Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13310872

Subject: "Public vs Private schools: What side are you on?" Previous topic | Next topic
Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 03:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Public vs Private schools: What side are you on?"
Thu Jan-31-19 03:48 PM by Creole

https://www.complex.com/music/2019/01/killer-mike-and-dj-envy-get-in-a-heated-public-school-debate

I heard a snippet of their debate and now can't wait to catch it all.

Personally, I wasn't footing the bill for private school since I bust my ass to be have my kids in the right areas for their public school education. One went through Inman Middle and then on to Grady. And the other went to middle and high school in Pikesville. There was no need for a private school education with them going through those schools. If scholarships had come their way for them to attend St. Pius or McDonough, I wouldn't have objected but I wasn't paying for it.

All that to say, I know some dummies from out them local elite private schools and I know some dummies outta the public schools. Parental involvement, in the schools and with their child(ren), as well as a solid administration is what helps in both cases.

Where do you fall?

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why they got to be sides though. LOL.
Jan 31st 2019
Don't have to be sides at all. It just gets the people goin'...
Jan 31st 2019
that's sides exactly lol
Jan 31st 2019
I see private and public similar to healthcare.
Jan 31st 2019
Public & Private schools > Charter Schools
Jan 31st 2019
100% agree
Jan 31st 2019
all of that depends on the school
Jan 31st 2019
Man my homey runs a charter school and they doing God's Work
Jan 31st 2019
      Scared me for a second. I thought you were referring to T.M. Landry...
Jan 31st 2019
      True. I only see the charters in Philly.
Jan 31st 2019
LAUSD sucks
Jan 31st 2019
depends on which schools, though, right? LAUSD is huge.
Jan 31st 2019
      i said what i said
Jan 31st 2019
           ok. fair enough.
Jan 31st 2019
Public
Jan 31st 2019
Healthy public schools are way more vital to our country's well being
Jan 31st 2019
my choice was made by my child
Jan 31st 2019
Don’t know yet......
Jan 31st 2019
Public
Feb 01st 2019
So this school is a scam?
Feb 01st 2019
      Is this report from Florida a scam?
Feb 01st 2019
Here's my beef with the whole "Wait till they 13".... A child can EASILY
Feb 01st 2019
& LOL at this Beige Rage meter ....when they start that!?! lol..I feel s...
Feb 01st 2019
Can your baby girl be promoted to a higher grade that wld challenge her?
Feb 01st 2019
Haven't explored that, likely won't honestly. I don't believe it's the s...
Feb 01st 2019
      Gotcha...
Feb 01st 2019
this is what forced my hand to private school
Feb 01st 2019
keep your fingers crossed for us fam!
Feb 01st 2019
My son's fifth grade teacher told us that when he was headed to middle.....
Feb 01st 2019
      Yeah, that's why the whole Private vs. Public debate is so tough. There ...
Feb 01st 2019
Put my son in private school partly because of this
Feb 01st 2019
Public (well and equitably funded).
Feb 01st 2019
Public
Feb 01st 2019
You know our city, so I think you'll relate to what I'm saying
Feb 03rd 2019

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 03:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Why they got to be sides though. LOL. "
In response to Reply # 0

I am all for public schools, and I send my kids to private school.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 03:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Don't have to be sides at all. It just gets the people goin'... "
In response to Reply # 1

Mike looked like he wanted to smack Envy's high yella arse though.

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 03:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "that's sides exactly lol"
In response to Reply # 1

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 03:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I see private and public similar to healthcare. "
In response to Reply # 0

A good basic education should be a right. If you got the money to put your kids in a school that is better than by all means.

I hate how public school get shit on, its an endless cycle. Uppity people want exclusivity in their schools so Public schools are "bad"> lets get away from those school, lets set up charter schools or move> less funding for the schools> public schools become worst> see told you public school are bad.

Same with health care, if you got the money to have better insurance for a private doctor that only sees wealthy premium super platinum black card member. Ok go ahead.

I hope this is something that gets fixed.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 03:51 PM

4. "Public & Private schools > Charter Schools"
In response to Reply # 0

Public & Private schools can coexist together without too much draining of resources from one to the other.

Charter schools directly take money from pubic schools (at least around here). Charters outsource management (and blame) tho.

walihorse
Member since Aug 03rd 2006
16125 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 03:53 PM

6. "100% agree"
In response to Reply # 4

a lot of charter school are scams.

¿If a fat guy falls in the woods and there is no one around to see it, do the trees laugh?

tariqhu
Charter member
17893 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 03:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "all of that depends on the school"
In response to Reply # 4

some charters have management companies that run them. others are independent.

the drain is likely per school or region. in my county, they're not taking money from public schools. charters are public schools.

there's also the argument of charters pulling the best kids out of the other pub schools. again it depends. they're pulling from the same pool of kids that house the other pub schools. so they're not necessarily going to get the smartest kids. they'll get kids that live nearest and those the want another option.

my kids have done charters. my son is still in there. my problem with charters is they sell hope. I won't do other charters unless they're got a proven track record. new ones haven't established themselves. admins are new to whatever they're doing. lots of politics. well intentioned employees and teachers, but just without the knowledge to make a school a great option and not just another option.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 04:02 PM

8. "Man my homey runs a charter school and they doing God's Work"
In response to Reply # 4

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/nyregion/afrocentric-schools-segregation-brooklyn.html

I challenge someone to sh*t on what they doing here. Yeah there are some rotten apples but you can't paint all charter schools with the same brush.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 04:50 PM

11. "Scared me for a second. I thought you were referring to T.M. Landry..."
In response to Reply # 8

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/us/tm-landry-college-prep-black-students.html

in my home state. He's down there doing "Gawd's Work" too.

flipnile
13575 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 05:16 PM

14. "True. I only see the charters in Philly. "
In response to Reply # 8
Thu Jan-31-19 05:18 PM by flipnile

>Yeah
>there are some rotten apples but you can't paint all charter
>schools with the same brush.

There are a few good charters here in the city, no doubt. I looked at one for my son a few years ago.

Quite a few of the "average" ones seem to offer the same quality of education as the neighborhood public schools, or worse. My so started out in a charter, that was quite good at first. The staff, teacher and school climate were GREAT. I knew a few of the teachers from college, and *their* kids attended. Then things went downhill for what later turned out to be internal struggles and later mismanagement by new staff. I put him in a new school in 2017 once I saw the writing on the wall in 2016. Most recent article about the school: http://www.philly.com/philly/education/khepera-charter-school-philadelphia-closing-20181109.html

One non-biased thing about charters here is that they fragment the money available for public schools, and don't have the same level of oversight that the public schools do.

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 04:17 PM

9. "LAUSD sucks"
In response to Reply # 0

just wanted to get that in there

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 04:51 PM

13. "depends on which schools, though, right? LAUSD is huge."
In response to Reply # 9

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 05:18 PM

15. "i said what i said"
In response to Reply # 13

what you describe is PART of the problem

the gap between Balboa Gifted and Florence Griffith Joyner elementary (for example) is shameful

GOMEZ
5614 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 05:26 PM

16. "ok. fair enough. "
In response to Reply # 15

i know a few folks down there who teach, and the experience does vary widely from school to school, which is def a flaw in LAUSD as a whole.

The max class size of 36 students if fucking stupid.

-Hunter S. Thompson

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 04:26 PM

10. "Public"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

GOMEZ
5614 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 04:50 PM

12. "Healthy public schools are way more vital to our country's well being"
In response to Reply # 0

My kids have gone to a mix of public/charter schools and we're fortunate enough to live in an area where the schools are as good as you want to make them, and not any kind of impediment to future success.

I also live like 30 miles from plenty of 1 & 2 rated schools (out of 10), and if i lived down there i would strongly consider private school.

Does that put me on a team?

-Hunter S. Thompson

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 05:28 PM

17. "my choice was made by my child"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-31-19 05:30 PM by tomjohn29

be was not challenged in public school
went to a pretty good school but would cause trouble because he bored
tested to get into a private school
best choice for him

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 06:13 PM

18. "Don’t know yet......"
In response to Reply # 0

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 11:06 AM

19. "Public"
In response to Reply # 0

Charter schools are documented scams wrought with fraud, abuse, and underperforming students.

Why do I have to pay extra to get my seed good education?

We already pay taxes. Don't even get me started on Republicans slashing education budgets to Nerf public schools to the benefit of rich donors that profit off charter schools...

Just take $600 billion from corporations and trillionaires and fix public schools. Take it out of the defense budget. This is an easy fix.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 11:21 AM

20. "So this school is a scam?"
In response to Reply # 19

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/nyregion/afrocentric-schools-segregation-brooklyn.html

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 11:51 AM

21. "Is this report from Florida a scam?"
In response to Reply # 20

http://www.integrityflorida.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/charter-school-report-final.pdf?utm_source=Integrity+Florida+Report+News+Release%3A+Monday%2C+September+17%2C+2018&utm_campaign=Integrity+Florida+Report+Press+Release%3A+Wednesday%2C+February+25%2C+2015&utm_medium=email

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 11:56 AM

22. "Here's my beef with the whole "Wait till they 13".... A child can EASILY"
In response to Reply # 0

get lost in the system way before then....
Right.now..

My daughter is smart...brilliant...off the charts IQ...alladat. She's in kindergarten...but easily at 2nd & 3rd grade levels in various subjects.
Been reading.
BEEN talking.
BEEN writing.
BEEN coloring in the lines.
BEEN counting by 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s
BEEN solving problems.

We been told all these years... "Arlington, VA has GREAT schools..."
yada yada yada...

1st day..
Take her to school.
25 kids!
1 teacher!
ok..
we gonna chill...see what it do for a few months...

Fall come around...1st Parent Teacher conference..
Teacher talking to us...nice lady...
"She's doing GREAT so far!"
"As a matter of fact, she's already well ahead of the curriculum, actually she's pretty much where we want all the kids to be by the end of the year."

so we like...

"Ummm...so yeah we KNOW this...but...what are y'all proposing to do to push her and keep her engaged?"

teacher like...

"Well...Arlington County's goal is to make sure all the students are on equal footing. We'll hone her skills by having her assist and share her wealth of knowledge and bring the other kids up to her level."

our jaws dropped..

FOH...

That's the start of OUR kids being put in a position to fail.

And it happens waay too often...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 12:05 PM

23. "& LOL at this Beige Rage meter ....when they start that!?! lol..I feel s..."
In response to Reply # 22

way...

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 12:14 PM

24. "Can your baby girl be promoted to a higher grade that wld challenge her?"

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 12:20 PM

26. "Haven't explored that, likely won't honestly. I don't believe it's the s..."
In response to Reply # 24

to the actual problem root problems of:
-student to teacher ratios
-curriculum being frequently behind the curve

There's the Gifted Students program which we've gotten the ball rolling on already...but in our school system they don't actively do anything in Gifted Student services until 2nd grade. So we have another year (1st grade) of her likely not being challenged and getting further entrenched into the "Do just enough, we're all equal" mentality of the public school system here.

So...for white kids....that's ok...because they're the majority in society and yes, they'll generally stay on track and likely get AHEAD of the curve in short order..because society is geared towards their success.

For minority kids (Black especially)..our kids immediately have hurdles to their progress from day 1.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 12:41 PM

28. "Gotcha..."
In response to Reply # 26

RE: Haven't explored that, likely won't honestly. I don't believe it's the solution
>to the actual problem root problems of:
>-student to teacher ratios
>-curriculum being frequently behind the curve

It's definitely not the solution overall but it could solve the intermediate issue of your baby not being challenged enough.

>There's the Gifted Students program which we've gotten the
>ball rolling on already...but in our school system they don't
>actively do anything in Gifted Student services until 2nd
>grade. So we have another year (1st grade) of her likely not
>being challenged and getting further entrenched into the "Do
>just enough, we're all equal" mentality of the public school
>system here.

Get her moved up one grade now and then you only have to wait til next school year for her to be challenged more. And still, if this is not an option, you guys keep doing the awesome job you're doing by supplementing the mediocrity with additional stimulation for her young brain.

>So...for white kids....that's ok...because they're the
>majority in society and yes, they'll generally stay on track
>and likely get AHEAD of the curve in short order..because
>society is geared towards their success.
>
>For minority kids (Black especially)..our kids immediately
>have hurdles to their progress from day 1.
True. When my kids were in school, I got selfish and focused mainly on their education. I let everyone else's parents worry about theirs.

>"Get ready....for your blessing....."

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 12:18 PM

25. "this is what forced my hand to private school"

teacher told us it would be a disservice to my son to have him stay there
he's happier
we broker
shrug

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 12:20 PM

27. "keep your fingers crossed for us fam! "
In response to Reply # 25

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 12:51 PM

29. "My son's fifth grade teacher told us that when he was headed to middle....."
In response to Reply # 25

>RE: this is what forced my hand to private school
>teacher told us it would be a disservice to my son to have
>him stay there
>he's happier
>we broker
>shrug

school in Atlanta. He was zoned to attend Toomer since he and his mom lived in Kirkwood at the time. I increased the child support to help her afford to live in Inman's zone because it fed into Grady. He was in the honors and GT program the entire time. The kids that went to Toomer ultimately ended up at Grady anyway but none of them were in the classes he was taking.

I could afford to increase that child support but I couldn't do child support and pay tuition for a private school. To do so, I'd have had to work a PT which would have been hard to do because I was finishing my BS.

All that to say, there is no wrong way to get your child the education they deserve. And regardless of the school or type of school, it's vital for parents to be involved and to care about their child's growth. Involved parents can make a public school and the system much better.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 12:57 PM

30. "Yeah, that's why the whole Private vs. Public debate is so tough. There ..."
In response to Reply # 29

SO many different variables...
Of which i'm learning more and more about every day....
I doubt we'd even be exploring private school if we lived back home in Greensboro still...but we'd def. be targeting living within a certain school district.

School Districts here in Arlington are meaningless because all the schools are basically equal on paper. And they're all rated in the Top tier in the state of Virginia...
But with that said...the end result is that everyone's moving here..
and having kids...
and the county isn't keeping up...
so the schools are crowded...and getting worse....

So you can't evaluate the Public vs. Private here in the same way you evaluate it elsewhere in the region even.

flipnile
13575 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 01:18 PM

31. "Put my son in private school partly because of this"

I wasn't liking how the curriculum evolved. Seemed like the class was doing the same shit in December that they were doing in September. He was being held back by not being challenged.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 01:19 PM

32. "Public (well and equitably funded)."
In response to Reply # 0

and Charter Schools need to go in the trash heap.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Fri Feb-01-19 01:50 PM

33. "Public"
In response to Reply # 0

and if we stopped sending kids to private and charter schools, and make demands of government in support of our public schools then everyone could have access to high quality education.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts
Sun Feb-03-19 05:05 AM

34. "You know our city, so I think you'll relate to what I'm saying"
In response to Reply # 0

Growing up, my zone H.S. school was Northern (or Lake Clifton). I'll let you draw your own conclusions there. Through a program for achieving inner city students, I went for a long time to a private school on the tier of a McDonough (higher if you ask me - lol). But even going to a City or Poly, I really don't think I would be as far along educationally and now career wise without that experience. Nevermind the abysmal state of BCPS then and now, but I can't in good conscience give my kids less than I had when my parents had *much* less to work with. Plus, some of the connections later in life if they choose to maintain a relationship with the institution are invaluable. Before I left the States, one of my classmates extended a job offer at a real estate company where he and some other former classmates are VPs. Another is basically a co-owner of TopGolf through VC work. I can't deny my kids that kind of leg up.

Streets won't let me chill.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13310872 Previous topic | Next topic