"
In response to Reply # 0

The Simpsons pulling that episode from syndication will probably last as long as the time they pulled the LT Smash and NYC episodes after 9/11 (actually probably shorter, that might have lasted a year or so.) Same with the radio songs in certain countries.

In general, it's probably for the best if we're consuming more art that isn't made by disgusting people and for too long people have been able to get away with anything because they're a "brilliant artist."

I think eventually, people will be able to look at everything in totality. You can still watch and study the films of Alfred Hitchcock, Roman Polanski or Woody Allen, just like most film schools still show Birth of a Nation (the one from the 1900's) because of it's influence on early film-making techniques, while also noting that it's baseless Klan propaganda. It would be tough to study the history of film without seeing something horrible or a movie by someone horrible, because we live in a horrible country in a horrible world! Doesn't erase their positive artistic contributions, but they should be put in context.

Same goes for any other artistic medium.

If anything, we should use this as an opportunity to expand the canon. There's plenty of people who made movies in the 70's that weren't rapists or R&B singers from the 90's that didn't sexually exploit children, put people on to them.

And finally, there's always going to be a recency bias. Whenever something is more recent, whether it's the behavior or just the discourse around it (see the big Twitter dustup a few weeks ago because John Wayne's infamous white supremacist Playboy interview from the 70's was getting shared,) people are going to be more sensitive.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "were those episodes also removed from retail collections though?"
In response to Reply # 1

They're not just taking the MJ episode out of syndication/the FXX app. They're removing it from future pressings of season 3 for retail as well.

My personal take on cancel culture is that it's akin to the NCAA takin wins away from a school after they're found to be cheating the system. I guess on paper the history books won't show that Louisville won March Madness in 2013 but anyone who was alive at that time and watched basketball certainly will remember. I'm not a victim of anything (other than twice being unknowingly dosed with drugs in a public setting, though I had friends around to get me out of the situation both times) and I recognize that relieves me of Kevin Spacey or Michael Jackson reminding me of a bad experience in my life...but I just don't see how Kevin Spacey fondling all those people behind the scenes nullifies the work he did in Seven or Glengarry Glen Ross or whatever.

I too am really curious what the statute of limitations is going to be on both cancellations and how far back people want to go with that stuff, or what crimes are acknowledgeably bad but not cancellable offenses. I've seen some arguments made both facetiously and earnestly that follow the slippery slope all the way down to the bill of rights and the irony that it was written by men who kept slaves - do we throw that out because its creators had unsavory aspects to their lives? Or do what people all through history have done, and learn that people are not infallible and just strive to do better going forward and learn from the dark side of powerful people's lives? The bill of rights part is kind of stupid, but it gets at the thing I'm struggling with that I think people can be elevated and made better by the art - or legislation, or whatever - created by bad people, and it's ultimately a little showy and dramatic to make an attempt at pretending the person/thing never happened.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:51 PM

12. "Why shouldn't we look at this?"
In response to Reply # 4

>I've seen some arguments made
>both facetiously and earnestly that follow the slippery slope
>all the way down to the bill of rights and the irony that it
>was written by men who kept slaves - do we throw that out
>because its creators had unsavory aspects to their lives? Or
>do what people all through history have done, and learn that
>people are not infallible and just strive to do better going
>forward and learn from the dark side of powerful people's
>lives?

FDR is one of the greatest presidents we've ever had and is responsible for most of whatever social safety net we have.
He also threw people in camps based on their ethnicity for entirely political reasons (when his own advisors were telling him it made no difference in security, he said he wanted to keep internment going so as not to lose California in the 44 elections.)

Nobody is saying to throw him away entirely, but let's not paper over all of someone's negatives with the good things. Keep it all in perspective and don't deify anyone. The problem is, people build their entire lives around deifying artists and politicians, so if you say "the guy you admired your entire childhood is bad," they take it to mean that THEY are bad.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

Nodima
15297 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"I'm saying I think we should, and it seems silly to ferret things away"

I think in the longterm it would be far smarter to watch this Simpsons episodes with a younger generation and say, "this was one of the more memorable episodes from the beginning of this show's heyday, particularly among children; it also stars a man with a questionable relationship with children and childhood" than just pretend it didn't happen.

Like, when younger generations of people who are getting into music do the internet-era tradition of reading Top 200 lists by year and decade and sales, and they see "Thriller" on every single one of them, is that supposed to come with an asterisk stating "DO NOT LISTEN"?

~~~~~~~~~

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 04:59 PM

28. "what the fuck kinda dumb shit is this?"
In response to Reply # 0

you don't need a michael jackson episode of the simpsons to teach anyone anything.

if you want to watch it, fine, but pretending it's a learning experience is the most bizarre kind of lie possible.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 03:18 PM

49. "RE: what the fuck kinda dumb shit is this?"
In response to Reply # 28

That wasn't what I said, what I said was that it seems weird to hide from uncomfortable truths rather than confront them. I echo a lot of the thoughts of Wesley Morris and Jenna Wortham's recent Still Processing episode about all this; what is the point of trying to forget how much joy this/these men brought me when they have been all around me for so long? Like Wesley signed off, I think it's better to "when you're running to the dance floor as "Billie Jean" comes on, just remember what you're running to," rather than pretend we can erase history.

Obviously if human history runs another hundred or thousand years MJ will just be some Wikipedia page, but for your and my generations he's very important for both positive and negative reasons. I think "canceling" him negates all of that, and functionally pretends it didn't exist or didn't happen rather than opening up honest conversations about what we did or didn't want to see in him and other powerful men.

~~~~~~~~~

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 04:29 PM

58. "how is an episode of the simpsons an uncomfortable truth"
In response to Reply # 49

it's a fucking tv episode of a 90s sitcom.

you can watch it anytime you want, you're not a freedom fighter for doing it.

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 05:06 PM

59. "would they have cut the episode from syndication if it were comfortable?"
In response to Reply # 58

I get what this is now. Let's get to work clearing the world of The Beatles, Gucci Mane, Babe Ruth, Jay-Z, Phil Spector and Ray Charles as well. No new friends, no old tunes.

~~~~~~~~~

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 05:14 PM

62. "the creator wanted to pull it."
In response to Reply # 59

that does not make it an "uncomfortable truth."

Mynoriti
Charter member
38816 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:02 PM

2. "your last point isn't whataboutism at all"
In response to Reply # 0

your post is about a larger picture, and where we could be headed, so it's relevant if these things are being applied unevenly.

but I'm not comfortable with any of it. Kelly, Jackson, whoever.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:11 PM

3. "The people that advocate such things don't have answers for you"
In response to Reply # 0

They most-likely haven't thought through their stance more than 1 step in advance. I doubt they'd have a direct answer for you.

I've never advocated "cancelling" something so I can't help there.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:26 PM

6. "imagine being this loser"
In response to Reply # 3

flipnile
13565 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:28 PM

7. "See what I'm saying, Double Negative?"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Mar-08-19 02:33 PM by flipnile

>They most-likely haven't thought through their stance more than 1 step
>in advance. I doubt they'd have a direct answer for you.

Of course now it goes to "when did I say that..." et. al.

You'll never get a direct answer from these folks, on anything.

Also, it's not a good idea to follow these folks on anything. Their game isn't about winning, it's about ensuring that others fail.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 04:58 PM

27. "The direct answer is that you're a loser."
In response to Reply # 7

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:53 PM

14. "You wanted 21 Savage deported by ICE because he doesn't rap happy enough"
In response to Reply # 3

FOH, that's so much worse than the strawman you're criticizing.

------

flipnile
13565 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:02 PM

17. "I'm assuming the idea that I could be joking never occurred to you"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri Mar-08-19 03:03 PM by flipnile

It is what it is.

Knowing how these discussion usually go, I guess it's time for a snarky comeback, right?

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:04 PM

18. "It didn't occur to you at the time, though"
In response to Reply # 17

------

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:26 PM

5. "when someone gets cancelled the first time we can talk"
In response to Reply # 0

otherwise just quit lying.

double negative
22151 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:55 PM

15. "mmmmm - Noriega"
In response to Reply # 5

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:32 PM

8. "If someone is committing crimes/victimising people"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-08-19 02:42 PM by Adwhizz

I have no problem with people actively trying to bring them to Justice legally

I have an issue if you try to get all their material banned and try to shame people for still listening/watching their material as if you condone and endorse their crimes.

On a long enough time line talent WILL win out and shine through.

Being a good person doesn't equal being a good artist or make people obligated to pay attention to your creative work or give you money for it.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Tw3nty
Member since Jan 02nd 2007
8466 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:42 PM

9. "I'll be happy when cancel culture catches up to religion"
In response to Reply # 0

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:42 PM

10. "Thomas Jefferson - 44 / Sally Hemmings - 14"
In response to Reply # 0

...at most when she birthed their first slave child.
Was he ever canceled?

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:52 PM

13. "People bring this shit up about Jefferson all the time"
In response to Reply # 10

You can Google these things if you want

------

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:12 PM

19. "it's a joke "
In response to Reply # 13

but was the motherfucker ever canceled?
google it.
that's what i thought.
stop!

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:17 PM

22. "For such a slow board fools still be quick to jump out the bushes... lo..."
In response to Reply # 19

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:46 PM

24. " ha! 'google it'"
In response to Reply # 22

http://bfy.tw/Mf74

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 05:09 PM

33. "Has anyone ever ACTUALLY been 'cancelled?'"
In response to Reply # 19

Like, what is that supposed to mean?

------

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:06 PM

37. "stop"
In response to Reply # 33

why wasn't that your first question then?
here's my answer though...google it.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 02:43 PM

48. "I googled it, they said it's a strawman"
In response to Reply # 37

------

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "There's two categories: Criminals and non-criminals."
In response to Reply # 0

MJ, Kellz, Cosby, Woody Allen, Weinstein, etc. They're all criminals. They all deserve what has come to them so far, (at the very least - Woody Allen hasn't suffered anything tangible).

With the non-criminals who get canceled or dragged, there is zero long-term plan to the Cancel Culture that descends upon them. It's only happening because it's an emotional release for those doing the canceling. This is a result of social media and the internet allowing people to connect with complete strangers and therefore allowing ideas, sentiments and national moods to spread from coast to coast in seconds, minutes, hours and days.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85058 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 02:58 PM

16. "be perfect or suffer."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:12 PM

20. "Not a fan of erasing chapters from books "
In response to Reply # 0

Justice is welcomed and necessary for those that hurt others, but the history should remain untouched IMO.

It’s not like Fox has a statue of Michael Jackson’s Simpsons character on public display outside their production offices.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:13 PM

21. "i'm so tired of these buzzwords"
In response to Reply # 0

its so frustrating to have a relevant societal question be posed like 'what to do with good art made by people who have done bad things' be undermined by somebody writing a buzzword in a headline to make it look like a group of people wielding an ideology like a sack of oranges

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:19 PM

41. "yeah, it's an interesting discussion"
In response to Reply # 21

a couple of 'virtue signalling' buzzwords here and there and shit goes off the rails quickly. (yeah i was being facetious)

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Mynoriti
Charter member
38816 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 12:54 PM

95. "virtue signaling is an unfortunate one"
In response to Reply # 41

I kinda like it but it's just about always said by shitbirds. I think it's a real and common thing that I dont always necessarily think is negative. And like a lot of other loaded terms that are used to clown lefties (safe spaces, outrage culture), virtue signaling is not at all exclusive to liberals

but even saying 'virtue signaling' is a form of virtue signaling that you're the type of person who says virtue signaling

>a couple of 'virtue signalling' buzzwords here and there and
>shit goes off the rails quickly. (yeah i was being facetious)

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:22 PM

23. "Good post, I was actually thinking about this IRT Picasso "
In response to Reply # 0

I believe there are stories of him having relationships with underage girls

I don't think that will impact his paintings

As long as people continue to support the Catholic Church, how do we make these decisions on who is cancelled?

Personally, I'm going to continue to separate art and artists.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 04:57 PM

26. "lying ass muthafucka"
In response to Reply # 23

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 05:07 PM

30. "wat?"
In response to Reply # 23
Fri Mar-08-19 05:08 PM by Marauder21

>As long as people continue to support the Catholic Church, how
>do we make these decisions on who is cancelled?

"Sorry, people still go to church, so I'm going to keep bumping the Ignition remix"

------

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 03:49 PM

25. "people will become more insular."
In response to Reply # 0

there'll be less sharing, more atomizing.
that atomization will somehow be ground into capital.

(see: Spotify and others)

there's probably a really good socialist takedown of all of this shit just the more I think about it

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 05:00 PM

29. "this approach reminds me of a woman i dated years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

during the era of the first flip camera phones....which is another story.
she'd call and cuss me out, then would dramatically hang up before the second word calmly left my mouth to respond. she'd block/ignore my number so i couldn't call her back...until she missed me.

that approach never worked for long. time heals wounds, people forget, no one is perfect and people eventually deserve forgiveness--especially considering our judeo christian traditions when it comes to repentance.

popularity with Memes or celebrities glorifying the way they'll quickly block anyone they disagree with on social media. or, the method successful pundits, like tucker carelson, use during debates by cutting mics when their argument becomes inferior. or how angela rye will overtalk--using snappy/witty hottakes and declaring 'dumb'--her challengers. Drake's once popular motto of 'no new friends'. perhaps being inundate, throughout the last 10 years or so, with methods of human interaction like those are the reason for the rise.

overcoming disagreements by arriving at a middle ground and coalition building is a far more productive way to make progress.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 05:08 PM

31. "oh my god."
In response to Reply # 29

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 05:08 PM

32. "y'all really think you invented ostracization"
In response to Reply # 31

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:04 PM

36. "i think you've been ostracized your whole life, in real life"
In response to Reply # 32

so you come here to lash out.
and you often forget to take your meds.
but don't worry...no one in this post can cancel you.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:18 PM

40. "you should try not thinking"
In response to Reply # 36

thinking isn't going well for you.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:42 PM

42. "homes, worry about getting to the pharmacy before they close."
In response to Reply # 40

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:47 PM

43. "went yesterday, needed some hydrocortisone"
In response to Reply # 42

had to go twice cuz they didn't have it when they said they would, so frustrating.

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Sat Mar-09-19 01:10 AM

46. "well played"
In response to Reply # 43

you're my fav Mod
the Armond White of GD

flipnile
13565 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:11 PM

39. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em18QlnkCp0"
In response to Reply # 29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em18QlnkCp0

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 05:28 PM

34. "Cosby reruns are still playing."
In response to Reply # 0

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:10 PM

38. "maybe once a week...on one channel, with no ratings"
In response to Reply # 34

https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/the-cosby-show/tv-listings/100456/
the show was as ubiquitous as law and order, you cant claim that.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 06:59 PM

44. "On TVOne or Bounce at 4AM. "
In response to Reply # 34

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 07:21 PM

45. "cancel inconvenient scheduling culture"
In response to Reply # 44

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Fri Mar-08-19 05:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "I'm canceling neither R. Kelly or Mike Jack's music ,"
In response to Reply # 0

but I hope R. Kelly goes to JAIL JAIL JAIL, PERIODT!

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 03:28 PM

50. "Americans have no problem singing the Starred Spangled Banner"
In response to Reply # 35

and we know what that song represents.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sat Mar-09-19 09:47 AM

47. "optimally, awful men will be viewed less favorably"
In response to Reply # 0

to the point where it's socially unacceptable to support rapists and abusers

that's my understanding of cancel culture

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 03:29 PM

51. "What does someone being "cancelled" look like?"
In response to Reply # 0

And who has it actually happened to?

Did Asziz Ansari get cancelled?

------

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 03:41 PM

52. "they don't want to discuss this"
In response to Reply # 51

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 03:46 PM

53. "I'm completely sincere"
In response to Reply # 52

Because Louis CK doesn't look like Asziz Ansari doesn't look like Matt Lauer doesn't look like R Kelly.

And at what point do you actually take public opinion into the matter?

------

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 04:22 PM

55. "I'm glad you bring up Aziz because he was a lesson for the country"
In response to Reply # 51

we were really jumpy with him

he is an example of not exactly wrong but also not exactly right.

I'd say hes not canceled but that situation really tarnished his image and it potentially dinged the legitimacy of the me too movement...or rather, its not that it dinged the legitimacy but its a high profile example where people who do not believe in the movement will point and say "See! Women be lying" when really...its a complicated thing.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 04:28 PM

57. "who the fuck is we?"
In response to Reply # 55

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 05:09 PM

60. "The country. "
In response to Reply # 57

I think of the collective consciousness of the country

so when I say we I'm thinking about what folks are thinking about.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 05:13 PM

61. "your hallucinations are not a country."
In response to Reply # 60

ain't no we.

show me exactly how you personally overreacted.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35863 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 09:23 AM

110. "but you can't possibly know tho"
In response to Reply # 60

cuz i (and many others) don't agree with what you said. so how are you able to even ruminate on what "the country" thinks or feels?

people need to stop doing that shit.

d

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 06:33 PM

63. "He's headlining a world tour right now, though"
In response to Reply # 55
Mon Mar-11-19 06:36 PM by Marauder21

So I'm not sure how tarnished his image is. What did he actually lose?

Also I'm not sure how it dings a movement's credibility and says "women lying," nobody lied in that situation. Nobody, including Asziz, disputed that.

------

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 08:17 PM

75. "Yeah I think cooler heads prevailed with Aziz."
In response to Reply # 63

The thing is, anything written academically about a casual sexual encounter will probably sound creepy at a minimum. I don't think he was in the right there, but I also think it just read like a really bad date to me. It's something he probably learned a lot from, and I'm sure it was embarrassing.

It's way, way different than the criminal stuff that's come out about others, obviously. He wasn't "cancelled". From all accounts, he's addressing it in his stand up right now.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 09:49 PM

76. "who was the hotter head that didn't prevail exactly?"
In response to Reply # 75

describing it as a "bad date" is not telling the truth about what happened. if you say it sounded like a bad date I'd appreciate if you went back to specific details of what it said he did (that, iirc, he did not actually refute)

and pretending like people were demanding..what again to happen to him?

Ryan M
43737 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 09:34 AM

90. "I haven’t read that since it came out so maybe you’re right. "
In response to Reply # 76

I’ll revisit.

With regards to the “cancelling” - with Aziz, I’m in a bubble as I work in comedy so I saw a lot of “what do we do” talk and it was clear it wasn’t ok to book him for things for awhile. You see the same thing with others right now - Louis of course, TJ MIller, etc. so the “cancel” of it all is more insular than the general public.

Basically - with all these people, it’s pretty clear it’s not ok to work with them right now and taboo To say you’re a fan. Which is weird.

17x NBA Champions

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 04:11 PM

105. "it's just weird"
In response to Reply # 90

like, the reaction was loud, and iirc, mostly women talking about how common that behavior is, and it definitely got hot for dude but I don't remember anyone even really discussing like...boycotts or protests against him or much of anything dealing with him beyond an op-ed.

he lost a lot of fans, surely, but I don't remember people coming for him to take something other than the cachet that was driving the sales of his relationship book which...fair?

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 04:17 PM

54. "I might return to the art if I can mentally separate it from the person"
In response to Reply # 0

R Kelly is basically done for me. I can't listen to much of his stuff without thinking about what he's accused of doing.

I can separate MJ and Cosby though.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 04:27 PM

56. "Cancel Culture is the lamest mess ever. "
In response to Reply # 0

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” ~ Albert Einstein

"I cannot see how nature could have created itself. Only a supernatural force that is outside of space and time could have done that. ~ Francis Collins

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 06:34 PM

64. "LMAO, thank you for this"
In response to Reply # 56

Just a real beauty of a combination of post and poster

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 10:08 AM

65. "Man the pendulum swings back and forth on everything. "
In response to Reply # 0

There will be kids who idea of rebelling will be sneaking around go to R Kelly music only parties.

Banished art always makes a comeback among counter-cultured types.

Shit after thoroughly discussing Surviving R Kelly and how terrible a person he is and how we hope he burns in hell, at a recent gathering of mostly women one of the women said, "I will say I hadn't heard that Sparkle joint in a while and it was sounding good". That lead to some playing of R Kelly Adjacent joints (Mr. Biggs, Kelly Price, Sparkle, etc.) and ended with folks stepping in the name of love. I videotaped the whole thing in order to blackmail these "progressive folks".

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 12:06 PM

66. "my man."
In response to Reply # 65

>Shit after thoroughly discussing Surviving R Kelly and how
>terrible a person he is and how we hope he burns in hell, at a
>recent gathering of mostly women one of the women said, "I
>will say I hadn't heard that Sparkle joint in a while and it
>was sounding good". That lead to some playing of R Kelly
>Adjacent joints (Mr. Biggs, Kelly Price, Sparkle, etc.) and
>ended with folks stepping in the name of love. I videotaped
>the whole thing in order to blackmail these "progressive
>folks".

Ride the Soundwave.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 03:31 PM

67. "imagine being friends with a fuckin snitch"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 04:00 PM

69. "^^Just admitted to fantasizing about being my friend"
In response to Reply # 67

All makes sense now.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 07:55 PM

72. "yes, I do occasionally have nightmares."
In response to Reply # 69

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 08:58 AM

86. "What are you going to blackmail them for?"

These people are rich?

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 09:31 AM

89. "It's a joke bruh bruh. "
In response to Reply # 86

It was my wife and her sisters. They started stepping in the name of love. I recorded, they were like you better not put that on social media.

That's it.

All jokes. At least they were until OKP got hold of it.

flipnile
13565 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 09:54 AM

92. "A few OKPs apparently don't 'get' humor"
In response to Reply # 89
Wed Mar-13-19 09:55 AM by flipnile

You ever notice that some posters take every word you say 100% at face value, never read between the lines and are bad at picking up sarcasm?

They never make any funny jokes themselves either, nor riff off of other jokes. Just basic insults and personal attacks.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 03:11 PM

101. "D'Angelo Russell type dude over here"

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 03:14 PM

102. "Oh, you mean you weren't seriously going to extort them for money"

in a way that would have been impossible and would've made you look even weirder than you did by admitting you filmed people spontaneously stepping in a way that definitely happened?

Now I don't know what to believe!

------

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 03:40 PM

68. "there is no plan."
In response to Reply # 0

we just react to things that sound/feel good at the time. if we continue on this cancel culture, it'll eliminate so much shit that folks do for entertainment and living in general.

its an impossible task to scale.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 04:18 PM

70. "What is getting eliminated?"
In response to Reply # 68

Who is actually being "cancelled" and what does that mean?

------

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 05:02 PM

71. "the #muterkelly movement"
In response to Reply # 70

is an example of cancel culture. taking the art, created by those that are deemed bad for society, off the media outlets.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 07:56 PM

73. "do you have trouble playing r kelly when you want to hear him?"
In response to Reply # 71

is he hard to find on any service anywhere?

show me.

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 10:02 PM

77. "I've never been a fan of his music,"
In response to Reply # 73

so I don't go looking for it.

nobody said this cancel shit was effective. that's one of the problems with it.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:13 AM

79. "so there is no cancel problem. cool. thank you."
In response to Reply # 77

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 08:08 AM

82. "His music isn't gone, though"
In response to Reply # 71

There are some outlets that aren't currently playing it, but it isn't gone. Hell, Buddy filmed a whole room full of people stepping in the name of love to R Kelly in a story that definitely happened not too long ago.

So if R Kelly's music isn't actually gone, what is being taken away from you?

------

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 09:03 AM

87. "I hadn't read the whole thread before posting."
In response to Reply # 82

so, I agree with you. its not a real thing. more of an idea that will never work outside of personal choices.

Ryan M
43737 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 08:14 PM

74. "It's really interesting."
In response to Reply # 0

Because as we've seen, there's often more to the story than the internet takes into the account before all the facts come out. I've been guilty of it, certainly. I'm trying not to be.

But yeah I think cancel culture is overall weird. I think it's very much a personal choice and I personally wouldn't judge someone for muting or cancelling someone. PERSONALLY, I think R. Kelly is easier to "mute" than Michael Jackson, because so much of his dirt was in the music. It's kinda hard to get into a song that says, "My mind's telling me no, but my body's telling me yes" in light of everything we know.

I think it's varying degrees of severity and that should change how people take in their work. Woody Allen movies take on quite a dark tone. But Billie Jean is a banger. I dunno man. I don't think anyone is thinking long term about any of this, but I think it's a very personal choice as to whether or not you celebrate the work of someone who turned out to be terrible.

17x NBA Champions

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 10:46 PM

78. "on this note: Johnny Depp"
In response to Reply # 0

look, I'm not TRYING to be THAT dude, because it's never been my position...

but between this and Smollett this is really bothering me how jabronis are fucking with the public trust like this. dealing arms to Decepticons like SHIT.

link: https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/03/reactions-to-johnny-depp-lawsuit-against-amber-heard

I had no comment on this matter before.
now? yikes.
the receipts are piling. video footage.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:33 AM

80. "what receipts?"
In response to Reply # 78
Wed Mar-13-19 01:36 AM by Rjcc

literally every complex article is "here's some stuff some randos tweeted"

now it says people are uncanceling johnny depp (he was canceled?)...based on some randos and one verified account that's a..sports reporter for some local news station with like a thousand followers.

I have seen no one on twitter I follow even commenting on depp, much less "uncancelling" him

complex is so fucking stupid they're citing alt-righters as "evidence"

https://twitter.com/truthhurts06

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 08:24 AM

83. "Right, he gave a batshit interview to Rolling Stone"
In response to Reply # 80

and went on to star in the Harry Potter spinoff.

Is "cancelling" just when people on Twitter are mad at someone? The only definition of it I've seen in this thread is "not what happened to Asziz."

It's not having your past works of art eliminated, because that hasn't actually happened to anyone.
It's not legal consequences, because outside of R Kelly, nobody who was "cancelled" has faced any (and R Kelly already skated on his for decades.)

Again, is it just people saying they won't see Johnny Depp's movies going forward? Because I've had that policy myself for years now (mostly because I never got into the Pirates movies and as I get older I have a much lower tolerance for Tim Burton putting Johnny Depp in dumb hats and calling it a movie.)

------

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 12:52 AM

109. "I haven't seen a johnny depp movie since edward scissorhands"
In response to Reply # 83

not because of cancel culture but because he's in shit I don't watch.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 08:45 AM

84. "I dunno, surveillance camera videos?"
In response to Reply # 80

much less 87 of them submitted in total, sound pretty damning. not to mention neutral eyewitnesses being cited.

we'll find out more as the suit progresses.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 11:54 PM

108. "did you notice everyone cited in that article"
In response to Reply # 84

is either paid to provide johnny depp legal defense

or is an alt-righter?

I don't know what those video show or don't show, but literally everything about their version of what has happened to depp in te last few years isn't true.

afaik, no one has been burning down his house or anything? people tweeted about him..grindlewald came out, and the only bad thing that's happened to dude is his agent apparently stole all of his money.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 02:47 AM

81. "fucking cancel culture even hits videogames wtf"
In response to Reply # 0

https://kotaku.com/after-cocaine-arrest-sega-halts-sales-of-game-1833252934

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 08:49 AM

85. "for using COKE?! LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
In response to Reply # 81

I know the laws on that are different over there but this is crazy.

Nodima
15297 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 02:55 PM

99. "This is very much a Japan thing; curious how Sega of America acts"
In response to Reply # 81

Drug law is STRICT over there, and getting caught using is a huge loss of face. I know SoA works under Sega but westerners have a much more lenient view on drug use.

I'm curious to see what the official statement on this is, my first guess is that they didn't think to include breach of contract language in their contract with the actor, or at least didn't think to cover arrests, and that due to his likeness being in the game they don't want to be seen as a company paying royalties to a known drug user.

Maybe they Kevin Spacey him and re-release the game in Japan alongside the US release if they can't cancel his royalties?

~~~~~~~~~

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 09:04 AM

88. "Hopefully not for too much longer."
In response to Reply # 0

This is the dumbest thing ever that people come up with to deal with a matter.

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 09:50 AM

91. "lol at people acting like"
In response to Reply # 0

bc cancel culture isn't good at cancelling...it isn't a thing

Master of None and Louis both got killed behind it and their every joke and workshop is being scrutinized in ways most people find stupid as fuck

but keep fucking that chicken guise

weak ass attention spans doesn't negate cancel culture

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:15 PM

97. "Master of None didn't get killed at all"
In response to Reply # 91

Asziz doesn't want to do one yet and Netflix was still open to doing another one when he's ready as recently as last fall. Where are you hearing it's dead?

What do you think Louis CK was accused of?

------

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 03:09 PM

100. "who killed louis ck's show and how did they do it?"
In response to Reply # 91

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 11:44 AM

93. "Cancel Culture is performative wokeness and its trash..."
In response to Reply # 0

If you want to mute someone, change the station. If you try to tell me what I should and shouldn't listen to, you're trying to assume a level of control over me and I'm never going to accept that.

IMO....if someone makes a transgression or commits a crime, ensure that they're held accountable in the court of law and keep it moving. I don't have the time or patience nor do I care to scroll through a ledger of past fuckups to determine whether or not I want to play an album. My choice to listen or not listen to an artist does absolutely nothing for the actual victim--cancelling 12 Play or Thriller is basically the woke version of 'thoughts and prayers'.

---------------------------------------

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 01:29 PM

98. "Wait, is "cancel culture" just criticizing another person?"
In response to Reply # 93

Like if I'm listening to Honey Love and you say "that's fucked up," is that cancel culture? What if I'm a DJ and I decide I personally don't want to play his music anymore at my sets? I'm depriving all of the people who are there R Kelly's music, but was I ever obligated to do so to begin with? Does that change if it's a radio station?

I guess I'm unsure why "changing the station" is ok, but not playing him on your station is over the line.

------

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 12:27 PM

94. "That "whataboutism" idea as a negative is really odd."
In response to Reply # 0

Because "what about this injustice right here" is a request for equality (equal application of justice across the board), so the response "don't worry about the white folks" is both anti-equality and pro-white supremacy.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 12:58 PM

96. "It's not that people are against equality...."
In response to Reply # 94

It's how 'whataboutism' overshadows the issue being discussed. If we're talking about R. Kelly and you say "What about Harvey Weinstein?", I'm smh at that because doing that feeds into that line of conspiracy theories about how all famous black people are being targeted and that argument does nothing for the issue at hand.

Also, the white people that have done similar things are being indicted. Documentaries are being made about them. The black people I've heard use whataboutisms don't really pay attention to issues/people outside of their black bubble until it's convenient. And they are also the same people that were totally fine with people like R. Kelly and Michael Jackson before despite the fact that the problems with these artists now were present years ago.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 12:33 PM

104. "Oh that's exactly what it is."
In response to Reply # 96

>It's how 'whataboutism' overshadows the issue being
>discussed. If we're talking about R. Kelly and you say "What
>about Harvey Weinstein?", I'm smh at that because doing that
>feeds into that line of conspiracy theories about how all
>famous black people are being targeted and that argument does
>nothing for the issue at hand.

"Feeds into that line of conspiracy theories" is nonsense for 2 reasons.
1)The question "what about Harvey Weinstein" is a standalone question and does not speak to any racial element. Assuming why the person is asking is your attempt to dismiss them by giving them their argument rather than hearing them out.
2) Provided the person elaborates by addressing the racial element, the targeting of black people is not a conspiracy. It's documented fact for many, many years now... as is making black people the face of crimes which are committed by whites in much greater numbers/percentages. See:the myth of the Black rapist, drug use, etc.

>Also, the white people that have done similar things are being
>indicted. Documentaries are being made about them.

Most definitely. Weinstein is on trial and all we're talking about are 20 yr old R.Kelly accusations and DEAD Michael Jackson documentaries. Makes perfect sense. But when does that HBO Weinstein documentary drop? When does the HBO documentary about Robert Downey Jr, our beloved Iron Man drop? That one's gonna be REALLY interesting. Seriously, I wanna know the date this is appearing at Sundance. Oh and the David Bowie documentary. Man if you're right,these people are really busy catching up with the white offenders. That Elvis doc about crossing state lines to marry underaged girls gonna be epic.

>The black
>people I've heard use whataboutisms don't really pay attention
>to issues/people outside of their black bubble until it's
>convenient. And they are also the same people that were
>totally fine with people like R. Kelly and Michael Jackson
>before despite the fact that the problems with these artists
>now were present years ago.

R.Kelly been called scum all across the Black community for a long time now. It's those following white folks orders who are just now catching up, because white folks said so. MJ's allegations are way too questionable and outright proven BS for him to undergo wide scale cancellation. Fortunately, it takes more than white people making up shit and propping Oprah up for some of us to go along with any ol lie.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 11:11 PM

106. "Thank you! Cats get me with the double standard."
In response to Reply # 104

Since 1976

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 11:52 PM

107. "what up boogie"

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 07:19 AM

114. "You see it"

flipnile
13565 posts
Wed Mar-13-19 03:16 PM

103. "It should be apparent that social media mobs don't make plans"
In response to Reply # 0

Beyond step 1: Shame, destroy, ruin, get fired, etc.

Reuben
Member since Mar 13th 2006
1857 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 11:24 AM

111. "art and culture manufactured and pre-approved by the state"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-16-19 11:35 AM by Reuben

this shit is retarded like the enlightenment period hasn't happened already, it has and it was decided art doesn't have to be moral or be made by morally riotous ppl.

lie how do you know your postman don't beat his wifes head in everynight? you don't

the only way you can ensure you only engage with ppl you agree with morally is by living in small tight knit communities where everybody really knows everybody, but capitalism doesn't allow for that

http://hardboiledbabesanddarkchocolate.tumblr.co

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Sat Mar-16-19 04:05 PM

112. "what the fuck"
In response to Reply # 111

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 05:42 AM

113. "the short term plan of cancel culture is to get trump re-elected in 2020"
In response to Reply # 0

luminous
Charter member
12475 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 10:49 AM

115. "Louis Vuitton Removing Michael Jackson-Themed Clothing"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-17-19 10:57 AM by luminous

https://pitchfork.com/news/louis-vuitton-removing-michael-jackson-themed-clothing-from-new-collection-following-leaving-neverland/

https://www.thefader.com/2019/03/15/louis-vuitton-virgil-abloh-michael-jackson-collection-pulled

watch the show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmW_rxxkUT4

--
Sometimes you have to look reality in the face and say 'No!'
-Ben (Reaper)

If you need any help, don't. Hesitate to ask.

Rjcc
Charter member
94963 posts
Mon Apr-01-19 08:59 PM

116. "I just turned on my TV and the cosby show was on"
In response to Reply # 0

still waiting to hear who has been cancelled

Lobby General Discussion topic #13318455 Previous topic | Next topic