Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13310142

Subject: "talking cars on a tuesday: this is suppose to be simple" Previous topic | Next topic
tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"talking cars on a tuesday: this is suppose to be simple"

the tmps light came on, 2016 grand Cherokee. put air in, but the light never went away.

bought the part online. NTB installs it, but the light never goes away. took it back to them. they did some more checking and said they believe there's an issue with the dash not reading the sensor.

am I gonna have to holla at the dealer for a stupid tpms light?

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
would removing the fuse that talks to the TPMS work?
Jan 29th 2019
I don't think there's a fuse for it.
Jan 29th 2019
probs...
Jan 29th 2019
they say they did all the tests.
Jan 29th 2019
      Yeah, you gonna have to pull up on the dealership...
Jan 30th 2019
new shocks is like havin a brand new car
Jan 29th 2019
TPMS is cool until you need to replace tires
Jan 29th 2019
Elantra update
Jan 29th 2019
the radio in my car doesn't have the power I'd like.
Jan 29th 2019
for real on the 3 band EQ
Jan 29th 2019
      I'm picky about my audio too.
Jan 31st 2019
An amp will definitely help
Jan 29th 2019
      thats what i wanted to hear
Jan 29th 2019
           The difficult part would be the wiring. An amp would need
Jan 29th 2019
                i did a quick google and naaaah ill pay
Jan 30th 2019
                     It's not terrible, but not exactly a walk in the park either
Jan 30th 2019

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 11:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "would removing the fuse that talks to the TPMS work?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-29-19 11:46 AM by FLUIDJ

Or is that fuse the actual prob. maybe?

wait, you aint' under warranty still???
2016 is pract. brand new

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 12:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I don't think there's a fuse for it."
In response to Reply # 1

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "probs..."
In response to Reply # 0

I would think a place that does tires like NTB would have all of the proper scanners to read/reset the tpms. It's not always a bad sensor when one is not responding...would be the module. They could have not done the reset procedure correctly, once the new sensor was installed...if not, it won't be initialized.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 12:49 PM

7. "they say they did all the tests."
In response to Reply # 2

from what I've read, there's no reset procedure. it supposed to just relearn once the new sensor is on. since the light never went away with the new sensor, I can't say for sure the original sensor was bad.

I hate to go to a dealer for this kinda thing, but I may not have an option.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Wed Jan-30-19 07:39 AM

13. "Yeah, you gonna have to pull up on the dealership..."
In response to Reply # 7

sounds like NTB is bullshittin.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

rdhull
Charter member
33131 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "new shocks is like havin a brand new car"
In response to Reply # 0

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 12:26 PM

4. "TPMS is cool until you need to replace tires"
In response to Reply # 0

hopefully it doesnt end up being a big deal.

i think i went cheap with replacement tires on my 07 sonata and that light stayed on. i was already looking to trade it in so i didnt sweat it. i think i actually went with a used set.

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 12:42 PM

5. "Elantra update"
In response to Reply # 0

really starting to enjoy the car more. most of the issues i had that were related to difference between the traverse are gone.

im used to driving a small car now. definitely like seeing the read out say 30 mpg after a trip. seeing it say 40 after a highway trip is more than cool.

only thing i truly wasnt enjoying was the speakers. got some new ones installed over the weekend. big upgrade but im still tweaking EQ. i tried getting some with big magnets installed but it looks like the radio couldnt power them. got 3 way pioneers in the front and 2 way kenwoods in the back. there seems to be too much treble. i basically had to drop the treble all the way in the EQ and bump the bass all the way. im hoping after a while i can bring them both in some.

when a song has bass it definitely hits. everything sounds clear and sounds even better when its louder. with the factory speakers it kind of got muddy after like mid volume. so if i wanted to bump a track it was disappointing.

im thinking i might got for an amplifier when i get my bonus and maybe a woofer.

having the rear cross traffic sensors is pretty cool. when pulling out of a parking spot it will alert me if someone is walking or driving towards me.

i am not used to the trunk. the traverse had a narrow storage area so cases of water wouldnt have anywhere to go when i was driving. with a sedan trunk its all just wide open. im going to have to figure out a way to keeps things from sliding around and crushing other things.

should get a good test of what i like and dislike after this trip to colorado.

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 01:03 PM

8. "the radio in my car doesn't have the power I'd like."
In response to Reply # 5

had a pioneer with stock speakers in my last ride. it banged. I'm sure the jeep would knock if I got another head unit. its got a bunch of amped speakers and a sub. the sound is crystal clear, but the punch is not what I'm used to and the snares don't snap as well.

the main reason I want a different radio is for android auto. the nav in mine sucks. I barely use it now and speaking to it doesn't work well.

I also wish my radio had a 7-band or more EQ instead of the simple ass 3-band. its pretty lame.

I'd lose some on-screen options like climate control with getting a radio. so I'll prolly keep what I got. the only other option is to put a newer uconnect system in with android auto, but that might cost too much.

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 01:16 PM

9. "for real on the 3 band EQ"
In response to Reply # 8

like why??? my radio is the same.

i know on my 07 sonata replacing the head unit made the factory speakers sound great. that was the last time i was instantly impressed with the quality of the audio.

even replacing these speakers it was a more subtle improvement. i told them i didnt want over powering bass. they delivered on what i asked for. it was kind of like when i was shopping for headphones. i thought i wanted a lot of bass but then when i found some with exaggerated bass i realized i didnt really want that. so when i got a bit more neutral headphones i was kind of like meh at first but then after a few days my ears adjusted and i was really happy with them. im tending the same way with the speakers. they actually have a similar sound signature but with improved clarity in highs.

i need to do some research on what would make more sense. i dont want to replace the factory unit and i figure replacing it with one that has android auto is going to cost the same as getting an amplifier. i definitely dont want to lose any feature. i definitely dont want to spend money on an amplifier if i wont get a lot more punch.

i got a couple of months to get used to this set up and figure out what i want to do.

what im wondering is if the factory tweeters are the cause for too much treble. i basically have two set of tweeters in the front. i dont know if i can have those disabled or if they already did. ill probably call the shop up and see if they remember if they did disable them and what they think. i might need to go back to have them check. im thinking i might go with the two way kenwoods in the front as well if they cant disable the factory tweeters or if they already are. i wont do that until next weekend though. i think on this road trip i should be able to find out if the current set up will be good. im being super picky i think.

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Thu Jan-31-19 01:03 PM

16. "I'm picky about my audio too."
In response to Reply # 9

but I own my preferences lol.

for now, I think I'll have to chill since losing features is not the move. I'll check with the dealer about options to see if anything makes sense.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 06:25 PM

10. "An amp will definitely help"
In response to Reply # 5

Doesn't even need to be something huge. Even a good 50x4 watt amp will drive those speakers 10 times better than the stock radio can. Hit up Crutchfield

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

mista k5
16414 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 06:30 PM

11. "thats what i wanted to hear"
In response to Reply # 10

how difficult is it to install one? the place would probably install it for me if i bought my own but not sure and dont know for how much.

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Tue Jan-29-19 08:14 PM

12. "The difficult part would be the wiring. An amp would need "
In response to Reply # 11

power run from the battery, plus the wiring to the speakers. It’s not as simple as swapping out a head unit.

mista k5
16414 posts
Wed Jan-30-19 10:22 AM

14. "i did a quick google and naaaah ill pay"
In response to Reply # 12

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Wed Jan-30-19 01:06 PM

15. "It's not terrible, but not exactly a walk in the park either"
In response to Reply # 14

Amp needs power from the battery, input from the stereo, and output to the individual speakers. Even if you can tap into the factory wiring for the input and output, you're looking at running a bunch of wire under the carpet and trim panels. Not difficult, but definitely time consuming.

The more technical bit these days is that most cars have the audio integrated with a few other systems in the car, so running a clean signal to the amp isn't always as straightforward as it would be if you were installing an aftermarket head unit (which is almost impossible these days)

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Lobby General Discussion topic #13310142 Previous topic | Next topic